• ベストアンサー
※ ChatGPTを利用し、要約された質問です(原文:スマフォ関連の新聞コラムの意味を教えてください。)

スマフォ関連新聞コラムの意味

このQ&Aのポイント
  • スマフォ関連の新聞コラムの意味を教えてください。
  • スマートフォンについてのコラムです。この記者は、メールなどの着信があれば、ピカピカ点滅してその着信をしらせてくれるスマートフォンが気になってしょうがありません。
  • スマートフォンに支配されているかのようですが、コラムの最後にアップルのジョブス社長の引退を引き合いに出し、以下のようにコメントしています。 With this admission of surrender, may I send a sincere wish of good health to Mr.Steve Jobs as he moves on to retirement? I will admit I am hoping that without this genius pioneer around to ever make another small and sexy product with a bigger-than-life billboard and commercial campaign, I might get the opportunity to go back to living in the moment and off my little electronic minders.

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

No.1です。 お礼文を拝見しました。 >ひとつの可能性としてですが、without以下の文章は仮定法であるということはないでしょうか。 よく勉強しておいでですね。 おっしゃるとおり、withoutでもwithでも、その他の副詞句でも、条件を示して仮定法の文と一緒に使うというのは、ありふれた文体です。 しかしながら、仮定法というのは要するに、「現在の内容でも過去形で文章を書く」ということです。 (未来を語る助動詞willや、mayを現在形と呼ぶなら、would、mightは過去形) つまり、過去形になってさえいれば、条件が示されていようといなかろうと、何でも仮定法と思っていただいてもいいほどだと思います。 この文章の筆者は、Steve Jobsさんがいなくなることや同社の製品が二度と手に入らなくなることを本気で願っているとは思えないので、おっしゃるように、反語的なニュアンスで述べているものだと、文脈から私もそう思います。 ただ、仮定法というのは、断定とか強い意志といったものを隠し、「控えめな気持ち」を表す表現です。 ですから、必ずしも反語的な意味でなくてもよく、別に結論が変わることはないのだけれど口調を柔らかくするためにとりあえず過去形にしておく、といった使い方は会話でもたくさん出てくるものです。 英語では、同じ内容でも過去形にすると、口調が変わるのです。 大人な感じの言い方ともいえそうですね。

miniandp
質問者

お礼

わかりやすく教えていただいてありがとうございました。反語的でなく、控えめに気持ちを表現していると理解しました。そうゆうふうにとたえれば、「今後は、スマホに過度に気を取られないようにし、家族との時間を大事にしていければいいな」というコラムニストの気持ちが伝わってきます。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

aroundは、「近くに、そのあたりに(このあたりに)」という意味の副詞。 まず、「without...campaign」という長い部分が、「I might...」以下を修飾しているのがお分かりですか。 「without...campaign」という部分のうち「to...billboard」は、「this genius pioneer」が何をした人であるのかを説明する形容詞句。 ですからこれを除くと、「without...campaign」という部分は「without this genius pioneer around and (without) commercial campaign」(この天才的なパイオニアが側におらず、宣伝活動もなく)という構造になっています。 「without this genius pioneer」と「around」はともに副詞(句)であるという意味では、互いに独立して使えるはずですが、実際には、意味的にセットで使われますから、半分独立といった感じです。 つまり「without this genius pioneer」も「around」も「I might...」以下を修飾するために使われていますが、「around」のみで出てくることはないという表現です。 「around」だけしか書いてなかったら、意味が通じませんよね。 「ever」は、「never」から「n」を取った形。 少し前で「without」と否定しているので。 「not ... ever」や「without ... ever」は、「never」と同じ意味ですね。 全体を訳すとこんな感じ。 「今回の降伏を自白し、私は、Steve Jobs氏が引退するに際し、その健康を心から願っているとの気持ちを伝えてもいいだろうか。この天才的なパイオニアが身近に登場せず、命より大事な掲示板(あるいはメールの受信リスト)を有する小さくてsexyな製品を新たに作ることはなくなり、宣伝活動もなくなることで、現在に生き、小さな電子管理人から解き放たれた暮らしに戻る機会が得られることを、私は望んでいるのだと打ち明けよう。」

miniandp
質問者

補足

コメントありがとうございます。すごくわかりやすかったです。ひとつの可能性としてですが、without 以下の文章は仮定法であるということはないでしょうか。Without・・・・, I might・・・・・. の構文です。「もしジョブズがいなくなり、セクシーで魅力的な製品がでなくなれば、小さな電子管理人から解き放たれるのに。でも、実際はジョブズは生きていて、魅力的な製品が生まれる可能性があり、それがまたわたしを夢中にさせてくれる。」そんなことを実は願っている(I will admitt I am hoping )。 ひとつ前の文章で、ジョブズの健康を心から願っており、それはジョブズにずっとアップルにかかわってもらいたい、いい製品を出してもらいたいからかなっても思えるのでは。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 意味を教えてください

My first visit to Tokyo was a sensory overload unlike any I’d ever experienced. The sheer bombardment of sights, sounds and smells coupled with the labyrinthine train system are enough to give even an expert gamer synesthesia. I honestly never thought I was going to be able to get around a monstro-megalopolis like this. It took me a few months (and a ton of mistakes) to get some semblance of my bearings, sensory overloadとsemblance of my bearingsの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 意味を教えてください

(同じ大学にに嫌な奴がいるという文脈) He reached out to me with the notion that “we should catch up” because I was “one of the most genuine and caring people he knew.” This fucked with my head, and I immediately fell back into freshman-year me — I got blackout drunk, talked to him at a party, and I can’t remember what I said to him. We haven’t spoken since. Cue the intense regret, anxiety, and self-loathing. fucked with my headとここでのCue の意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• どのような意味でしょうか

I'm 29. I never had a chance to date in high school. My family farms, and when I was 14, my grandfather could no longer help my dad. Dad couldn't take care of things alone, so I would go out and help him the minute I got home from school every day. Between the farm work and keeping up with my studies, I had to grow up fast. I graduated with a 3.5 grade point average, but because I had no time for dating, this part of my development has always been off. this part of my development has always been offとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• どのような意味でしょうか

I went to London, where I’d originally dreamed of riding a big red bus, catching a glimpse of Will and Kate, and cheersing full pints at the local pub. Instead, I found myself wandering down a trash-filled street, desperately trying to match up the address on my iPhone with the myriad gray buildings in front of me. I’d decided to explore a new profession while I was traveling. So, I was headed to a free (borderline-cheesy-looking) personal development seminar that Saturday morning. The rest of the people in the room were impressive, super-smart, and overly kind. Even more surprisingly, every single one of them were locals. 60 Londoners, and one traveling American—me. That’s when it dawned on me, while we all sacrificed our Saturday, to sit in a room full of strangers and “check out” a new potential passion— they were doing this in their hometown, without quitting their day jobs. Somehow, I missed the memo. 最後のmissed the memoはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 意味を教えてください

I am 31, recently out of a 12-year relationship (and three-year marriage), and am at a loss. While I was chubby when my ex and I started dating, my weight became an issue of contention near the end of my marriage. I’d like to have kids, and would therefore like to start dating, maybe find someone to have a family with. I feel short of time given that I spent all of my 20s in a relationship that didn’t work out in that way. I am clinically obese though I’ve been told that I am attractive and carry it well. Should I wait until I lose the approximately 30 pounds that I need to lose to be at a normal weight, or can I realistically date now? I know this is a strange question and somewhat individual but while I sometimes chat with people on dating apps like Tinder or OKCupid (my pics are recent and accurate, though flattering), I tend to dodge out before making plans to meet because I am nervous about reactions to my weight. carry it wellとdodge outの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• どのような意味でしょうか

I've been working within my industry for over 25 years. I've been working at my current firm for a year. Recently, we advertised a job opening. As regional manager, I screened the applications and passed my selections on to human resources to finalize. The candidate I preferred was a woman with 24 years of experience, "Barb." Barb was making $115,000 per year but said she was willing to take a cut. We decided to offer her the job. When I got a copy of the offer letter from HR, I was astonished that the head of HR, "Sarah," had offered Barb $120,000. My other seven sales reps' salaries were averaging between $100,000 and $105,000. Only one of them was making $110,000, and he has 19 years of experience. I had a talk with Sarah as to the reason for this unfairness. Her reply was that she had crunched the industry salaries on the market and decided to offer this amount. crunched the industry salaries on the markeとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• どのような意味でしょうか

When I was a freshman, I started hanging out with a sophomore guy. I began to get suspicious that he liked me, and then he asked me out. At the time I had no experience of this kind of thing (and had convinced myself that no one would ever like me), so I panicked and ended up kicking up a lot of drama. kicking up a lot of dramaはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• どのような意味でしょうか

After many hours of crying and shouting he admitted to me that he and this person have engaged in sexual contact. I'm crushed! This is the love of my life! I would never have suspected cheating from him! He said he had to get his curiosity out of his system before he asked me to marry him this summer. get his curiosity out of his systemとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• どのような意味でしょうか

I have been with my fiancé for almost four years. He’s smart, funny, generous, and attentive. He also has some problems with drinking and a wicked temper. These problems have come to a head before, with a couple of drunken tantrums over the years. This past weekend, it was worse than it’s ever been, and he put me through a wall. I’m OK physically now. The next day, he poured out the rest of his liquor cabinet (I rarely drink) and called a counselor to help him manage his anger. poured out the rest of his liquor cabinetはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英Independent紙のコラムの一節

今回は英国 Independent紙のユーモアコラムからです。筆者は Dom Joly氏。 最初から2番目の段落までを引用します。 Dom Joly: I'm crazy about Palin, and she's everything I hate Sunday, 21 September 2008 It's getting quite embarrassing. I'll be flicking through the "dirty" channels, hoping for a glimpse of what I desire when... Stacey bursts in and I have to fast-flick back to 'Takeshi's Castle' on Challenge. It's too late though ? she knows what I'm up to. "Have you been watching Fox News?" she'll scream accusingly. I pretend to not know what she's talking about, but this lady is not for turning. "I don't know what you find so interesting about Sarah Palin but it's got to stop ? she's a monster." I try to bury myself deep into the comforting folds of my leather sofa. I know she's right but I am in the grip of a terrible obsession with the US VPILF. I can remember when I first saw her ? all white teeth and sexy glasses and hair scrunched up in a bun like some cliched teenager's mom fantasy. She was so... in charge... and so... sure of herself... she's not a blinker. She's everything I hate ? a right-wing born-again who feels that she might be "good" with foreign policy because she can "see Russia from my house". McCain is about as healthy as Jimmy Savile and, should he win, she'll probably be President by Valentine's Day and at war with Belgium by the spring. I know all of this and yet, I think I love her... there, I've said it, it's out there. 2番目の段落の最後の文章 I know all of this and yet, I think I love her... there, I've said it, it's out there. の意味を教えて下さい。 なお、全文はこちらで読めます。 http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/columnists/dom-joly/dom-joly-im-crazy-about-palin-and-shes-everything-i-hate-936861.html * なお、良回答の20ポイントはなんとか1人に絞りますが、10ポイントの候補は1人に絞るのが難しいのが常です。その場合、回答時間の早い方に決めさせていただきます。ご了承下さい。 (shiremonoさん、前回のIHTの質問の際、ポイントがつかなかったのはそういう理由です。すみません)