• ベストアンサー
※ ChatGPTを利用し、要約された質問です(原文:よろしくお願いします)

My Love Life Disaster: A Long-Distance Relationship Dilemma

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Ten years ago, I faced a difficult decision in my long-distance relationship. On Thanksgiving night, unsure about my job security, I hesitated to propose to my girlfriend. Just moments before leaving, she asked about marriage, and I fumbled with my response, mentioning the need for job stability first.
  • The mysterious 'ride home' referred to in the story remains undefined, leaving the reader to speculate on the mode of transportation. Was it a car, a friend's vehicle, or something else? The answer is left open-ended.
  • The phrase 'I had tenure' in this context refers to wanting job stability and security before committing to marriage. It indicates the desire to have a long-term and secure employment situation before taking such a significant step in personal life.

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • koncha108
  • ベストアンサー率49% (1312/2665)
回答No.2

1. 同じと考えて良いです。 2. rideは車、特に他人が所有している場合に使われるのと、動詞がshowed up と「現れる」で、homeは「家へ」で名詞 rideを就職しているので、例外として認められるのか誤用なのかわかりませんが、Two minutes before my ride home showed up で、「家へ向かうための車がやって来る2分前に」 3. tenure は在職。大学関係の場合、教授職などに対して与えられる終身雇用の権利などでも使われますが、一般の企業などではある期間に在籍すること。人事関係などで「昨年のあなたのtenureの時のタイトルは」とか「前の会社のtenureであなたは何人部下がいた?」みたいに割と使われる機会が多いです。 ここでの文を解説すると、 "I wanted to make sure I had tenure first." ここは直接話法になっているのに過去形になっていることは注目で、 「まず第一に職についている事を確実にしたかったんだ。」つまり、まだクビになっていないけれどクビになりそうな今の職についていること、在職していることがここではtenure。まだクビにもなっていないのに、「確実にしたかったんだ」と過去形で言ってしまっていて、すでに確実で無いことがわかってしまっているように聞こえ、だからプロポーズはしないと決めているように聞こえます。 もしこれが、"I want to make sure I have tenure first."と現在形だと話がかなり違ってきて、「仕事が継続できることをまず確実にしたいんだ。(そしたらプロポーズするよ)」と聞こえます。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1。cut my jobはfire meと全く同じでしょうか?  「全く」とは言えませんが、まあそんなものです、ちょっとどぎつさがクビになるより職を失う、に近いとおもいます。 2。 my ride home showed upは何の乗り物と判断したら良いでしょうか?  普通自分の車で来ていない時、誰かが迎えに来る場合で、迎えに来た人の車でしょう。 3。I had tenureはどのような意味でしょうか?  下記の名詞の3に近く「定年退職までの雇用が約束されている」という意味でしょう。 https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=tenure

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。では、I wanted to make sure I had tenure first.は「まず定年まで勤め上げたい」でしょうか?

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• よろしくお願いします

My sister has recently got engaged to a man I’ve never met. I’m happy for her as she sounds happy. She has now asked me to be her matron of honor and with my understanding of the responsibilities, I feel I cannot properly fill the duties. When I was getting married, she showed up hung over to my shower, canceled my bachelorette party the day of as “she had to work,” only to find out she went to be with her boyfriend, and purposely told me a later time for a bridesmaid dress appointment so she had her dress picked out by the time I got there. fill the dutiesは「役目を果たす」でしょうか?あと、showed up hung over to my showerはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I have a 1-year-old daughter. On my days off, I like to try to get together with my friend, Stacey, a stay-at-home mom, and her 2-year old daughter and 1-year-old son. About a month ago, I accepted an invitation to her house and took my daughter to play with her children. My daughter had a head-cold—runny nose, occasional cough. I didn’t think it was a big deal since I would still have taken her to day care had it been a day that I was working. had it been a day that I was workingの意味と文法的解説をよろしくお願いします

• out of touch

I overheard my older daughter telling her sister about her experience during her semester abroad—her sexual experience. She slept with nine different men, one in each country she visited. I left before I could hear more. I never thought that I was a prude, but it was unsettling to hear my baby girl has had more sex partners in a year than I’ve had in my life. I am worried about her behavior and why she would be telling this to her 16-year-old sister. My daughter has a 4.0 GPA, volunteers, and is usually a good person. Am I I overheard my older daughter telling her sister about her experience during her semester abroad—her sexual experience. She slept with nine different men, one in each country she visited. I left before I could hear more. I never thought that I was a prude, but it was unsettling to hear my baby girl has had more sex partners in a year than I’ve had in my life. I am worried about her behavior and why she would be telling this to her 16-year-old sister. My daughter has a 4.0 GPA, volunteers, and is usually a good person. Am I out of touch? ここでのout of touchはどのような意味でしょうか?辞書にそれらしき意味がないのですが・・よろしくお願いします

• 英語

1:I like my job,but I wish I made more money. Me too. If I (),I could buy a new car. (1)did (2)do (3)had (4)have 2:If I ()you, I would not accept that kind of offer. (1)am (2)have been (3)were (4)will be 3:If I() a camera with me I would have taken a picture of the lake. (1)have (2)had (3)had had (4)have had 4:Would you have taken the job if you() how terrible the conditions were? (1)knew (2)had known (3)have known (4)would have known 5:If she() late,give her this message. (1)were coming (2)would come (3)should come (4)shall come 解答と訳をお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I come from a well-to-do family. Not the Hiltons, but I have a trust fund that means I really don’t have to work if I don’t want to. But I wanted to do something with my life, so I got a degree in a health-related field (not nursing) and love my job. I also think I’m very good at it. The trouble is that when I took my first job, I promised myself that if I ever thought my working would cost somebody else his or her job, I would quit. I don’t need the money I earn to exist, but I know most other people do. Now my hospital is looking at cutbacks, and our department is being singled out. Ordinarily I would just quit so the decision is made for the higher-ups. if I ever thought my working would cost somebody else his or her job, I would quit. ですが、if I ever thought my working costedとなるよう習わなかったでしょうか?未来の仮定なのでwouldが使われているのでしょうか?あと、Ordinarily I would just quit so the decision is made for the higher-ups. の和訳も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• どのような意味でしょうか

I've been working within my industry for over 25 years. I've been working at my current firm for a year. Recently, we advertised a job opening. As regional manager, I screened the applications and passed my selections on to human resources to finalize. The candidate I preferred was a woman with 24 years of experience, "Barb." Barb was making $115,000 per year but said she was willing to take a cut. We decided to offer her the job. When I got a copy of the offer letter from HR, I was astonished that the head of HR, "Sarah," had offered Barb $120,000. My other seven sales reps' salaries were averaging between $100,000 and $105,000. Only one of them was making $110,000, and he has 19 years of experience. I had a talk with Sarah as to the reason for this unfairness. Her reply was that she had crunched the industry salaries on the market and decided to offer this amount. crunched the industry salaries on the markeとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 東大の和訳問題の一文です。

I was wondering how on earth I was going to get through the evening. Saturday. Saturday night and I was left alone with my grandmother. The others had gone --- my mother and my sister, both dating. Of course, I would have gone, too, if I had been able to get away first. Then I would not have had to think about the old woman, going through the routines that she would fill her evening with. 最後の一文にあるgoing throughを文法的にどう解釈すればよいのか分かりません。and的な分詞構文と考えてI would not have gone throughとしてよいのか、全く別の解釈ができるのでしょうか。

• よろしくお願いします

What is the best way to deal with an older sister (56) who treats me, her little brother (46), like a 3-year-old? She has never stopped talking about me in the third person when I’m standing next to her. When I’m working with subtitles for my job on my laptop, I’m playing a game. talking about me in the third personとworking with subtitles for my jobはどのような意味でしょうか?third personはothersとどう違うのでしょうか?なぜtheが付いているのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• だれが写った写真?

1 I showed her my son's picture.   2 I showed her a picture of my son. 上の二つとも 写っている人は 自分の息子 であると いえますか?文脈で 所有か被写体かを判断しますか?  シンプルですが、迷います。 特に 1が迷います。 宜しくお願いいたします。

• ◆今日中に(__) 文法問題 添削

次の問題の()に適当なものを入れて下さい。 なぜそうなるのかも教えていただけたら嬉しいです! 1.Your teacher would have given you some practical advice, if you ((2)) her that you had trouble with your family. (1)would have told (2)had told (3)would have asked (4)had asked 2.No answer ((3)), we had no choice but to attack the suspicious-looking ship. (1)receiving (2)having been received (3)was received (4)had received 3.The long and heated discussion ended ((4)) no conclusion reached. (1)as (2)when (3)and (4)with 4.Paul made his way ((3)) he believed to be the right direction. (1)how (2)where (3)in which (4)in what 5."If I do a good job on this project, is there any possibility ((1))?" he asked. (1)of me get a raise (2)that I got a raise (3)of my getting a raise (4)to getting a raise

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Excel2010を使用して、特定の日付に文字を入力する方法について教えてください。
  • A列セルには、特定の期間を連番で記載しており、B列セルには曜日を連番で記載しています。また、E列セルには祭日や会社の定休日が記載されています。
  • 土曜日や日曜日の場合は、C列セルに「休日」という文字を入力することができましたが、祭日や会社の定休日の場合はどのように入力すればよいか分からないため、教えてください。
回答を見る