Lateral Thinking: The Difference Between Vertical and Lateral Thinkers

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The story highlights the difference between vertical and lateral thinking. Vertical thinkers focus on the girl taking a pebble, while lateral thinkers consider the pebble left behind. Vertical thinkers analyze situations logically, while lateral thinkers explore various perspectives.
  • In the pebble story, the girl randomly selects a pebble from a bag. She drops it without looking, and then claims the remaining pebble's color reveals the one she took. Her clumsiness is brushed off as she suggests a method to determine the pebble's identity.
  • In the context of the pebble story, 'it' refers to 'the most reasonable view of a situation,' while 'that' refers to 'something' that lateral thinkers explore.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

Lateral Thinking (3)

『Lateral Thinking (2)』 の続きになります。 The story shows the difference between vertical thinking and lateral thinking. Vertical thinkers are concerned with the fact that the girl has to take a pebble. Lateral thinkers become concerned with the pebble that is left behind. Vertical thinkers take the most reasonable view of a situation and then proceed logically and carefully to work it out. Lateral thinkers tend to explore all the different ways of looking at something, rather than accepting the most promising and proceeding from that. The girl in the pebble story put her hand into the money bag and drew out a pebble. Without looking at it she fumbled and let it fall to the path where it was immediately lost among all the others. "Oh, how clumsy of me," she said, "but never mind--if you look into the bag you will be able to tell which pebble I took by the colour of the one that is left." itとthatが指すものを教えてください。 1)Vertical thinkers take the most reasonable view of a situation and then proceed logically and carefully to work it out. itはthe most reasonable view of a situationですか? 2)Lateral thinkers tend to explore all the different ways of looking at something, rather than accepting the most promising and proceeding from that. thatはsomethingですか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

> 1)Vertical thinkers take the most reasonable view of a situation and then proceed logically and carefully to work it out. > itはthe most reasonable view of a situationですか?  そのように考えるのは垂直思考です ・・・ というわけではありませんが、その it は the situation だと思います。... and carefully to work the situation out. (そしてその状況をどうにかしようとする) > 2)Lateral thinkers tend to explore all the different ways of looking at something, rather than accepting the most promising and proceeding from that. > thatはsomethingですか?  この文だけに限定すれば確かに something であるとしか言えません。

chrleyk
質問者

お礼

3問とも回答してくださって本当にありがとうございます! 質問の箇所がclearになりました! ...and carefully to work the situation out.と考えるとよいのですね。 (水平思考を身につけたいところです)

関連するQ&A

• Lateral Thinking (2)

『Lateral Thinking (1) 』の続きになります。 What type of thinking would you use to solve the problem? You may believe that careful logical analysis must solve the problem if there is a solution. This type of thinking is straightforward vertical thinking. The other type of thinking is lateral thinking. Vertical thinkers are not usually of much help to a girl in this situation. The way they analyse it, there are three possibilities: 1. The girl should refuse to take pebble. 2. The girl should show that there are two black pebbles in the bag and expose the money-lender as a cheat. 3. The girl should take a black pebble and sacrifice herself in order to save her father from prison. None of the suggestions is very helpful, for if the girl does not take a pebble her father goes to prison, and if she does take a pebble, then she has to marry the money-lender. straightforward vertical thinkingの箇所なのですが、 vertical でそもそも”垂直の”という意味だと思うのですが、それにstraightforward(まっすぐな)という形容詞をつけている理由がよくわかりません。 ここのstraightforwardは何か別の意味なのでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• Lateral Thinking (1)

長文失礼します。 Many years ago when a person who owed money could be thrown into jail, a merchant in London had the misfortune to owe a huge sum to a money-lender. The money-lender, who was old and ugly, fancied the merchant's beautiful teenage daughter. He proposed a bargain. He said he would cancel the merchant's debt if he could have the girl instead. Both the merchant and his daughter were horrified at the proposal. So the cunning money-lender proposed that they let Providence decide the matter. He told them that he would put a black pebble and a white pebble into an empty money-bag and then the girl would have to pick out one of the pebbles. If she chose the black pebble she would become his wife and her father's debt would be cancelled. If she chose the white pebble she would stay with her father and the debt would still be cancelled. But if she refused to pick out a pebble her father would be thrown into jail and she would starve. Reluctantly the merchant agreed. They were standing on a pebble-strewn path in the merchant's garden as they talked and the money-lender stooped down to pick up the two pebbles. As he picked up the pebbles the girl, sharp-eyed with fright, noticed that he picked up two black pebbles and put them into the money-bag. He then asked the girl to pick out the pebble that was to decide 《her fate and that of her father.》 Imagine that you are standing on that path in the merchant's garden. What would you have done if you had been the unfortunate girl? If you had had to advise her what would you have advised her to do? (The use of lateral thinking by E. De Bono) 所有格について教えてください。 《her fate and that of her father》の個所は(《》は自分で付けたものです)、 fate of her and her father,もしくはher fate and father'sとしても同じ意味ですか?  質問文が長くなってしまって恐縮です。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 日本語訳

The vertical row count of scales below the lateral line (SBL) was modified from that of Hubbs and Lagler , the count being made upward and backward from the anal fin origin to the lateral line. の日本語訳を教えてください

• 和訳してください

It helps to know the strengths and weakness of each type of visual object so that we can choose the type of graph that will best help us find what we're looking for, examine it in the way will most likely to lead to understanding, and, when necessary, communicate the information to others. (1)和訳してください (2)examine it in the way will most likely to lead to understanding の文法説明をお願いします。(itは何を指す?)

• ジョブズのスピーチで質問

スタンフォード大学で行われたジョブズのスピーチで質問です。 Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose . the trap of thinking (that)you have something to lose . thinking は、動名詞ですから、thinking とyouの間にthatが省略されていますか?

• 英文の構造を教えてください

The phenomenon of intetest is in itself a most interesting subject . It is not too much to say that a man's interests are a sure guide to the real man. We certainly act on that assumption when we choose our friends. It is just as reasonable to suppose that what a culture defines as interesting is no less a guide to its own values, goals and self consciousness. という英文で、it is just as reasonable to suppose that …のところのasが前文の内容が比較対照が明らかなので、省略されているらしのですが、これは it is just as reasonable to suppose that what a culture defines as interesting is no less a guide to its own values, goals and self consciousness as it is just as reasonable to say that a man ' s intetests are a sure guide to the real man ということでいいのでしょうか?あとhe is rich and you are just as rich[as he is]のようにto say that a man ' s intetests are a sure guide to the real man をthatとし、it is just as reasonable to suppose that …as that isのように書き換えられるのでしょうか?

• 英語のインタビューの内容を教えてください

妊婦さんが旦那さんと一緒に初めてお腹の中の赤ちゃんの様子を見たときの印象です。But以下の訳を御指導いただけないでしょうか。特に「we were a part of it」のニュアンスがわかりません。「  」内はその前の文なので参考にしてください。 「I mean, you're looking at something that's black, white and various shades of grey, and it's not the easiest thing to make out. And I'm not even sure that, you know, we were looking, I was probably looking at an eye when I was supposed to be looking at a nose, things like that.」 But just the feeling that we weren't just happening to be there. You know, that we were actually, she made us feel like we were a part of it and that we had some sort of say, and that we had brains. I mean, it was nice to feel like you were a part of the process.

• スティーブジョブズのスピーチで質問です。

スティーブジョブズのスピーチで質問です。 Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose . (自分も死に向かっているんだとし意識することは、自分には失うものがあるという思考の落とし穴を避けるための策として、私の知る範囲では、最善です。) この文章ですが・・ {Remembering that you are going to die }is the best way(that)I know to avoid the trap of thinking(that) you have something to lose . こんな感じで、分けられますか? 1)、the best way(that)I know と関係代名詞が省略されているのですか? 2) thinking(that) you have something to lose . このthinking は、動名詞でしょうか?? 接続詞のthat が省略されているのですか。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Chapter Four In bare feet I light some of the candles I have placed around the room, and the cheerful light they cast drives away some of the shadows that have been tugging at me. I don’t feel ready to sleep yet. I want to think of something to push the uneasy memory of these fragments away, to give me something else to concentrate on as I lie in bed. Some part of me is aware that the old childhood fear could so easily come back to life now; the fear that I will wake, in a moment, to find myself old and dying, my life already spent. I can’t face that again. So I take one of the candles and wander the house with it, eventually finding my way upstairs. Once I am in my old bedroom, it seems the most obvious thing in the world to open the window there, and to sit on the sill, looking up the valley at night. ****************************** (前回質問させていただいたところで三章は終わりました。) 主人公のAlexはartistで、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに帰ってきています。 最後の Once I am in my old bedroom, it seems the most obvious thing in the world to open the window there, and to sit on the sill, looking up the valley at night.の意味が上手く掴めません。 一旦、私が古びた寝室にいるならば、夜に谷を見あげながらそこで窓を開け、敷居に座ることはこの世の中で最もあきらかなことに思われる? これはどういうことを言っているのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• 英語 和訳

With the population of the world set to rise dramatically in this century from 6000 million in the year 2000 to 10000 million by 2050-and with most of that growth in the Third World-what should we be thinking of with regard to providing the most basic of resources:food? この英文どなたか和訳お願いします。