Alexの回想シーン:幼い頃の思い出と出会い

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 主人公Alexは、イタリアに戻ってきて展示会の準備をしている。
  • JamieはAlexとは異なる姿形をしており、彼が好きになる。
  • 物事の意味や理解を作り上げる過程で、JamieはAlexを助ける。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

わからない個所を教えてください。

I almost laugh at the convolutions of it all. Alone in a room, trying not to laugh, not allowing myself to think of the girl showering just behind the wall, filling my head with her casually piled suitcases instead. Mad Alex, Jamie would have said.(前回の終わりの部分です) I like him the moment I see him: the way he is staring at the distance, the way he is alone in the garden, the way his face seems to be looking out and at the same time lost in something inside him. Physically we are quite different. Jamie is a year older than me, and taller. While I have my father’s straight fair hair, Jamie’s hair is dark and a little wavy. He is shaped differently, too: where I am rather stocky, he is slender, and he is never as clumsy or awkward as I am. Even before he sees me, and speaks to me, I like him. In my childhood, all is confusion for a time, and then out of this confusion I begin to make sense of my world. Jamie helps me with this, sees things I don’t, asks the questions I can’t, until between us – eventually – we manage to piece together the whole picture. The focus shifts and sharpens and sense and understanding happen. But most of that is still to come. I am six, and Jamie’s parents move into the house at the other end of the row from ours. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。(この英文は回想シーンだと思われます) the way he is staring at the distance, the way he is alone in the garden, the way his face seems to be looking out and at the same time lost in something inside him.の個所は、the way~のフレーズが続きますが、 the way he is staring at the distance(彼が彼方を凝視している仕方?)とthe way his face seems to be looking out のbe looking out の部分が進行形になっているのはなぜなのでしょうか? the way his face seems to be looking out and at the same time lost in something inside him・・・・・彼の顔が外を見ているようで、同時に何か彼の内に夢中になっているように見える仕方(様子)? lostは形容詞ですか? he is never as clumsy or awkward as I amの、clumsyとawkwardの違いがよくわかりません。どちらも不器用な、というような意味だと思うのですが、どういう違いがあって二つの単語をわざわざ使っているのでしょうか? Even before he sees me, and speaks to me, I like him. 彼が私に会う前、そして私に会う前でさえ、私は彼が好きです?ちょっと意味が掴みにくいのですが、どういう事を言っているのでしょうか? Jamie helps me with this, sees things I don’t, asks the questions I can’t, until between us – eventually – we manage to piece together the whole picture. のuntil between us はどう訳すのでしょうか?私たちの間になるまで?? we manage to piece together the whole picture.私たちはなんとかすべての絵をつなぎ合わせます?とは、どうことを言っているのでしょうか?なんとなく、見た世界のものを理解していく、というような感じでしょうか? But most of that is still to come.について、still to comeで、まだ来ない、という意味になるのでしょうか?否定形になる? 教えてください。お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数5

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

> the way he is staring at the distance, the way he is alone in the garden, the way his face seems to be looking out and at the same time lost in something inside him.の個所は、the way~のフレーズが続きますが、the way he is staring at the distance(彼が彼方を凝視している仕方?)とthe way his face seems to be looking out のbe looking out の部分が進行形になっているのはなぜなのでしょうか?  「遠くを見つめている時の、一人で庭にいる時の、また、外部を見ているのに同時に自分の内部を見ているかのごとき表情をしている時の (彼を見ると、私は彼を好ましく感じてしまう)」 という文の一部。進行形になっているのは、継続動作だから。瞬間的な動作ではないから。「遠くを見ている」 という動作はある程度の時間の持続を伴う動作です。 > the way his face seems to be looking out and at the same time lost in something inside him・・・・・彼の顔が外を見ているようで、同時に何か彼の内に夢中になっているように見える仕方(様子)? lostは形容詞ですか?  look out something と look inside someone の対比。前者は視覚のことで、後者は内省のこと。at the same time (who is) lost in something inside him の (who is = he is) という関係代名詞の部分が隠れています。 > he is never as clumsy or awkward as I amの、clumsyとawkwardの違いがよくわかりません。どちらも不器用な、というような意味だと思うのですが、どういう違いがあって二つの単語をわざわざ使っているのでしょうか?  awkward だけでも複数のニュアンスがあって、必ずしも日本語1語に対応しているわけではありません。「不器用な」 というニュアンスだけに限定した意味で述べているのだと誤解されないように、2つの語を併記したのかもしれません。器用ともいえるし、そつがないともいえるし、落ち着きがあるともいえるし、ものおじいない雰囲気があるともいえるし、へまをやらかすようなタイプではないともいえるし、2語を組み合わせることでそういうのを包含していることを表しているともいえるし、1語だけでは素っ気ない感じを与えるので2語にしたともいえるし、文のリズムを整えるために2語にしたとも考えられます。また、天気がいいというのを表すのに bright and clear などと表現することがあるように、形容詞を2つつなげる表現は英語では一般的で、その方がよりはっきりするし印象的にもなります。 > Even before he sees me, and speaks to me, I like him. 彼が私に会う前、そして私に会う前でさえ、私は彼が好きです?ちょっと意味が掴みにくいのですが、どういう事を言っているのでしょうか?  Even という語があることに注目。一種の仮定的な表現をしています。「まるで、お互いに顔を合わせ、言葉をかわす以前から彼のことを気に入っていたみたいだ」 ということです。 > Jamie helps me with this, sees things I don’t, asks the questions I can’t, until between us – eventually – we manage to piece together the whole picture. のuntil between us はどう訳すのでしょうか?私たちの間になるまで??  世界 (= 外界、感覚でとらえられる領域) を把握する仕方について、ジェイミーと出会ったことが助けになったのだということを述べています。だって、語り手はたしか画家でしょ? until は 「やがて (ある状態に) なる」 という時間的な経過を表します。between us は -- の後ろの文と関連しています。we manage to ... と主語が we になっているので between us と表現したのだし、ジェイミーと自分との間の特別なものだということを強調するために、それだけを取り出して前に出したのです。picture という語を用いているのは、語り手が画家であるということを意識して用いたとも考えられますが、おおまかにいえば 「状況」 といったようなニュアンスを帯びた語です。「ジェイミーは私に違う見方をすることや、(世界に向って) 異なる問いかけをすることを教えてくれたので、やがて、やっとこさで、ばらばらの要素を1つにまとめて1枚の絵にするように、未熟なレベルから何とか脱出した」 というようなことで、二人の間の相互作用、異なる者同士の間の関係が世界に対する認識を広げたということを述べています。それが画家として成長させた、ということも含まれているのかも。 > we manage to piece together the whole picture.私たちはなんとかすべての絵をつなぎ合わせます?とは、どうことを言っているのでしょうか?なんとなく、見た世界のものを理解していく、というような感じでしょうか?  そういう感じでしょう。画家は外界 (= 世界) と自分とのかかわりを絵という形で表現する者ですから。 > But most of that is still to come.について、still to comeで、まだ来ない、という意味になるのでしょうか?否定形になる?  not のような語がないので 「否定形」 といえるかどうかは疑問ですが、「まだ生じていない」 ということと 「やがて生じる」 ということの2つの意味を still という語が帯びています。「けれども、それらのことが起こるのは、(ある時点から) 先のことである」 といったような文。すぐ次に I am six. とあります。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

大変詳しく解説していただいてありがとうございました! 進行形になっているのは、継続動作を表現しているという事になるほどと思いました。 clumsyとawkwardを2つ並べた意図について様々な読み方ができる事がわかりました。 Evenのところは訳をいただいて、自分の捉え方が違っていた事がわかりました。 Jamie helps me~のところもわかりやすい解説をいただいて助かりました。文の構造も掴めました。 still の意味合いもとれました。 たくさんの質問になってしまいましたが、詳細な回答をいただいて本当にありがとうございます!

その他の回答 (1)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9705/12071)
回答No.2

>the way he is staring at the distance(彼が彼方を凝視している仕方?)とthe way his face seems to be looking out のbe looking out の部分が進行形になっているのはなぜなのでしょうか? ⇒「完了・不完了のアスペクトの移行形態」(=「事行」)は、大きく分けて2つあります。行為の起動・継続・終結と進むものと、行為の継続の部分がなく、起動即終結となるものです。前者の形をとる動詞を「継続動詞」、後者のそれを「瞬時動詞」といいます。そこで、lookは「瞬時動詞」で、「見る」という行為は一瞬にして終わります。live「生きる」などと比べてみれば、その違いは明快に分かります。ということで、この「瞬時動詞」を使って、なおかつ「一定の継続を表現したいとき」は進行形にするわけです。これが答えです。 >the way his face seems to be looking out and at the same time lost in something inside him・・・・・彼の顔が外を見ているようで、同時に何か彼の内に夢中になっているように見える仕方(様子)? lostは形容詞ですか? ⇒いいえ、過去分詞です。and at the same time (he is) lost in something inside himと補って考えれば分かりやすいと思います。もしandがなければ、at the same time (being) lost in something inside himと補うことになるでしょう。 >he is never as clumsy or awkward as I amの、clumsyとawkwardの違いがよくわかりません。どちらも不器用な、というような意味だと思うのですが、どういう違いがあって二つの単語をわざわざ使っているのでしょうか? ⇒このように、似た意味の語を重ねて用いる表現をpleonasm「冗語法」といい、「意味の補完、強調、遊び、単なる口調」などを表します(この場合は「不器用さを強調」するためと思います)。「修辞的技法」の1つとして割に広く用いられます:be glad and happy, live a severe life, say a false lie, hear with one's earsなど。 >Even before he sees me, and speaks to me, I like him. 彼が私に会う前、そして私に会う前でさえ、私は彼が好きです?ちょっと意味が掴みにくいのですが、どういう事を言っているのでしょうか? ⇒Even (if) before he sees me...と補って考えれば分かりやすいと思います。(ただし訳す際、その仮定的な部分「でさえ」は入れない方がスマートですね)。「彼が私を見かけて、私に話しかける前から、私は彼が好きでした(好きだったし、今も好きです)。」 >Jamie helps me with this, sees things I don’t, asks the questions I can’t, until between us – eventually – we manage to piece together the whole picture. のuntil between us はどう訳すのでしょうか?私たちの間になるまで?? ⇒「私たち2人の間で、2人で一緒に、2人で協力して」といったニュアンスだと思います。 >we manage to piece together the whole picture.私たちはなんとかすべての絵をつなぎ合わせます?とは、どうことを言っているのでしょうか?なんとなく、見た世界のものを理解していく、というような感じでしょうか? ⇒「私たちは何とかして全体像を組み立てて理解できました」。この「全体像」というのは、少し前に出てくるmy world「私の世界」を指しているものと思われます(「一般的な世界」のことではありません)。 >But most of that is still to come.について、still to comeで、まだ来ない、という意味になるのでしょうか?否定形になる? ⇒be to + infinitiveは、「予定・義務・可能」、およびこれらの「混合した」意味を表します。この場合は後者で、「来るはずだった・来るべきだったのに、まだ来ていない」という意味です。確かに否定的な意味ですが、否定形にはしません。(日本語の「未然形」というのに相当する面があるかもしれませんね。)

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

回答を締め切った後に回答をいただいたようで、気づかずにすみませんでした。 大変詳しく、文法的な部分についてもわかりやすく解説していただいてありがとうございました! lostは過去分詞だったのですね。 stillのところは、よく見てみたらbe to不定詞だという事に気付きました。 本当にありがとうございました!

関連するQ&A

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Once I see one with two tails, lighter than the rest of its body; it lives somewhere near where the wall adjoins Signora Cassi’s house, and I wonder if it has been caught in the kitchen by Lucia.(前回の終わりの部分です) I go along to the end of the wall, and laboriously find footholds and handholds to help me clamber up. I peer over the top, and for a moment I don’t see him, he is standing so still. The garden here is, again, larger than ours, and sunnier as well. There aren’t so many trees, and some angle of the valley side seems to have positioned the lawn so that it catches the evening sun straight-on. The doors and windows of the house, all around the ground floor, are open, and I can hear voices – a man and a woman – inside. There are some of the boxes that came from the van, standing on the edge of the grass, waiting to be taken in. I let my attention wander around the garden, and it is now that I see him: in the shade of a tall purple bush in the border, standing with his hands in his pockets, looking upwards towards where the valley crest reaches the skyline. For a second I think he is looking right at me, but then I see the faraway expression on his face, and know he hasn’t seen me. We stay like that for some time more, he staring at the horizon, I staring at him, like children frozen in a fairytale. Then my foot slips a little, and the sound reaches him, and he shivers and sees me. He looks at once wary, but almost as quickly the wariness vanishes and is replaced by curiosity. He glances towards the house, once, then runs across the garden until he’s standing below me. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。(この英文は子供時代の回想シーンだと思われます) There are some of the boxes that came from the van, standing on the edge of the grass, waiting to be taken in.のbe taken inは、家の中に持ち込まれる、という意味ですか? Then my foot slips a little, and the sound reaches him, and he shivers and sees me.の中でhe shivers and sees me.とありますが、彼が震えたのは(he shivers)、我に返った、みたいな感じですか? He looks at once wary, but almost as quickly the wariness vanishes and is replaced by curiosity.の中のas quicklyのところは、as quickly as の意味ですか?できるだけ早く? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

‘You’re weird,’ he says eventually. I blink. But then he says, ‘I like you, though.’ And my heart skips once, and feels as if it is grinning inside me. ‘I like you too,’ I say. ‘And wouldn’t it be great if you could go anywhere, just in your head – the moon or Mars, or different planets?’ I have never thought about this either. ‘I suppose,’ I say. (前回の終わりの部分です) ‘I’d love that.’ He looks entranced with the possibility. ‘Do you like comics?’ ‘I don’t know.’ ‘I’ve got some great ones. They’re in English, though,’ he adds, doubtfully. ‘But I speak English,’ I say, surprised. It takes me a moment to remember that Jamie is a foreigner, like me. Astonished, I switch from the way we have been talking – the way I talk with Lena – to the other way I talk, when I’m with my parents. ‘Can you speak like this?’ Jamie looks just as astonished, but he answers the same way. ‘Yes. My father’s English.’ ‘Mine too,’ I say. ‘And Mummy,’ I add, remembering. Suddenly he begins to laugh – a little at first that quickly grows into a great uncontrollable peal that rings against the side of the valley. He points at me, helplessly, and then at himself, and I understand immediately what he means – We’re such idiots! – and the funny side of it strikes me, too. I can’t help it; I join him, laughing harder and harder until my sides hurt and there are tears in my eyes. I can’t think of a time when I’ve laughed harder. At last we quieten down. Occasionally we look sideways at each other and giggles overwhelm us again; but in the end we are too tired to laugh any more. We sit side by side with big, idiot grins on our faces. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は回想シーンで幼なじみのJamieと話しているところです。 二人のやり取りが正確にはよくわからないのですが、 I’ve got some great ones. They’re in English, though,’ he adds, doubtfully.のdoubtfullyとはどういう意味合いなのでしょうか?疑わしげに?自分が持っているいくつかの漫画はすばらしいけれど、英語で書かれている。の後にdoubtfullyが付くのがよくわかりません。 I switch from the way we have been talking – the way I talk with Lena – to the other way I talk, when I’m with my parents.というのは、AlexがJamieと今まで話していた方法を変えた、ということで、Lenaや、両親と話していた英語でJamieに話した、ということですか? We’re such idiots! とありますが、Alexが、英語が話せるJamieに今までイタリア語で話していたことがおかしいのでしょうか?? I join him, laughing harder and harder until my sides hurt and there are tears in my eyes.とありますが、until my sides hurt and there are tears in my eyes.というのは、Alexのどんな心境を表しているのでしょうか?何に傷ついているのかがわかりません。(あまりにもばかげた事を言ってしまったことですか?・・・英語が話せるの?というような) 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。2

On one of the bookshelves is a small black case, lined with worn red velvet, in which Jamie keeps his clarinet. He’s played it to me several times. Once school starts, his parents are going to find him a new teacher here, and he’ll learn new pieces, and play those to me as well. (前回の終わりの部分です) ‘Here. This is the Silver Surfer. You’ll like him. And here’s Spiderman. You know him, of course.’  I nod, unable to confess that I don’t – that I have never before seen the red and blue masked figure that leaps towards me from the page Jamie is holding open. He tells me how Spiderman was normal until he was bitten by a radioactive spider; he points things out, tells me who each of the characters is, passes me other comics to compare. I sit, entranced, while the bright colours and vivid panels of the cartoons accumulate around me, until I am like an island in a pool of brilliantly hued pages. ‘You can borrow them, if you like,’ he says. ‘Take them home to read.’ ‘Thanks!’ I say, but then I realize something. ‘What is it?’ he asks. ‘I – nothing.’ ‘Tell me.’ ‘I can’t read the words,’ I say. ‘I can help you with the long ones,’ he says. ‘No – I mean, I—’  ‘Can’t you read at all?’ he asks. He sounds shocked, but I know he won’t laugh at me or be unkind; he is just amazed that I can live without this essential ability. In a flash of understanding, I look around me at the room and see why he might think this. ‘My dad's teaching me,' I say. ‘Oh,' he says. For a moment he seems at a loss. Then he says, ‘I suppose what you do – you know, the going places in your head – that's like reading stories, isn't it?' ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は幼い頃の回想シーンです。 I nod, unable to confess that I don’t – that I have never before seen the red and blue masked figure that leaps towards me from the page Jamie is holding open.の中の、leaps towards me from the pageというのはどういう意味ですか?ページから私の方へ飛んで行く?? I sit, entranced, while the bright colours and vivid panels of the cartoons accumulate around me, until I am like an island in a pool of brilliantly hued pages. のuntil I am like an island~は「僕が鮮やかな色のページの中のプールの中にある島のようになるまで」ですか??意味がよくわかりません。 In a flash of understanding, I look around me at the room and see why he might think this. の最後のthisは何を指しているのでしょうか?seeは”想像する”という意味ですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

‘Can’t you read at all?’ he asks. He sounds shocked, but I know he won’t laugh at me or be unkind; he is just amazed that I can live without this essential ability. In a flash of understanding, I look around me at the room and see why he might think this. ‘My dad's teaching me,' I say. ‘Oh,' he says. For a moment he seems at a loss. Then he says, ‘I suppose what you do – you know, the going places in your head – that's like reading stories, isn't it?' (前回の終わりの部分です) I know what he means. This is the second time he’s called it something like that: going places in your head. Again, I can feel heavy structures grating and moving laboriously in me, as I try to fit the words into place. Very, very tentatively, I begin to see that the difference between going somewhere and going somewhere in your head might be what Jamie has been struggling with. In your head is the key. And I know in that moment that Jamie has already understood me better than my parents and everyone else ever have. I meet his eyes with a surge of gratitude pushing up inside me. I want to say something, but I can’t imagine what. (going places in your head.の部分は斜体になっています) ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は幼い頃の回想シーンです。 Again, I can feel heavy structures grating and moving laboriously in me, as I try to fit the words into place.の、 grating and moving は現在分詞で、軋んで動きながら、ですか?全体的に意味が良く取れません。 Very, very tentatively, I begin to see that the difference between going somewhere and going somewhere in your head might be what Jamie has been struggling with.の、what Jamie has been struggling withの部分の訳は、Jamieが取り組んで来たこと、ですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。1

After a moment’s hesitation, he sits down on the flat rock beside me. ‘What were you thinking about?’ Now it is my turn to hesitate. I have become used to what to say to my parents, but perhaps this is not the right thing to say to Jamie. I look at him, and his brown eyes are interested, not suspicious. I say, ‘I was thinking with Lena.’ ‘Who’s Lena?’ (前回の終わりの部分です) ‘She’s our cook. And she looks after me, sometimes.’ He nods, and I am encouraged by the way he accepts what I’ve told him. ‘We’re going for a walk up that way, and we see a bridge, and a chapel where a man used to live. A hermit,’ I add. ‘He went away, though, into the hills.’ Jamie is frowning. ‘When?’ ‘When what?’ ‘When do you go on the walk?’ I am thrown into confusion. I don’t want Jamie to know that I used to be a liar, but the conversation is becoming like the ones I used to have – back then, when I was a liar – with my parents. I don’t know what to say. But Jamie is still looking at me, his face open and waiting for me to say something, and in the end I just say it. ‘Just now.’ ‘This morning?’ ‘Just now. Before you came.’ Suddenly I want him very much to understand. ‘That was what I was doing. Staring into space.’ ‘You mean you were imagining it?’ ‘No …’ ‘What, then?’ It is the tone of his voice that makes the difference: not impatient, just curious. I try to find the words. ‘You know when – you go somewhere—’ He nods. ‘And then you come back.’ Now he is looking puzzled. ‘What, like a walk?’ ‘Yes,’ I say. ‘Like that. That’s what I was doing.’ He is quiet for a time, then he says, ‘So you’d gone with Lena and then you came back and then you came here and I found you?’ *That’s what I was doing.のThatは斜体になっています。 ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は回想シーンだと思われます。 ‘That was what I was doing. Staring into space.’ ‘You mean you were imagining it?’ ‘No …’ ここのやり取りの意味が掴めません。 「それは僕がしていたことだったんだ。空間を見つめていたんだ」 「それを想像していたっていうこと?」 「違うよ」 ?? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

We stare at our glasses until they are warm in the sun, and not so nice to drink, but we can’t find out the answer; in the end, the little beads of liquid vanish as mysteriously as they arrive.(前回の終わりの部分です) He wants to know why the rock in the sides of the valley is arranged in layers like a stack of sandwiches, even where the farmers haven’t cut terraces. Lena has told me about terraces – that they are to hold the rain for the olive trees – and shows me how water runs down the sloping street next to the church but gathers in puddles on the church steps, an idea I grasp quickly. But she has never told me about the hidden sandwiching of the rocks, and when I ask her, she only shrugs and says that is just the way they’re made. Jamie wants to know everything about Altesa. He quizzes me on everything he notices or can think of: about things, and places and people. I tell him all about me, and what I like and don’t like. I tell him about my family – things which I don’t really know myself but have in turn been told – like when we used to live in a different place. London. My parents still talk about it sometimes. He makes me tell him about the people – the figures he’s seen around town, the other children, our neighbours. I pour out all of Lena’s patchwork history of the town while he sits, attentive, soaking it up again. And I tell him the things Lena doesn’t know, or doesn’t like to mention: like Lucia being a witch. Like Signor Ferucci. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は幼い頃の回想シーンです。 He wants to know why the rock in the sides of the valley is arranged in layers like a stack of sandwiches,~のlike a stack of sandwichesの個所がいまいちイメージできません。どんな感じなのでしょうか? Lena has told me about terraces – that they are to hold the rain for the olive trees – and shows me how water runs down the sloping street next to the church but gathers in puddles on the church steps, an idea I grasp quickly. の最後にan idea I grasp quickly(私が素早く掴んだ考え)とありますが、これはどういうことを言っているのでしょうか?英文の最後にこの言葉がついているのがわかりません。 I tell him about my family – things which I don’t really know myself but have in turn been toldの中のin turnとは”順番に”という意味ですか?順番に話されたもの? I pour out all of Lena’s patchwork history of the town while he sits, attentive, soaking it up again.の中にあるLena’s patchwork history of the townとは、Lenaのパッチワークの町の歴史、ですか?どういう意味でしょうか? 最後のAnd I tell him the things Lena doesn’t know, or doesn’t like to mention: like Lucia being a witch. Like Signor Ferucci. は、Lenaが 魔女であるLuciaの事やSignor Ferucciの事は知らないか、話したくない、ということですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。2

Now he is looking puzzled. ‘What, like a walk?’ ‘Yes,’ I say. ‘Like that. That’s what I was doing.’ He is quiet for a time, then he says, ‘So you’d gone with Lena and then you came back and then you came here and I found you?’ (前回の終わりの部分です) ‘No,’ I say, surprised he doesn’t understand. ‘I was with Lena and then you called me and I came back. I heard you say my name.’ ‘But I saw you. You were right here.’ He isn’t laughing at me and he isn’t angry with me. His voice is steady and serious, as though he has found something that must be examined until it makes sense. He doesn’t sound like he cares if it takes him all day. ‘I was with Lena too,’ I say. ‘You mean like a dream?’ ‘No.’ Dreams are all fuzzy, blurred, strange; they aren’t real. ‘When you go somewhere. Like up the valley with Lena.’ ‘You make it up?’ ‘No. Like now, like I’m here with you.’ ‘I don’t understand,’ he says. I can’t think of anything else to say to make it clearer. He sits there, still frowning slightly, thinking it all through. Then he says, ‘Can you go anywhere?’ ‘Sure.’ ‘Like the moon?’ He sounds suddenly excited. ‘Oh. No. Just – places in the valley. With Lena, or the town, or the garden.’ ‘Oh.’ Another pause. ‘Anywhere in the valley, though?’ ‘Just places I know,’ I say, and at that there is a sudden sense that something heavy has shifted – just a little – in my head, moving reluctantly, trying to accommodate what I’ve just said. The questions Jamie is asking aren’t ones anyone’s ever asked me before. I haven’t asked them to myself either. They feel like they’re prodding at me, searching, trying to find me out. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は回想シーンで幼なじみのJamieと話しているところです。 He doesn’t sound like he cares if it takes him all day. の意味がよく掴めません。 itはsomething that must be examinedですか?it takes him all dayとはどういうことなのでしょうか? ‘When you go somewhere. Like up the valley with Lena.’ ‘You make it up?’ ‘No. Like now, like I’m here with you.’ のやり取りがわかりません。 「君がどこかに行く時、リーナと一緒に谷を登るように」 ・・・・・・? ・・・・・・? likeは”~のように”、の意味ですか? ‘Like the moon?’ He sounds suddenly excited. ‘Oh. No. Just – places in the valley. With Lena, or the town, or the garden.’ ‘Oh.’ Another pause. ‘Anywhere in the valley, though?’ のやり取りについてもよくわからなくなってしまったのですが、 ‘Oh. No. Just – places in the valley. With Lena, or the town, or the garden.’は、Jamieが月にも行くことができる?と聞いたのに対して、Alexが谷にある場所だよ。町や庭。と答えているのでしょうか? 最後のThey feel like they’re prodding at me, searching, trying to find me out. の言っている意味がよく理解できません。trying to find me out私を見い出そうと試みる、とはどういうことなのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I can feel my mind floating through the questions, drifting. There is almost a physical sensation. I remember this. I remember it from very, very long ago, and I fight it, pushing it back from me.(前回の終わりの部分です) Jamie says, ‘Oh, Alex is no good with things like that. If you leave him alone he goes dreamy. He’s probably been sitting doing that half the time.’ He grins, and his eyes sparkle for a moment in the afternoon sun. ‘He’s mad,’ he adds. There is a broken pane of glass in the French windows next to me, cracked where a stone has struck it. I stare at it: the central star-like contact point, the silver-edged cracks radiating from it like ribbons of metal. I force Jamie’s voice from my head and concentrate instead on this broken pane, staring at it with a kind of foolish fixation, as though it will keep from me these ghost voices. The little fused nebula of dense, almost white craquelure around the hole – a starburst, a sudden splash in flat-calm water, like gossamer— Anna’s hands reaching above me, her neatness, her precision, and a deep blue that is almost black – set with stars— ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。JamieとAnnaはAlexの幼な友達です。(If you leave him alone he goes dreamy. He’s probably been sitting doing that half the time.の中のheは誰を指しているのかはよくわかりません) ************************************* There is a broken pane of glass in the French windows next to me,の意味を取ると、「私の隣にフランス窓があって、壊れた一枚のガラスがあります」みたいな感じですか?next to me=私の隣に? I force Jamie’s voice from my head and concentrate instead on this broken pane, staring at it with a kind of foolish fixation, as though it will keep from me these ghost voices.のinsteadのところがわからないのですが、Jamieの声を私の頭から追いやるよりも、この壊れた窓ガラスに集中する、ですか? Anna’s hands reaching above me, her neatness, her precision, and a deep blue that is almost black – set with stars— のher precisionは「彼女の精密さ」ですか?意味的にどういうことを言っているのかちょっとピンとこないのですが。 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。1

My parents still talk about it sometimes. He makes me tell him about the people – the figures he’s seen around town, the other children, our neighbours. I pour out all of Lena’s patchwork history of the town while he sits, attentive, soaking it up again. And I tell him the things Lena doesn’t know, or doesn’t like to mention: like Lucia being a witch. Like Signor Ferucci. (前回の終わりの部分です) ‘Up there on the side of the valley,’ I say, pointing out the window. ‘Well, you can’t really see it from here. But there’s a big white house, and it’s got a wall all round, high up, and gates. For miles. And he lives in there and he never comes out. Well, hardly ever.’ ‘Have you ever seen him?’ Jamie asks. ‘Well, sometimes. In town. He’s got a beard and he looks a bit scary. He’s really tall.’ ‘Is it a mad beard – like, all wild?’ ‘No,’ I say, slightly surprised. ‘No, it’s neat.’ ‘Oh.’ ‘Nobody knows what he does in there,’ I add. ‘Lena says—’ There’s a pause. I concentrate very hard on not going away from Jamie. He doesn’t always mind it when I do, but sometimes I sense that he is a little worried. Lena’s word comes drifting back to me. ‘Lena says he’s – recluse,’ I say. ‘What’s that?’ ‘Someone – someone who doesn’t like to come out.’ ‘Why?’ ‘I don’t know.’ ‘Maybe he’s a vampire,’ Jamie says. ‘Yeah.’ I think for a moment, and something else comes back to me. ‘I think he used to be that other thing,’ I say vaguely. The word hits. ‘Politician.’ Jamie says, ‘I’ve got a whole story about vampires from a haunted tomb in one of these.’ He indicates the several stacks of comics that are lined up against the wall of his room. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は幼い頃の回想シーンです。 But there’s a big white house, and it’s got a wall all round, high up, and gates. For miles.のFor milesはどうやって訳すのでしょうか? I concentrate very hard on not going away from Jamie. を訳すと、僕は Jamieから去らないことに非常に一生懸命に集中した、ですか?これはどういう意味なのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

He looks at once wary, but almost as quickly the wariness vanishes and is replaced by curiosity. He glances towards the house, once, then runs across the garden until he’s standing below me. (前回の終わりの部分です) ‘Hello,’ he says. ‘Who’re you?’ A quick flood of warmth comes with the words: he speaks like Lena – Italian. ‘I’m Alex,’ I say. ‘Hello.’ ‘I’m Jamie. Pleased to meet you,’ he adds, formally. Then he says, ‘How did you get up there?’ ‘It’s not as high this side.’ ‘What’s back there?’ ‘Rocks,’ I say. ‘And lizards.’ ‘Really?’ I can see him looking at the wall, which must be almost hidden from him by bushes and flowers, looking for a way up. ‘My garden has a tree,’ I explain. ‘You climb that, then you climb the wall.’ ‘There’s nothing here,’ he says, sounding frustrated. Then, ‘Wait – I know.’ He looks up at me again. ‘You’ll stay there?’ ‘OK.’ ‘Won’t be long.’ He turns and runs away across the lawn to the side of the house, and disappears from sight there. I cling on where I am, wondering what he is going to do. It is like a puzzle, like one of the ones my father gives me to stimulate my mind. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。(この英文は子供時代の回想シーンだと思われます) A quick flood of warmth comes with the wordsとはどういう感じなのでしょうか?言葉と一緒に暖かさのすばやい洪水がやってくる?? ‘How did you get up there?' ‘It's not as high this side.' ‘What's back there?' ‘Rocks,' I say. ‘And lizards.' のやりとりがちょっとよく理解できているかわからないのですが。 「きみはどうやってそこへ登って来たの?」 「こっちの側のように高くないんだ」 「そこの後ろに何があるの?」 「岩だよ」僕は言う。「それからとかげ」 こんな感じですか?? It is like a puzzle, like one of the ones my father gives me to stimulate my mind.とあるのですが、Itが指すものは何になるのでしょうか?I cling on where I am, wondering what he is going to do.(自分がいる場所にしがみついて、彼が何をするつもりでいるのかと不思議がっていること)ですか? 教えてください。お願いします。