Why is sometimes so important?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Sometimes, the dynamic of race does not exist if someone doesn't explicitly talk about it.
  • There is a long history of us trying to suggest that the dynamic of race does not exist without explicit discussions about it.
  • The phrase 'sometimes' in the given context implies that there are cases where people may not acknowledge the presence of race-related issues.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

このsometimesは何なのでしょう

I think that there's a long history sometimes of us trying to suggest that, if someone doesn't explicitly talk about race, right, if you don't say these black players should be punished, that all of a sudden, the dynamic of race does not exist. 上記の英文のうち、次の部分は訳せます。 if someone doesn't explicitly talk about race, right, if you don't say these black players should be punished, that all of a sudden, the dynamic of race does not exist.「もし誰も人種に関して声高に言わなければ。もし貴方が黒人選手は罰せられるべきであると言うことがなければ。突発的に、人種問題の動きが現れるようなことはないでしょう」 要するに、火の無いところ煙は立たず、ということを言っている。反語的に「こうして人種問題が顕在化するということは、誰かが人種に関する問題発言をしたということだ」と言っているのだと思います。 I think that there's a long history sometimes of us trying to suggest that, の部分が分かりません。文法構造はどうなっていますか 「時々、長い歴史があると思います。」というのでは支離滅裂になるので、 I think that there's a long history. Sometimes of us trying to suggest that, と、おそらくhistoryまでで文が途切れていると思うのですが、そうだとしても次が訳せません まず確認させて頂きたいのですが、 us trying toの部分は、we are trying toという関係でしょうか。 もしかして I think that there's a long history of us trying to suggest that 「~ということを連想させようとする我々における、長い経緯がある」? つまり(something抜きで)全体を訳すと 「私が思うに、長い経緯があるのです。もし誰も人種に関して声高に言わなければ・・・・つまり、もし貴方が黒人選手は罰せられるべきであると言うことがなければ、突発的に、人種問題の動きが現れるようなことはない(=火の無いところに煙は立たない)はずだということを示唆しようと試みる我々の、長い歴史があるということです。」という意味でしょうか。これで意味が繋がりました。 しかしsomethimesが繋がりません。「長い経緯がある」とは「事実」です。一方「時々、我々に長い経緯がある」という表現は「我々に長い経緯が無い場合もある」ということなので事実を否定することになります。 「時々、地球が球体である」「時々、海水には塩が含まれている」これは言語的に支離滅裂です。長文を読んでいただき、ありがとうございます。

noname#229314
noname#229314
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.2

[支持] をして下さった方があるようなので、心強いです。 もちろん、お示しの訳文で問題ないと思います。その訳文が原文で、それが英訳されたのだと見ても不自然ではないくらいな自然な日本語になっていると思います。

noname#229314
質問者

お礼

御回答ありがとうございます。 最上のお褒めの言葉を頂いて、たいへんうれしいです。 英語学習者として、人から一度は言われてみたいセリフでした。 しかし、意味が繋がったのは、bakansky様の御回答のお陰です。 ありがとうございます。 結局、sometimesは副詞なので、文の中のどこでも用いることができるわけだから、history of usの中に挿入されていたからといって戸惑うことはなかったということなのですね。 existは「存在する」のほか「現れる」という解釈も出来ると言うことを辞書で知ったのですが、 all of a sudden, the dynamic of race does not existまさに好例ですよね。 ところで「支持」とは? bakansky様の御回答を支持された方が他にいるのですか? この度は長文にも関わらず、拙文に御回答いただき感謝しております。 よい週末をお過ごしください。

その他の回答 (1)

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

素人考えかもしれませんが、その sometimes は sometimes of us trying to suggest that ... という部分との結びつきが強いような印象を受けます。主語は we なので、we sometimes try to suggest that ... という意味合いなのではないでしょうか。

noname#229314
質問者

お礼

補足コメントに問題が無ければ一言仰っていただければBAにさせていただきます。 もし問題がある場合は御指摘願います いつも御回答ありがとうございます。

noname#229314
質問者

補足

bakansky様、御回答ありがとうございます 前回の質問でも大変お世話になりました 仰ることは分かります。 つまりこういうことですね。 I think that there's a long history sometimes of us trying to suggest that, if someone doesn't explicitly talk about race, right, if you don't say these black players should be punished, that all of a sudden, the dynamic of race does not exist. 「私が思うに、これには長い歴史があるのです。もし誰も人種に関して声高に言わなければ・・・・そうです、もし貴方が、黒人選手は罰せられるべきであるなどと言ったりしなければ、突発的に、人種問題の動きが現れるようなことはない(火の無いところに煙は立たない)はずである、ということを我々は、時々(=度々)伝えようとしてきたのです。そういう長い経緯があるわけです」 繋がりました。 上記の解釈で問題ありませんでしょうか?

関連するQ&A

• 添削お願いします

In other words, there is a misunderstanding that people who are mixed race is not be discriminated among people who do not have the background of mixed race. 「言い換えると、人種混合の背景がない人たちの間では、人種的混血のある人は差別されない、と言う誤解があるということだ。」 *人種混合・人種的混血をmixed raceとしました。 こちらの英文を添削して欲しいです。

• 和訳お願いします

Think of it this way. Each of us is, more or less, an egg. Each of us is a unique, irreplaceable soul enclosed in a fragile shell. This is true of me, and it is true of each of you. And each of us, to a greater or lesser degree, is "The System". The System is supposed to protect us, but sometimes it take on a life of its own, and then it begins to kill us and cause us to kill others-coldly, efficiently, systematically.

• 【英語について】日本語→英語

日本語→「原因は白人の出生率が低下傾向にあること、アメリカに流入する移民が多いことが挙げられます。米国の人種間の関係が変わりつつあるように思える。」 英語→「The cause is white birth rate tends to decline and there are a lot of influx of immigrants in the United States. It seems that the relationship between race is changing.」 こちらの文を日本語→英語にしたのであっているか見て欲しいです。よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳お願いします。

ANDREW SKURKA: “There is something about that stretch that made me feel so much more vulnerable and susceptible and exposed to the natural conditions. And I think a lot of it had to do with knowing that I was so far out there that if anything were to go wrong, help was a long way away” 10段落目 http://www.voanews.com/learningenglish/home/world/Explorer-Andrew-Skurka-Takes-Hiking-to-a-New-Level--118474734.html

• 【英語】添削お願いします 無人島

テーマは無人島に着いたらどうするかです。 設定としては自分以外にも何人か漂流者がいるそうです。 If I were flushed out to an inhabitable island, I would firstly suggest the other survivors that we search for foods which enable us to live at least three days. If it were not for foods, we can do nothing. Also, if not, it would be a matter of time to die. Only with foods, we could have margin to think what to do next. Second, I would suggest that we examine whether it is safe around us. If it were proved to be dangerous, for example, there are violent animals, we would try to protect us. By contrast, if it were proved to be safe around us, we could wait for help with relieved. 文法、時制、構成などについてチェックお願いしますm(__)m

• he can get for itですが・・・

Some writers think about the life of books as some savages think about the life of men―that there are books which never die. They all die sooner or later ; but that will not hinder an author from trying to give his book as long a life as he can get for it. The fact that it will have to die is no good reason for letting it die sooner than can be helped. 上記の英文で、he can get for itの意味が解りません。 このforは何ですか?itの対価を示すのでしょうか? itはbookのことですね?

• 日本語訳お願いします。

The best way of approaching philosophy is to ask a few philosophical question: How was the world created?Is there any will or meaning behind what happens? Is there a life after death?How can we answer these questions?And most important,how ought we to live?People have been asking questions throughout the ages.We know of no culture which has not concerned itself with what man is and where the world came from. Basically there are not many philosophical questions to ask.We have already asked some of the most important ones.But history presents us with many different answers to each question.So it is easier to ask philosophical questions than to answer them. Today as well each individual has to discover his own answer to these same questions.You cannot find out whether there is a God or whether there is life after death by looking in an encyclopedia.Nor does the encyclopedia tell us how we ought to live.However,reading what other people have believed can help us formulate our own view of life. Philosopheres’ search for the truth resembles a detective story.Some think Andersen was the murderer,others think it was Nielsen or Jensen.The police are sometimes able to solve a real crime.But it is equally possible that they never get to the bottom of it,although there is a solution somewhere.So even if it is difficult to answer a question,there may be one―and only one―right answer.Either there is a kind of existence after death―or there is not. A lot of age-old enigmas have now been explained by science.What the dark side of the moon looks like was once shrouded in mystery.It was not the kind of thing that could be solved by discussion;it was left to the imagination of the individual.But today we know exactly what the dark side of the moon looks like,and no one can `believe` any longer in the Man in the Moon,or that the moon is made of green cheese. A Greek philosopher who lived more than two thousand years ago believed that philosophy had its origin in man’s sense of wonder.Man thought it was so astonishing to be alive that philosophical questions arose of their own accord.

• ドレミの歌の「That will bring us back to d

ドレミの歌の「That will bring us back to do.」の意味は?Thatが指すものは何でしょうか? ドレミの歌の英語版の歌詞が以下であることを知りました。 ---------------------- Doe, a deer, a female deer Ray, a drop of golden sun Me, a name I call myself Far, a long long way to run Sew, a needle pulling thread La, a note to follow sew Tea, I drink with jam and bread That will bring us back to do. ---------------------- だいたい意味は分かるのですが、最後のthatだけよく分かりません。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文和訳お願いします。

こんにちは いつもお世話になっています。 今回は英文の和訳をお願いします。 i think in time you will learn that evil has no preferences to race, or anything else. there's bad caucasians. i think a lot of them are lazy, fat, ugly, and equally as perverted. no one's perfect. i hope you learn to be happy with how you were born soon. :) ではよろしくお願いします m(__)m

• 長文 和訳

こないだテストでだされたんですが和訳した回答を配ってくれませんでした。。。自分の訳があっているか知りたいのでだいたいで良いので和訳できる人がいたらよろしくお願いします。。。 You may wonder why Hawaiians are so eager to maintain their native language. I think the answer is that language is more than just a means of exchanging information. We see the world around us through the window of our language. It enables us to share the history and culture of our people, and so it helps us find our identity. If we lose our language, we lose something of ourselves. Imagine that English has taken the place of the Japanese language here in Japan. What happens to your culture and identity? English is useful for communication in many parts of the world, but your mother tongue is an important part of your identity. In Japan ,too,there is a minority language, just as in Hawaii. The Ainu people have lose much of their language and culture. Today, they are trying to revive their traditions. In this class we are going to study English of course, but I want you to remember that your mother tongue is the most important language in the world. Mahalo for listening. 以上なんですが長文なのでかなり長いです。。。  これでも回答してくれる方お願いいたします。