• ベストアンサー

翻訳願います

The safety's on the wrong side. どういう意味でしょうか? 補足(ネットサイトから) So why's the safety on the wrong side? ・・・ It seems odd to me that semi auto's, single shots, and doubles NEVER have the safety on the wrong side. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=308716 みたいに、なんか「慣用句」にちかい、言い方かなと思ったりするのですが、私の例文は映画のシナリオです。

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数5

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.4

お礼拝見。 おっしゃられることは理解できます。 私の文脈というのは、英語 ← → 日本語 という関係においては、ということです。つまり、たとえば英語を日本語に訳す場合のことです。 日本語でももちろんそうですが、ある言葉の包含する 「意味」 は一意とは限りません。まして、異なる言語の間において、A という言語における a という語は B という言語における b という語と、自動的に置き換えられるかというと、そうとは限らない。 よく引かれる例では、 a dog を単に 「犬」 と訳しても、本当は a dog という語に対して英米人の抱くイメージを必ずしも伝えてはいないということがあります。 A という言語においては、その言語ならではの意味の ふくらみ のようなものがあり、その ふくらみ が B という言語でのそれと重なり合うとは限りません。 それとは別な話になりますが、日本語で 「込み入ってます」 という文を示されて、意味を教えて下さいと言われても、少し困るかもしれません。やはり 文脈 が欲しいところです。つまり、「話がややこしいことになっている」 という場合の 「込み入っている」 なのか、「人が大勢いて混雑している」 という意味なのか、「大勢の人が入り込む」 という意味なのか、「精巧である」 (これは機械なんかの場合に使われることが多いですね) なのか、その文だけでは決定することができません。 あたかも1つの文だけで理解しているように感じるのは、その状況に自らが身を置いているからで、予め情報をインプットされた状態に置かれているので、意味を絞って理解している、ということが考えられます。 それと、英語を話す人が on the wrong side と耳にすれば、何かあることがまずい、あるいは良くないイメージというのを抱くだろうとは思います。そのままそういう 「イメージ」 として意識していて、状況に応じてそれに 「意味」 を付与することになります。 その 「意味」 は日本語ではありませんから、あくまでもイメージにとどまっています。 X という集合を考えると、その集合を A と B の領域に分ける。A は白く、B が黒いとします。「明るさ」 が求めるものであれば、A の領域が on the right side になります。その場合、B の領域は on the wrong side ということになります。 銃の安全弁の場合も、「自分が使うのに都合がよい」 というのが A の領域で、そうでないのが B の領域とされると思います。まさか集合の図を頭に描くことはないでしょうが、on the right side とか on the wrong side とか聞くと、その状況に合わせて2つの領域のどちらかを無意識のうちに選択していると考えられます。 そして、イメージのままでは日本語に写せませんから、そこで文脈が必要になるわけです。 ちょいと余計なことを長文で書いてしまいましたが、私は以上のように理解しています。

nobuchan1942
質問者

お礼

確かに言われることは原理的にはわかります。私は日本人で、英語の教育は10年以上受けてきました。しかし、とうていネイティブには及びもつきません。ですから、ネイティブにとって、ある言い回しは彼らにとって一意に”意味”が存在するのに、私のような辞書片手の日本人には”文脈がない”と意味が確定しないのではないか、そういう疑問と隔靴掻痒の気持ちに悩まされているところです。 on the wrong side という言葉は、私(たち)には辞書的に様々な意味がありますが、警察官がその言葉を唱和するときには、ある特定の意味を含んだ(もっともらしくもある教訓的な意味を含んだ)言い回しじゃないか、そう感じるわけです。 beautiful mindといえば、翻訳としてはたくさんあっても、欧米人にはほとんど一意的な意味しかないのではないか、いいかえればbautifulにたくさんの意味があってもmindという名詞がむしろ、その意味を限定してしまうのではないか、そいう感じもします。しかし、日本の英語教育はbeautifulのさまざまな意味を辞書的に教えるだけで、mindと合体したときの一意についてはほとんど教えていないのではないか、そういった焦燥感も禁じることが出来ません。 ご意見伺いながら、わたしなりの愚考を述べさせていただきました。ありがとうございました

その他の回答 (3)

• cincinnati
  • ベストアンサー率46% (606/1293)
回答No.3

まずご指摘のURLを見ましたら、これは銃に関するもので、イディオムではないと思いましたので、そのまま訳してみました。 The safety's on the wrong side. 安全装置が間違っている側にある。つまり「安全装置が操作上便利な場所にない。」 So why's the safety on the wrong side? ・・・ It seems odd to me that semi auto's, single shots, and doubles NEVER have the safety on the wrong side. それでなぜ安全装置が間違いと思われる場所にあるのか、.....半自動、シングルショット、そしてダブルなども本来あるべき側になくて、間違った側に付いている。 エンジニアセンスを働かせて想像しますと、銃のような危険な道具では子供が過て引き金を引いたり、撃鉄を持ち上げて、不用意に弾丸を発射させてしまう事がないように、意識的に操作させるためにあえて便利な場所ではなく、誤りとでも思える側に付けてあるのだと思います。

nobuchan1942
質問者

お礼

ネット先の解釈はその通りだと思います。したがって、この映画でのシナリオもそれに近いことを言っているのだろうと感じます。「安全装置が反対側でね」みたいな意味だろうかと、思っています。 ありがとうございました。

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

僕は銃の構造に疎いんですが  「安全装置が反対側にある」  http://eow.alc.co.jp/safety/UTF-8/  と言うことでしょう。一人は狙撃の名手の左利きでも右利きでも使える手の置き方についてコメントしていますね。始めてのライフルを手にした人の台詞でしょう。

nobuchan1942
質問者

お礼

「反対側にある」というのは慧眼だと感じました。そう訳すと、映画の流れに乗れるように思います。ありがとうございました。

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

そのセリフがどのような状況の下に発せられたものかによって意味も違ってくるかもしれないと思います。 on the right side なら、ある規定の範囲内に入っている、という意味で、たとえばそれが法律に関することならば 「合法である」 という意味になり、on the wrong side なら 「違法である」 という意味になります。 また、お示しの銃の場合だと (私は銃の構造に関する知識がないので正確には分りませんけれども) セーフティ (銃の暴発を防いだりするための安全弁みたいなもの) がある位置が、使用者が右利きとか左利きとかによっても具合が悪いので、「反対側」 もしくは 「裏側」 にあればいいのに、といったような意味かなぁと推測しました。 ほかにも、たとえば born on the wrong side of the blanket という表現は 「私生児として生まれた」 という意味になり、  → http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/ej3/9173/m0u/BOR/ the wrong side of the tracks といえば、「町の貧民街(スラム)」 の意味になるし、  → http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/the+wrong+side+of+the+tracks そういったマイナスのイメージを付与する場合にも用いられるわけで、他にもたとえば酒屋で酒を買おうとする場合、客が未成年者なら、その客は on the wrong side of age で、「未成年者である」 あるいは 「酒を飲んだり買ったり出来る年齢に達していない」 という意味になるでしょうし、状況によって意味が少し変るので、従って訳し方もそれに応じたものになるだろうと思います。 そもそも、お示しの文の safety がどのような意味で用いられているかによっても異なると思います。 「銃の安全弁」 の意味なのか、それとも 「安全」 という意味なのか。仮に後者だとすると、「安全が脅かされている」 みたいな意味であることもあり得るかもしれません。文脈 (状況) によると思います。

nobuchan1942
質問者

お礼

「文脈 (状況) によると思います。」とは、確かのその通りです。ですが、英語の勉強してきて、文脈ではないと一意の意味が確定しないと言うことに疑問を持っています。いま、私は日本文を書いていますが、この文章は日本人だったら、おそらく文脈で解釈することはないと思うのです。文脈でいろいろ意味が変わるってことがネイティブにもあるとすれば、それは、言語としておかしいのではないか。英米人には読んだとき、意味は一つではないか、そういう感じを持っていますが、どうでしょう。

nobuchan1942
質問者

補足

この台詞は映画なんですが、二人の警官がこの言葉を射撃練習の後、(冗談交じりに)唱和するんです。いかにも、なにか物を安全に扱うときの標語のように唱和しているので、そういう慣用句かなと思ったところです。

関連するQ&A

• 翻訳をお願いしたいです。

わが子にベビーシューズを作りたいのですが、外国のサイトらしく、手順がわかりません。申し訳ないですが、翻訳していただけますか? 翻訳サイトで試しましたが、意味不明になってしまい、困ってます。 Place one of fabric A and one of fabric B right sides together. Sew them together along the longer straight edge. Fold the heel pieces over the seam so that they are now wrong sides together. Now you sew a seam to make a casing for the elastic. My elastic was 3/8" wide so I sewed my seam about half an inch away from the edge. Your seam will depend on the width of your elastic. Try not to use an elastic that is very thin as this might cut into the baby's feet. Too wide and the elastic won't hold the shoe snugly above the heel. Attach a small safety pin the the edge of the elastic to help you push it through the tunnel. Push the safety pin through until the other end of the elastic is just poking out. Do not push the elastic the whole way through. At the pictured stage, the safety pin is hidden inside the fabric. Now we make a sandwich. It goes: Fabric A toe, right side up Heel piece , fabric A down, fabric B up, elastic towards the middle, elastic poking out the side Fabric B toe, right side down Start sewing a seam along the flat edge of the toe pieces, catching the heel piece (including the elastic) as you sew. Stop after you've sewn over the heel piece, a little less that halfway down the toe piece. Here's where it starts to get tricky. While everything is still in the sewing machine, pull the elastic and scrunch up the heel piece so that the free end of the elastic pokes out the other end of the heel piece. Pull the heel piece around so that it's edge is lining up against the edge of the toe pieces. I like to put a little pin at the end, hold the pieces together with my left hand and pull on the safety pin with my right hand. Finish the seam. This is how it should look when the seam is done Fold the two toe pieces over. Now it should look like this. Ooooh, it's starting to take shape. Now we make another sandwich. The shoe top is going to get squished in between the two sole pieces. It goes: Fabric A sole, right side up Shoe top, fabric A down, fabric B up Fabric B sole, right side down Pin often, attempting to keep the fabric distribution relatively even. I like to start with pins at the mid point of the toe and the mid point of the heel and then go from there. Also I find it works better with smaller pins. Here I'm using mini quilt appliqué pins. They work great. Sew around the shoe leaving an opening. I like to leave about an inch at the side of the shoe because that's where it's straightest and going to give you the least amount of trouble. Fold back one of the sole pieces away from the opening. Sew the remaining pieces along the seam line. Now, through that little opening, you turn the shoe right side out. We're almost there! Slip stitch that opening closed.

• 英文翻訳をお願いいたします。

The British Grand Fleet enjoyed a numerical advantage over the German High Sea Fleet of 37:27 in heavy units and 113:72 in light support craft. It also enjoyed the advantage of having broken German signal codes. There were two major phases of the battle. At 4:48 p.m. on May 31, 1916, the scouting forces of Vice Admirals David Beatty and Franz Hipper commenced a running artillery duel at fifteen thousand yards in the Skagerrak (Jutland), just off Denmark’s North Sea coast. Hipper’s ships took a severe pounding but survived due to their superior honeycomb hull construction. Beatty lost three battle cruisers due to lack of antiflash protection in the gun turrets, which allowed fires started by incoming shells to reach the powder magazines. Commenting that “[t]here seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today,” Beatty after this initial encounter turned north and lured the Germans onto the Grand Fleet.

• 和訳お願いします><

和訳お願いします>< There's nothing wrong with occasionally watching other people do what they love doing. But the average household now does this for seven hours a day! Are they living on the side of the glass that will advance their lives? お願いしますm(..)m

• 翻訳願います。

以下は、ある外国映画のシナリオなのですが、どなたか、的確な日本語に訳していただけないでしょうか?よろしくお願い致します。AとBの二人の会話です。 A: Are you interested in mathematics? B: It’s increasingly important for a philosopher. In linguistics, for example.   But even basics things.   Pascal’s arithmetical triangle is connected to his wager.   That’s what makes Pascal so amazingly modern.   Mathematician and Philosopher are one. A: Good old Pascal. B: You surprised? A: Funny you mention him. I’m just now rereading him. B: And? A: I’m very disappointed. B: Go on. I’m really interested. A: Oh, I don’t know. I feel I know him almost by heart, yet he tells me nothing.    It all seems so empty.    I’m a Catholic, or at least I try to be, but he doesn’t fit in with my notion of Catholicism.    It’s precisely because I’m a Christian that his austerity offends me.    If that’s what Christianity is about, then I’m an atheist.   Are you still a Marxist? B: Absolutely. For a Communist, Pascal’s wager is very relevant today.   Personally, I very much doubt that history has any meaning.   Yet I wager that it has, so I’m in a Pascalian situation.   Hypothesis A: Society and politics are meaningless.   Hypothesis B: History has meaning.    I’m not at all sure B is more likely to be true than A.   More likely the reverse.   Let’s even suppose B has a 10 percent chance of being true, and A has 80 percent.   Nevertheless…   I have no choice but to opt for B, because only the hypothesis that history has meaning…   allows me to go on living.   Suppose I bet on A, and B was true, despite the lesser odds.   I’d have thrown away my life.   So I must choose B to justify my life and actions.   There’s an 80 percent chance I’m wrong, but that doesn’t matter. A: Mathematical hope.   Potential gain divided by probability.   With your hypothesis B, though the probability is slight, the possible gain is infinite.   In your case, a meaning to life.   In Pascal’s, eternal salvation. B: It was Gorky, Lenin or may be Mayakovsky who said about the Russian revolution   that the situation forced them to choose the one chance in a thousand.   Because hope became infinitely greater if you took that chance than if you didn’t take it. 以上、よろしくお願いいたします。

• 訳をお願いします

Will the casual shots offered up by the palace of the Duchess walking Lupo, her black cocker spaniel, on the grounds of Kensington Palace be sharply cut back once she's walking with a stroller instead? In the search for privacy, Will and Kate might be swimming against the tide. Whereas the notion of a fairy tale and, later, a train wreck of a relationship drove public interest in Charles and Diana, the image of a modern young couple - at once accessible and world apart, and seemingly able to do no wrong - appears to be driving the story.That interest seems set only to grow after the addition of the littlest Windsor.

• 英文翻訳をお願いします。

The day after Eyschen's death, Grand Duchess Marie-Adélaïde invited Mathias Mongenast, who had been Minister for Finance since 1882, to form a minority government. Mongenast's special status as a 'caretaker' Prime Minister is underlined by his official title; he was not 'President of the Government', as all other Prime Ministers since 1857 had been, but held the lesser title of 'President of the Council'. Mongenast's administration was never intended to be long-lived, and Marie-Adélaïde's main objective when appointing the experienced Mongenast was to steady the ship. Nevertheless, nobody expected the government to fall as soon as it did. On 4 November 1915, Mongenast nominated a new candidate for head of Luxembourg's école normale. The nomination did not meet with Grand Ducal approval, and Marie-Adélaïde rejected him. Mongenast persisted; education had been a hobby horse of his, and he imagined that the Grand Duchess would accept the advice of a minister as experienced as he was. He was wrong; the Grand Duchess had always been single-minded, and resented a minority Prime Minister, particularly one so new to the job, making demands of her. The next day, Mongenast resigned, just twenty-five days after being given the job.

• Neuroaestheticsについての文です。

Neuroaestheticsについての文です。 The blurred imagery of Impressionist paintings seems to stimulate the brain's amygdala, for instance. Since the amygdala plays a crucial role in our feelings, that finding might explain why many people find these pieces so moving. Could the same approach also shed light on abstract twentieth century pieces, from Mondrian's geometarical blocks of colour, to Pollock's seemingly hapzard arrangements of splashed paint on canvas? 最後の文、the same approchとは何を指していますか? 先ほど、似た質問をさせて頂き、全訳をお願いしませんでしたが、やはり確認したいので、翻訳もお願いしたいです! よろしくお願いします!

• 翻訳をお願い致します!

Filter, Stone Temple Pilots and Linkin Park are such different bands it seems unlikely they would have anything in common and yet this combination of styles seems to mix perfectly. Why does it work so well? Bennington: A genre that we all fit under, Filter, STP and Linkin Park, would be the "alternative" umbrella, which is what makes the alternative moniker funny in a lot of ways. In LP, we've prided ourselves as being a band that has no genre bounds, because we do pop music, rock, hip-hop, metal, dub-step... We do whatever the f--- we want to. If I walk into the studio with a banjo and some jugs and write a song that's awesome, we're going to find a way to make that work with Linkin Park. STP is a good, solid rock and roll band. It's sexy; it's got groove, energy and attitude; there's melody; it's got all those things that make rock great, but it's modern, which is how it fits into the alternative side. Patrick: I would say Linkin Park is way more electronic and more broad; for Filter, I think of us as modern rock. That's a massive canvas to paint in. Although we use electronics and samplers, it's still always written around a guitar.

• 翻訳をお願いします(*'ω'*)

街の風景などが書いてあります。 翻訳していただけましたら助かります。宜しくお願いします。 The city where you meet will have been an industrial town built around its river. There is a ferry across to the other side, and the town or city is build on two opposite banks of the river. Linked by the ferry and further on by a bridge. There are many trees and it is a city or town of greenery as well as of work. There will be rivers of canals, a watery place, where the waters are deep, muddy and stagnant. But with a lot of fishes, and eels. Could be a river leading to a port, with boats and ships, that is sometimes shrouded in mists and fogs. Damp and quiet but wholesome and with nice scenery. A place where travelers come, from distance to see it. Because it is the sort of place that people like to travel to. It has some scenery and some history. Yet it is a place of illusion or disillusionment. Not quite like it seems. You’ll meet on a day when there has been a warm mild wind. There are also colleges or universities here, places of study. Maybe an agricultural or horticultural college. Rural studies as well s general subjects. There will be a ferry or river bus, A past industry and crafts. Place. Boat building too, and shops. Cafes or food shops selling healthy foods, vegetarian things, herbal medicines, and traditional rural crafts.

• 「コレラの時代の愛」の一節の翻訳例を教えてください

”To him she seemed so beautiful, so seductive, so different from ordinary people, that he could not understand why no one was disturbed as he by the clicking of her heels on the paving stones, why no one else's heart was wild with the breeze stirred by the sighs of her veils, why everyone did not go mad with the movements of her braid, the flight of her hands, the gold of her laughter. He had not missed a single one of her gestures, not one of the indications of her character, but he did not dare approach her for fear of destroying the spell.” (Gabriel García Márquezの Love in the Time of Choleraより引用) 拙訳: あまりにも美しすぎて、あまりにも 蠱惑的で、ふつうの人とまるで違った。だから 他の人がどうして、あの靴がコトコトと 石畳を打つ音に心が高鳴らぬのか、 あのベールにゆれるそよ風を 見つけながら、なぜ誰の心も のぼせぬのか、なぜ 三つ編みの動き一つ、 ふわりとした手の動き、笑い声が奏でる黄金に 皆の心は燃えぬのか、あの つむぎだす全てを あますことなく見つめてきた。 動けば壊れる魔法にかかったかのように。 「コロナの時」に「コレラの時」の話をふと思い出しましたが、、、 私は出だしのTo him she seemedからつまづきました。 いかにも翻訳調の「彼にとって、彼女は~にみえた。」なんて不自然な訳は脊椎反射のように出てくるものの、、急に普通のそもそも日本語でheとかsheとかherとか自然にどう言うのかそう言えば知りません。 本当に読解と翻訳は違うな~と、つくづく感じます。 簡単そうでどうしても翻訳ができずにいます。 どうか、皆様の翻訳例を教えてくださいませんか? よろしくお願い致します。 (翻訳作品の優劣をBAで選ぶなど私にはその資格がありませんので、選びません。)