Partner's Lack of Respect for Boundaries: How Can I Stand Up for Myself?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • My partner and I are going through a rough patch. She is moving out for a month to have some space, and I'm both sad and relieved. I love her, but I feel she doesn't respect my boundaries, especially when it comes to her friend frequently being over without a heads up.
  • Last night, I tried to say 'no' to my partner about her friend coming over, but she told me she didn't have a choice. I ended up feeling unimportant and had a panic attack. I want a say in who is in our space, but my partner doesn't seem to understand why it's important to me.
  • I'm conflicted because I want to stand up for myself, but I also feel like I may be overreacting due to stress. Is there a way I can assert myself without causing more tension in our relationship?
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

よろしくお願いします

So my partner and I have been in a rough patch for a while now. She is moving out for a month to get some space and figure out what she wants. I’m sad because I love her and when things are good, it’s the best feeling to come home to her. But I’m relieved because things are tense right now. I feel she doesn’t respect my boundaries. Her friend is over a lot. I’ve asked for a heads up, and at some points have said I’m not comfortable with her being sprung on me and sticking around late into the night when I have work the next day. But it keeps happening. Last night, I was exhausted and had been asking for some quality time with partner. But her friend came over instead. I ended up going for a walk in the cold and crying on a bench for an hour because I tried to say “no” to my partner, and she told me that she didn’t have a choice. I had a panic attack (I feel so silly, I shouldn’t be so sensitive), but I just felt so unimportant. Partner is so nice to them and wants to tell them every little detail, and in turn listens. Partner told me I was just being critical last night when I tried to explain why this is important to me, and that if I just told her about my day instead of being upset, there wouldn’t be an issue. But I want a say on who is in my/our space! I am mad! But I also feel like I am overreacting because we’ve both been pretty stressed. Is there a way I can/should stand up for myself around this? 1 I’ve asked for a heads upは「注意喚起を要求した」でしょうか?文脈に合わない感じがするのですが・・・ 2 sprung on meはどのような意味でしょうか? 3 stand up for myself around thisはなぜaboutやforではなくaroundなのでしょうか? 以上、よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4114/5348)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1。 I’ve asked for a heads upは「注意喚起を要求した」でしょうか?文脈に合わない感じがするのですが・・・  (彼女に彼女の友達を私への事前通告なしなで連れ込まないようにと)私は彼女に注意を促した、でしょう。 2 sprung on meはどのような意味でしょうか?  予告なしに急に、とつぜん、藪から棒に、私に何かする、と言うことでしょう。 3 stand up for myself around thisはなぜaboutやforではなくaroundなのでしょうか?  about とか for ( for の場合は重複にも)だとこの件だけに限られますが、about を使うと、この件だけでなくこの種の件に関して、と範囲を広げた表現になるからでしょう。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• grow absent

I had my daughter about six months ago. In my circle of friends I’m the only to have a baby, so needless to say she gets a lot of attention. One friend in particular seems to be a little obsessed with her, and it kind of freaks me and my husband out. She’s constantly buying things for her, referring to herself as her godmother (she’s not, my sister is, and she knows it). She asks for pictures of her throughout the day to help get her through work, and mentions that while she’s looking for a new job she would never relocate because she wants to be near my daughter. And recently when she comes over, she asks if she can wear her in my baby carrier so people will think she’s her child! I appreciate that she is so supportive of us, and I know most people find their childless friends grow absent once they have a baby, but this is just a little over the top. grow absentはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 下記の英文の訳をお願いします。

はっきりと意味がわからないので… 英語が得意な方がいましたら、この文章の訳を教えて欲しいです。 回答を頂けるととても助かります。 どうぞよろしくお願いします。 There is one positive in my life, and that is this wonderful woman I have met. She must be sent from a higher power because I don't see any reason why anyone would even be interested in me. Unbelievably, she likes me for the good I do and loves me for the rest. She doesn't judge, she always looks at the positive and for whatever reasons that I hope to understand one day, she chose me. We've been seeing each other for about 3 years now but her home is half way around the world and she just left today. I feel so alone right now.

• song and dance

I recently had my first baby. It is a magical time for me and my husband. My parents, who live relatively close by, were elated by my son’s arrival and are very doting grandparents. My mother and I have had a very rocky history, and I was hopeful that my son could have a relationship with his grandmother, separate from my own issues with her. As she is with everything in my life, my mother is extremely overbearing. She never gives me a compliment and constantly questions and criticizes every decision I make. She is very concerned about appearances, and tries to constantly push her wishes for how to dress and feed my child, etc., on me. I accept and welcome suggestions—but my mother will force her will. She nags, belittles, and insults my decisions until I replace them with her own. She constantly interferes in our decisions. Ignoring her is impossible, as she will nag until you agree to adopt her decision. My father tells me that she is my mother, and although she is very difficult, she will not change, so I must. This has been the song and dance of my whole life. I am tired of having to be the one to roll over just because she won’t change or accept my decisions. ここでのthe song and danceとroll overはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 日本語訳で困っています。

以下の英文の日本語訳ができません。だれかお願いします。 (1)You don't really notice how special it is until death looks you in the eyes. (2)My sister and her friend jumped into our backyard pool to cool off. (3)My mom would always watch all of us very closely, but just for a minute, she had walked over to the other side of the yard to talk to my dad. (4)She told my sister to watch out for me, but my sister was busy laughing and having fun with her friend. (5)No one heard me because I was so little; there was hardly a splash.

• 至急です(>_<)翻訳してくださいm(_)m

goodbye? Like someone is leaving. I will admit I want to see because I'm really upset today. I talked to my ex and she just made me so mad. I hate her so much.←翻訳してくださいm(__)m

• should it come up

I am a mentee in a "future women leaders" program at my organization. I am paired with a director of a different department. She and I get along very well, but she is not on speaking terms with the director of my department, and has gone so far as to file a complaint against my immediate supervisor, a woman I respect greatly. So far, my mentor has not reached out to me to organize our first mentoring session. Perhaps it is because she is very busy, but I suspect it is also because she is basically at war with my department, going so far as to instruct some of her subordinates not to speak to my colleagues (although they still speak to me). I sent an initial, "Thank you, and I'm looking forward to working with you" email to her upon the human resources department informing us that we were paired together. I have not reached out to her again and haven't heard from her. I am not sure how I would handle any discussions about my department, in particular my supervisors, should it come up. should it come upの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 意味を教えてください

Yesterday my boyfriend’s mother offered to pay for some classes in cake decorating for me so that I can further my experience in baking to get a better job. I’m unemployed looking for a bakery job right now, which is why she offered to pay, and she wants me to pay her back by doing housework for her over the weekends. As much as I would love to take this opportunity, our relationship has been strained because of the circumstances of how her son and I came to be. strainedとhow her son and I came to beの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• hold a good thought

DEAR ABBY: You always tell us to consider whether we would be better off with or without somebody. What if it's your sister? My sister and I are of retirement age and had a falling out. I felt she had become too needy, and she was very hurt when I told her so. She is awaiting my apology, which has been the pattern of our lives. Although we live 30 miles apart, I have no desire to contact her. Because I was usually the one she went to for advice and companionship, I feel guilty for abandoning her and often wonder if she's OK. We are both healthy and self-sufficient. I love her because she's my sister, but I can truly say my life is easier and less complicated without her. The thought of contacting her is too much to bear. On the other hand, she's my sister. -- BETTER OFF IN COLORADO DEAR BETTER OFF: You say your life is better off and less complicated without your needy sibling, and that you have no desire to contact her. OK. So what exactly is your question? Are you waiting for me to order you to call her and apologize? The price for that will be shouldering again the burden of her neediness. If you're worried about how she's doing, ask someone who is in touch with her. But hold a good thought. hold a good thoughtはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• she gives me a good deal

For the past four years, I've been having a friend do my hair. "Marcy" and I knew each other in grade school and lost touch, but I saw on Facebook that she was doing hair and decided to start seeing her. She is a very sweet woman and is passionate about her work, and I am grateful that she gives me a good deal. she gives me a good dealというのは「値引きしてくれる」ということでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英語の質問です。和訳お願いします。

some guy called me on Wednesday and said my friend had told him that I might be interested in some event.. But he didn't tell me what the event was about because he said he wants to talk to me about it in person.. So we decided to meet next weeks Wednesday. It sounded a bit suspicious so I invited a friend to go with me. But yesterday I found out he's my friends' boyfriend, so I'm not so worried anymore (^_^;) Yesterday was my parents' 25 year anniversary. Dad always sends mom roses if he's at work, but now he contacted me and said his internet at work is not working so he asked me to order 25 roses for mom and also send her a card with a romantic poem (in Spanish of course). And he only contacted me like 2 days before the anniversary day and I was really busy during those days Q__Q I managed to do everything though, but it was a bit strange to be looking for a love poem for my mom, lol. She's the one who could've gotten me a work placement in Tokyo but I refused it later. But now she said its good that I didnt take the job because they had some problems there and that its better for me to just find a company in Kansai area. And she said there was one company where she has connections to, so she will most likely help me with that. Yay (^O^)