• ベストアンサー

The の付け方。

例題で…… The conductor whom I had never met suddenly called me Ken. Applicants whom we hire must be rational. The candidate whom I interviewed today has a lot of qualifications. Students whose score on the written exam is below average cannot take the listning exam. この先行詞たちにはTheが付いたり付かなかったりなのですが、その理由が分かりません。 どうして、Theが付いたり付かなかったりするのか教えて下さい。 よろしくお願いします!

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

The conductor と The candidate は実際に会った、名前がある具体的な人です。頭の中に顔を思い浮かべられる特定の人なので定冠詞を取ります。 Applicants whom we hire は、まだ誰と決まってはいません。Students whose score on the written exam is below averageは、現在~未来の試験を受ける人すべてのうち、これこれの条件に当てはまる人ということなので、これも確定していません。こうした不確定な人は不定冠詞になります(複数なので無冠詞に見えますが、不定冠詞です)。

dennsizisyo
質問者

お礼

詳しい説明をありがとうございます! 外人はこういうのを無意識でやっていると思い、言語の奥深さを知りました。

その他の回答 (1)

• sunasearch
  • ベストアンサー率35% (632/1788)
回答No.1

Applicants, Students は、先行詞以下のそういう人たち「一般」を指しているのでtheがつかないのですが、 conductor, candidate は先行詞以下の「特定」の人を指しているのでtheがいるのです。

dennsizisyo
質問者

お礼

なるほど。そういうことだったんですね! お陰ですっきりしました。ありがとうございました!

関連するQ&A

• 関係代名詞(目的格)でwhoの使えない場合がある?

ある問題集で、 Even the students (who, whose, whom) I thought to be clever could not solve the problem. (カッコの中から適切な語を一つ選べ) の答えが、whomになっているのですが、この場合、なぜwhoではダメなのでしょうか。 英文法にお詳しい方、ご教示ください。

• 問題を解いてみたのですが、間違えていますよね💦

次の[]に適する語を( )から選び、書きなさい。 (1)I have friend [who]can speak Chinese. (which. who. whose) (2)Here is a coin [that] I found yesterday. (who. that. whom) (3)I know the woman [who]with Jack. (who. walking. walked) (4)This is the novel [which] he wrote. (who. whom. which) (5)They saw a camera [which] by the photographer. (which. using. used) (6)We use [recycled] paper. (recycle. recycling. recycled) (7)He is a boy [whose] father is a musician. (who. whose. whom) (8)Who is that [crying] girl? (cry. crying. cried) (9)She lives in the house [that]has a lot of windows. (who. whom. that) (10)The girl [whose] we met last night was very tall. (who. whom. whose)

• 関係代名詞について

関係代名詞について (1)と(2)の文はどう違うのですか? 何で、(1)はコンマがあるのですか?何で、(2)はコンマがないのですか? (1)Those children can go now. Their parents have arrived. =Those children whose parents have arrived,can go now. (2)The student has entered Cambridge University. I showed you his essay. =The student whose essay I showed you has entered Cambridge University. また、下記の答えはどちらが正しいでしょうか? 問題:Hemingway is the writer. I like him best. 答え(1):Hemingway is the writer whom I like best. 答え(2):Hemingway whom I like best is the writer. 答え(3):Hemingway whom I like best, is the writer.

• この問題を教えてください!

次の____に適する語を( )から選び、書きなさい。 (1)I have friend ____ can speak Chinese. (which. who. whose) (2)Here is a coin ____ I found yesterday. (who. that. whom) (3)I know the woman ____ with Jack. (who. walking. walked) (4)This is the novel ____ he wrote. (who. whom. which) (5)They saw a camera ____ by the photographer. (which. using. used) (6)We use ____ paper. (recycle. recycling. recycled) (7)He is a boy ____ father is a musician. (who. whose. whom) (8)Who is that ____ girl? (cry. crying. cried) (9)She is lives in the house ____ has a lot of windows. (who. whom. that) (10)The girl ____ we met last night was very tall. (who. whom. whose)

• 答え合わせお願いします。2文を1文に。

The man is sitting over there. He wrote that best-selling novel. The man who he wrote whom best-selling novel is sitteing over there. The book is for the students. Their native language is not English The book is whose native language is not English for the students She showed me the letter. She received it from her boyfriend. She showed me the letter which she received from her boyfriend. The bed wasn't very comfortable. I slept in it last night The bed in which I slept last night wasn't very comfortable. The bed which I slept in last night wasn't very comfortable.

• 関係詞

「次の二つの文を関係詞を使って一文にせよ。」という問題がありました。 (1)The man was very angry. I took his hat by mistake. 私の解答→The man whose hat I took by mistake was very angry. 「whose hat I took」という表現はありなのでしょうか? (2)He is the doctor. We visited him the other day. 私の解答→He is the doctor whom we wisited the other day. 先行詞はthe doctorでよいのでしょうか? 次の( )内に関係詞を入れて文を完成させよ。 The book the cover ( )blue is mine.   私はwhoseだとは思うのですが、この文の構造がよくわかりません。「カバーが青い本は私のものだ。」と何となく訳してみたものの、The book the coverと名詞が続いているのがどうしてなのかもよくわかりません。 どうぞ宜しくお願いします。

• 英語問題

1:That tall man () just come in my father. (1)whose has (2)who has (3)whom has (4)which has 2:Ynkohama is the city () population is the second largest in Japan. (1)that (2)which (3)whom (4)whose 3:The woman () I thought was her mother turned out to be a total stranger. (1)who (2)whose (3)about whom (4)whom 4:This is the house () he lived when young. (1)which (2)in which (3)in that (4)what 5:Japan is one of the few countries () people drive on the left. (1)how (2)what (3)where (4)which 解答と訳をお願いします

• 翻訳お願いします

DeutschEnglish Bachelor admission for candidates without Swiss matriculation certificate Admissions Office closed... ... 24 Dec 12 - 4 Jan 13 * Season's Greetings and a Happy New Year! * Apply online to autumn semester 2013 How to apply Schedule Application 1 November 2012 - 30 April 2013 ***FROM 2013 ETH WILL NO LONGER OFFER A GERMAN-LANGUAGE EXAM AS PART OF THE REDUCED ENTRANCE EXAM!*** FOR LANGUAGE CERTIFICATES RECOGNIZED BY ETH, PLEASE SEE HERE . Application is open to everybody. ETH Zurich may, however, require you to pass an entrance examination before admitting you. before admitting you. This entrance examination has to be taken by all applicants whose qualifications do not fulfill the criteria for regular admission, i.e., candidates without a recognised Swiss matriculation certificate or Diploma from a university of applied sciences, or whose matriculation certificate is not considered equivalent to a Swiss certificate.

• 関係代名詞の入った文について

I know a boy whose name is Ken ケンという名前の少年を知っている The man who has a bag there is Bob そこでバッグを持っているその男性はボブです Mary is a girl whose eyes are blue メアリーは目の青い少女です 質問というのはwhoとwhoseの使いわけがいまいちわかりません 具体的にわかりやすくおしえてほしいです 後は日本語から英文にする時に何故このような順番で構成されていくのかわかりません 英文を作る時の基本的な事がわかっていないと思いますのでわかりやすくご指導お願いします

• 翻訳お願いします

The man who wrote that best-selling novel is sitteing over there. The book is for the students whose native language is not English. She showed me the letter which she received from her boyfriend. The bed which I slept in last night wasn't very comfortable.