Sherlock Holmes and Albert Einstein: The Link Between Genius and the Violin

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Discover the intriguing connection between Sherlock Holmes and Albert Einstein, two extraordinary thinkers who shared a passion for playing the violin.
  • Playing the violin served as a solution for both Holmes and Einstein when they faced challenging problem-solving tasks, allowing them to tap into a different realm of thought.
  • By engaging in music, Holmes and Einstein unlocked their subconscious minds and found innovative solutions to real-world problems, demonstrating the power of creativity and curiosity in driving genius.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

日本語お願いします。

What do Sherlock Holmes and Albert Einstein have in common? Both were extraordinary thinkers, one a fictional genius, the other a real genius curious, original, and brilliant. And both were amateur violinists. The link between these aspects is significant. When either man got really stuck in his problem solving, he would turn to the same solution: playing the violin. ally is not atrish A typical scene in the detective novel finds Dr. Watson, the loyal assistant, walking up the stairs-knowing, from the wild violin sounds he hears, that the great Sherlock Holmes's powers to solve problems are being severely tested by the case he is working on. Holmes apparently trusted the process of logical deduction, but he trusted another process, too -the act of music making. The two processes worked together somehow, each helping the other in a way that the author of the stories hints at but doesn't attempt to define. Einstein also found a way to aid his thinking through violin playing. He may not have been an especially skilled violinist, but that is clearly not important. "Whenever he felt that he had come to the end of the road or into a difficult situation in his work," his elder son has said, "he would engage in music, and that would usually resolve all his difficulties." Musical forms, beauty, and patterns took both these geniuses' minds beyond conventional thinking into an advanced type of thought. In both relaxed their result-focused minds somehow, allowing their cases subconscious minds to guide them-and playing music provided this link between conscious and subconscious. In short, they solved real-world problems by losing themselves in music, specifically in the violin. I would guess that Einstein was not a cautious player, either. He attributed his scientific creativity directly to this quality of childlike curiosity.

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9712/12079)
回答No.1

ご指名くださり、ありがとうございます。以下のとおりお答えします。 (むずかしいですが、面白い内容でした。) (訳文) >What do Sherlock Holmes and Albert Einstein have in common? Both were extraordinary thinkers, one a fictional genius, the other a real genius curious, original, and brilliant. And both were amateur violinists. The link between these aspects is significant. ⇒シャーロック・ホームズとアルバート・アインシュタインに共通することは何か? 両者とも、大変な思想家であり、一人は架空の天才、もう一人は本物の天才で、好奇心旺盛、独創的、そして、光り輝く偉大な人物であった。また両者ともアマチュアのバイオリニストであった。この局面間の関連に重要な意味がある。 >When either man got really stuck in his problem solving, he would turn to the same solution: playing the violin. *ally is not atrish A typical scene in the detective novel finds Dr. Watson, the loyal assistant, walking up the stairs-knowing, from the wild violin sounds he hears, that the great Sherlock Holmes's powers to solve problems are being severely tested by the case he is working on. ⇒二人のうちのどちらかが、真に問題解決に行き詰まってしまうような場合、彼は相手と同じ解決策に向かったことであろう:バイオリンを弾くことである。(*4語分訳不能)探偵小説の典型的な場面では、聞こえてくる荒々しいバイオリンの音から、問題を解決するために偉大なシャーロック・ホームズが取り組んでいる事件によって彼の力量が厳しくテストされていることを知って―忠実な助手ワトソン博士が2階に上がってくるのが見られる。 *この ally is not atrish の部分は、前後に誤植・欠落があるものと推測されます。 >Holmes apparently trusted the process of logical deduction, but he trusted another process, too -the act of music making. The two processes worked together somehow, each helping the other in a way that the author of the stories hints at but doesn't attempt to define. ⇒ホームズが論理的推論のプロセスを信頼していたのは明らかだが、彼は別のプロセスも信頼していた―それは音楽制作の行為である。この2つのプロセスは、なぜか協同したのである。すなわち、それぞれが物語の作者(張本人)を暗示するけれども、同定することはしない方法で互いが助け合うのである。 >Einstein also found a way to aid his thinking through violin playing. He may not have been an especially skilled violinist, but that is clearly not important. "Whenever he felt that he had come to the end of the road or into a difficult situation in his work," his elder son has said, "he would engage in music, and that would usually resolve all his difficulties." ⇒アインシュタインもまた、バイオリン演奏を通して彼の思考の手助けとする方法を見つけた。彼は、特に熟練したバイオリニストではなかったかもしれないが、しかし、そのことが重要でないことは明らかだった。「彼が仕事の限界や困難な状況に遭遇したと感じたときはいつも、彼は音楽に関わるのでした、そして通常、そのことがすべての困難を解決するのでした」と彼の長男が語っている。 >Musical forms, beauty, and patterns took both these geniuses' minds beyond conventional thinking into an advanced type of thought. In both relaxed their result-focused minds somehow, allowing their cases subconscious minds to guide them-and playing music provided this link between conscious and subconscious. ⇒音楽の持つ形態、美しさ、および類型が、これら両天才の心を、従来の思考を超えた高度なタイプの思考へと進めさせてくれたのだ。どちらの場合も、彼らの結果集中の心を何らかの方法でリラックスさせ、潜在意識の心が彼らを導くことを可能にし、そして音楽を演奏することが意識と潜在意識の間のこのつながりを提供したのである。 >In short, they solved real-world problems by losing themselves in music, specifically in the violin. I would guess that Einstein was not a cautious player, either. He attributed his scientific creativity directly to this quality of childlike curiosity. ⇒一言で言えば、彼らは音楽に、特にバイオリンに(没頭して)自分自身を失うことによって現実世界の問題を解決した。アインシュタインとて慎重なプレイヤーではなかっただろう、と私は思う。彼は、彼の科学的創造性を直接に子供のような(夾雑物のない)好奇心のこの質に帰したのである。

関連するQ&A

• 和訳例を教えて下さい。

A typical scene in the detective novel finds Dr. Watson, a loyal assistant, walking up the stairsーknowing, from the wild violin sounds he hears, that the great Sherlock Holmes's powers to solve problems are being severely tasted by the case he is working on. Holmes apparently trusted the processes worked together somehow, each helping the other in a way that the author of the stories hints at but doesn't attempt to define. Einstein also found a way to aid his thinking through violin playing. He may not have been an especially skilled violinist, but that is clearly not important. “Whenever he left that he had come to the end of the road or into a difficult situation in his work,” his elder son has said, “he would engage in music, and that would usually resolve all his difficulties.” Musical forms, beauty, and patterns took both these geniuses’ minds beyond conventional thinking into an advanced type of thought. In both cases their result-focused minds relaxed somehow, allowing their subconscious minds to guide themーand playing music provided this link between conscious and subconscious. In short, they solved real-world problems by losing themselves in music, specifically in the violin. I would guess that Einstein wasn't a cautious player, either. He attributed his scientific creativity directly to this quality of childlike curiosity. Einstein often said that his most famous theory was also inspired by music, its forms and relationships. It seems that certain physical actions stimulate the brain, create connections, and speed up thought. We have all had the experience of being literally unable to sit still when we are trying to resolve something in our minds. We pace up and down or shake a leg, almost as if such involuntary motions were needed to move our thoughts forward. Sometimes the mind-body relationship works a bit differently: while taking a long walk or rowing a boat across the lake, just letting our thoughts drift, we suddenly receive from the subconscious, without effort, the solution to a problem that had been troubling us for weeks. I personally know that playing the piano has this effect; maybe it has something to do with both sides of the brain being stimulated by the independent movements of both hands In any case, I have to keep a notebook handy while practicing, because I tend to get the answers to all kinds of questions ranging from the insignificant (where I left the car keys) to the significant (my life goal for the next decade). This mind-body unity is only one of the rewards to be found in making music, at any level, as an adult. Ironically, far too many adults who study music under the general category of “amateurs” are so modest in their expectations of mastering an instrument that these rewards turn out to be much less than what they might have been. The paradox is that adult music learners, while they often have the lowest expectations, are in a uniquely excellent position to succeed. Many take up an instrument with warmhearted desire, love of music, leisure time and extra money to support the lessons. Even more importantly, they approach music with more maturity and intelligence. But how much can adults learn if they are constantly comparing themselves negatively to others (children, no less) and feeling guilty about every unmusical wrong note? Add to this the mistaken notion of practice as boring discipline, acceptance of the traditional “no-mistakes” approach to learning, and uncertainly that they have any real talent for music, and they soon find themselves in a state of semi-paralysis of body and mind. Even the word amateur has conflicts of meaning. While it literally means “lover” in French, it can also carry the connotation of dabbler, a person who is somehow fated never to be very good. To describe someone's work as amateurish usually isn't a compliment. But amateur states can be joyousーembracing free choice, pure love of what one is doing, and endless possibilities for discovery.

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (5) Many of Cicero's speeches and essays have also survived. They tell us what he thought about friendship, education, law, patriotism, and loyalty―to name a few of his topics. In an essay on duty, he described what a gentleman should and should not do. According to Cicero, it was just fine for a gentleman to own a farm, but he mustn't do the actual digging, planting, or plowing himself. In fact, a true gentleman would never work with his hands.(6) Cicero was a snob. He looked down on workers―even shopkeepers. He said that“they couldn't make a profit unless they lied a lot. And nothing is more shameful than lying.” He disdained fishermen, butchers, cooks, poultry sellers, perfume makers, and dancers because their work appealed to the senses of taste, sight, and smell. What would he say about hairdressers, movie stars, and rock stars if he were alive today? (7) Cicero was born in 106 BCE in the small town of Arpinum, not far from Rome. He came from a wealthy family that was well known in the region. But because none of his ancestors had ever served in the Roman Senate, Cicero was considered a“new man”―an outsider, not a genuine aristocrat. (8) As a teenager, Cicero traveled and studied in Greece, North Africa and Asia. While in Athens, he began his training as an orator―a skilled public speaker―convinced that this would be important in his political career. He was right. He understood that an orator needs a good memory and a huge store of information. But he said that it wasn't enough just to spout off a string of facts. An orator should use an actor's skills to put across his ideas. The words of a speech,“must be reinforced by bodily movement, gesture, facial expression, and by changes in the voice itself.”

• 18-4日本語訳

お願いします。 He told his people that he wanted them to live in a way that would lead to an“increase of their inner worthiness.”Ashoka also promoted the teachings of the Buddha and sent missionaries,including his son and his daughter,to lands as dar away as Sri Lanka so that his people would not make the same mistakes he had.As he said,“All men are my children.As for my own children,I desire that they may be provided with all the welfare and happiness of this world and of the next,so do I desire for all men as well.”  As part of his reforms,Ashoka banned the sacrifice of animals.This confused and angered many of his people,especially the Brahmins who made their living by performing animal sacrifices.The Brahmins were powerful enemies,break away from the Mauryan Empire after Ashoka's death.The last Mauryan ruler was assassinated in 185 BCE by one of his generals-who was,not so coincidentalky,a Brahmin.Although other kings would follow,no ruler would be strong enough to unite the many different people of the subcontinent into a single political state for 1,600 years.

• 日本語に訳してください!

日本語に訳してください! 宜しくお願いします。意訳も歓迎です! His Ascendant falls in conjunction with your fourth house cusp. This is interesting. The fourth house is the home, also ones roots and origins, ones past, since you did not grow up in the same place with similar roots, we know this cusp conjunction is for the future. Not the past. And yet its being there suggests there may be some similarities in your early life, or early upbringing. The fourth house is the home, and this cusp shows that given the right circumstance you will very likely come to live together. The fourth house is quite important in love and intimate relationships The connection between the two chart shows that while living together you’d feel secure. Then creative elements of relationship would develop. Your talents. His talents, both would be brought out more by this aspect. This also means that the relationships strengths and all its new directions and plans, would be nurtured in your domestic or home and family life It also tends to be found in relationship that begin at a time in your life when you feel insecure and unhappy in your own home life, or feel that you are on the way down either materially or emotionally in the place you are living life. Feeling of needed a new direction, a new future, that when he comes along he can provide that, or can show you the way towards your destiny. That a life that is more in keeping with your inner soul and it is more you, can emerge from this union.. He too will have found this., that you can give him the basis and emotional support he needs to be himself. He will meet you at a time when he feels he is less secure, even though he knows where his direction lies. You will both feel that love lifts you up to a better level. This aspect also means that he has a promising career. His career and position in life, and where it can lead to as he rises will count, and may be one of the things that will attracted you to him

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (13) By 50 BCE, the Triumvirate had ended. Crassus had been killed in battle, and Pompey had become very jealous of Caesar's military success and his great popularity. Pompey had married Caesar's daughter, Julia, but when she died in childbirth, the bond between the two men was broken. Before Caesar returned from Gaul, Pompey sided wit the Senate to declare his former father-in-law an enemy of the State. The Senate demanded that Caesar give up his army and return to Rome. Knowing that he would be arrested if he obeyed, he refused. But now his life and career were at stake. Did he dare go back to Italy at all? (14) In January of 49 BCE, Caesar's forces were camped just north of the Rubicon, the river that marked the boundary between Gaul and Ital. As soon as Caesar heard the Senate's ruling, he slipped away from the camp with a few trusted men. It was night, and everyone else was feasting. No one noticed that he was missing. When he reached the banks of the Rubicon, he paused, thinking about his next step. After a moment, he declared, “The die is cast” and crossed the river. This was his way of saying that his mind was made up and wouldn't be changed. Now he was ready to meet his former ally, the great general Pompey, in battle. (15) Caesar was never one to stand around, waiting for someone else to do something. Decisive as always, he began his march right away. He set out in the dead of winter with a single legion of soldiers. He knew that by marching on Rome he would start a civil war. What he didn't know─and couldn't have known─was that this war would last for nearly two decades and destroy the Republic.

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (25) In spite of his poor health, Augustus lived to be 76 years old and reigned for 41 years as emperor. In the last years of his life, he realized that he must choose a successor. But whom? His beloved grandsons had both died young. With only one logical choice left, Augustus summoned his stepson Tiberius to Rome. He named this gloomy man as his co-ruler and successor. (26) In 14 CE, Augustus took a last journey by sea. He caught a chill in the night air and became quite ill. He called Tiberius to his bedside and spoke with him for a long time in private. Then, on August 19, knowing that the end was near, he called for a mirror and had his hair carefully combed. The biographer Suetonius tells the story: “he summoned a group of friends and asked ‘Have I played my part in the comedy of life believably enough?’” Then he added lines from a play: If I have pleased you, kindly show Appreciation with a warm goodbye. (27) Augustus Caesar had played many roles well: the dutiful heir of Julius Caesar; the victor over Antony; the reformer of Roman government; the generous sponsor of literature and art;and, in his final years, the kindly father figure of Rome─providing food, entertainment, and security to his people. Near the end of his life, he remembered: “When I was 60 years old, the senate, the equestrians, and the whole people of Rome gave me the title of Father of my Country and decreed that this should be inscribed in the porch of my house.” (28) When Augustus died, all Italy mourned, and the Senate proclaimed him a god. His rule marked a turning point in history. In his lifetime, the Roman Republic came to an end. but he rescued the Roman state by turning it into a system ruled by emperors─a form of government that survived for another 500 years. In an age in which many rules were called “saviors” and “gods,” Augustus Caesar truly deserved to be called the savior of the Roman people.

• 長文を日本語に訳してください!(1)

よくわからないので、よろしくお願いします。  When I was a very small boy I was made to learn by heart certain of the fables of La Fontaine, and the moral of each was carefully explained to me. Among those I learnt was The Ant and the Grasshopper, which is devised to bring home to the young the useful lesson that in an imperfect world industry is rewarded and giddiness punished. In this admirable fable (I apologize for telling something which everyone is politely, but inexactly, supposed to know) the ant spends a laborious summer gathering its winter store, which the grasshopper sits on a blade of grass singing to the sun. Winter comes and the ant is comfortably provided for, but the grasshopper has an empty larder : he goes to the ant and begs for a little food. Then the ant gives him her classic answer : 'What were you doing in the summer time?' 'Saving your presence, I sang, I sang all days, all night.' 'You sang. Why, then go and dance.' I could not help thinking of this fable when the other day I saw George Ramsay lunching by himself in a restaurant. I never saw anyone wear an expression of such deep gloom. He was staring into space. He looked as though the burden of the whole world sat on his shoulder. I was sorry for him : I suspected at once that his unfortunate brother had been causing trouble again. I went up to him and held out my hand. 'How are you?' I asked. 'I am not in hilarious spirits,' he answered. 'Is it Tom again?' He sighed. 'Yes, it is Tom again.' 'Why don't you chuck him?You've done everything in the world for him. You must know by now that he's quite useless.' I suppose every family has a black sheep. Tom had been a sore trial to his for twenty years. He had begun life decently enough: he went into business, married, had two children. The Ramsays were perfectly respectable people and there was every reason to suppose that Tom Ramsay would have a useful and honourable career. But one day, without warning, he announced that he didn't like work and that he wasn't suited for marriage. He wanted to enjoy himself. He would listen to no expostulations. He left his wife and his office. He had a little money and he spent two happy years in the various capitals of Europe. Rumours of his doings reached his relations from time to time and they were profoundly shocked. He certainly had a very good time. They shook their heads and asked what would happen when his money was spent. They soon found out: he borrowed. He was charming and unscrupulous. I have never met anyone to whom it was more difficult to refuse a loan. He made a steady income from his friends and he made friends easily. But he always said that the money you spent on necessities was boring; the money that was amusing to spend was the money you spent on luxuries. For this he depended on his brother George. He did not waste his charm on him. George was a serious man and insensible to such enticements. George was respectable. Once or twice he fell to Tom's promises of amendment and gave him considerable sums in order that he might make a fresh start. On these Tom bought a motor-car and some very nice jewellery. But when circumstances forced George to realize that his brother would never settle down and he washed his hands of him, Tom, without a qualm, began to blackmail him. It was not very nice for a respectable lawyer to find his brother shaking cocktails behind the bar of his favourite restaurant or to see him waiting on the boxseat of a taxi outside his club. Tom said that to serve in a bar or to drive a taxi was a perfectly decent occupation, but if George could oblige him with a couple of hundred pounds he didn't mind for the honour of the family giving it up. George paid.

• 英文を日本語訳して下さい。

On 24 September, Souchon was made vice admiral and commander-in-chief of the Ottoman Navy. Two days later Enver ordered the closing of the Dardanelles to foreign shipping without the consultation of his advisers. This had an immediate effect on the Russian economy, as nearly half of the country's exports traveled through the straits. On 9 October Enver told Ambassador Wangenheim that he had won the sympathy of Minister of Interior Mehmed Talaat and President of the Chamber of Deputies Halil Menteşe and that he planned on securing the support of Djemal. If that failed, he would provoke a cabinet crisis and create a pro-war government. After gaining Djemal's sympathies, the conspiring Ottomans informed the Germans that they would go to war as soon as they received the equivalent of two million lira in gold, money the Germans knew the Ottoman Empire would need to fund a war. The money was shipped through neutral Romania, and the last of it arrived on 21 October. Informants working for the Russian ambassador in Istanbul, Mikhail Nikolayevich von Giers, forwarded the information about the payments to Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Sazonov. Sazonov had suspected the Ottomans' and Germans' intentions, and warned the Russian naval commanders in Sebastopol to be prepared for an attack. On 21 October, Admiral Kazimir Ketlinski assured the foreign minister that the Black Sea Fleet was "completely ready" for action. On 22 October 1914, Enver covertly presented a series of plans to Wangenheim on how to bring the country into the war. The Germans approved of an attack on Russian naval forces. At the last minute Talaat and Menteşe changed their minds and resolved that the Ottomans should keep the gold and remain neutral, though Talaat soon reverted to his old position. Enver gave up on trying to unify the government to pass a declaration of war, and concluded that the Russians would to need to be provoked into declaring war to instigate desirable action. He told the Germans this on 23 October, and assured them that he would only need Minister Djemal's support to achieve his goals. The next day Enver told Admiral Souchon he should take the fleet into the Black Sea and attack Russian ships if a "suitable opportunity presented itself." Djemal then secretly ordered all Ottoman naval officers to strictly follow Souchon's directives. On 25 October, Ambassador Girs forwarded one of his informant's predictions to Sazonov: the attack would take place on 29 October.

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (17) Augustus Caesar, now the emperor of Rome, worked to reorganize the government and military. His greatest accomplishment was the creation of a system of government that lasted in Rome for five centuries: the Roman Empire. (18) Augustus created Rome's first police and fire brigade. He created a network of roads that connected the major cities of the empire, linking them all to Rome. He changed the way finance were handled and issued new gold and silver coins. He gave free food to the poor. He built the Forum of Augustus and decorated it with statues of his ancestors. He beautified the city and boasted of this accomplishment: “I found a city made of brick and left it a city of marble.” Augustus also sponsored artists and poets like Horace and Virgil, whose works glorified Rome─and, of course, himself. (19) Throughout his reign, Augustus never forgot that his great-uncle had been killed by jealous enemies who feared his power and popularity. Augustus pretended that his powers were all voluntarily given. He allowed freedom of speech and encouraged people to give him advice. But he was clever. He knew how to use power without seeming to seek or even treasure it. During his rule, magistrates were still elected to govern Rome. By sharing power with the magistrates, Augustus kept people from worrying that he was governing Rome alone. In fact, the soldiers were loyal to him and him alone─he paid their salaries and his treasury would pay their pensions. (20) The emperor's authority was so great that everyone left all the major decisions to him. But he was also very careful. Augustus kept a force of 4,500 soldiers to defend him. These soldiers, later called the Praetorian Guard, protected all of Italy. But some of them were always on hand to protect the emperor. To be on the safe side, the guards allowed only one senate at a time to approach the emperor, and they searched each man before he came close.

• 日本語訳を!c12-1

お願いします!  Which of ancient India's treasures would you most like to take home with you? One of those cool carnelian belts? A rope of milky pearls? A personalized seal carved with your name and favorite animals? An intricately inlaid chest of shisham wood? Or perhaps a brightly glazed and gracefully shaped ceramic pot?  Many of the people who love ancient India would choose none of those things.They would vote for the narratives Mahabharata and the Ramayana,religious poems that are as widely read and loved today as they were when they were first composed thousands of years ago.  The hero of the Mahabharata is a great warrior named Prince Arjuna.He falls in love with Princess Draupadi,and wins her hand in marriage by stringing a massive bow that is too heavy for anyone else to use.Then he uses the bow to shoot out the eye of a golden fish spinning on top of a tall pole,while lonking at the fish's reflection in a vat filled with boiling water.  Despite his beautiful wife and fabulous archery skills,Prince Arjuna has a problem.He and his four brothers,the Pandavas,are at war with his cousins,the Kauravas.Arjuna wants to win tge war and defeat his evil cousins.But at the same time,he wants to be a good man,and good men don't go around making war on their relatives.In the Bhagavad Gita,a poem that is part of the Mahabharata,Arjuna tells his charioteer that“conflicting sacred duties confound my reason.”  Lucky for Prince Arjuna,his charioteer turns out to be Lord Krishna,who is an avatar of Vishnu,the deity who preserves life.Krishna explains to Arjuna that even though he may not want to hurt his cousins,it's Arjuna's duty-his dharma-to protect what is right.Krishna asks Arjuna what he thinks would happen to the world if the deities didn't do their duty,and dxplains that performing his dharma is the only path to peace and salvation.Otherwise,he will just be reborn endlessly until he gets it right.