Unfathomable Mysteries

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In this question, the user is seeking clarification on certain passages from a literary text. They are particularly puzzled by the inversion of word order and the poetic descriptions. They request assistance in understanding the intended meanings and nuances of these passages.
  • The user has inquired about the phrase 'Somewhere close by is the sea' and wonders why the word order is inverted. They also seek clarification on the phrase 'the interlocking patterns of the waves discernible by moonlight, some blue-black here between the pearlescent ribbons of light that blur across the low crests.' They struggle to decipher the poetic expressions and query the usage of 'beween' instead of 'between'
  • The user finds the following passage puzzling: 'to the other is a little promontory of land that curves out into the water, defining a naturally calm place sheltered from the greater expanse of the sea beyond.' They seek clarification on the meaning of 'curves out into the water' and 'defining a naturally calm place.' Finally, they inquire about the phrase 'The shadow of the rock where it hits the water kills the moonlight' and seek an explanation for this poetic expression.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

わからない個所を教えてください。

I can’t understand. I stare at them, frowning, and the colours shift under the intensity of my gaze: change for a moment and are darker, as if a cloud has come over the sky and cut out all the light of the sun—(前回の終わりの部分です) Darkness but the light of stars— It’s dark; the shadows of the rocks and cliffs are very deep. It is night-time, and the cliffs and the vegetation that straggles along their top are leached of colour. Somewhere close by is the sea: the sound of it, slowly rhythmic; the interlocking patterns of the waves discernible by moonlight, some blue-black here beween the pearlescent ribbons of light that blur across the low crests. Off to one side are three rocks breaking out of the water, and to the other is a little promontory of land that curves out into the water, defining a naturally calm place sheltered from the greater expanse of the sea beyond. The shadow of the rock where it hits the water kills the moonlight, and makes a dark, impenetrable hollow by the curving underside of the promontory. Standing on the curve of land— ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。 Somewhere close by is the seaの読み方は倒置で、the sea is somewhere close byですか?(海はどこか近くにある?)もしそうだとしたら、なぜわざわざ倒置にしているのでしょうか? the interlocking patterns of the waves discernible by moonlight, some blue-black here beween the pearlescent ribbons of light that blur across the low crests. について、表現を読み取るのが難しいのですが。。。 月の光によって識別できる波の混合パターン??なんとなく雰囲気は掴めるのですが、、、ここに何かの濃い藍色。。。低い波頭を横切って、ぼやける光の光沢がある虹色のきらめきがあるリボン。。。??上手く英文が掴めません。 (原文にbeweenとあるのですが、これはbetweenの間違いなんでしょうか??) 以下も倒置だと思われるのですが、 to the other is a little promontory of land that curves out into the water, defining a naturally calm place sheltered from the greater expanse of the sea beyond.の curves out into the water,の部分は、水の中に外にカーブする、という意味ですか?意味が掴みにくいです。どういう事でしょうか? defining a naturally calm placeの部分は、穏やかな場所を明らかにして、という意味ですか?definingの意味の取り方がよくわかりません。 The shadow of the rock where it hits the water kills the moonlight, and makes a dark, impenetrable hollow by the curving underside of the promontory.の it hits the water kills the moonlight,についてですが、itはthe shadow of the rockだと思うのですが、それが水が月の光を殺す、というのはどういう状態なのでしょうか? 詩的な表現を読み取るのが難しいです。 教えてください。お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数8

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 92128bwsd
  • ベストアンサー率58% (2275/3919)
回答No.1

ここは、言葉だけで細かい風景を表現しているので、頭のなかでどう言う絵を描くか人によって違うだろうし、またストーリーの主題には影響がない部分かと思います。個別にはわかりにくいので、全訳してみます。 「暗い。岩と崖の影は深く濃い。今は夜。そして崖と、上に向かってまばらになっていく草木の色が混ざり合う。そのあたりの近くには海が来ている。音がゆっくりとリズムを刻む。月明かりで照らされた波の模様が絡み合う。低い波の頂点を結ぶぼんやりした光沢の帯の間を埋めるいくぶん青みがかった黒。片方のはずれには水面から飛び出た3つの岩があり、反対のハズレには少し反り立った陸地が湾曲を描いて海に落ち込んでいて、外に大きく拡がる海から守られた天然の穏やかな一角を形成している。その岩の影が海に差し掛かるところで月明かりを覆い隠し、反り立った海岸の下の湾曲によって、何物も寄せ付けない空間(洞窟?)を作っている。」 Somewhere close by is the seaの読み方は倒置で、the sea is somewhere close byですか?(海はどこか近くにある?)もしそうだとしたら、なぜわざわざ倒置にしているのでしょうか? ⇒ 倒置です。特に深い意味は無いと思いますが、こちらの方が状況をよく説明すると思います。目線を崖と草を見ていてそこから目をずらしていくと、どうも近くに海があると言う感じでしょう。倒置じゃなくすると、一度風景を全部頭に入れて、客観的に岩がどこにあって、海がどこにあってと記述している感じになり、Alexの息遣いが感じられずそっけないです。 the interlocking patterns of the waves discernible by moonlight, some blue-black here beween the pearlescent ribbons of light that blur across the low crests. について、表現を読み取るのが難しいのですが。。。 月の光によって識別できる波の混合パターン??なんとなく雰囲気は掴めるのですが、、、ここに何かの濃い藍色。。。低い波頭を横切って、ぼやける光の光沢がある虹色のきらめきがあるリボン。。。??上手く英文が掴めません。 (原文にbeweenとあるのですが、これはbetweenの間違いなんでしょうか??) ⇒ beweenはbetweenでしょうね。拙訳は、私の理解で、暗い海に小さな波がたっていて、その低い波の頂点をつなぐように月明かりが反射していてそのことを真珠のような光沢のぼんやりした光のリボンと表現しているのかと。そしてその明かりがない部分の海水の色がいくぶん青みがかった黒。その様子全体が、その前の文章で言うところの、the interlocking patterns of the waves discemible by moonlight. 以下も倒置だと思われるのですが、 ⇒ これも表現的には、ひとつの端の3つの岩を最初見て、その視線をずっと反対のはじに移す (to the other)状況を倒置で表していると重ます。 to the other is a little promontory of land that curves out into the water, defining a naturally calm place sheltered from the greater expanse of the sea beyond.の curves out into the water,の部分は、水の中に外にカーブする、という意味ですか?意味が掴みにくいです。どういう事でしょうか? ⇒ カーブして陸から出ていって(out) 水にもぐりこんでいく(into)。 あらかじめ言っておくと、このカーブがどう言う計上か私も掴みきれていません。弧を上に向けて水に入り込んでいるのか、陸地を内側にえぐるように入り込んでいるのか、これだけではわかりません。ただ、後でhollowが出てきますが、これが物理的な洞窟、窪地を表しているとしたら後者。 defining a naturally calm placeの部分は、穏やかな場所を明らかにして、という意味ですか?definingの意味の取り方がよくわかりません。 ⇒ 風景全体を絵画的なテーマとして考えると、その中で、天然で静かな場所として、描写された、指定された、みたいな意味でしょう。日本語でどう表現するかはまた別。 The shadow of the rock where it hits the water kills the moonlight, and makes a dark, impenetrable hollow by the curving underside of the promontory.の it hits the water kills the moonlight,についてですが、itはthe shadow of the rockだと思うのですが、それが水が月の光を殺す、というのはどういう状態なのでしょうか? ⇒ where はthe rock, itはthe shadowと思います。その影hits the waterとは、影が海に差し掛かるところ。そこで岩の影が月の光を隠してそのあたりを真っ暗にしていると言うことと思います。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

とても詳しく解説してくださってありがとうございました! 全訳もしてくださってありがとうございました。 the interlocking patterns of the waves discernible by moonlight~の個所は『月明かりで照らされた波の模様が絡み合う。低い波の頂点を結ぶぼんやりした光沢の帯の間を埋めるいくぶん青みがかった黒。』となるのですね。”暗い海に小さな波がたっていて、その低い波の頂点をつなぐように月明かりが反射していて”の解説を読んで、なるほどと思いました。 あらためて普段読み慣れない表現がされているのを感じ、自分ではとても言葉に置き換えられませんでした。 defining a naturally calm placeのdefiningは”描写された、指定された”という意味合いですね。 The shadow of the rock ~のところの解説もよくわかりました。 Somewhere close by is the sea: の個所が倒置かどうか回答が割れてしまいましたが、ベストアンサーとさせていただきました。

その他の回答 (3)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15294/33013)
回答No.4

##2です。補足です。  前に「月の光の反射は手前まで続いているわけですが、それ(= it)が岩の黒い加減によって遮られ切れている 」と書きました。  下記でそれがわかるようにしたつもりです。海の中に弧を描いて突き出している岬は左に移しました。岩の一つを月光の線に入れて中断を再現しました。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

再再度、イラストをありがとうございます! 岩によって月光の線が中断されているさまがよくわかりました。 何度もありがとうございます! 夜の紺色と波に揺らめいている月光の黄色の対比がとてもきれいだと思います。

• SPS700
回答No.3

#2です。少し明るくして左の岩3個と、右の海岸線の弧が見えるように(同時に僕の稚拙なところも)いたしました。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

再度イラストをいただいてありがとうございます! 最初の絵より全体的に明るくなった分、3つの岩と海岸線の弧がはっきりいたしました。ありがとうございます!

• SPS700
回答No.2

1。Somewhere close by is the seaの読み方は倒置で、the sea is somewhere close byですか?(海はどこか近くにある?)もしそうだとしたら、なぜわざわざ倒置にしているのでしょうか?  これは倒置ではなく、箇条書きの表題のような書き方であることが、後にコロンがあることでわかります。「どこか海の近く(の風景):」という感じです。 2。the interlocking patterns of the waves discernible by moonlight, some blue-black here beween the pearlescent ribbons of light that blur across the low crests. について、表現を読み取るのが難しいのですが。。。 月の光によって識別できる波の混合パターン??なんとなく雰囲気は掴めるのですが、、、ここに何かの濃い藍色。。。低い波頭を横切って、ぼやける光の光沢がある虹色のきらめきがあるリボン。。。??上手く英文が掴めません。  僕の下手くそな絵で多少感じがお分かりになれば、と思います。 3。(原文にbeweenとあるのですが、これはbetweenの間違いなんでしょうか??)  おっしゃる通りです。 4。以下も倒置だと思われるのですが、 to the other is a little promontory of land that curves out into the water, defining a naturally calm place sheltered from the greater expanse of the sea beyond.の curves out into the water,の部分は、水の中に外にカーブする、という意味ですか?意味が掴みにくいです。どういう事でしょうか?  はい、僕も弧を描く海岸線を右手に書きました。 5。defining a naturally calm placeの部分は、穏やかな場所を明らかにして、という意味ですか?definingの意味の取り方がよくわかりません。  はっきりと静かで波のない湾内の内海と、荒れて波立つ外海との歴然たる企画を弧を描いて海に突き出る、岬が若手いる、ということでしょう。 6。The shadow of the rock where it hits the water kills the moonlight, and makes a dark, impenetrable hollow by the curving underside of the promontory.の it hits the water kills the moonlight,についてですが、itはthe shadow of the rockだと思うのですが、それが水が月の光を殺す、というのはどういう状態なのでしょうか?  月の光の反射は手前まで続いているわけですが、それ(= it)が岩の黒い加減によって遮られ切れている、ということです。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

今回、英文で書かれたものをイラストを描いて解説してくださってありがとうございました! the interlocking patterns of the waves discernible by moonlight,~の月明かりと波の感じ、 Off to one side are three rocks breaking out of the waterの個所の3つの岩、 to the other is a little promontory of land ~の個所の弧を描く海岸線、 The shadow of the rock where it hits the water kills the moonlight, ~の個所の、月の光の反射が岩の黒い加減によって遮られ切れている様子がよくわかりました。 わざわざ描いてくださってあらためてありがとうございます! (これはCGで描かれたものなのでしょうか?月明かりの表現がとても上手だと思います)

関連するQ&A

• わからない箇所について教えてください。

"The valley is sharp, and Altesa extends about a quarter of the way up it from the sea. The buildings of the town are huddled together between shoulders of land that rise on either side. From the very top of the town, the coast is only an hour’s walk away, if you’re young. You can go the whole way in bare feet in that time. The beaches are rocky, and there are inlets and coves hidden away which can be reached only by the cliffs, or by scrambling around promontories. In summer, the sea from the cliffs is hugely blue, like deeply fired ceramic, but glittering with motion. Gentle Mediterranean currents guide the shoals of fishes, and underwater the rocks are furred with weed and patterned with constantly moving bands of cool light." Guy BurtのThe Dandelion Clockからの英文です。 *********************************************************** Altesa extends about a quarter of the way up it from the sea.の個所について。 Altesaというのは地名だと思うのですが、about a quarter of the way up it from the sea.のところがわかりません。itはThe valleyですか?about a quarter(4分の1?) of the wayとは? The buildings of the town are huddled together between shoulders of land that rise on either side. の個所について。 shoulders of land that rise on either side.のところがよくわかりません。どんな感じなのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

The shadow of the rock where it hits the water kills the moonlight, and makes a dark, impenetrable hollow by the curving underside of the promontory. Standing on the curve of land—(前回の終わりの部分です) With a quick gasp and shudder the pictures are around me again. I stare at them blankly for one long, uncertain moment when the floor feels not quite solid and I am not sure whether I can keep my grip here or not. Then everything is hard and real again. With clumsy hands I sweep the photographs together into a pile, fumbling them together, pushing them away from me. What was that? Where did that come from? I look around the room and everything is how it was. I need to do something. I need simple work that will – steady me. Hold me together. By the wall are tins of paint. I remember: the room is the wrong colour. All the rooms are wrong. I have to change them back. Moving quickly – eagerly – I leave the paintings in the middle of the room and turn my back to them, getting brushes, a screwdriver, levering the lids from the cans of emulsion. I look at the empty expanse of the wall, ready for new paint, and take a deep breath. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。 I stare at them blankly for one long, uncertain moment when the floor feels not quite solid and I am not sure whether I can keep my grip here or not.の中のthe floor feels not quite solid の意味がよくわかりません。床が完全に堅いと感じない??主人公の独特な感性の表現なのでしょうか? また、 I can keep my grip here or notのgripの意味は「理解力」「把握力」ですか? What was that? Where did that come from?は斜体で書かれているのですが、thatが漠然として読みとれません。これは主人公だけが知っているthatのようなものなのでしょうか? 唐突にHold me togetherと出てくるのですが、これは前から繋がっていて、I need simple work that will hold me together.と読むのでしょうか?どんな風に意味合いを取るのでしょうか?一緒に私を抱く(支える?保持する?)とは? 教えてください。 お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。2

At last, just as Lena is saying that maybe we should be heading back, I see a bridge ahead of us in the dirt road. ‘Lena – a bridge!’ She smiles. ‘Go on, then.’ (前回の終わりの部分です) I dash on to reach it. The sides of the bridge are higher than they have looked, and as I wait for Lena I haul myself up to lean over the edge. Below me, though, there isn’t a river, as I’d hoped; the ground is dry, sandy, though there are what look like waves and ripples in the sand. The sand – or dust; some of it looked more that way – is reddish, like all the earth around Altesa, but much finer, and smooth. Where rocks stand up in its surface, the sand seems to have flowed round them, making strange, fluid shapes. In several places there are matted thatches of dead sticks and twigs and rubbish and leaves, turned brown and dry by the sun. Lena stands beside me and looks over also. ‘There’s no water,’ I say. ‘No,’ she agrees. ‘But it looks like a river. And there’s a bridge.’ ‘Sometimes there’s water in it,’ she says. ‘When the storms come. But most of the time it’s dry. It’s not really a river, you see, it’s just a place where the water runs when it rains in the hills.’ ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は回想シーンだと思われます。 The sides of the bridge are higher than they have looked, and as I wait for Lena I haul myself up to lean over the edge.の個所がなのですが、 橋の端は見た目よりも高い。。。橋の端が高い、というのはどういう感じなのでしょうか? In several places there are matted thatches of dead sticks and twigs and rubbish and leaves, turned brown and dry by the sun. について、この中のrubbishは”ごみ”という意味なのでしょうか?ふきわらの屋根の素材で dead sticksとtwigs とleavesはわかるのですが、rubbishがわかりません。 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

‘But it looks like a river. And there’s a bridge.’ ‘Sometimes there’s water in it,’ she says. ‘When the storms come. But most of the time it’s dry. It’s not really a river, you see, it’s just a place where the water runs when it rains in the hills.’ (前回の終わりの部分です) ‘Oh,’ I say. I am slightly disappointed that there’s no water, but the not-a-river is peculiar and a little magical. I let my gaze travel up along its length, tracing the course back up through the valley. It twists and meanders from side to side a bit, but I can make out its paler route among the dark earth and grey-green grasses and scrub right up towards the foothills of the valley’s end. Just at the point where it fades from sight, I can see a little building: white walls and rust-coloured roof, standing alone in the middle of nowhere. ‘What’s that?’ ‘Where?’ she asks. I point, and she bends her head down to follow the line of my arm. ‘That. The little house.’ ‘Oh,’ she says. ‘That’s not a house. That’s a church.’ She pauses for a moment. ‘Well, rightly it’s more like a chapel. That’s a small church. It’s not used now. You know the church in the town?’ ‘Yes.’ ‘People go there. The chapel – well, it’s a ruin now. Not many people live up that end of the valley any more.’ ‘Mm,’ I say. ‘There’s a story about that place,’ she says after a second. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は回想シーンだと思われます。 It twists and meanders from side to side a bit, but I can make out its paler route among the dark earth and grey-green grasses and scrub right up towards the foothills of the valley’s end.の中に出てくるscrubの意味がわかりません。make outは見分けるでしょうか? ‘Well, rightly it’s more like a chapel. That’s a small church. It’s not used now. You know the church in the town?’ というセリフがありますが、You know the church in the town?のthe churchは二人が見つけた教会のことを指しているのでしょうか?それとも一般的にある町の教会を指しているのでしょうか? theがついているのでよくわからなくなってしまったのですが、二人が見つけた教会はIt’s not used nowと言っていて、You know the church in the town?のセリフの後にPeople go there.と言っているので一般的にある町の教会の方でしょうか? Not many people live up that end of the valley any more.のupはどのように意味をとるのでしょうか?その谷の終わりの上の方にはもはやたくさんの人は住んでいません? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth. There are a few clouds low on the line of hills, but leaning out of the window I can see that the sky overhead is clear.(前回の終わりの部分です) I find myself searching the darkness at the head of the valley for the winking green light that is my signal, but I am more than forty years too late. There is nothing there, and yet I still can’t get rid of it: the suspicion that I might catch it out of the corner of my eye – the three blinks of green from up by the dandelion clock that mean it is time to set off. I shake my head. There is no hermit any more. There never was a hermit; not a real one. I look up at the sky again. It’s not the time of year for the shooting stars yet; a few months must pass before the Perseids wash through the Earth’s orbit and burn briefly through the high atmosphere. Jamie tells me all about them. We watch them together. *************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに帰ってきています。 JamieはAlexの幼友達です。 I find myself searching the darkness at the head of the valley for the winking green light that is my signal, but I am more than forty years too late. のところがわかりません。 私は谷の頂上で暗闇を探している。。。私の合図であるウィンクしている緑の光に対して??search for~で熟語になっているような気もするのですが。。。 There is nothing there, and yet I still can’t get rid of itの最後のitはthe winking green light ですか? the three blinks of green from up by the dandelion clock that mean it is time to set off.ここのthe dandelion clockはこの作品のタイトルにもなっているのですが、 ここの英文の意味はどうやってとるのでしょうか?(the dandelion clock はタンポポの綿毛?it is time to set off=出発の時間である? from up byの前置詞が繋がっているところがよくわかりません) thatは関係代名詞でしょうか?先行詞はthe three blinks of green from up by the dandelion clockですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Lena shows me how to make a cat’s-cradle and pass it from person to person; I stretch string tight and twang it, feeling the quick-dying vibrations in my hands; I coil string tightly around my thumb and leave a red spiral mark when I take it off, neat grooves running all the way up. (前回の終わりの部分です) This problem is easier, though. The boy – Jamie – Pleased to meet you – wants to get over the wall, but there’s no tree like the one I have. I think it through, and am pleased to realize he has gone to get a ladder, when there is a scuffling sound off to my left, on my side of the wall. I look round, and to my surprise see Jamie coming round the end of the wall. I drop down from where I’m hanging and go to meet him. ‘How’d you do that?’ I ask, impressed. ‘I went round,’ he says. ‘I ran. It is higher back here, isn’t it?’ After a second or two, I start to see what he means. If you go out of the front gate of his house, and followed the wall to your left, and went through the fence that runs beside the road, and kept following the wall round the next corner – you would be here, at the back. The idea is amazing. In another couple of seconds, I see that I can do the same from my front gate, turning right instead of left. It has never occurred to me before that this might be possible. You get to the rocks and the lizards by going up the tree and over, that is how it has always worked. I have never imagined— ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。(この英文は子供時代の回想シーンだと思われます) I think it through, and am pleased to realize he has gone to get a ladder, when there is a scuffling sound off to my left, on my side of the wall.について、when there is a scuffling sound off to my leftの個所がわかりません。私の左側に動き回る音が遠くにあるとき?? I look round, and to my surprise see Jamie coming round the end of the wall.が、よくわからないのですが、主人公が驚いた理由は、Jamieが壁の端のあたりにやってきたことなのでしょうか?どういう事で驚いたのでしょうか??梯子を持って来なかったことに驚いた、ということですか? ‘I went round,’ he says. ‘I ran. It is higher back here, isn’t it?’のItは何を指しているのでしょうか? The idea is amazing.とあるのですが、The ideaとは今主人公がいる地点にどうやって辿りつくか、というアイディアだと思うのですが、読んでみたところ、あまり状況のイメージが掴めない感じです。つまりは、主人公自身ももっと簡単に今の場所に辿りつける方法があった(木を使わずに辿りつく方法)、ということがわかった、というようなことなのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。2

‘Maybe he’s a vampire,’ Jamie says. ‘Yeah.’ I think for a moment, and something else comes back to me. ‘I think he used to be that other thing,’ I say vaguely. The word hits. ‘Politician.’ Jamie says, ‘I’ve got a whole story about vampires from a haunted tomb in one of these.’ He indicates the several stacks of comics that are lined up against the wall of his room. (前回の終わりの部分です) Jamie’s bedroom isn’t anything like mine. My room is quite small, with a ceiling that slopes down from the door to the window. Under my window is the gentle pitch of the kitchen roof; if I crane my head far out to the left, I can see the end of my mother’s verandah roof at the back of the house, where the iron stove-pipe of the little fat stove comes up through it. My bed is against one wall, and a wardrobe stands by the door that leads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’s. I have a little cupboard of toys, too, and some big picture-books which I still love and look at, though I know my father doesn’t like them. Apart from these things, my room is quite bare: the walls are pale, the ceiling white, the surround of the window dark wood. The best thing is the view: right along the row of our neighbours’ houses and up the valley. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は幼い頃の回想シーンです。 Under my window is the gentle pitch of the kitchen roofの中の、 the gentle pitchとはどういうものなのでしょうか? My bed is against one wall, and a wardrobe stands by the door that leads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’s.について、and a wardrobe stands~の意味なのですが、洋服ダンスはドアのそばにある、、、次のleads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’sのところが意味がとれません。ときどきLenaのベッドルームになる後ろを通って??? right along the row of our neighbours’ houses and up the valley.の出だしのrightは右側という意味ですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Once I see one with two tails, lighter than the rest of its body; it lives somewhere near where the wall adjoins Signora Cassi’s house, and I wonder if it has been caught in the kitchen by Lucia.(前回の終わりの部分です) I go along to the end of the wall, and laboriously find footholds and handholds to help me clamber up. I peer over the top, and for a moment I don’t see him, he is standing so still. The garden here is, again, larger than ours, and sunnier as well. There aren’t so many trees, and some angle of the valley side seems to have positioned the lawn so that it catches the evening sun straight-on. The doors and windows of the house, all around the ground floor, are open, and I can hear voices – a man and a woman – inside. There are some of the boxes that came from the van, standing on the edge of the grass, waiting to be taken in. I let my attention wander around the garden, and it is now that I see him: in the shade of a tall purple bush in the border, standing with his hands in his pockets, looking upwards towards where the valley crest reaches the skyline. For a second I think he is looking right at me, but then I see the faraway expression on his face, and know he hasn’t seen me. We stay like that for some time more, he staring at the horizon, I staring at him, like children frozen in a fairytale. Then my foot slips a little, and the sound reaches him, and he shivers and sees me. He looks at once wary, but almost as quickly the wariness vanishes and is replaced by curiosity. He glances towards the house, once, then runs across the garden until he’s standing below me. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。(この英文は子供時代の回想シーンだと思われます) There are some of the boxes that came from the van, standing on the edge of the grass, waiting to be taken in.のbe taken inは、家の中に持ち込まれる、という意味ですか? Then my foot slips a little, and the sound reaches him, and he shivers and sees me.の中でhe shivers and sees me.とありますが、彼が震えたのは(he shivers)、我に返った、みたいな感じですか? He looks at once wary, but almost as quickly the wariness vanishes and is replaced by curiosity.の中のas quicklyのところは、as quickly as の意味ですか?できるだけ早く? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください

There is a second door through to the bathroom, and from this comes the sound of water hissing on tiles, sometimes constant, sometimes shifting its pitch. I realize after listening for a while that the changes must be Anna moving about under the flow, blocking it more and less from moment to moment with her body.(前回の終わりの部分です) The moment I realize this, I am imagining seeing her: the water on her skin, her head back, hair drenched and clinging, the slenderness of her neck and body. It is as if the wall has dissolved for a second and I can see through it. I feel something clench in the pit of my stomach at the sight of her, and then I force the image from my mind. I actually make myself shake my head and smile ruefully, as if someone might be watching me and checking my reaction – is he her lover or her friend? – and I have to be seen to do the right thing. But it is difficult to get her out of my head. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。文中のherは、Alexの幼なじみの女性(Anna)を指しています。 I feel something clench in the pit of my stomach at the sight of her, and then I force the image from my mind.の I force the image from my mind.についてですが、the imageはsomething clench in the pit of my stomach (何かがみぞおちで固まる、というイメージ)で、forceはそのイメージを心から出す、ということですか? 最後の方の、I have to be seen to do the right thing.私は正しい事をすることを見られる必要がある、ですか?もう少し意訳するとどうなるでしょうか? But it is difficult to get her out of my head.私の頭の外へ彼女を得ることは難しい?彼女を頭の中から取り出せない、みたいな感じですか?(彼女のことを考えたくないのに、考えてしまう、みたいな感じでしょうか?) 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Chapter Four In bare feet I light some of the candles I have placed around the room, and the cheerful light they cast drives away some of the shadows that have been tugging at me. I don’t feel ready to sleep yet. I want to think of something to push the uneasy memory of these fragments away, to give me something else to concentrate on as I lie in bed. Some part of me is aware that the old childhood fear could so easily come back to life now; the fear that I will wake, in a moment, to find myself old and dying, my life already spent. I can’t face that again. So I take one of the candles and wander the house with it, eventually finding my way upstairs. Once I am in my old bedroom, it seems the most obvious thing in the world to open the window there, and to sit on the sill, looking up the valley at night. (前回の終わりの部分です) I know this view to the last detail. The darkness obscures many of the small changes that are doubtless there, and would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylight. Now, though, I am only conscious that the branches of the tree that cut off the left-hand part of the horizon are longer by some small amount, and that the sound of the World Service radio is missing from downstairs. Above, the stars are unchanged; I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth. There are a few clouds low on the line of hills, but leaning out of the window I can see that the sky overhead is clear. *************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに帰ってきています。 The darkness obscures many of the small changes that are doubtless there, and would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylight.の、would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylightがよくわかりません。 英文の構造はどうなっているのでしょうか? wereが動詞、itは?? Now, though, I am only conscious that the branches of the tree that cut off the left-hand part of the horizon are longer by some small amount,について、ここは木の枝がどうなっている状態なのでしょうか? I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth.ここの a small smile of acknowledgement~の意味するところは、オリオン座を見つけたのでちょっと微笑んだ、という感じなのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。