• ベストアンサー

英語のニュースで・・・・・・

katelotの回答

• katelot
  • ベストアンサー率42% (3/7)
回答No.4

すいません!最初に回答した者です。 popularをfamousだと勝手に勘違いして回答してしまいました!すいません!! 他の方のおっしゃるとおりです。「地震が起きたけど、以前とは全くかわらず人気がある観光地」という解釈がだとうですね!! ご迷惑をおかけしました。申し訳ございません。回答を訂正させていただきます。

NetExpress
質問者

お礼

famousと考えるとそういう解釈もできるんですね。 ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 英語上級者の方お願いします(長文な上に質問も厄介です)

はじめまして。 Online NewsHourという米国ニュースサイトで英語のリスニング練習をしています。このサイトに掲載されてある記事でわからないところがあったので質問させて頂きます。 http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/middle_east/jan-june06/reconstruction_1-30.html ↑この記事(イラク再建における問題点についてStuart Bowenというイラク査察官がインタビューされています)の、Stuart Bowenの発言に But the reason for the reconstruction gap which is an observation of a reality, not an alarm bell, is the fact that we are confronting an insurgency that we didn't anticipate, at least the level of lethality. というのがあります。これの「which is an observation of a reality, not an alarm bell」という部分の意味がよくわかりません。「警鐘というものではなく、事実の視察結果なのですが」??? この発言全体を和訳したらどのようになるのか、どなたかご教授頂ければと思います。尚、発言者のスタンスを掴むために、できれば記事全体に目を通して、あるいは音声を聞いてからお答え頂ければと思います。よろしくお願いします。

• [not...in the least]と[not... at all]の違いは?

NHK英会話講座より I wasn't bothered in the least. 僕は全く気にならなかったけどな。 (質問) I wasn't bothered at all. と置き換え可能でしょうか?また意味の違いがあれば教えていただきたいのですが、よろしくお願いいたします。  以上

• また英語音痴な質問

1.Everything is all ready for the presentation. all ready をenoughにしてはいけないのでしょうか。 2.The recent earthquake affected train service for three days. effectedをかわりに用いるのはだめでしょうか。affectedのところに。 3.Tom was very shy; nevertheless, he volunteered to give a speech at graduation.で、neverthelessにbutを用いないのは「;」があるからでしょうか。 4.Nobody likes having to work late on Fridays. Everybody doesn't likeで書き始めてはいけないのでしょうか。部分否定と全否定の関係でだめなのでしょうか。 5.Mike has won more awards than anyone else in the school.でelseをとってはだめですか。 6.If my mom had been there, she would know what to do.had been をwereにするのか would know をwould have knownにするのでしょうか。どちらが適切でしょうか。 7.I got all of the questions on the first page correct but I was unable to answer any of the questions on the last page.のbut I was unable to が間違っているらしいのですが、どう直せばよいのでしょうか。 8.We had so warm weather last winter that it didn't snow at all.のso warmはどうなおせばよいのでしょうか。 You've asked whom, to the guraduation fomally. この文の構造が分かりません。意味も正確には?です。 She works part-time like a waitress in a coffee shop after school. likeはasでなければおかしいのですよね。

• 「日本海側なので津波の影響は受けませんでした」

この大災害で、海外からも安否の確認を多数いただいています。 私は日本海側に住んでいるので津波の被害はなかったので、そう返事したいのですが、どう返事すればうまく伝わるでしょうか? 以前、ここで質問して教えて頂いた回答を参考に、以下のように書いてみましたが、おかしい文章はありますか? I and my family are all ok at this earthquake, not affected by tunami. Although the ultra-big tsunami widely crashed down coast of Japan at Pacific side, fortunately, we are at Sea of Japan side. 特に、「太平洋側」、「日本海側」という表現はこれで良かったでしょうか?

• ジョブズのスピーチについて、文法の質問

スタンフォード大学の卒業式で行われたスティーブ・ジョブズの有名なスピーチがありますが、それついて文法の質問があります。 スクリプトはこちらです http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html 上のリンクにあるスクリプトの6段落目の最初に "It wasn't all romantic." とありますが、これは文法的にどういう構造になっているのでしょうか? allとromanticの品詞はなんでしょうか? allを代名詞としてみた場合、形容詞は後ろから修飾することになると思うので、all romanticで「ロマンティックな全てのもの」という意味になりますよね。そこにnotがついているので、「それはロマンティックな全てのものではない」となるのですが、それだといまいちよく意味が分かりません。「全てが~なわけではない」みたいに主語の方にallがあれば部分否定も意味がわかりやすいのですが。 また、ロイヤル英文法の226ページにall+抽象名詞で「~そのもので」という用法が載っていますが、 その用法であるという解釈だと、romanticを「ロマンティックなもの」という意味の名詞としてとらえ、allが副詞となり、「ロマンティックそのものではない」となります。この場合も否定がいまいちよくわかりません。 allが形容詞でromanticが名詞というパターンも考えられますが、「それは全てのロマンティックなものではない」否定がどうなるのかが良くわかりません。 あと、itはジョブスが置かれた状況や前の段落までに述べられている事情をさして「それ」という意味なのか、それともbe動詞のwasで存在を表しており形式的な主語としてのitなのかどちらなのでしょうか? そもそも、ここでジョブズが言いたいのは結局どういうことなのでしょうか? 前の段落で「うまくいくと確信した」とか「best decisionであった」とか良いことをいっぱい言っているので、"It wasn't all romantic."は「(そうは言っても)ロマンティックなことばかりではなかった」というようなことでしょうか?つまり"All was not romantic at the time."ということでしょうか?それとも「全くロマンティックではなかった」(It was anything but romantic)というような意味なんでしょうか? しかしallに否定が付いている以上部分否定なはずので後者はないようにも思いますが、どちらにしても主語ではなくて述語を部分否定するとどういうことになるのかがよく分かりません。 色々と混乱しており、混乱した感じをそのまま文章にしてみたのでまとまっていない質問分になってしまいましたが、アドバイスをいただければ助かります。 回答よろしくおねがいいたします。

• 訳と簡単な解説をお願いします

訳と簡単な解説をお願いします 1. 話し手がサメだと思われる物を見て言っている言葉です The fish was way bigger than the dolphins. wayの部分の意味が解りません 2. Jack was so scared that he wasn't tired at all. 3. plain as plain can be. おそらく牡蠣の事を説明している文だと思います よろしくお願いします

• 文法を幾つか

文法問題を200問解き解答及び辞書を見たのですが納得いかない箇所があり、このたび質問させていただきます。 1. Everything is all ready for the presentation.という文のall readyをenoughにすると間違いな理由。 2.The recent earthquake affected train service for three days. のaffectedをeffectedにしてはいけない理由。 3. Tom was very shy; nevertheless, he volunteered to give a speech at graduation. のneverthlessを butにしない理由。 4. Even though he trained for over a year, he was not able to finish the marathon. をEven ifで始めると間違いになる理由。 5. Nobody likes....がEverybody does not like...で駄目な理由。 6.George Washington the first president of the United States, had false teeth made out of whale bone.では、president ofの部分が誤りな理由。 7. While I was at summer camp I learned canoeing, sailing and to ride a horse.のto ride a horseが誤り理由。 8. I was unable to answer any of the questions.のwas unable to が誤りな理由。 9. Miss. Clarke said she would give us a hand with the Halloween decorations. のMiss Clarke saidが誤りな理由。 10.We had so warm weather last winter that it did not snow at all. でso warmが駄目な理由。 11. watch tying the record for most winsの意味。 12.We felt very badlyという言い方がヘンな理由。 13.You have askedwhom, to the graduation formal. ではformalの部分がおかしい理由と全体の意味。

• out toの意味

I used to drive two or three hours from San Jose to Santa Rosa to be with him at the [police] academy. He was staying in a hotel, and I would hide out in the room all day because he wasn't out to the other guys. ここでのout toの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 英語の訳

ニューヨークタイムスの新聞記事です。下記の訳を知りたいです。 長いですがどなたかよろしくお願いします。 http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/12/world/asia/12codes.html?_r=1 ↑下記の文章が載っているホームページ A bus stop was crushed by part of a wall that had fallen from a nearby building in the city of Sendai, where a tsunami roared over embankments. Hidden inside the skeletons of high-rise towers, extra steel bracing, giant rubber pads and embedded hydraulic shock absorbers make modern Japanese buildings among the sturdiest in the world during a major earthquake. And all along the Japanese coast, tsunami warning signs, towering seawalls and well-marked escape routes offer some protection from walls of water. An oil refinery burned in the city of Chiba after Friday’s earthquake. In Japan, where quakes are more common than in the United States, building codes have long been much more stringent. These precautions, along with earthquake and tsunami drills that are routine for every Japanese citizen, show why Japan is the best-prepared country in the world for the twin disasters of earthquake and tsunami — practices that undoubtedly saved lives, though the final death toll is unknown. In Japan, where earthquakes are far more common than they are in the United States, the building codes have long been much more stringent on specific matters like how much a building may sway during a quake. After the Kobe earthquake in 1995, which killed about 6,000 people and injured 26,000, Japan also put enormous resources into new research on protecting structures, as well as retrofitting the country’s older and more vulnerable structures. Japan has spent billions of dollars developing the most advanced technology against earthquakes and tsunamis. Japan has gone much further than the United States in outfitting new buildings with advanced devices called base isolation pads and energy dissipation units to dampen the ground’s shaking during an earthquake. The isolation devices are essentially giant rubber-and-steel pads that are installed at the very bottom of the excavation for a building, which then simply sits on top of the pads. The dissipation units are built into a building’s structural skeleton. They are hydraulic cylinders that elongate and contract as the building sways, sapping the motion of energy. Of course, nothing is entirely foolproof. Structural engineers monitoring the events from a distance cautioned that the death toll was likely to rise as more information became available. Dr. Jack Moehle, a structural engineer at the University of California, Berkeley, said that video of the disaster seemed to show that some older buildings had indeed collapsed. The country that gave the world the word tsunami, especially in the 1980s and 1990s, built concrete seawalls in many communities, some as high as 40 feet, which amounted to its first line of defense against the water. In some coastal towns, in the event of an earthquake, networks of sensors are set up to set off alarms in individual residences and automatically shut down floodgates to prevent waves from surging upriver. Critics of the seawalls say they are eyesores and bad for the environment. The seawalls, they say, can instill a false sense of security among coastal residents and discourage them from participating in regular evacuation drills. Moreover, by literally cutting residents’ visibility of the ocean, the seawalls reduce their ability to understand the sea by observing wave patterns, critics say. Waves from Friday’s tsunami spilled over some seawalls in the affected areas. “The tsunami roared over embankments in Sendai city, washing cars, houses and farm equipment inland before reversing directions and carrying them out to sea,” according to a statement by a Japanese engineer, Kit Miyamoto, circulated by the American Society of Civil Engineers. “Flames shot from some of the houses, probably because of burst gas pipes.”

• 英語ニュースで

英語のニュース聞いてると ノット クリア  というのが連発されてるように聞こえますけど ふつうどういう時に使いどういう意味なんでしょうか? つづりはやっぱり not clearでしょうか? ビギナーの質問でスミマセン。