Grandparents' Pressure and Financial Constraints: How to Communicate Inability to Visit

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Learn the meanings of 'a drive up the street' and 'pick up and fly away' in relation to the grandparents' request for a visit.
  • Maternal grandparents moved far away after retirement and now want their grandchildren to visit them, but financial constraints make it difficult.
  • The author explains the financial challenges involved in visiting the grandparents and seeks advice on how to communicate the inability to visit.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

よろしくお願いします

About a year ago, my maternal grandparents sold their home and moved across the country to spend their retirement in a nicer town. Now, they are pressuring my husband and me to fly out and stay with them for a week. They tell me, "Everyone else has come," or "We feel like you don't really love us." The problem is time and money. My husband and I live on a very tight budget. While visiting them used to be a drive up the street, it would now require plane tickets, time off work, gas money to get to an airport and hiring someone to care for our dog while we're away. I told my grandparents this, and they offered to pay for our plane tickets. That is generous of them, but it's only a small part of the problem. My husband only gets paid when he works. If he takes off a week, we would not make enough to pay rent. I have told my grandparents this also, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. Their constant pressure is stressing me out, on top of an already stressful job. I can't make time and money appear where this is none. My grandparents have the right to move away if they want, but they didn't seem to think of the implications of being farther away from loved ones. They have no family where they live now, and don't know anyone, which to me is why they seem desperate for constant visitors. My mother has only been able to travel and see her parents once (with the help of a friend paying part of the way), and most likely won't be able to again. How can I tell them that the rest of us just don't have the means to pick up and fly away? a drive up the streetとpick up and fly awayの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4114/5348)
  • 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.2

> a drive up the street  冒頭にあるように、書き手の祖父母は1年間に引越しています。今は書き手の住んでいるところから遥かに遠い土地に。  だから、「かつては」 通りをドライブして行ける程度の距離しか離れていなかった、ということです。それが 「今では (now)」、it would now require plane ticket ... とあるように、ドライブして行ける距離ではないのだと述べています。 > pick up and fly away  前の方に The problem is time and money とあるし、hiring someone to care for our dog while we're away ともあるので、いろんな問題を片づけないことには動けないということのようですね。pick up は、それらの問題を 「片づける」 という意味で用いられているようにも思えます。あるいは catch という意味に取って 「適当な飛行機に乗ってここを離れてしまうというわけにはいかないのだということを、どうしたら分からせることができるでしょうか?」 と問うているようにも読めますし、さぁ、どうなんでしょうね。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (2)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9715/12083)
回答No.3

>a drive up the street ⇒「自動車で(地面を這って)行くこと」。 >pick up and fly away ⇒「(お金など必要なものを)かき集めて飛行機で飛んで行く」。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

noname#233541
noname#233541
回答No.1

a drive up the streetとpick up and fly awayを検索すればいい外

関連するQ&A

• よろしくお願いします

I am 42 years old, and I have always been an optimist, I like to be happy, and strive to focus on the positives. I have a very stressful full-time job. My husband of 24 years has always been of the most negative people I know. Perhaps his negativity was easier for me to deal with before, but one of my brothers recently died after a short, and horrible illness, and my mom is slowly slipping away due to dementia. My husband of 24 years has always been of the most negative people I know. の和訳を教えてください。ofはどのような役割でしょうか?あと、slipping awayの意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• shattered his leg

I saw my boss kissing a man who is not her husband in an alley on my way home from work and saw the two of them going into a hotel the next week. She has a young kid and is married to a great guy. We live a couple of blocks away from them, and her husband and kid often bring us cookies they’ve made or invite us over for barbecues. When one of my own kids shattered his leg and I was away, my boss’s husband drove him to the hospital and waited by his bed for six hours until I could get there. shattered his legはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• highest seniority

I have a problem I can't solve. My husband works in a small auto repair shop. He is one of two mechanics. Obviously, because there are only two of them, they have to alternate vacations. We have school-aged children, and the other worker's children are preschool-aged. Every year, the other guy gets the manager to put up the vacation calendar when my husband is not there and takes all the school breaks. My husband has the highest seniority in our state. Yet the manager lets the other guy take all the vacations first. My husband has the highest seniorityはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

My husband of 28 years has been having long, intimate text conversations with his father's hospice nurse for several months while they both are caring for my dying father-in-law. My husband does this for hours every day. I have told them that I would like one of them to stop working with my father-in-law. Neither has been willing. His whole family is standing behind this relationship and feels the two of them are wonderful for each other and a new start would be great because both are in "loveless" marriages. It is clear to me that they want to be together. They have expressed deep love for each other and have been intimate. I am brokenhearted and want out. My marriage has always been stressful and occasionally abusive. We were hanging in there, but by a string. This just seals the deal. Today, one sister is going to ask the nurse to step down. 1 want outは「関わりたくない」でしょうか?あと、by a stringは「かろうじて」でしょうか? 2 This just seals the deal.の意味を教えてください。 3 step downは「身を引く」でしょうか? 以上、よろしくお願いします

• 英検2級の文法問題です。

Many birds fly in a formation that looks like the letter V. Flying this way helps them save energy and fly farther. この英文のthatは文法的にどういう役割なのでしょうか? I am glad we don't have to wear ties to work during the summer anymore. Me too. But I wish they'd do away with them for the rest of the year as well. But以下が上手く訳できません。 theyは何をさしているのでしょうか?

• keep me on the hook

My in-laws last year asked if I could babysit their 11-year-old this April so they could go away for a weekend, which they never get to do. I agreed and told them I would just need a few weeks’ notice to organize my own child care around it. Well, it’s April, and they still haven’t picked a date. I haven’t been able to make any plans of my own for weeks, and as we get closer to summer, the heat affects my health condition and puts me at a higher risk for seizures. My in-laws definitely need the time on their own and don’t have other child care options (my niece-in-law is poorly behaved), so I would feel like a bit of a jerk withdrawing my offer. But I feel like they’re not being very reasonable. Is it fair for them to keep me on the hook, or should I tell them I’ll no longer be available? keep me on the hookはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

The artificial flowers on my grandparents' graves have gone missing three out of the past four times my mother and I have put them out. We put new flowers on the graves several times a year -- seasonal flowers in the spring, summer and fall, Christmas flowers, etc. It is disheartening to drive to the cemetery a few weeks later and discover that the flowers and vase have gone missing. Once, my mother had used an etched crystal vase. I never knew my grandfather, but my grandmother was special to me, and both her parents were very special to my mother, of course. We are the only family members who honor my grandparents with "fresh" artificial flowers anymore, but it is important to us. Could you please offer a plea to people to be respectful and leave flowers in the cemetery alone? They are nice-looking flowers; we do not allow them to become shabby and faded. If we check on the flowers and they no longer look nice, we remove them and then go buy replacements. 1 ここでのetched はどのような意味でしょうか? 2 We are the only family members who honor my grandparents with "fresh" artificial flowers anymore,のanymoreは通常否定文で使われると思うのですが、肯定だとどのような意味になるでしょうか? 3 go buyのgoは別になくても良いですよね?あるとどう違うでしょうか? 以上、よろしくお願いします

• grind on

I have recently become friends with two women from my college. I’m queer and they’re both lesbians, and I was excited to make more friends in the LGBT community. The problem is that they won’t stop hitting on me. I’m in a serious long-distance relationship with a man I love. At first I found their comments flattering, but they started going too far when they joked about “stealing” me away to my boyfriend’s face when he was visiting. One of them started grinding on me at a party and asked, “Are you wet yet?” ここでのgrind onとwet の意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I thought I was happy with my life and making good progress. I have a job I like, my husband just went from contracting to permanent at his company, we are starting to look for a condo, we are saving for retirement. Then all of a sudden some of my friends are making major life changes, and I suddenly feel like I am failing or pathetic by companion. One is moving from the Bay Area to Sacramento to a house she and her husband bought, one is moving to Portland, one is going to grad school in France, and one is going to Ireland. While my husband points out that some of them are just running away from their problems and that none of them are saving for the future the way we are, I feel like I am somehow failing. We are all in our 30s. Some of it is the idea of losing some friends who, while I didn’t see as often as I would like, will leave an absence for me, some of it is this feeling like I should be doing more. contractingは「契約社員」でしょうか?あと、leave an absenceはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• where to stick it

I’m (over)due with my second child, and I am not looking forward to the “help” that will come when she is born. When my son was born, my in-laws came for a week. They helped by holding my son, soothing my son, playing with him—all the things I wanted to do. To be fair, they also cooked and cleaned a bit, but I had no idea how to tell them to let us bond. My in-laws are coming again this time around, from what I understand. My husband insists they are helpful, but all I feel is that they are intrusive and disrespectful of my boundaries. My own family is popping in too, for just a few days, but I have no qualms about telling them where to stick it if they overstep! telling them where to stick it if they overstepの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします