• ベストアンサー

小説からの質問です。

I was so grateful that she had something to apologize for that it didn't really occur to me to think about how it had actually made me feel. When You Reach Me より that 節が2つありますが、構造がわかりません。最初の that は grateful that 節、2つめの that 節は so that 構文の that 節という考えで正しいですか。訳すのが難しく感じます。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

>最初の that は grateful that 節、2つめの that 節は so that 構文の that 節という考えで正しいですか。 はい。 grateful that she had something to apologize for このthatは以下の辞書の1のCの用法です。 https://ejje.weblio.jp/content/grateful it had actually made me feeのitlは、過去完了が使われている事からも分かる通り、謝罪よりも前に起きた出来事です。 >訳すのが難しく感じます。 どこが難しかったのですかね?  その個所や、ご自身の訳を書かれない事には、想像もできませので、補足してください。 ちなみに問題の箇所だけでなく最低でもこれくらい引用してほしいですね。 I was so grateful that she had something to apologize for that it didn't really occur to me to think about how it had actually made me feel. But I have thought about it since then. It didn't make me feel good. (When You Reach Me より) 試訳:彼女が謝ってくれた事があまりにも嬉しくて、あの事で自分がどんな気持ちにさせられたか心に浮かびもしなかった。考えて見れば、私は傷ついていたのだな。

okchietaro
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。引用が足りなかったんですね。すみませんでした。Google Book に英文がありましたので、リンクを貼っておくべきでした。全部読み終わったのですが、質問しました箇所は意味が取りづらかったので、飛ばして先に進みました。

その他の回答 (1)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9712/12079)
回答No.1

難しいけど、面白そうな問題ですね。 >I was so grateful that she had something to apologize for that it didn't really occur to me to think about how it had actually made me feel. ⇒以下のとおり、説明・語句・訳文などをお答えします。 (ご質問) >that 節が2つありますが、構造がわかりません。 >最初の that は grateful that 節、2つめの that 節は so that 構文の that 節という考えで正しいですか。 ⇒確かに、紛らわしくてむずかしいです! 最初の that は、「~するなんて、~するとは」という意味の副詞節を導く(従位)接続詞だと思います。判断の根拠となる節を導いて驚き・意外・残念などの気持ちを表します。(本文の場合は、「驚き」の気持ちを表しています。) 2つめの thatは、「~すること」という意味の名詞節を導く(従位)接続詞です。 以上のことを確認するために語句や訳文を考えてみます。 (語句) *I was so grateful that ~:「~するなんて私はとてもありがたかった/ありがたいと思った」。that以下は「~するなんて/~するとは」という意味の副詞節です。 *she had something to apologize for ~:「彼女が(私に)~を謝罪すべき何かを持っていた/謝罪すべきことがあった」。 *that it didn't really occur to me to think about ~:「~について実際は考えもしなかったこと」。上で見たとおり、that以下は「~すること」という意味の名詞節です。itは形式主語で、to think about ~「について考えること」が真主語です。occur to+不定詞は、「(考えが)浮かぶ、思いつく」という意味ですから、didn't occur to me to thinkを直訳すると、「私にとっては考えが浮かびもしなかった」という感じになります。 *how it had actually made me feel:「本当はどう感じさせられたか」。このitは、直前のthat節「私が考えもしなかったこと」を受けています。make+目的語+動詞原形で「~を~させる」という意味ですので、how it had made me feelは、「それ(私が考えもしなかったこと)が私にどう感じさせたか」というニュアンスです。 >訳すのが難しく感じます。 ⇒おっしゃるとおり、訳すのも難しいですね。なるばく分かりやすくするために、直訳と意訳の両方を考えてみましょう。 (直訳) 「私が本当はどう感じさせられたかについて、実際は考えもしなかったことで彼女が私に謝罪するための何かを持っていたとは、私はとてもありがたかった/うれしかった。」 (意訳) 「自分自身、本当はどう感じていたかについてまったく考えもしなかったが、そのことで彼女から私に詫びたいことがあるなんて、私はとてもうれしく思いました。」

okchietaro
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。参考にさせていただきます。

関連するQ&A

• 日本語訳にしてくださいませんか。

気軽に話せる友人からのメールからの返信です。 ちょっと戸惑っていますがちゃんと正確な意味を知りたいです。 No you didn't offend me at all. I just asked Dave out of the blue so he didn't know we had ever talked about it. I just wanted to find out for myself why he was always so abrupt with you. But he confirmed, though sometimes impatient, that he really likes you. です。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 和訳を教えてください

和訳を教えてください 1 Androclus saw that it was a long. sharp thorn which hurt the lion so much. 2 Until that question was asked it had never occurred to me that I had been so happy. よろしくお願いします

• 和訳をお願いします

長文で申し訳ありませんが、 よろしくお願いします I'm very flattered to know that you think like that for me?️! My friends & sisters are really very kind to me! I'm just returning those kindness to them by being a good friend & co-workers also ! And Im so happy that you feel their concern it for me.?️ Actually some of them started to practice for the showtime even I'm not present! They really looking forward for my fast recovery . Once again...thank you! よろしくお願いします

• 英語合ってますか?

英語合ってますか? I never got a notification that you ever texted back, I'm so sorry. Well the video is all done now ! I uploaded it to YouTube this morning, if you would like to see it i can show it to you!に 『よかったー(>_<) あなたからもうLINE来ないんだなって思って悲しかったの。 本当にー?♪ 見せて☆』と言いたいです。 I'm so glad! I was sad to think that I had no mail from you anymore. Really? Show me! ↑合ってますか?

• 英語の質問です。和訳お願いします。

some guy called me on Wednesday and said my friend had told him that I might be interested in some event.. But he didn't tell me what the event was about because he said he wants to talk to me about it in person.. So we decided to meet next weeks Wednesday. It sounded a bit suspicious so I invited a friend to go with me. But yesterday I found out he's my friends' boyfriend, so I'm not so worried anymore (^_^;) Yesterday was my parents' 25 year anniversary. Dad always sends mom roses if he's at work, but now he contacted me and said his internet at work is not working so he asked me to order 25 roses for mom and also send her a card with a romantic poem (in Spanish of course). And he only contacted me like 2 days before the anniversary day and I was really busy during those days Q__Q I managed to do everything though, but it was a bit strange to be looking for a love poem for my mom, lol. She's the one who could've gotten me a work placement in Tokyo but I refused it later. But now she said its good that I didnt take the job because they had some problems there and that its better for me to just find a company in Kansai area. And she said there was one company where she has connections to, so she will most likely help me with that. Yay (^O^)

• 和訳をお願いします

that is not what I'm saying but you continue to say to me. perhaps thats how you really feel. よろしくお願いします。

• 翻訳をお願いします!

英文を和訳しているのですが、英語が苦手なので苦戦しているので和訳お願いします! Ireally didn't know what to do for a few months. I felt that I had let the previous generation of entrepreneurs down - that I had dropped the baton as it was being passed to me. I met with David Packard and Bob Noyce and tried to apologize for screwin up so badly. I was a very public failure, and I even thought about running away from the valley. But something slowly began to dawn on me - I still loved what I did. The turn of events at Apple and not changed that one bit. I had bee rejected, but I was still in love. And so I decide to start over.

• よろしくお願いします

Dear Amy: I still have feelings for my old college crush! She laughed at my jokes, talked to me every day and overall was just really important to me. We haven't talked in two years, and I want to reach out to her. Would it be weird to do so? -- Worried Grad Dear Worried: No, it would not be weird to reach out to a college friend. Rather, it would only be weird if you made it so. if you made it soはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 下記英文について質問があります

What was it that made the collection of Gamelan instruments so appealing to you? The fact that I had never played any of them before.Knowing that I would not see a collection like that in too many places made it really easy to decide to work with them. I think because I was so unfamiliar with the instruments it allowed me to approach them in a very unbiased way. To treat them purely as sound objects without the weight of tradition or set of rules about how to play them. Probably much to the horror of Gamelan traditionalists out there … Q1 Knowing that I would not see a collection like that in too many places made it really easy to decide to work with them. この文章の構造がわかりません。Knowingは動名詞ですよね。だとしたら、このknowingを受ける動詞はどれになりますか?madeでしょうか? Knowing made it really easy to decide to work with them. これで、knowing that~は、that以下を「知る事」は、ガムランを弾いてみるという決断を容易にした。 しかし、that以下がどうもピンと来ません・・・。 無理矢理直訳すると、「多くの場所であのようなコレクションを見た事がなかったと知る事は、them(ガムラン)を弾いてみるという決断を容易にした。」となりますが・・・。何も知らないからこそ、知りたいという欲求が沸いてきたということを言いたいのでしょうか? Q2 I think because I was so unfamiliar with the instruments it allowed me to approach them in a very unbiased way. このセンテンスのallowedはどう訳出しますか? Q3 Probably much to the horror of Gamelan traditionalists out there … このセンテンスの意味がわかりません。 Muchは名詞ですか?  The horror of Gamelan traditionalistsというのはガムランの伝統主義者の憎悪。ですか? つまり、この人は完全にガムランをオリジナルな扱い方をしたので、こう言っているのかと。 この文章の構造がわかりません。Knowingは動名詞ですよね。 無理矢理直訳すると、「多くの場所であのようなコレクションを見た事がなかったと知る事は、them(ガムラン)を弾いてみようという決断に至るのが簡単にした。」となりますが・・・。 以上です。よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英訳お願いいたします。

英訳お願いいたします。 I've been thinking and it occurred to me that I didn't hear you speak a lot of Japanese. I'm really looking forward to hear you speak Japanese ... it must be so ... kawaii :) Please speak a lot of Japanese when you come to Osaka なんとなーくの意味は分かったのですが‥ (あなたの日本語を聞いたことないわ‥と言うニュアンスかな?と解釈しました) 宜しくお願いします。