• ベストアンサー

wouldn't do anything ?

which parents wouldn't do anything to give their kids a better opportunity. 上文は、アメリカの不正入試問題についての意見です。 訳は、子供により良い機会を与えることをしない親なんていない、となります。 直訳であれば、「どの親も子供により良い機会を与えることは何もしないでしょう」と真逆の意味になります。なぜでしょうか?

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9705/12071)
回答No.2

以下のとおりお答えします。 >which parents wouldn't do anything to give their kids a better opportunity. >直訳であれば、「どの親も子供により良い機会を与えることは何もしないでしょう」と真逆の意味になります。なぜでしょうか? ⇒実は、正書法どおりに書けば、この文は、 Which parents wouldn't do anything to give their kids a better opportunity? となります。 つまり、反語を示すための「修辞疑問文」(Rhetorical question)です。 《~ということがあろうか(いや、そんなことはない)》といった内容を示します。 この文の直訳はこうなります。 《どの親が自分の子供により良い機会を与えることを(何も)しないだろうか?》 で、その真意は「そんな親はいない」、つまり、 《子供により良い機会を与えることをしない親はいない》 となるわけです。 修辞疑問文は、「強調構文」のひとつと考えれば分かりやすいと思います。

renrentipo
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 >修辞疑問文は、「強調構文」のひとつと考えれば分かりやすいと思います。 この回答を得て、今更ながら「修辞疑問文」のことを思い出しました。 再度、復讐してみます。 今回も大変わかりやすいご説明ありがとうっございました。

その他の回答 (1)

• cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.1

Parents which (/who) wouldn't do anything to give their kids a better opportunity. でしたら、 「子供により良い機会を与えることは何もしない親。」 となるでしょう。 しかし、"which" を "parents" の前に置くと、 Which parents wouldn't do anything to give their kids a better opportunity. 「どこの親が子供により良い機会を与えるべく何もしないだろうか。」 となり、これを意訳すると、 「子供により良い機会を与えることをしない親なんていない。」 になります。

renrentipo
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。大変わかりやすいご説明で非常に参考になりました。ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• スマートな日本語訳ができません。

スマートな日本語訳がうまく表現できないのです。助力下さい!宜しくお願いします。 作家の同僚の日本人が小学校の子供と今だに、一緒に寝ている事について…. I never realized before how early these parents start teaching their kids to be independent. 私は、それぞれの両親がどれくらい早く子供に独立することを教えるか決して実感できなかった。 Does the writer think most Americans are willing to make sacrifice that his colleague makes? 作家は、ほとんどのアメリカ人が彼の同僚が喜んで犠牲を払う気があると思いますか? Which do you think is better, raising kids to be strong and independent, or raising them to feel safe and secure? あなたは、強くて独立している子供に育てるのと、彼らに安心を感じて成長してもらうのと、どちらがより良いと思いますか?

• 大大大至急!!日本語訳お願いします!

parents today ,say some social critics ,have a special dilemma to deal with. on the one hand,there is the pressure of competition the need for mons and dads to give their kids a head stars in life , to make sure their sons and daughter keep ahead of their peers in the race to success. As a result,parents push kids to grow up too fast , boasting that their boy or girl is already reading at age two, for example, or taking college level math courses in middle school .on the other hand, modern society is fraught with dangers of all kinds (particularly what the BBS calls the sexualization and commercialization of childhood by TV , movies,games,and ads that target kids ) to which parents respond by helicopter their children,hovering over them, solving all their problems,overprotecting them.

• tough on とtough for の違い

文法のテキストからの文ですが、I guess cram school is tough on both kids and parents. (塾っていうのは、子供にとっても親にとってもつらいものだと思うな)の文で、tough for both kids and parentsとすると、ニュアンスは変わりますか。また、on の代わりにto を使うことは可能ですか。よろしくお願いいたします。

• 添削お願いします

子供にやりたいことを好きにやらせる親もいるが、勉強を強いる親もいる There are parents who make something to give a child do liking, and the parents who force it study are also.

• 日本語訳を教えてください(かなり長文です)(5)

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superiorという記事の日本語訳教えてください。お願いします。 (And it's true that Chinese mothers get in the trenches, putting in long grueling hours personally tutoring, training, interrogating and spying on their kids.) Anyway, the understanding is that Chinese children must spend their lives repaying their parents by obeying them and making them proud. By contrast, I don't think most Westerners have the same view of children being permanently indebted to their parents. My husband, Jed, actually has the opposite view. "Children don't choose their parents," he once said to me. "They don't even choose to be born. It's parents who foist life on their kids, so it's the parents' responsibility to provide for them. Kids don't owe their parents anything. Their duty will be to their own kids." This strikes me as a terrible deal for the Western parent. Third, Chinese parents believe that they know what is best for their children and therefore override all of their children's own desires and preferences. That's why Chinese daughters can't have boyfriends in high school and why Chinese kids can't go to sleepaway camp. It's also why no Chinese kid would ever dare say to their mother, "I got a part in the school play! I'm Villager Number Six. I'll have to stay after school for rehearsal every day from 3:00 to 7:00, and I'll also need a ride on weekends." God help any Chinese kid who tried that one. Don't get me wrong: It's not that Chinese parents don't care about their children. Just the opposite. They would give up anything for their children. It's just an entirely different parenting model. Here's a story in favor of coercion, Chinese-style. Lulu was about 7, still playing two instruments, and working on a piano piece called "The Little White Donkey" by the French composer Jacques Ibert.

• 英文と日本語訳があります。和訳は適切でしょうか?

This would allow women to stay at their jobs after giving birth. Another idea is to give a bonus to parents for each baby they have. Yet another idea is to give further tax breaks to parents for each child or to further subsidize education costs. 和訳 これにより、子供が生まれた後も女性が働き続けることが可能になります。もう一つのアイデアは、子供1人につき両親に特別手当を与えることです。さらに別のアイデアとして子供1人につき親にさらなる減税措置を許すか今よりももっと教育費を助成するというものもあります。

• 次の文法を教えてください。Im holding the parents responsible for pressuring their kids.

次の文法を教えてください。 Im holding the parents responsible for pressuring their kids. 子供にプレッシャーをかけた責任は親にあると思う。 hold→ ~と主張する、みなす、考える 1;holdは、辞書によると進行形なし、と書いてあるのですが、上の文章では進行形になっています。文法的にどう解釈すればいいのでしょうか? 2;responsibleは形容詞ですが、be動詞はどれなんでしょうか?Imのamはholdingにかかっているのではないでしょうか? 3;pressuringは、動名詞になっているのでしょうか? 上の文章は口語のようです。文法がよく分かりません。どなたか教えてくださる方がいてくれれば嬉しいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 「wouldn't」について教えてください

It wouldn't start up during the field test. 「フィールドテスト中に起動しなかったんだ」 この文のwouldn't の使われ方がうまくわかりません。 また"wouldn't"を"didn't"にかえて It didn't start up during the field test. にした場合との違いを教えてください。

• Wouldn't の使われ方がわかりません

ビーチ・ボーイズの名曲「Wouldn't It Be Nice」、 題名の和訳は「~そうだったら素敵だね」ですが、 (1)仮定法推量ならWould ではダメなんでしょうか? (2)ここでのWould notの使われ方、一般的な用法等 以上について教えていただきたいです。よろしくお願いします。

• 英文和訳

日本語訳してみたので、添削をお願いします。 More than 60 percent of children victimized by crimes to which SNS made them vulnerable did not reveive any warning from their parents against accessing such websites. 「SNSが原因で犯罪の被害にあう60%以上の子供たちは、そのようなウェブサイトにアクセスすることに対して親からの警告を何も受け入れなかった。」 「他にこういう訳例がある」等、何かアドバイスいただければと思います。 よろしくお願いします。