Ieyasu’s Career: A Self-Made Man in Warfare and Statecraft

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Ieyasu’s career is the most controversial, showcasing his ordinary nature rising to great occasions in warfare and statecraft. He is a self-made man, distinguishing himself through his own efforts.
  • During his early life, Ieyasu fought and worked his way back from the adversities of being a political hostage. Both he and the Tokugawa group teetered on the brink of dispersal.
  • The controversy surrounding Ieyasu's career stems from his seemingly ordinary nature that transforms into seriousness in critical situations. He had to excel in both warfare and statecraft, earning the title of a self-made man.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文と和訳があります。和訳は正しいですか?

Ieyasu’s career is the most controversial. His was a seemingly ordinary nature which rose to a serious of great occasions. Alone of the three he had to distinguish himself in warfare as well as statecraft, and he alone can be called a self-made man. His early life was spent in fighting and otherwise working his way back from the adversities of a youth spent as a political hostage to the Imagawa family. At this time not only was Ieyasu himself a captive, but the Tokugawa group of hereditary warrior-retainers teetered on the brink of complete dispersal. 和訳 「家康の経歴は最も議論のあるところである。彼は一見したところありきたりの性格であるが、重大な場面では厳粛なものになるのである。三人の内、ただ一人、彼は政治にも戦争にも自らその手腕を示さなければならなかった。そして彼だけが自力で成し遂げた人と呼ぶことが出来る。彼の若い頃は戦とそれ以外は今川一族への政治的人質として過ごした幼少時代の逆境から立ち直ろうと過ごしていた。この時期、家康は自身が人質というにとどまらず、世襲の武士家臣たちからなる徳川一族は完全な離散間際であった。」

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9705/12071)
回答No.1

全体的に素晴らしい訳文とお見受けしました。 ただ、あえて校正をお勧めできるのは次の1か所だけです。 >At this time not only was Ieyasu himself a captive, but the Tokugawa group of hereditary warrior-retainers teetered on the brink of complete dispersal. >この時期、家康は自身が人質というにとどまらず、世襲の武士家臣たちからなる徳川一族は完全な離散間際であった。 この後半を、「~徳川一族は完全な離散の瀬戸際で揺らいでいた」のように訳せば、幾分改善できるかも知れません。 以上、1か所だけ添削のご提案まで。

iwano_aoi
質問者

お礼

回答有難うございました。

その他の回答 (2)

回答No.3

こんにちは。No. 2です。補足です。 最後の、 > 世襲の武士家臣からなる徳川一族は完全に離散する瀬戸際で揺れていた。 これも、「彼だけが戦争もやったし自分で成り上がってきた男だ」ということの説明の続きですよね。 「三人の内、ただ一人、彼は政治とならんで戦争にも自らその手腕を示さなければならなかった。そして彼だけが自力で成り上がってきた人と呼ぶことができる。(すなわち)彼の若い時代は、戦争と、それ以外には、今川一族への・・・立ち直ることに費やされたのだ。そしてその時代は・・徳川一族は、完全に離散してしまう瀬戸際で揺れていたのだ。」 三人の中で彼だけが若い頃とても苦労したことが順に説明されているのだと思います。

回答No.2

こんばんは。日本史を英語で勉強されてるんですね。Richard Mason先生、存じあげませんでした。 His was a seemingly ordinary nature 彼は一見したところありきたりの性格であるが、 Hisを「彼」と訳すのはどういうわけでしょう?「彼の」ですよね?「彼の」何でしょう?もちろん前の文で、Ieyasu’s careerと言っているので、ここは、「彼の」careerで、 「彼の経歴は一見したところふつうの性質で、」じゃないでしょうか? which rose to a serious of great occasions. 重大な場面では厳粛なものになるのである。 ここは相当「重大」ですね(^^) "a serious" って何でしょうか?数えられる"serious”なる単語(つまり名詞の"serious”)が辞書に載ってるでしょうか?もともとの文が元から違っていたのか、質問者さんの読み間違いかわかりませんが、そして自分の読み間違いだとするとそれを自分で気づくのは結構大変ですが、ここで「おや?」と思わなくちゃいけません。「厳粛なもの」はまずいでしょう。 ネットで検索してみました。 https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=M1PRAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT168#v=onepage&q&f=false これで出てくるページの2段落目ですね。ですので正しくは、 which rose to a series of great occasions. ですね。 rise to the occasion は辞書を引くと「事に望んで立つ、臨機の処置をする、難局に対処する」 という語義が書いてあります。a series of は、そのoccasionがいくつもあったということなので、 which rose to a series of great occasions. いくつもの重大な難局に臨機応変に対処した(ような経歴) ということじゃないでしょうか(whichの先行詞は”his"つまり”his career"でしょう。先行詞がnatureだと、性質が難局に対処したことになり変です)。文の前半とつなげると、 彼の経歴は一見したところふつうのもので、いくつもの重大な難局に臨機応変に対処した。 どうして重大な難局につぎつぎに対処するのがふつうの経歴なのか、ちょっとわかりづらいですが、大政治家の経歴としてはそれでふつうだということなのかもしれません。 Alone of the three he had to distinguish himself in warfare as well as statecraft 三人の内、ただ一人、彼は政治にも戦争にも自らその手腕を示さなければならなかった。 「政治にも戦争にも」という訳しかたは文脈次第ではよろしいでしょうが、ここでは、二代将軍秀忠、三代将軍家光と比較してるわけで、秀忠、家光はもちろん戦争はせずに、政治だけをやったわけですから、この文は「3人の中では家康だけが戦争もやった」ということに重点があるので、 「三人の内、ただ一人、彼は政治とならんで戦争にも自らその手腕を示さなければならなかった。」 などと訳したほうがよろしいのじゃないでしょうか。 and he alone can be called a self-made man. そして彼だけが自力で成し遂げた人と呼ぶことが出来る。 self-made manを、自力で成し遂げた人、と訳すのは間違いじゃないでしょうが、ちょっと弱いかもしれませんね。self-madeというのは自分で自分を作った、自分で自分を育てた、という意味です。 「そして彼だけが自力で成り上がってきた人と呼ぶことができる」(似たり寄ったり?あんまりよくないかな?(^^)) で、His early life was spent in fighting and otherwise working his way ・・・Imagawa family. てのは、この「彼だけが戦争もやったし自分で成り上がってきた男だ」ということのいわば説明なんでしょう。 ですから、 「三人の内、ただ一人、彼は政治とならんで戦争にも自らその手腕を示さなければならなかった。そして彼だけが自力で成り上がってきた人と呼ぶことができる。(すなわち)彼の若い時代は、戦争と、それ以外には、今川一族への・・・立ち直ることに費やされたのだ」 といった論理の流れじゃないでしょうか。秀忠や家光が最初から将軍の子として大切に育てられたのと違うのだ、ということなんでしょうね。 but the Tokugawa group of hereditary warrior-retainers teetered on the brink of complete dispersal. 世襲の武士家臣たちからなる徳川一族は完全な離散間際であった。 ここはすでにほかの回答者の方のご指摘にあるとおり、 世襲の武士家臣からなる徳川一族は完全に離散する瀬戸際で揺れていた。 などと、teeterの意味を組み込んだ訳にされたほうがよろしいと思います。

関連するQ&A

• 英文と和訳があります。和訳は適切ですか?

The most powerful regent was Tokugawa Ieyasu; it turned out that he had an able and implacable foe in one of the commissioners, Ishida Mitunari. This man never tired in his attempts to stir up trouble for Ieyasu by inciting the other daimyo against him. Apart from active intriguing, other, more static forces were at work. In the delicate situation following Hideyoshi’s death the preponderance of Tokugawa power was too great to be left alone. Ieyasu had either to take the final steps which would ensure the supremacy of himself and his sons, or face the prospect that jealous rivals would wait for a chance to humble them forever. Ishida’s schemings forced the issue. On 21 October 1600 an army eighty thousand strong, led by him but provided by a coalition of ‘’western’’ daimyo, attacked the same number of ‘’eastern’’ troops under the command of Ieyasu. 日本語 最も力のあった大老は徳川家康であり、その結果、奉行衆の一人、石田三成の宿敵となった。この男は、対抗する他大名を扇動することで家康に難題を焚きつける企みを決して止めようとはしなかった。三成のおもてだった陰謀はともかく、その他の彼のもう少し地道な活動は機能した。秀吉は死後、難しい状況の中で徳川の力が非常に強くなり無視できなかった。家康は自分と息子の所領安堵の最終段階に入るか、妬んだ政敵が徳川を永遠に屈服させる機会を待つだろう見通しに向かい合うかどちらかを選択しなければならなかった。石田三成の画策は宣戦布告をもたらすこととなった。1600年10月21日、三成に率いられた8万人からなる強力な軍はあろうことか、西側と同じ兵の数を誇り、且つ家康により統制のとれた東軍に攻撃を仕掛けしまった。

• 英語の文章と訳があります。和訳は正しいですか?

After Sekigahara, Ieyasu immediately attended to the important matter of titles. Fortunately for him, Yoshiaki, the titular Ashikaga shogun, had recently died; and although the authentic genealogy of the Tokugawa house did not stretch back beyond the fifteenth century, Ieyasu had little difficulty claiming appropriate Minamoto lineage to take the title of sei-i-tai-shogun for himself and his descendants. The court meekly issued the formal letter of appointment towards the end of 1603. Ieyasu was shogun for only two years, since in 1605 he arranged for the title to be passed on to his son, Hidetada. He lived on for another eleven years, and in his ostensible retirement was as busy as ever, but he preferred to watch over the affairs of the nation and his house, rather than be concerned with details of routine administration. 和訳 関ヶ原の合戦ののち、家康はすぐに関心を向けた称号という重要な問題に。幸いなことに将軍職を持っていた足利義昭がごく最近亡くなったのです。徳川家の正当な系譜は15世紀をさかのぼることは無かったが、家康は彼自身とその子孫が征夷大将軍の地位を得るための正当な源氏の流れであることを宣言するのに何の困難もなかった。朝廷は従順に1603年の暮れ(将軍宣下する旨の)勅令を出した。1605年に息子の秀忠に位を譲ったので、家康が将軍だったのは2年間だけだった。隠居した後、11年間存命だったが、表向きの引退をして以降も相変わらず多忙を極めたが、幕府運営の些事に関わるよりも国家や幕府の行く末を見守ることを好んだ。

• 英文と和訳があります。日本語訳は正しいですか?

Ieyasu was always simple and frugal in his own habits, his only entertainment being hawking. He was notoriously careful with money, and there is a story that when he accidentally discovered that his ladies-in-waiting did not eat many vegetables if they were well salted, he promptly instructed his cook to make their dishes as salty as possible. Yet, as the years drew on, the retired shogun wished to establish a reputation for benevolence, although this attitude did not extend to Hideyori. If benevolence means a good natured regard for people in general, despite a lack of strong ties with particular individuals, a willingness to see other points of view, and a desire to work with others and not against them, then Ieyasu was benevolent. During his last few weeks on earth the old man completed long-standing arrangements to have himself deified, perhaps hoping to continue even after death the ‘’watching brief’’ he had come to exercise during life. If he does indeed live on as some sort of kindly, protective spirit among the cool huge cedars and clear mountain streams of his shrine at Nikko he will have had the reward of seeing his descendants preside for centuries over a peaceful and generally prosperous society, and the further satisfaction of knowing that the end of Tokugawa greatness was not altogether unworthy of its beginnings. 和訳 家康は自身の習慣として常に質素倹約だった。彼の唯一の楽しみは鷹狩りをすることだった。彼は悪名が知れ渡るほどの倹約家であり、御殿女中達がよく塩漬けされた野菜をあまり食べないのを偶然発見すると、即座に自分の料理番に彼女らの料理をできうる限り塩辛くするよう指示したという逸話もある。しかし、人生の終わりに近づくにつれ隠居した将軍は仁愛という評判を確立したかった。この態度は秀頼には示されなかったが。仁愛が特定の個人との強いつながりがないにもかかわらず、概して人に対して温厚で敬意を払うことであり、進んで他人の考え方を理解しようという気持であり、他人と協力しぶつからないという欲求を意味するのであれば、家康は仁愛が深かった。恐らくは存命中に行使していた「監視の指示」を死後ですらし続けることを望みながら、地上にいる最後の数週間の間にこの老人は自分自身を神格化する長年のお膳立てを完成した。もし彼が日光の御宮の素晴らしい巨大杉と清流に囲まれて、何かしらの慈悲深い守護霊として確かに生き続けるならば、自分の末裔たちが何世紀にもわたり平和で総じて豊かな社会を総括しているのを見ると言う褒美を遣わされ、徳川がなしえたことの終焉がまったくもってその始まりに比べると取るに足りないことと知って更なる満足を得るであろう。

• 英文を和訳してください。

和訳お願いします。 An old man died and left son a lot of money. But the son was a foolish young man, and he quickly spent all the money, so that soon he had nothing left. Of course, when that happened, all his friends left him. When he was quite poor and alone, he went to see Nasreddin, who was a kind, clever old man and often helped people when they had troubles. `My money has finished and my friends have gone, `said the young man. `What will happen to me now?` `don't worry, young man, `answered Nasreddin. `Everything will soon be all right again. Wait, and you will soon feel much happier.`

• 英文を日本語訳して下さい。

Ieyasu was always simple and frugal in his own habits, his only entertainment being hawking. He was notoriously careful with money, and there is a story that when he accidentally discovered that his ladies-in-waiting did not eat many vegetables if they were well salted, he promptly instructed his cook to make their dishes as salty as possible. Yet, as the years drew on, the retired shogun wished to establish a reputation for benevolence, although this attitude did not extend to Hideyori. If benevolence means a good-natured regard for people in general, despite a lack of strong ties with particular individuals, a willingness to see other points of view, and a desire to work with others and not against them, then Ieyasu was benevolent. During his last few weeks on earth the old man completed long-standing arrangements to have himself deified, perhaps hoping to continue even after death the ‘watching brief’ he had come to exercise during life. If he does indeed live on as some sort of kindly, protective spirit among the cool huge cedars and clear mountain streams of his shrine at Nikkou he will have had the reward of seeing his descendants preside for centuries over a peaceful and generally prosperous society, and the further satisfaction of knowing that the end of Tokugawa greatness was not altogether unworthy of its beginnings.

• 英文の和訳をお願いします。

For some, the measure of his success was the transformation of a ho-hum computer company into a $380 billion technology titan that became the world's most valuable company (in terms of market value) earlier this year. He was worth $8 billion when he died last week of pancreatic cancer. For many others — and Mr. Jobs himself, who claimed it was never about the money — his legacy will be the way he transformed the relationship between people and technology.

• 英文とその日本語訳があります。和訳は適切ですか?

The traditional picture of Ieyasu is one of a crafty and grasping old man, and Japanese children are probably still told that ‘’Ieyasu ate the pie Nobunaga made and Hideyoshi baked.’’ Ambition never led him astray, however. On the contrary, self-control and a truly marvelous patience stamped his character from childhood. He was also lucky, in surviving so many battles in the first half on his life, and in that his health, of which he took scrupulous care, allowed him to outlive his great contemporaries by a useful margin of twenty or thirty years. 和訳 家康は昔から狡猾で貪欲な老人だと思われてきたし、日本人の子どもは今でも「信長が作って秀吉が焼いたパイを家康が食べた。」と教わっているだろう。しかし、実際には彼は野心により道を外れることなど決してなかった。むしろ、彼は子どもの頃から自制心や真に素晴らしい忍耐を身につけていたのだ。彼が健康に気を遣い、同時代の偉大なライバルたちよりも20年~30年長生きしたので、その年月を有効に使えた事も幸運だった。

• 英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を助けてください

英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を教えていただきたいです よろしくお願いします!! Moreover, its location at a busy crossroads two streets north of the forum was well suited to advertise the cult and, with it, the munificence and political correctness of the donor. The land on which the temple was built formed part of Tullius’s private property, and he was fortunate to be able to turn this circumstance to advantage. Another prominent citizen of the Augustran period was M.Holconius Rufus, who held all the chief posts in the local administration, acted as a priest of the imperial cult, and like Tullius was rewarded by the emperor with a grant of the military tribute. During his third tenure of the duvirate, i.e., not long before 2 BC, the year of his fourth tenure, he and his fellow duovir, C. Egnatius Postumus, built a wall which obstructed the lights of houses adjacent to the Sanctuary of Apollo. An inscription found in the sanctuary records the compensation paid to the householders who were affected.

• 以下に英文と和訳があります。和訳は正しいですか?

Above all, he was lucky in having capable sons to take over the family fortunes when he died. Even though he was hardly a family man, and his wives and children meant little to him, the question of succession determined many of his attitudes. Certainly, in a period of thrusting and showy egotists who wanted as much as possible for themselves, the Tokugawa daimyo labored quietly for the good of his household, retainers as well as children, and refused to compete for purely personal glory. 和訳 とりわけ、彼が死んだ時に家族の富を引き継ぐ有能な息子が彼にいたことは幸運だった。彼が家族的な男であることはほとんどなく、彼の妻や子どもは彼にとってほとんど意味が無かったとしても、承継の問題は彼の態度の多くを決定づけることになった。確かに出来るだけ多くのものを自分のものにしようとする出しゃばりで自己顕示欲の強いエゴイストたちの時代において、この徳川の大名は、家と家臣、そして子孫のために黙々と働き、純粋に個人に個人的な栄誉の為に争うことは拒否したのだった。

• この英文の和訳お願いします。

翻訳サイトではわかりづらかったので質問しました。 almoner? がこちらのプリントのミスなのか辞書でもでてきませんでした。 誤字はないと思います。 For most of his life he had worked as a commercial artist. "I did a bit of tickling" delicate lettering and design for advertising blocks. In his late sixties he experienced long spells of illness. When he was able to work he went as bottlewasher to a dairy. He was obliged to gibe up work finally because of ill-health and growing infirmity at the age of seventy-two. Since the death of his wife his social activities had contracted. He did not get up for long and rarely went out, except at week-ends for his pension and his shopping. Even his visits to an infirm brother living some miles away had fallen off. "I used to go over and see him every Tuesday night last year up to that fog we had in November. Then I just lay on my bed coughing my and coughing. Coughing all day and night, thinking my time had come. But it wasn't to be." He regretted not having children, especially a daughter, who "might have stood by me when I got old", and he had no nephews or nieces living in London. The neighbours saw little of him. Next door was "Mrs Lipstick and Powder, that's what I calls her, always going out." On the other side was "Mrs Fly-by-night. She rushes past me on the stairs now, like some of the others, without asking how I am. Not that I mind. But they used to do it and since I came out of hospital and go around just like a decrepit old man decrepit, yes - I suppose they don't like to ask how I am in case they feel they should do something. But there - life's like that, isn't it?" He had lost touch with all his friends and did not approve of old people's clubs. "They're all clicks of decrepit old people." His opinion of national assistance officials, doctors, almoners, and nurses was favourable, except that sometimes they "kept you in the dark" or "treated you like a little child". He had refused offers of a home help, mainly, it appeared, from a sense of privacy, shame of his home, misunderstanding about payment, and suspicion of the sort of woman who would come. His memories of contacts with doctors and hospitals were extremely vivid and he recalled at length some of his experiences. He talked about an almoner who was "a lovely looking party", about his new dentures, "I don't wear the top, it's more comfortable', and with pride about his one perfect faculty, his eyesight. On occasions when he could scarcely walk it never occurred to him to ask his doctor to visit him; he preferred to make painful journeys to the surgery.