• ベストアンサー

on the break

Brazil sprung a surprise before kick-off, replacing Juninho with the more defensively-minded Kleberson. England, however, stuck with the tried and tested: two lines of four suffocating the Brazilian attack with Michael Owen's pace omnipresent on the break. この文章なのですが、with Michael Owen's pace omnipresent on the break"とは、どういう意味でしょうか。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Mell-Lily
  • ベストアンサー率27% (258/936)
回答No.3

ブラジルは、ジョニーニョをより守備的なクレバーソンに替え、キックオフ前に人々を驚かせた。しかし、イングランドは、ブラジルの攻撃を封じ込める二本のフォーラインと、チャンスのときには、グランドのどこにでも走り込めるマイケル・オーウェンのスピードをもって、応戦した。 ワールドカップサッカーの決勝トーナメント、二回戦、ブラジル対イングランドは、事実上の決勝戦と言われた好カードでした。 ブラジルは、リバウド、ロナウド、ロナウジーニョなどの強力な攻撃陣を擁し、攻撃型サッカーでここまで勝ち進んできました。しかし、攻撃力は、確かに素晴らしいが、経験不足な若手を起用した守備陣に弱点があると言われていました。そこで、対イングランド戦は、先発メンバーに、守備的なプレーヤーを投入したのですが、それでも、これは周囲の驚きを呼びました。 一方のイングランドは、ベッカムを中心とする、攻守のバランスがとれた理想的なチームでした。対ブラジル戦の作戦は、ブラジルの強力な攻撃に対抗して、フォーライン、つまり、4人が横一直線に並ぶ形を二本用意して、守りを固めようというものでした。サッカーのフィールドプレーヤーの数は11人ですから、キーパーを除く10人のうちの8人が守備をするという、非常に守備的なサッカーをしようということです。とにかく、ブラジルの強力な攻撃を凌ぎ、ゴールを死守するという覚悟が現れていました。しかし、点を取らなければ、結局は勝てません。イングランドには、マイケル・オーウェンという、足が物凄く速いフォワードがいます。そこで、イングランドは、ブラジルからボールを奪ったら、このオーウェンにボールを出して、カウンター攻撃で点を取ろうと考えたのです。 omnipresent「どこにでもいる」とは、どこに出されたボールにでも追い付ける程のダッシュ力をもっているということです。

その他の回答 (2)

• Horus
  • ベストアンサー率14% (78/528)
回答No.2

おお、それでは、コーナーキックとかゴールキーパーのキックバックの時点を意味するはずです。それで通じませんか?  あまり、スポーツ記事を読まないので、悪しからず、(^^

kotocian
質問者

お礼

どうもありがとうございました。 サッカーそのものが分からないので、分からないのだと思います。 英語の問題ではないのですね。日本語でわからないことは英語でもわからないということで・・・(^^;;

• Horus
  • ベストアンサー率14% (78/528)
回答No.1

玉のつき始め、あるいは玉が急にそれたときなどに常に発揮されるマイケルオーウェンのスピーディーさによってブラジルの攻撃を封じる。と言った意味では、  ところで、何の試合?(^^;

kotocian
質問者

補足

サッカーのワールド杯のときの新聞記事です。

関連するQ&A

• この英語を訳していただきたいです。

You had some amazing guys with you on film....Tom.S,Michael Stan…it seems like you and Mark had a bit of a connections.

• 次の英文でふたつ質問です。。

In rural Brazil, millions of citizens do not have electricity, and the lack of necessary infrastructure has limited efforts to provide it. In 1992, an energy agency from the U.S. developed a joint project with two Brazilian states to install 800 household solar electrical systems and train local personnel to service them. 長文の二段落目なのですが、このeffortは努力という意味ではなくて、仕組みとか作動力とかという意味でいいのでしょうか。 また、service themのthemはcitizenでいいのですよね?段落をまたがって前の段落の何かを指すということはないですよね?

• 【英語】who should have shaken off a back injuryのshouldの意味

イングランド代表に関する記事で(http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/041009/2/6yfb.html) On Saturday, he is likely to start up front with Michael Owen, who should have shaken off a back injury, and in-form Jermain Defoe as coach Eriksson looks set to play with a three-man attack という文があります。私の解釈は「土曜日のゲームで彼(ルーニー)は前線でマイケルオーウェン(彼は背中の怪我を治した)と好調のジャメインデフォーと先発しそうだ。エリクソンは3トップの布陣で臨むようだ」です。このなかで、who should have shaken off a back injuryの部分のニュアンスがわかりません。ここではshouldはどういう意味で使われているのでしょうか。また、なぜ現在完了なのでしょうか? ご回答よろしくお願いいたします。

• 翻訳をお願い致します!

Filter frontman Richard Patrick was interviewed on the Cousin Joe show yesterday, likely before his comments on Facebook, and the hosts asked Patrick what he thought about Chester Bennington replacing Scott Weiland in Stone Temple Pilots, especially considering his history with the DeLeo brothers in Army of Anyone. Below is Patrick's response:

• pick up on social cues

I've been friends with a girl for 3 years—let's just call her Elliot. I had a huge crush on a guy—we'll call him Joe—and I felt like I had to confide in someone about it or I would explode, so I told Elliot. Little did I know that she also liked Joe. She decided to be a big jerk and tell Joe about my feelings for him–and not only that, but she also told our entire friend group. We eat lunch with these people and it's embarrassing to be around them now. I'm stuck because I have three classes with Elliot and various classes with other people in that group of friends. It takes a long time for me to warm up to people in terms of trust, and I'm also a very sensitive person. I feel like Elliot has betrayed me, but when I confronted her about it, she acted like she had done nothing wrong. She doesn't seem to pick up on social cues in a sense that she tries to ask people out on dates repeatedly when they don't have feelings for her in return. pick up on social cuesの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 英文を訳して下さい。

On 13 December Briand formed a new government, reducing the size of the Council of Ministers from 23 to 10 and replacing Roques with General Lyautey. That day his government survived a vote of confidence by 30 votes, and Joffre was appointed "general-in-chief of the French armies, technical adviser to the government, consultative member of the War Committee" (he was persuaded to accept by Briand, but soon found that he had been stripped of real power and asked to be relieved altogether on 26 December), with Nivelle replacing him as commander-in-chief of the Armies of the North and Northeast. A Senate Secret Session on 21 December attacked Briand's plans for a smaller war cabinet as “yet another level of bureaucracy”; on 23 December Briand pledged that he would continue to push for a “permanent Allied bureau” to secure constant cooperation between the Allied nations

• この英文を日本語にするとどうなりますか?

The ebbing summer of 2012 found Nitkowski working on a new sidearm delivery with a Minor League Mets team, still hopping to return to the Majors as a 40-year-old in 2013. Meanwhile the professional story of Colon, now an Oakland Athletic, entered a darker chapter on August 22, 2012, rendering his experiment with stem cells moot. The 39-year-old’s season ended that day when Major League Baseball officials suspended him for 50 games-because he tested positive for the performance-enhancing drug synthetic testosterone. On November 3 the Oakland A’s gave Colon a $3-million, one-year contract extension, which begins as soon as his suspension ends. よろしくお願いします。

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

I broke the glasses by sitting on them during my school holidays two years later.   My grandmother said, after she had sighed, "It's time you had your eyes tested--" "--eyes tested in any case," said my aunt when she had sighed.   I washed my hair the night before and put a wave in it. Next morning at eleven I walked down to Mr Simmonds's with one of my grandmother's long hat-pins in my blazer pocket. The shop front had been done up, with gold lettering on the glass door: Basil Simmonds, Optician, followed by a string of letters which, so far as I remember, were FBOA, AIC, and others. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は女の子です。 --------------------------------------------- ● I washed my hair the night before and put a wave in it.について ウェーブを髪にかけた、ということですか? wavesという複数形になっていないのはなぜなのでしょうか? ● Mr Simmonds'sのところが、Mr Simmonds'となっていないのはどうしてなのでしょうか?   教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

• 英文和訳で困っています

英文和訳で困っています。 英語の得意の方教えていただけないでしょうか 出来れば意訳ではなくきっちりとした訳の方が助かります。 よろしくお願いします。 Biofuels are fuels produced from renewable sources. For example, one popular biofuel is called bioethanol, which is produced from grain. Bioethanol can be used to power cars with specially adapted engines. Biofuels can be produced from a host of different agricultural products. Their development has been brought about by a combination of new advances in technology and government backing. Brazil has been a pioneer in this field. It makes the biofuel ethanol from sugar cane. Partly motivated by the oil crisis of the 1970s and by a desire to reduce its dependence on oil, Brazil invested heavily in biofuels and incentivized their use, particularly in motor cars. In 2005, more flexi-fuel vehicles (cars that can run on ethanol, gasoline or a mixture of the two) were sold in Brazil than purely gas driven ones.

• この文章を訳してください

Japan Rising (Kenneth B.Pyle)の一部です。 心優しい、または英語が得意という方、 誰か訳してくれませんか(>_<) よろしくお願いします。 A substantial reduction of the U.S. military presence in the region would contribute to the emergence of a multipolar order in East Asia. The United States might do well to become an "engaged balancer," playing a role in Asia somewhat similar to England's historical role in Europe. To maintain the regional balance, in other words, the United States would attempt to stay on better terms with the Asian powers than they were with each other, intervening only if the balance of power seemed in jeopardy. 以上の三文をお願いします(>_<)