読めないところを教えてください。

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 英文からセンセーショナルなタイトルを生成する。
  • rain running over my face, standing as if frozen to the spotの意味を教えてください。
  • "Before your time, I should think."の意味を教えてください。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

読めないところを教えてください。

"Signore?" I blink. The young man, the waiter from across the square, is right beside me, staring at me with a look that is half amusement, half concern. I wonder for an instant how long he has been there. "Signore, there is no other bus here for a long time. Where is it you want to go?" He speaks in English, and again there is a little surge of petulance in me. But then I remember how I must look---more so now, with the shoulders of my pale jacket splotched with rainwater, and rain running over my face, standing as if frozen to the spot. I shake my head. "No. I'm not going anywhere. I was just---thinking. I'm all right." He raises his eyebrows. "Your Italian is excellent," he says, switching languages. "I used to live here," I say. "In Italy?" I can't help smiling a little. His accent gives him away; he comes from the city, not this little town. He is more an outsider than I am. "No," I say. "Here, in Altesa. I grew up here." "Really?" he says, politely. I nod. "Before your time, I should think." "Ah," he says. "Well, come in for a drink some time, yes?" Guy BurtのThe Dandelion Clockからの英文です。 *********************************************************** rain running over my face, standing as if frozen to the spot のstanding as if frozen to the spotというのは、どんな状態なのでしょうか? 最後の "Before your time, I should think."はどんなことを言っているのでしょうか。 教えてください。お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

> rain running over my face, standing as if frozen to the spot のstanding as if frozen to the spotというのは、どんな状態なのでしょうか?  文字通りには 「凍り付いたように」 ですが、実際に 「凍り付いて」 いるわけではなくて、「その場に立ち尽くしている」 という状態を表す表現です。 > "Before your time, I should think."はどんなことを言っているのでしょうか。  Before your time は決まった表現で、たとえば下記のところをご参照ください。   http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/before-your-time  それから I should think は should という語が入っているために、控えめな印象を与える圧減になります。  だから、たとえば 「君が生まれる前のことかもしれないけどね」 くらいでしょうか。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

standing as if frozen to the spot は素直に読めばよかったのですね。 深く考え過ぎてしまいました。 Before your timeについては、決まり文句みたいになっているのですね。 リンク先をありがとうございます。 shouldのところも疑問に思っていたところなのですが、解決できてよかったです!

関連するQ&A

• この英文についてです

There is very little time left in my winter vacation. という文なんですが、there is very little time in my winter vacationじゃおかしいですか? あと、very little time の後に過去分詞のleftが来てることが理解できないです。 どなたか説明していただけませんでしょうか?

• この問題の答えがよく分からりません。

この問題がよく分からないので、自分なりにしてみましたが、間違っているところがあると思うので、指摘してください。 (1)まさか彼女に会うとは思わなかった。 She was the meeting person I had expected to see. (2)この本は簡単な英語で書かれているので、初学者に適している。 This book is written in suitable plain English,for beginners. (3)I did not mean to keep you waiting so long. (4)I keep in relation with my friend in Canada by e-mail. (5)you should take attention to what he says. (6)I am complete about the singer. (7)There is a great question between your answer and mine. (8)What is your favorite food?

• 外国人の彼からのメール

彼から以下のようなメールがきました。 今私たちは遠距離です。 今彼はある国から母国に帰ろうとしています。 いつかあなたに会いに行っていいかどうか聞いたところ、以下のメール 彼は今回母国に帰る前に日本に私に会いに来ようとしてくれましたが、今職が無いことと、お金がかかるので、結局日本に来るのは無理でした。 が返ってきました。これは脈無しでしょうか。。。 Hi Maybe when I am settled. My life in England is very different to my life here. Unfortunately I will have much less time to chat with you and the time difference is going to make it harder. In here,I dont have many friends or family but it is the opposite in my country. I also have more responsibilities there. Anyway I am looking forward to going back. Moving back to your home town sounds like a good idea for you. Keep in touch

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Once I see one with two tails, lighter than the rest of its body; it lives somewhere near where the wall adjoins Signora Cassi’s house, and I wonder if it has been caught in the kitchen by Lucia.(前回の終わりの部分です) I go along to the end of the wall, and laboriously find footholds and handholds to help me clamber up. I peer over the top, and for a moment I don’t see him, he is standing so still. The garden here is, again, larger than ours, and sunnier as well. There aren’t so many trees, and some angle of the valley side seems to have positioned the lawn so that it catches the evening sun straight-on. The doors and windows of the house, all around the ground floor, are open, and I can hear voices – a man and a woman – inside. There are some of the boxes that came from the van, standing on the edge of the grass, waiting to be taken in. I let my attention wander around the garden, and it is now that I see him: in the shade of a tall purple bush in the border, standing with his hands in his pockets, looking upwards towards where the valley crest reaches the skyline. For a second I think he is looking right at me, but then I see the faraway expression on his face, and know he hasn’t seen me. We stay like that for some time more, he staring at the horizon, I staring at him, like children frozen in a fairytale. Then my foot slips a little, and the sound reaches him, and he shivers and sees me. He looks at once wary, but almost as quickly the wariness vanishes and is replaced by curiosity. He glances towards the house, once, then runs across the garden until he’s standing below me. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。(この英文は子供時代の回想シーンだと思われます) There are some of the boxes that came from the van, standing on the edge of the grass, waiting to be taken in.のbe taken inは、家の中に持ち込まれる、という意味ですか? Then my foot slips a little, and the sound reaches him, and he shivers and sees me.の中でhe shivers and sees me.とありますが、彼が震えたのは(he shivers)、我に返った、みたいな感じですか? He looks at once wary, but almost as quickly the wariness vanishes and is replaced by curiosity.の中のas quicklyのところは、as quickly as の意味ですか?できるだけ早く? 教えてください。お願いします。

• a little earlier or... ?

I will try to get there a little earlier time for parking. パーキングのために少し早いめの時間に行くつもりです。 * My point is "a little earlier" or "a little early" Which is better in this case among English speakers? 確認です。おそらくどちらでも意味は理解してもらえるのですが 何かふっと性格にただしいのはどっちだっけ。。。と思いました。その違いを解説してもらえるとありがたいです。 earlyだと早期と、限定してしまいますよね。

• 「美しい隣人」挿入歌「fireflies」の和訳を

先月放送終了した「美しい隣人」の英語の歌詞が手元にあるのですが、 英語がニガテで、何箇所か意味が分からない場所が… 多分ドラマにかなり沿った内容だとは思うのですが… The water’s black and warm beneath as I wade through memories held within. I hunt for him in everybody, search for him within my dreams. When the moon begins to cry and demons come dance around your bed, I’ll come for you, silently, yes you wont hear me, feel my breath upon you neck. There he is in the fireflies, on off my light in the dark. Here you sleep having everything, life death happens so fast. Everyday that I’m not with him I feel my mind is pulled apart. Here you rest with peaceful dreams, not long before your nightmare starts. There he is in the fireflies, on off my light in the dark. Here you sleep having everything, not for long I will have your heart. Oh oh, I’ll rip the strings to your heart. All for the love of a boy, drowned in lifetime of tears. あと個人的に思っただけなのですが、 「There he is in the fireflies, on off my light in the dark.」 のサビの部分、童謡の「蛍来い」の「ほ・ほ・ほたるこい」の音の形式に似てませんか?(笑) ドラマも曲も子どもの死に絡んだ狂気めいた話なので、童謡へのオマージュのようなフレーズをわざと入れているのかなぁ…と超勝手に錯覚しているのですが…。思い込みかもしれません(笑

• 今参考書を買って、英語を勉強しているのですが、どうしても次の2つのカッ

今参考書を買って、英語を勉強しているのですが、どうしても次の2つのカッコがわかりません どなたか教えてもらうととてもありがたいです。 In the early days of the United States of America, it was not easy to go from one city to Another. There was not any train and the roads were very bad. If a man wanted to go from one place to another, he bad to ride a horse. And because the roads were very bad, He sometimes became very dirty. One day a man in dirty clothes came to a hotel in a little town. “Do you have a room here for me?” he asked. The man at the desk thought, “This man is too dirty to stay at my hotel. I will tell him to go to another hotel.” “I am sorry,” he said. “We don’t have any rooms for you. There is a small hotel across the street. You can ask there.” Soon a man in fine clothes came into the hotel. He looked very important. “I’ve come to see Mr.Jefferson,” he said . “Mr.Jefferson?” “Yes, Vice-President Jefferson. We meet here.” The hotel man was surprised and said, “A man wearing( 1 )( 1 ) came here a little ago. I sent him to (  2 ) (  2 ).”he hotel man went to the Vice-President’s room in the other hotel. “Oh, Mr.Jefferson !” he cry. “I am very sorry. Now I know you are Vice-President, Not a farmer. We have a room for you. Please come back, sir.” “No,” said Mr.Jefferson. “If there is not a room for a farmer, there is not a room for the Vice-President.” この( 1 )と2のカッコには本文中の文字が入るらしいです。 またどうしてその答えになるのかも教えてください 本当に困ってます、どなたかよろしくお願いします。

• 英語の質問です

アメリカに住んでる知り合いに「一週間くらい家に泊まらせてください。それと、そちらの地域の観光地をネットで調べたんですが、特に見つけられませんでした。なのでおすすめの観光地を教えてください」 とメールしたら下記のように返ってきたんですが、(1)(2)(3)(4)の文がいまいち理解できません。 There are not a lots of places around Little Rock to visit. Little Rock is not a big city. It does not have national parks. You can ask Shota where he went last time. I can bring you some places he went. There is a Clinton Library in Little Rock. There is a limestone cave 3 hrs away from my home. There is a city called Dallas 5.5 hours away from my home. There is a roller coaster park you can ride if you like riding roller coaster.We need to stay there at lease one night in hotel though. There is a water park in a city 1 hr away from us. It has all kinds of water roller coasters. It depends what you want to do. It is impossible if you want to see those famous places in a week. (1)『I have not gone to those places yet except Disney.』 (2)『I want to wait for Alex a little bit older.』 (3)『It is ok if you want to have some fun.』 (4)『I can take few days off to go with you.』 (1)「私はディズニーを除いた上記の場所に行ったことが無い」 (2)「アレックスがもうちょっと育つまで待ちたい」←何を待ちたいのか分かりません (3)「もしあなたが楽しみたいのならokです?」 (4)「あなたのために数日休みを取ることができる」 僕とこの知り合いの関係や、他の事情を解してないと答えづらいかと思いますが、よろしくお願いします。

• よろしくお願いします

DEAR ABBY: My 23-year-old son does not want to work and spends all his time playing video games. He's obsessed with them. He disrespects my house -- and me -- by not cleaning his room. I don't know what to do. He's my son, but he is a user and feels he's entitled to live here. He pays no bills and blows all his money on gaming. He quits every job he has. I love him and kicked him out once, but he got on Facebook and told people what bad parents we are. All he says is he wants to be happy. I think he's out of touch with reality. He has no place to go if I kick him out. What do I do? -- DAD WHO'S HAD IT IN OHIO DEAR DAD: Your son is an adult, even if he doesn't act like one. Give him a deadline to find another place to crash -- perhaps with a roommate -- and be out of there. If he says he has no money, remember that he comes up with money to blow. remember that he comes up with money to blowはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 今参考書を買って、英語を勉強しているのですが、どうしても次の2つのカッ

今参考書を買って、英語を勉強しているのですが、どうしても次の2つのカッ 今参考書を買って、英語を勉強しているのですが、どうしても次の2つのカッコがわかりません どなたか教えてもらうととてもありがたいです。 In the early days of the United States of America, it was not easy to go from one city to Another. There was not any train and the roads were very bad. If a man wanted to go from one place to another, he bad to ride a horse. And because the roads were very bad, He sometimes became very dirty. One day a man in dirty clothes came to a hotel in a little town. “Do you have a room here for me?” he asked. The man at the desk thought, “This man is too dirty to stay at my hotel. I will tell him to go to another hotel.” “I am sorry,” he said. “We don’t have any rooms for you. There is a small hotel across the street. You can ask there.” Soon a man in fine clothes came into the hotel. He looked very important. “I’ve come to see Mr.Jefferson,” he said . “Mr.Jefferson?” “Yes, Vice-President Jefferson. We meet here.” The hotel man was surprised and said, “A man wearing( 1 )( 1 ) came here a little ago. I sent him to (  2 ) (  2 ).”he hotel man went to the Vice-President’s room in the other hotel. “Oh, Mr.Jefferson !” he cry. “I am very sorry. Now I know you are Vice-President, Not a farmer. We have a room for you. Please come back, sir.” “No,” said Mr.Jefferson. “If there is not a room for a farmer, there is not a room for the Vice-President.” この( 1 )と2のカッコには本文中の文字が入るらしいです。 またどうしてその答えになるのかも教えてください 本当に困ってます、どなたかよろしくお願いします。 投稿日時 - 2010-04-25 12:52:55