• ベストアンサー

次の英文について質問です。

He remembered the sunsets on his own planet, and how he tried to watch them by moving his chair. (自分の惑星の入り日を思い出し、椅子を動かして何度も見ようとしたのを思い出した。) 文中のhowはどう解釈すればいいでしょうか。 訳の「何度も」の部分に当たるのでしょうか。 それ場合、howだけで回数を表すことができるのでしょうか。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数5

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

「何度も」の出所はわかりませんが、 この how は「いかに」という疑問副詞、 あるいは「~する方法」という関係副詞。 さらにいうと、単なる that 節と変わりません。 イギリス英語でよくあるのですが、say や remember の目的語として that 節みたいに how 節を用います。 「いかに」「方法」を入れても、とくに方法は問題でなく、 ただ「~し(ようとし)たこと」を という感覚が日本語にもあると思います。

doruken
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 >さらにいうと、単なる that 節と変わりません。 この言葉に納得しました。 こういう細かいニュアンスは参考書ではなかなか知ることができないので 助かりました。

その他の回答 (2)

• 92128bwsd
  • ベストアンサー率58% (2275/3919)
回答No.3

「何度も」の意味は文脈から来ます。文法とか単語には何度の意味はどこにもありません。 ところで、ネタバレ的で恐縮ですが、これ「星の王子さま」ですよね。王子様が来た星はとても小さくて、椅子をちょっとだけ動かせば何回でも入り日が見れる。と言う前提で言うと、 "He remembered the sunsets on his own planet," のsunsetsが複数形になっているのは、ひょっとすると一日のうちに何回も見た複数の入り日かも知れません。ただ、これだけだとまだわかりません。 次の"how he tried to watch them by moving his chair." でthem はsunsetsですね。そうすると、椅子を動かすことで、何回も入り日を見る、と言う意味に取ってほぼ間違いないです。 そうすると、「椅子を動かして何度も入り日を見ようとした」と言う意味になります。 これ、星の王子さまの文脈がわからないと、入り日を、何回も(何日も)見て、入り日を見るために椅子を動かして場所を調整するのを毎日繰り返していたともとらえられるので、文脈次第です。

doruken
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 前後の文脈を入れてないと誤解を招いてしまいますよね。 失礼致しました。 丁寧に解説していただき、ありがとうございます。

• bran111
  • ベストアンサー率49% (512/1037)
回答No.2

>椅子を動かして何度も見ようとしたのを思い出した。 ひどい訳ですね。こんなものにとらわれていないで英語をしっかり読んでください。 「何度も見ようとした」なんて原文ではどこのも書いてません。 howは「何とかして」と訳せば最も適切でしょう。 「彼は自分の惑星の入り日を思い出し、椅子を動かして何とかして見ようとしたのを思い出した。」

doruken
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 回答No3の方がおっしゃられる通り、 こちらの質問内容に不足があったために誤解を招くことになってしまいました。 ともあれ、Howについて理解できました。

関連するQ&A

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

"What are you doing?" she said. He jumped up and pulled the blotting paper over his work. Her one eye through her green glasses glinted upon him, though I did not actually see it do so, but saw only the dark green glass focused with a squint on to his face. "I'm making up the accounts," he said, standing with his back to the desk, concealing the papers. I saw his hand reach back and tremble among them. "I shivered in my soaking wet clothes. Dorothy looked with her eye at the window. I slid sideways to avoid her and ran all the way home. Next morning I said. "I've tried to read with these glasses. It's all a blur. I suppose I'll have to take them back?" "Didn't you notice anything wrong when you tried---" "---tried them on in the shop?" "No. But the shop's so dark. Must I take them back?" I took them into Mr Simmonds early that afternoon. "I tried to read with them this morning, but it's all a blur." It was true that I had smeared them with cold cream first. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 he=検眼士です。she= Dorothyは検眼士の姉です。 窓の外から主人公が検眼士の様子を窺っている場面から始まっています。 ------------------------------------------------------------------ "Didn't you notice anything wrong when you tried---" "---tried them on in the shop?" "No. But the shop's so dark. Must I take them back?"の個所について But the shop's so dark.の部分はBecause ~の意味になると思うのですが、 But~と言うのが普通なのでしょうか? 前文は He pulled a sheet of blotting paper towards him. He dipped his pen in the ink and started writing on the bottom of the sheet of paper before him, comparing it from time to time with the one he had taken out of the safe. I was not surprised, but I was thrilled, when the door behind him slowly opened. It was like seeing the film of the book. Dorothy advanced on her creeping feet, and he did not hear, but formed the words he was writing, on and on. The rain pelted down regardless. She was looking crookedly, through her green glasses with her one eye, over his shoulder at the paper. となっています。 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

• 英文を翻訳希望

以下の英文を翻訳お願いしたいです。 He puts a lot of time and effort into establishing relationships and involvements and contacts that are meaningful or which he thinks will be useful to him, in the future these acquaintanceships are like investments he makes for his future. Good at organizing and building up a backdrop of social networks of people in his life., that he can call on for various things when he needs them. He can seem to accept people exactly as they are and to be non-judgmental and even humble if he has to be Though he has a pride in him that is hard to cut down. He gains from people he thinks are greater, or wealthier or more talented or knowledgeable than himself. Or from those who have more contacts, which he adds to his own. He learns from them, while tolerating their difficultness. While others may wonder, how does he put up with this dreadful person! What does he see in this irate cantankerous character? He gives a lot of time to his friends and acquaintances and contacts And to everyone he knows however slightly he knows them.,

• モームの『要約すると』をもっているかたに質問です

I wonder how anyone can have the face to condemn others when he reflects upon his own thoughts. この原文に相当する日本語訳はどうなっていますか? 参考に探しているんですが、本自体がみつからなくて困っています。 お手元にありましたら、またはご記憶でしたら、教えてください。 お願いします。

• 英文の翻訳

和訳をしていただけるかたのみで、 お願いできますでしょうか? 1つの段落の前半部分となります。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 His father was a man who was Tall, and moderately fat with large eyes and black hair and a long banana or crescent moon shaped face. A proud looking man. He had trouble with one of his knees and his leg was a bit weak or crooked. He had a hospitable and generous nature. He tried to mould the minds of his children into the right direction in life. Married late in life to a woman of superior position and his past was not so good. He could be melancholic and liked to study or read in the silence of his own chamber with a lamp, which his children were not welcome to disrupt. He was stricter and sharp with the children when they were small. but, gentler when they were older and behaved better. He could be merry, eat drink and have fun and include the children. He felt happy amongst his family and children. He was intuitive and had a spiritual side.

• ピノキオの訳

Pinocchio told them all about the cat, Playland, and the Blue Fairy, and how his nose grew bigger when he told lies. He told some lies and showed them. 上記の英文の最後のthemですが、これはliesだと思いますが、 うそを見せたと訳せば良いですか?

• 英文の訳をお願いします

以下の文章を訳していただけますか。お願いします。 He deeply desires, a true friend, someone whom he can express his feelings and thoughts to. People and relationships are important to him despite his independent exterior. He is interested in the lives and affairs of those close to him. He is an excellent arbitrator, negotiator and peace maker and meddler in other peoples problems. But not soft B, he is as forceful as he feels is necessary for achieving his own aims and ambitions, and if he feels others are not appreciative of what he is trying to do, then he will consider them unworthy of his time and efforts and he will take back what ever efforts he has made on their behalf, or whatever he has given then, When he gives to people it is not free, even if it just advice, it comes on loan. And at some point the loan is recalled. The favour owed is collected like a debt by him.

• his own well being の意味がわかりません

文中の his own well being の意味がわからないのですが、 He is all the time the self-centered individual, consecrating all thought, time and service to his own well being and personal interests. 彼は常に自己中心的な個人であり、全ての思考(思想)、時間と奉仕を、彼自身の人生をうまくやることと個人的興味に捧げます。 このような訳で良いのでしょうか?

• 英文

質問が不適切とのご指摘をいただきましたので再度質問させていただきます。 下記の英文はどういう内容なのでしょうか? 一応訳してみましたが、私としてはほとんど意味がわからなかったのでできるだけ詳しい解説を教えてください。 “目隠しを血で汚している銃殺部隊の前にいるような男を彼は見たかった。彼は男の頭を持ち上げそれを回した。そして他の槍を見て三番目に彼に向かってそれを投げた。彼は背中から槍で突かれて死ぬ準備はできていなかった。だから彼が槍を大量に投げる音がするのを見ようとしたとき、すぐにその前触れを計算して槍が中るのをよけられたに違いない。丈が高く銅色の軍服は引き裂かれ、かすかにイギリス人と見分けられる程度だった。彼の頭の上には、褐色の血に見える茶色い継ぎ接ぎのついた、汚れた白いターバンが載っていた。確かにアラビア人だが混合家系だ。彼は権力を振る舞い、彼の黒い、重く閉じた眼は彼の持ち場の向こうで知性を裏切りました。” “Like a man before a firing squad distaining the blindfold, he wanted to see. He lifted his head, craned it around, and saw another spear and then a third flying toward him. He was not prepared to die with a spear in his back and so he completely about-faced to witness the onslaught of whistling shafts, instantly calculating the angles, deciding which spear would strike where and how he must dodge them. The tall, coppery fellow's uniform was torn and faintly recognizable as British. On his head, a filthy white turban splotched with brown patches that that appeared to be fried blood. An Arab, certainly, though perhaps of mixed descent. He carried himself with authority and his dark, heavily lidded eyes betrayed an intelligence beyond his station.“

• 英文和訳おねがいします

いつもお世話になってます。 最後の文だけがわかりません。   There were once two people travelling on train, a scientist and poet. They had never met before,so naturally,there wasn't much conversation between the two. The poet was minding his own business,enjoying the passing scenery. The scientist was very tense,trying to think of things he didn't know so he could try to figure them out. 自分の訳  「その科学者はとても緊張していたそしてわからなっかたことを解決できるように考えようとした。」 解答例では「科学者は、真剣になったので、問題を解決することができた。」 so he could =so that he could  だと思いますが so の前にはコンマはついてません。 解説お願いします。

• 下記英文について質問があります。(1)

How much did „your own thing“ benefit from your work as a session musician? セッションミュージシャンとしての仕事は、あなた自身の作品(own thing)に対してどのくらいの結果(benefit)をもたらしましたか? Well, I think it’s always great to collaborate with other artists, because it almost always pushes me to try something I haven’t tried before, or even thought of before. But when it comes to my own music and compositions, I’m not sure if I bring much of my session work into them. Then again, working as a session musician definitely helped me develop a little bit of confidence on some instruments. When you’re put on the spot like that, and you have to come up with something, it can be stressful ... And over time it slowly gets easier and easier, and depending on the instrument and the music, sometimes nowadays I might not even think about it at all. I just start playing. So for better or worse, I’m slowly learning to trust my own musicianship. 途中のwhen you’re put on the spot…辺りからどうも何を言いたいのかがわかりません。訳を教えてください。