• ベストアンサー

英文について教えてください

Bloombergに載っている記事(下のリンク先)の英文について教えてください。 http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-03/dollar-bulls-undone-by-yellen-question-rally-s-legs-currencies 最後から3段落目に、 For the dollar to make the "next leg" higher, とあるのですが、これはどういう意味でしょうか。 わかる方がいましたら、ご回答よろしくお願いします。

noname#205495
noname#205495
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1。 ここの leg は、下記の辞典にもあるように、stage と言う意味です。 http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/american-english/leg  よく株式市場では下記のように、漠然とした「次の段階」と言う表現で、「~年の~四半期」と言った明確な予言を避けたい時、引用符などを付けてぼかす場合もあります。   http://online.barrons.com/articles/5-ways-to-profit-in-the-next-leg-of-the-bull-market-1418128642 2。ご質問 「最後から3段落目に、For the dollar to make the "next leg" higher,とあるのですが、これはどういう意味でしょうか。」  は、「将来ドル高を実現させたいなら」といった意味だと思います。

noname#205495
質問者

お礼

もう一段階のさらなるドル高という意味だったのですね。 ご回答ありがとうございました。助かりました。

関連するQ&A

• 英文和訳

This attention is welcome. But today’s spike is only part of a broader set of worries. As countries focus on food, they need to distinguish between three classes of problem: structural, temporary and irrelevant. Unfortunately, policymakers have so far paid too much attention to the last of these and not enough to the first. The main reasons for high prices are temporary: drought in Russia and Argentina; floods in Canada and Pakistan; export bans by countries determined to maintain their own supplies, whatever the cost to others; panic buying by importers spooked into restocking their grain reserves. Influences outside agriculture make matters worse: a weaker dollar makes restocking cheaper in local currencies; and dearer oil pushes up the cost of inputs (it takes vast amounts of energy to make nitrogen fertiliser, so fertiliser prices track oil prices). どなたかお願いします

• The Economist経済コラムの一節・if the consensus is bearish~

手元に質問が溜まっていますので、以前の質問で決着のついていないものもありますが、同時並行して質問させていただきます。 The Economist の経済コラムからの質問です。12月30日の「Ready for a rally?」と題するもの。 中途の段落を念のため2つ引用します。 But corporate collapses would hardly count as the big surprise of 2009. What would? Country risk also returned in the course of 2008, with Iceland the most notable example. But although emerging-market bond spreads have widened, they have not done so to anything like the same extent as high-yield debt. There may be some more country defaults in 2009, as export volumes and commodity-related revenues slump, and as Western banks, under political pressure, focus on domestic rather than international lending. Markets have a terrible tendency to inflict maximum pain on the maximum number of investors. For example, if the consensus is bearish on the dollar, investors will be positioned for a decline in the American currency. If the greenback then rises, investors are forced to buy the dollar, pushing the currency up even further. 上記文章中の if the consensus is bearish on the dollar, investors will be positioned for a decline in the American currency. If the greenback then rises, investors are forced to buy the dollar, pushing the currency up even further. の部分の意味を経済金融の素人にもわかるようにご説明ください。 なお、質問箇所以外の部分の意味はざっと次のようなものと思います。 しかし、2009年は、企業の破綻のニュースが予想外と受け取られることはまずないだろう。では、そう受け取られるものはあるだろうか。2008年にはカントリーリスクが再登場した。アイスランドがその最も顕著な例である。だが、新興諸国の債券スプレッドが拡大したとはいえ、それは高利回り債ほどではない。2009年には、より多くの国が債務不履行に陥るかもしれない。輸出量とコモディティ関連の収益が低迷を続け、西欧諸国の銀行が政治的圧力から海外での融資よりも国内での融資に力を注ぐからである。 市場には最大多数の投資家にできる限りの痛みを押しつけるという恐るべき傾向がある。例えば、if the consensus is bearish on the dollar, ~

• 英語 受動態の問題です!

英語 受動態の問題です 多いかもしれませんがお願いします。 次の各組の英文がほぼ同じ意味になるように()内に適語を入れてください! 1.They canceled all flights because of fog. All flights () () because of fog. 2.The news surprised everybody. Everybody () () () the news. 3.We can't see stars in this city. Stars () () () in this city. 4.We have known the priest as Saint Valentine. The priest () () () as Saint Valentine. ()内の動詞を適切な受動態に変えてください! 1.Cheese (make) from milk. 2.How much of the earth's surface (cover) by water? 3.A decision (not make) until the next meeting in May. 4.I (ask) a lot of difficult questions, and I couldn't answer some of them. 以上です! すみませんがお願いします!

• 和訳してください\(+×+)/

question:Why do riders always mount their horses from the left? answer:The custom began centuries ago when men carried swords. since most men are right-handed, the sword was usually carried on the left hip to make it easier for the right hand to reach. With a long sword hanging from a rider's left side, it was clearly easier for him to mount his horse by putting his left foot into the stirrup and then throwing his right leg across the horse's back. therefore, the horse, of course, should be mounted from the left. Even after riders no longer carried swords, mounting from the left remained the custom.

• 翻訳出来る方、教えて下さいm(_ _)m

翻訳出来る方、教えて下さいm(_ _)m   The freight offer was based on AIR CARGO  not on DHL  this time.  But the Japanese forwarder (partner of Panalpina)  does not accept to make customs clearance for private persons, except if the supplier pre-pays the import duties.  So they are the following 2 solutions now:  1)      We send your shipment by DHL  as allways        -  The freigth charge is Euro 180,00 higher than  with air cargo.  You could pay this difference of Euro 180,00 to us together with your next order 2)      We send it by air cargo  and accept to prepay the Japanese customs duties.  In that case we will send you the invoice for the customs duties after we paid it and will ask you to pay it back to us  by PayPal or bank remittance  Please let us know which solution you prefer.  Your shipment cannot be dispatched before we answer to the forwarder.  Sorry for this inconvience.

• 英文翻訳をお願いします

長文になりますがよろしくお願いします。 Female Power The economic empowerment of women across the rich world is one of the most remarkable revolutions of the past 50 years. It is remarkable because of the extent of the change: millions of people who were once dependent on men have taken control of their own economic fates. It is remarkable also because it has produced so little friction:a change that affects the most intimate aspects of people’s identities has been widely welcomed by men as well as women. Dramatic social change seldom takes such a benign form. Yet even benign change can come with a sting in its tail. Social arrangements have not caught up with economic changes. Many children have paid price for the rise of the two-income household. Many women-and indeed many men-feel that they are caught in an ever-tightening tangle of commitments. If the empowerment of women was one of the great changes of the great changes of the past 50 years, dealing with its social consequences will be one of the great challenges of the next 50. At the end of her campaign to become America’s first female president in 2008, Hillary Clinton remarked that her 18m votes in the Democratic Party’s primaries represented 18m cracks in the glass celling. In the market for jobs rather than votes the ceiling is being cracked every day. Women now make up almost half of American workers(49.9% in October.) They run some of the world’s best companies, such as PepsiCo, Archer Daniels Midland and W.L. Gore. The earn almost 60% of university degrees in America and Europe. Progress has not been uniform of course. In Italy and Japan employment rates for men are more than 20 percentage points higher for women. Although Italy’s female employment rate has risen markedly in the past decade, it is still below 50%, and more than 20 percentage points below those of Denmark and Sweden. Women earn substantially less than men on average and are severely under-represented at the top of organisations. The change is dramatic nevertheless. A generation ago working women performed menial jobs and were routinely subjected to casual sexism-as “Mad Men”, a television drama about advertising executives in the early 1960s, demonstrates brilliantly. Today women make up the majority of professional workers in many countries(51% in the United States, for example) and casual sexism is for losers. Even holdouts such as the Mediterranean countries are changing rapidly. In Spain the proportion of young women in the labour force has now reached American levels. The glass is much nearer to begin half full than half empty. What explains this revolution? Politics have clearly played a part. Feminists such as betty Friedan have demonised domestic slavery and lambasted discrimination. Governments have passed equal-rights acts. Female politicians such as Margaret Thatcher and Mrs. Clinton have taught younger women that anything is possible. But politics is only part of the answer: such discordant figures as Ms. Friedan and Lady Thatcher have been born aloft by subterranean economic and technological forces. The rich world has seen a growing demand for women’s labour. When brute strength mattered more than brains, men had an inherent advantage. Now that brainpower has triumphed the two sexes are more evenly matched. The feminisation of the workforce has been driven by the relentless rise of the service sector(where women can compete as well as men) and the equally relentless decline of manufacturing(where they could not). the landmark book in the rise of feminism was arguably not Ms. Friedan’s “The Feminine Mystique” but Daniel Bell’s “The Coming of Post-Industrial Society”. Demand has been matched by supply:women are increasingly willing and able to work outside the home. The vacuum cleaner has played its part. Improved technology reduced the amount of time needed for the traditional female work of cleaning and cooking. But the most important innovation has been the contraceptive pill.

• 英語が得意な方!英文添削おねがいします

私はかつて、「母が今度の日曜日に、あなたに日本の家庭料理を味わってほしいと思っています」と言って、マレーシアから来た学生を夕食に招待した。 I once said to the student from Malaysia,"My mother wants you to enjoy Japanese home cooking next Sunday."and so I invated her to our supper. 彼女は私の招待を喜んで受けて、来る事を約束した。 She was willing to accept and made a promise to come. しかし、夕食の約束の前日に、彼女は私に電話をかけてきて、「明日いけません」と言った。 The day before promised day, however, she called and said that she couldn't come next day. 「どうして明日都合をつけられないのですか?」「では、一番都合がよいのはいつですか?」という私の2つの質問には答えず、彼女は「本当に申し訳ありません」と繰り返すだけだった。 She just repeated,"I'm really sorry."without replying my two questions,"How come you cannot make good?"and"Well, when is your most convenient day?" 彼女はいつもはっきりと言うのに、なぜこのことは曖昧なままにしたのだろうと、私は不思議に思った。 I wondered why she had such unclear attitude, who usually has clear attitude. 次に会ったとき、私はわざと厳しい口調で「あなたの国では、そのはっきりとした理由を言わずに約束を破ることが失礼だとは思われていないのですか」と彼女に聞いた。 Next time we met, I asked her,"In your country, don't you think breaking a promise without clear reasons is disrespect, do you?"with intentional strict tones. 彼女は私の質問に当惑したようだった。 She seemed to be bewildered for my question. 少しためらった後で彼女は答えた。 She replied after a little hesitation. 「京都にいる私のマレーシア人の友人の一人が、日本人が『どうぞ私の家にお立ち寄りください』と言う時は、本当はそのつもりではないと私に言いました。 "One of my Malaysian friends in Kyoto said to me that when Japanese people say 'Please come and see to my home' the word doesn't have true sense. 実際、ほかの人の訪問は、日本人にとって迷惑だと言うのです。 And she also said it's inconvenience for Japanese to be visited by other person. 私はあなたにご迷惑をおかけしたくなかったので、ご招待をお断りしたのです。」 So, I didn't wanna give a inconvenience to you and diclined your invitation." 彼女は続けて「なぜ、多くの日本人は社交辞令を使うのですか」と言った。 Constantly, she asked me,"Why do many Japanese people use meaningless words?" 今度は私が当惑する番だった。 I was puzzled in turn. かつて私も、「近くにいらしたらどうぞお立ち寄りください。」や「ありがとう。是非そうさせていただきます。」といったあいさつの言葉に同じような疑問を持った。 Once I also had a question about the greeting words,"Please come and see if you are near my house."and "Thank you. I'll do so by all means." これらのあいさつの意味を理解するのに私はかなりの時間がかかった。 It took a lot of time for me to comprehend the meaning of these greeting words. 私は彼女に説明した。 I explained to her that 「これらのあいさつは『あなたは私の家をいつ訪ねてきてくれてもいいくらいに親しい人です』 these greeting words meant "You are so intimate for me that I can accept your coming whenever you want to."and 『もちろん、わかっていますよ』という意味なのです。 "Of course, I know." このような社交辞令は、具体的な行動を起こすことを意図していないのです。 These meaningless words don't intend to take concrete actions. でも、私の招待は『母が今度の日曜日に、あなたに日本の家庭料理を味わってほしいと思っています』という具体的な言葉で言いましたよ。 Yet, my invitation involved concrete words,"My mother wants you to enjoy Japanese home made cooking next Sunday." 特定の日時で言ったのだから、けっして社交辞令ではなかったし、そのつもりで言ったのではありません。」 I gave you specific date, so it was never meaningless word and I didn't mean it that way. 私は彼女が来てくれなかったので本当にがっかりしたことを強調した。 I emphasized my disappointment for not coming her actually. 「日本文化には理解しにくいことがいくつかありますね。 "There are some things difficult to understand in Japanese cultures. でもあなたが私をほんとうに歓迎してくだっさたのだとわかってうれしいです。」 But I glad to tell your invitation is true." 彼女の心からの笑顔にわたしはほっとした。 Her smile from bottom of her heart made me relieved.

• 英文を和訳して下さい。

Owing to a failure to co-ordinate timings, the field artillery preparation of the forward positions ceased at 04:23, although the naval guns continued to engage some of the depth targets. While the original plan had been for the attack to begin as soon as the artillery had stopped, local commanders did not adjust their plans following the early cutoff of preparatory fires and the attack was not launched until the appointed time of 04:30. After the artillery firing ceased, no-one in the assaulting force knew if the bombardment was to continue. It was later discovered that the synchronisation of watches between the artillery officer and the assault officer was overlooked.[54] As the attack was not launched as soon as the bombardment ceased, but instead held back until the planned time of 04:30, the Ottoman defenders had ample time to return to their trenches – which were largely undamaged – and prepare for the assault that they now knew was coming. The first wave of 150 men from the 8th Light Horse Regiment, led by their commander, Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Henry White, "hopped the bags" and went over the top. They were met with a hail of machine gun and rifle fire and, within 30 seconds, White and all of his men were gunned down. A few men reached the Ottoman trenches, where they began to hurl grenades and marker flags were reportedly seen flying around the south-eastern corner of the Ottoman trench line, but the men were quickly overwhelmed by the Ottoman defenders. At this stage, the futility of the effort became clear to those in the second wave and, according to Carlyon, the attack should have been called off at this point. The second wave of 150 followed the first without question two minutes later and met the same fate, almost all the men being cut down by heavy rifle and machine gun fire before they got halfway to the Ottoman trench. This contrasted with the simultaneous attack by the 2nd Light Horse Regiment (1st Light Horse Brigade) at Quinn's Post, against the Ottoman trench system known as "The Chessboard", which was abandoned after 49 out of the 50 men in the first wave became casualties. In this case, the regiment's commander had not gone in the first wave and so was able to make the decision to cancel further attacks. As the third wave, consisting of men from the 10th Light Horse Regiment, began assembling in the forward trench, two Ottoman field artillery pieces began firing into no man's land. Lieutenant Colonel Noel Brazier, commander of the 10th Light Horse Regiment, attempted to have the third wave cancelled. He was unable to find Hughes – who had moved to an observation post– and instead found Antill. A strong personality, Antill exerted a large amount of influence within Hughes' command, and had a personal dislike of Brazier, who he felt was being insubordinate in questioning orders. Antill had received the reports that marker flags, implying success, had been sighted. This report of marker flags was subsequently confirmed in a Turkish article published after the war, where it was stated by the commander of the Turkish 27th Regiment that a couple of men with a marker flag reached the Ottoman trench and raised the flag, but were killed. Antill had not checked the scene to establish if it was of any use to send the next wave, nor did he confirm if the marker flags were still in place, and after heated words with Brazier issued the order for the third wave to proceed without referring the matter to Hughes. Without being able to speak to Godley, who was at his headquarters on the beach, Brazier returned to the forward Australian position at Russell's Top and gave the order for the third wave to attack, telling them "Sorry, lads, but the order is to go".

• 英文を日本語に訳してください

以下のサイトの英文を日本語に訳してください。ご回答よろしくお願いします。 https://publications.nigms.nih.gov/medbydesign/chapter1.html Scientists have names for the four basic stages of a medicine's life in the body: absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion. The entire process is sometimes abbreviated ADME. The first stage is absorption. Medicines can enter the body in many different ways, and they are absorbed when they travel from the site of administration into the body's circulation. A few of the most common ways to administer drugs are oral (swallowing an aspirin tablet), intramuscular (getting a flu shot in an arm muscle), subcutaneous (injecting insulin just under the skin), intravenous (receiving chemotherapy through a vein), or transdermal (wearing a skin patch). A drug faces its biggest hurdles during absorption. Medicines taken by mouth are shuttled via a special blood vessel leading from the digestive tract to the liver, where a large amount may be destroyed by metabolic enzymes in the so-called "first-pass effect." Other routes of drug administration bypass the liver, entering the bloodstream directly or via the skin or lungs. Once a drug gets absorbed, the next stage is distribution. Most often, the bloodstream carries medicines throughout the body. During this step, side effects can occur when a drug has an effect in an organ other than the target organ. For a pain reliever, the target organ might be a sore muscle in the leg; irritation of the stomach could be a side effect. Many factors influence distribution, such as the presence of protein and fat molecules in the blood that can put drug molecules out of commission by grabbing onto them. Drugs destined for the central nervous system (the brain and spinal cord) face an enormous hurdle: a nearly impenetrable barricade called the blood-brain barrier. This blockade is built from a tightly woven mesh of capillaries cemented together to protect the brain from potentially dangerous substances such as poisons or viruses. Yet pharmacologists have devised various ways to sneak some drugs past this barrier. After a medicine has been distributed throughout the body and has done its job, the drug is broken down, or metabolized. The breaking down of a drug molecule usually involves two steps that take place mostly in the body's chemical processing plant, the liver. The liver is a site of continuous and frenzied, yet carefully controlled, activity. Everything that enters the bloodstream—whether swallowed, injected, inhaled, absorbed through the skin, or produced by the body itself—is carried to this largest internal organ. There, substances are chemically pummeled, twisted, cut apart, stuck together, and transformed. The biotransformations that take place in the liver are performed by the body's busiest proteins, its enzymes. Every one of your cells has a variety of enzymes, drawn from a repertoire of hundreds of thousands. Each enzyme specializes in a particular job. Some break molecules apart, while others link small molecules into long chains. With drugs, the first step is usually to make the substance easier to get rid of in urine. Many of the products of enzymatic breakdown, which are called metabolites, are less chemically active than the original molecule. For this reason, scientists refer to the liver as a "detoxifying" organ. Occasionally, however, drug metabolites can have chemical activities of their own—sometimes as powerful as those of the original drug. When prescribing certain drugs, doctors must take into account these added effects. Once liver enzymes are finished working on a medicine, the now-inactive drug undergoes the final stage of its time in the body, excretion, as it exits via the urine or feces. A drug's life in the body. Medicines taken by mouth (oral) pass through the liver before they are absorbed into the bloodstream. Other forms of drug administration bypass the liver, entering the blood directly. Drugs enter different layers of skin via intramuscular, subcutan

• 長文ですが、英文和訳教えてください!!

ナスカの地上絵を、祖国から離れてでも守ろうとする女性の話です。 宜しくお願いします! Maria Reiche was born on May 15,1903,in Dresden,German. She graduated from the Dresden Technical University,whereshe studied mathematics,geography,and foreign languages. In 1932,Maria was a 29-year-old unmarried woman who was not happy with the political mood in Germany,especially with the rise of the Nazi party and a frightening leader named Adolf Hitler. She looked for any possible way to leave her country. One day,Maria found an ad in the newspaper asking for a woman to work as a nanny and a teacher for two children of a German consul living in Cusco,Peru. Soon after she applied for the job,she was hired. So off she sailed,full of hope for a better future. Maria loved the Andean mountains and enjoyed her years working with the two children in the ancient Inca capital of Cusco. At this time she had not even heard about the Lines of Nazca. In 1939,Maria was teaching in Lima,the capital of Peru, and doing scientific translations. By then ,Germany was already at war in Europe, so she didn't want to go back to her country. Then Maria heard from an American scientist in Lima about the mysterious Lines and Figures of Nazca,which he had recently seen from an airplane . She was interested enough to take a flight herself in a small plane over the Nazca desert(pampa) . When she saw the figures from the airplane of the spider, the hummingbird and the monkey ,she was so fascinated by them that she moved to Nazca to study the Lines herself.Maria Ruiche made many flights by plane and helicopter ,taking photographs of the many lines and figures on the pampa. She was especially drawn to the image of the monkey, but when she enlarged the photos she had taken, she was amazed to see that one hand had only four fingers...just like her. When she first came to Peru , one finger was amputated after it developed gangrene from a cactus infection. She then learned that Peruvian ancestors believed that this was a mark from the God of Thunder, which gave special power to communicate with the gods. For the next 40years, Maria lived alone on the pampa in a tiny one-room house , just to study and guard the mysterious Lines of Nazca/ One of the biggest threats to preserving the Lines was the Pan American Highway that cut across the pampa, slicing the picture of the long , crocodile-looking lizard in half. After Maria published a few articles about the Lines , more and more people started coming to Nazca so they could go out on the pampa to see the figures and lines for themselves. Maria persuaded the government of Peru to make the pampa a restricted area,so no one could walk on the desert except her assistant and herself. She was given many honors by the Peruvian government before she died, including Honorary Citizen of Peru and the title of Great Lady of Nazca. Everyone in the town of Nazca had grown to love and respect this woman who had come from far away to reveal to them the secrets of their ancestors , secrets that had been hidden out in plain sight for two thousand years.