Every state is founded on force

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Every state is founded on force
  • States are created through acts of violence
  • The concept of state formation involves the use of force
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文についての質問

In fact states appear to have been created through initial acts of violence that are themselves not justified by individual self-preservation. The Marxist political theorist Leon Trotsky suggested that “Every state is founded on force,” and Max Weber, not a Marxist, agreed. という文章がありあます。 ここでいう「Every state is founded on force」というのは「全ての国家は力(暴力)によって設立された」という訳でいいでしょうか?

• wxw
  • お礼率89% (1045/1166)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

ここでいう「Every state is founded on force」というのは「全ての国家は力(暴力)によって設立された」という訳でいいでしょうか?  はい、いいと思います。  「全ての国家は、力(暴力)の上に基礎を置いている」とも。

wxw
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 内容がつかめているようで安心しました。

関連するQ&A

• 英文についての質問です。

Can the power/violence of the state be justified? という質問があり、下記のような内容の文章がありました。 Huemer calls the special moral status we grant to government the problem of political authority, and argues that such legitimacy is an illusion, that nobody can have a right to rule, nor can anybody have an obligation to obey. In the Anglo-American political tradition, the justification of state legitimacy comes from social contract theory. In this theory the violence of the state is justified by comparing it to the supposedly much greater violence in a state of nature. 質問の回答として According to the Anglo-American political tradition, justification of the legitimacy of the state comes from social contract theory. In this theory, state violence is justified by comparing state of nature with much larger violence. (英米?政治によると、国家の合法性の正当化は社会契約理論から来ている。 この理論では、国家の暴力は、自然の国家をはるかに大きな暴力と比較することによって正当化される。) でいいでしょうか? 添削をお願いします。

• 英文についての質問

似たような質問が続きすみません。 What did Edmund Burke say is the problem with the state?という質問に対し、 He said the problem of the state is that all states trying to control human violence must be run by members of the same violence species. という回答をしようと思うのですが、こちらの英文の添削をして欲しいです。 下記の内容から少し文章を変えて英文を作りました。 Whether or not we accept the legitimacy of states as at least a theoretical possibility, we all are concerned with controlling the violence of the state. Edmund Burke was pessimistic about the possibility, given that all states intended to control the violence of humans must be run by members of that same violent species. The state itself, he argued, was the problem. よろしくお願いします。

• 英文についての質問です

What is the “habit of compliance”?という質問があるのですがそれに該当する文を引用しました。 (引用文が長くて申し訳ないです。訳していただかなくて大丈夫です) Whether we can philosophically justify it or not, the state is an institution of violence, and yet most often people do not revolt. As a practical matter, it is this acquiescence that political scientists call legitimacy. [Indeed this acquiescence is the primary reason people obey laws, not out of fear of punishment. ] [This “habit of compliance,” as political scientists call it,stems from people viewing the laws as legitimate enactments of the state. ] And their view of state legitimacy may itself be primarily a habit, or it may be based on their perceptions of whether they are getting sufficient benefits in exchange for the price the state extracts from them. In any case, it is rarely a considered philosophical conclusion. そして質問に対する答えです。[]内が該当する文章かな、と思いそれに基づいて英文を作りました。 ・Hibit of compliance is acquiescence that the people abey laws. It is that political scientists considers it the laws as legistimate enactments of the state. これらの回答は質問に対する答えになっているでしょうか? また、こちらの英文も添削して欲しいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語についての質問です

According to Weber, all states are based on what? という質問がありました。 で、文中の中からWeberについて記載のある箇所を探したのですが… [A] state is a human community that (successfully) claims the monopoly of the legitimate use of physical force within a given territory.” Second, the state has an “intimate” relationship with violence (as Weber describes it). [T]he state cannot be defined in terms of its ends. . . . [T]here is no task that one could say has always been exclusive and peculiar to . . . the state. . . . Ultimately, one can define the modern state sociologically only in terms of the specific means peculiar to it, as to every political association, namely, the use of physical force. とありました。 質問に対する答えは2つ目のthe state has an “intimate” relationship with violence でいいでしょうか? 基礎になっているか、と聞かれたら違う気もするのですが… もしくはこの中には答えはないでしょうか?(私が見落としているだけかもしれません) ** 英文の質問に対する答えがthe state has an “intimate” relationship with violence であっているかどうか。 私が引用してきた文章の中に別の答えがあるなら、「これじゃない」と教えて欲しいです。 また、答えになりそうな文章がない場合も、そのような旨を教えて欲しいです。 ややこしいのですが、よろしくお願いします。

• 英文についての質問です。

Full well do I know that in order to attain any definite goal it is imperative that one person should do the thinking and commanding and carry most of the responsibility. But those who are led should not be driven, and they should be allowed to choose their leader. It seems to me that the distinctions separating the social classes are false; in the last analysis they rest on force. I am convinced that degeneracy follows every autocratic system of violence, for violence inevitably attracts moral inferiors. Time has proved that illustrious tyrants are succeeded by scoundrels. For this reason I have always been passionately opposed to such regimes as exist in Russia and Italy to-day. The thing which has discredited the European forms of democracy is not the basic theory of democracy itself, which some say is at fault, but the instability of our political leadership, as well as the impersonal character of party alignments. (What I Believe by A. Einstein) わからない点について教えてください。 1)But those who are led should not be driven, and they should be allowed to choose their leader. those who are led should not be drivenのshould not be drivenの個所はどのように意味をとるとよいのでしょうか?人の思うままになってはいけない、というような意味ですか? 2) in the last analysis they rest on forceのrestは「~に基づく」という意味ですか? 3)The thing which has discredited the European forms of democracy is not the basic theory of democracy itself, which some say is at fault, but the instability of our political leadership, as well as the impersonal character of party alignments. この英文は、基本的にnot~but構文ですか? which some say is at faultのwhichは関係代名詞ですか?先行詞は冒頭のthe thingですか? the impersonal character of party alignmentsの意味がとりにくいのですが、「政党の一直線化(整列化?)の非個人的な特質」?(ほとんど意味がわかりません) 質問が多くなってしまいましたが、よろしくお願いいたします。

• 訳してください

In summary, from a philosophical perspective state legitimacy may be hard to justify. At the least, we must recognize that states’ capacity for violence is not easily constrained to only violence that can reasonably be called legitimate, and the very nature of the state tends towards illegitimate uses of violence. This is an important consideration as we consider the purpose and structure of the U.S. Constitution. 要約すると、哲学的な観点から、国家の合法性を正当化するのは難しいかもしれない。少なくとも、私たちは暴力のための(を使う?)国家の能力は、(??)、国家の本質は暴力の違法使用に向いている。これは、米国憲法の目的と構造を考慮する上で重要な考慮事項です。 At the least, we must recognize that states’ capacity for violence [is not easily constrained to only violence that can reasonably be called legitimate], and the very nature of the state tends towards illegitimate uses of violence. 特にこの[ ]内をどのように訳せばいいのかわかりません。 分かる方訳してほしいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 添削してください

Do you agree that all states, even democratic ones, are ultimately based on the use or threat of violence? Why or why not? このような質問があり、 I agree. Becaue as Weber discribed, the state and violence have an intimate relationship. Violence is the foundation and features of all state, as it also includes democracy. ⇨Weberが述べるように国家と暴力は深い(intimate)関係がある。 暴力は全ての国家の基盤と特徴であり、それは民主主義も含まれているため。 と回答しようかと思うのですが、こちらの英文を添削して欲しいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の和訳お願いします

We cannot, we must not, refuse to protect the right of every American to vote in every election that he may desire to participate in.And we ought not, and we cannot, and we must not wait another eight months before we get a bill. We have already waited 100 years and more and the time for waiting is gone. So I ask you to join me in working long hours and nights and weekends, if necessary, to pass this bill. And I don't make that request lightly, for, from the window where I sit, with the problems of our country, I recognize that from outside this chamber is the outraged conscience of a nation, the grave concern of many nations and the harsh judgment of history on our acts.

• 英文についての質問

本文が長くてすみません。 Why did political scientist Rudolf Rummel say about the power of states? (なぜRudolf Rummelは国家の力について語ったのか)という質問があります。 その答えに対する箇所を引用しました↓ Jared Diamond is wrong about one thing, though. At their worst states are far worse than kleptocracies; they are killing machines. The violence that make the state effective is also what makes it dangerous. Violence is power, and most people have heard the words of the English historian Lord Acton that, “Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.” American political scientist Rudolph Rummel has an even gloomier claim: “Power kills; absolute power kills absolutely.” (しかし、Jared Diamondは一つ間違っていることがある。 最もひどい国家は、収奪政治[国家]よりはるかに悪いです。 それらは殺すマシンです。 国家を効果的にする暴力は、それを危険なものにする。 暴力は権力である。英国の歴史家であるアクトンの言葉を多くの人が聞いたことがあります。「力は腐敗しがちで、絶対的な力は必ず腐敗する」アメリカの政治学者、Rudolf Rummelはさらに悲観的な主張をしています。 絶対的な力は絶対に殺される」) 上の質問に対する回答としては、「暴力は国家を効果的にもするがより危険なものにもする。絶対的な力は絶対殺されると考えているからだ。」というような内容で回答になっているでしょうか? He described it because violence makes the state effective but more dangerous. He thinking absolute power kills absolutely. 回答はこのような内容でいいか。もし、適切であればこちらの英文の添削をして欲しいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• この英文の意味を教えてはいただけないでしょうか?

こんにちは。 お世話になります。 英語初学者です。 下記に挙げます英文の意味が分からず、困り果てております。 And my dogs,my big wonderful dogs running everyshere, getting their muddy paws on every couch, chair, divan, and ottoman in sight so that it is simply not possible to sit down without getting spittle or mud on one's clothing. 一体、何と書かれているのでしょうか? 特に、so thatの意味がよく分りません。 どなたか、お力を貸してはいただけないでしょうか? よろしくお願い申し上げます。