arguing withの withはなぜ必要なのでしょうか?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 子供が海に入らないことについて、兄と義理の姉が論争しています
  • 兄と義理の姉は、子供を海に引きずり込んだり、早めに旅行を終了させたりすることで一週間を過ごしています
  • arguing withは、兄と義理の姉が子供について意見を交わし合っていることを表しています
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

文法的に正しいでしょうか

Every year my family goes to the beach for a week, and every year my nephews refuses to go into the ocean. He is content with playing in the sand and swimming in the pool. My brother and SIL spend the week arguing with, dragging the boy to the water, and threatening to end the trip early. arguing withの withはなぜ必要なのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4111/5344)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • koncha108
  • ベストアンサー率49% (1312/2665)
回答No.2

withが必要かと言うと無くても良いですが意味が変わります。spend the week arguing with のarguing (ついでに次のdragging, threatening)は動名詞で、spending the week in ~ing (~して過ごす)のinが省略されていると考えられます。arguingだけでも、「議論して週を過ごす」で成り立つのですが、誰かと言い争うことを言いたければwithを付ける必要があります。 ここではそれが誰かと言うと、the boyでしょう。My brother and SILであればwithではなくeach other。この次に dragging the boy とあることからして、「子供と言い争い、海に引っ張ていき、もう旅行やめて帰ると脅したりして週を過ごす」と考えられます。その前に、子供が海に入るのを拒絶し砂遊びをしてプールで泳ぐので満足していると言う伏線もあります。 なので、子供と言い争っているのを表すためにつけているのだと思います。 ただ、この文、 arguing with, dragging the boy と、the boyを共通項で束ねるところまでは良いのですが、その後のthreatening にthe boy (him)が無く、ちょっと違和感はあります。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9705/12071)
回答No.1

>arguing withのwithはなぜ必要なのでしょうか? ⇒argue with+人で「~と議論する」ですから、withで「兄弟や義理の姉妹らと(わいわいがやがや議論しながらビーチの一週間を過ごす)」ことを示しているわけですよね。つまり、withがなければ、(文法的な間違いではありませんが)その話相手の存在が暗示されないことになります。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• run away

My 18-year-old granddaughter ran away twice last year. She's now living with her boyfriend and refuses to have any contact with her dad. ran awayは「家出した」でしょうか「駆け落ちした」でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 文法的に良くわかりません

My boyfriend and I have been together for three years. We decided to make some major sacrifices in order to pay off debt and save up for a house. This includes driving junky cars and moving in with his parents. He and I were both working out with a personal trainer, him twice a week and me once a week. I quit the training because I found a cheaper option. My boyfriend decided to start seeing the trainer three times per week. I think this is irresponsible, considering we are in saving mode right now. This is why my boyfriend decided to cover it up and lie about it -- badly. I caught on pretty quickly, but rather than be accusatory, I simply told him that if he wants to see the trainer three times per week to not feel as though he has to hide it. rather than be accusatory, はあまりみない形なのですが、文法的にはどうなっているのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 文法

(  )内の適語を選びなさい。 (1) We exchanged Christmas presents with one (other/another). (2) This bag is too small. Please show me a bigger (it/one). (3) We haven’t gone to (neither/either) of the restaurants recently. (4) (Each/Every) of the rooms has a kitchen and a bathroom. (5) My sister goes to the theme park in Chiba (each/every) two months. よろしくお願いします。

• 文法的解説をよろしくお願いします

I need advice on how to deal with a 71-year-old friend with rectal cancer. She has been receiving chemotherapy treatments for nearly eight months and hopes to have surgery in January. If the doctors decide not to operate, she will have less than a year to live. She lives 30 miles away, so we check in a few times a week over the phone. Sadly, with the treatments comes the “chemo brain” issue. with the treatments comes the “chemo brain” issue.はあまり見かけない形なのですが、文法的解説をよろしくお願いします

• fill in

Every year my husband and I host a holiday get-together for several of our friends and neighbors. We provide the main dish, a couple of sides and drinks. We ask friends to fill in with other salads, sides and desserts. fill in with other saladsはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 文法的解説をよろしくお願いします

My ex-wife and I are fighting because she went back to school shopping with our 12 year-old daughter and bought her booty shorts. went back to school shoppingの文法的解説をよろしくお願いします

• How の 有無

How would you like to come and spend a week with us next year? Would you like to come and spend a week with us next year? 上の二つの英文、どう違うんですか? Howがあるかないかの違いですが・・・

• 訳をよろしくお願いします

My incredible husband of two years has a 4-year-old daughter with his ex-wife. I have actively helped raise "Christie" since she was barely a year. We haven't communicated with the mother since the time we took her to court for refusing visitation, but my husband and I have always provided for Christie in every way possible, above and beyond the court-ordered child support. We haven't communicated with the mother since the time we took her to court for refusing visitation, but my husband and I have always provided for Christie in every way possible, above and beyond the court-ordered child support.の訳をよろしくお願いします

• 中学校の英文法なんですが・・・

中学校の英文法なんですが・・・ I stay with my friend in Chicago.に(for a few days every summer)を加えて現在完了形の文にしなさい ということなんですが、意味が「私は毎夏2、3日間シカゴの友人と滞在する」だとしたら「習慣」になって現在形を使うのでは・・・と思ってしまうのですがどうなんでしょうか?? またI have stayed with my friend in Chicago for a few days every summerがどういう訳になるのかいま一つ解りません。 解る方いましたらお願いします!!

• 文法的にわかりません

Dear Prudence, I was pretty badly bullied in high school for my appearance and being two years younger than everyone else. In college I started lifting weights, “blossomed” into my looks and life got much better. But the emotional scars remained. Earlier this year I started a new job and discovered the administrative assistant for my group was one of my bullies from high school. I know she recognized me because she made a joke about how much I’d changed and said we had to “catch up sometime.” I was cold but polite for the sake of our professional relationship, but she must have mistaken it for forgiveness, because last week at a work happy hour, she apologized again that “everyone” was so rough on me in high school—then she hit on me. I was so infuriated that I ended up being very cruel and mocked her until she left in tears. It turns out revenge doesn’t feel so good after all, and I’ve been avoiding her entirely. I’m afraid my boss is going to start asking why I’m wasting time on things the admin should be doing. Still I don’t feel like apologizing to her, because what kind of jerk hits on someone they used to treat like dirt? Should I tell my boss what happened? I know he values me highly, so he might be willing to let me work with his administrative assistant, but I’m afraid that might come off as childish. —Did I Bully My Bully? I don’t want to rub your face in what might have been, but you could absolutely have brought this issue up with your boss before the incident occurred. Had you told him it would be difficult for you to work with your former high school bully, he might have been able to set you up with his own administrative assistant before things got to the breaking point. Had you told him it would be difficult for you to work with your former high school bully, he might have been able to set you up with his own administrative assistant before things got to the breaking point.のカンマのあとはtold himを受けてthatが省略されているのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします