• ベストアンサー

トマスハーディの詩の解釈をお願いします

こんにちは。 トマスハーディの"Christmas in the Elgin Room"という作品において、解釈ができない部分がありましたので、教えていただきたいです。 O it is sad now we are sold - We gods! for Borean people's gold, And brought to the gloom Of this gaunt room Which sunlight shuns, and sweet Aurore but enters cold. For all there bells, would I were still Radiant as on Athenai's Hill. - And I, and I! The others sigh, Before this Christ was known, and we had men's good will. Thereat old Helios could but nod, Throbbed, too, the Ilissus River-god, And th torsos there Of deities fair, Whose limbs were shards beneath some Acropolitan clod: Demeter too, Poseidon hoar, Persephone, and many more Of Zeus' high breed, - All loth to heed What the bells sang that night which shook them to the core. この部分なのですが、ここでの神々の働きにおいて、どのように解釈をすればよろしいのでしょうか? 僕は、 Boreas(北風の神)が母とその叔父であるAuroreとHeliosをgaunt roomに閉じ込めてしまい、Auroreはには寒さが襲った。Heliosはもう年老いて、居眠りすることしかできない状態になっている。 Demeter, Persephone, Poseidon Zeusは全知全能であるZeusとその系譜の者たちでさえ、Chrismasというキリスト教振興にはどう抗うこともできないでいる。 作中のIlissusとAthenailについては解釈の仕方が全く分かりませんでした。 よろしくお願いします。

みんなが選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

こんにちは。 少し違うようです。ここで描かれているのは、19世紀にイギリスの外交官が、ギリシャのパルテンノン神殿から切り取って持ち帰った神々の彫刻で、現在大英博物館に展示されている「エルギン・マーブル」のことです。 http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%A8%E3%83%AB%E3%82%AE%E3%83%B3%E3%83%BB%E3%83%9E%E3%83%BC%E3%83%96%E3%83%AB まずBoreanですが、もとの意味はギリシャの風の神ですが、ここではBorean peopleで北ヨーロッパ人を指すようです。we are sold for Borean people's gold、つまり、私達(切り取られた神々の彫刻)は、北の人びとの金と取り換えられた(sold for=売られた)、という意味でしょう。そして、暗く陰湿な博物館の部屋へ持って行かれた、その部屋は日の光を遮り、優しいアウローラ(曙の女神)さえもその部屋に冷ややかに加わる、という意味です(entersの目的語はWhich=room)。Ilissus River-godですが、Ilissus Riverは、ギリシャのイリソス川、ギリシャ神話には、この川の岸辺で遊んでいた、アテナイの王エレクテウスの娘、オーレイテュイアが、風の神ボレアスに誘拐された話があり、ボレアスを祀る祭壇が作られたとのことです。つまり、Ilissus River-god、イリソス川の神はボレアスであり、彫刻を持ち去ったイギリス人の象徴です。年老いたヘリオスも脅迫とイリソス川の神を受け入れるしかなく、震えていた、ということでしょうか。 For all there bells, would I were still Radiant as on Athenai's Hill. これは、「この全ての鐘と引き換えに、まだアテナイの丘の光であり続けたい」ということだと思います。そして最後は、Demeter, Persephone, Poseidonなど、ゼウスの優れた子孫たちもみな、クリスマスの夜に鳴り、彼らを芯まで動揺させた鐘に注意を払いたくない(聞きたくない)という意味だと思います。 以上、御参考まで。

その他の回答 (1)

noname#207067
noname#207067
回答No.1

道元によって今までの仏教が否定されて 悟りもなくなって、新しい時代になっていくのだなあ。 仏教は終わり。

関連するQ&A

• (150)The "Hymn to Demeter",……この英文はどう訳せばよいでしょうか

QA150 The "Hymn to Demeter", extant only in the MS. discovered by Matthiae at Moscow, describes the seizure of Persephone by Hades, the grief of Demeter, her stay at Eleusis, and her vengeance on gods and men by causing famine. 試し訳 『デーメーテールへの≪ホメーロス賛歌≫』は、このMS(manuscript写本)だけに残されており、モスクワのマッティアエによって発見されたもので、ハーデースによるペルセポネーの強奪、デーメーテ-ルの悲しみ、エレウシースに彼女が滞在したこと、食糧不足を引き起こして神と人間に復讐する彼女について述べている。 質問 (1)The "Hymn to Demeter"について   このHimnは「ホメーロス賛歌」を意味するらしい。   ‘H’がホメーロスの略かもしれない。(よく分からない)    したがって、『デーメーテールへの≪ホメーロス賛歌≫』が  正しい訳し方かもしれない(よく分からない)。 ここでの訳は、『デーメーテールへの賛歌』でよいと思いますが。 *Matthiae at Moscowについて    Paolo Matthiae (* 1940) is Professor of Archaeology and History of Art of the Ancient Near East in the University of Rome La Sapienza; he has been Director of the ≪Ebla≫ Expedition since 1963—in fact, its discoverer *≪Ebla≫ はシリア北部にある古代の都市国家の遺跡(1800BC~1650)。 アレッポの南西55kmに位置する *"Hymn to Demeter"の訳し方    デーメーテールへの≪ホメーロス賛歌≫  『ギリシャ・ローマ神話辞典』 高津春繁訳 *Demeter:大地の生産物の女神          娘コレー(娘の意味)          崇拝の中心地、アッティカのエレウシース *Persephone;ゼウスとデーメーテールの娘(一説ではステュクスとの娘)     Persepassa,persepattaともいい、     ハーデースの妻、母子ともにギリシャ密教の二大女神

• 詩の解釈

Edna St. Vincent Millayの"If Still Your Orchards Bear"という詩の解釈ができなくて困っています。 訳ができる方、もしくは内容の解釈ができる方はお願いします。 Brother, that breathe the August air Ten thousand years from now, And smell --- if still your orchards bear Tart apples on the bough --- The early windfall under the tree, And see the red fruit shine, I cannot think your thoughts will be Much different from mine. Should at that moment the full moon Step forth upon the hill, And memories hard to bear, By moonlight harder still, Form in the shadows of the trees, --- Things that you could not spare And live, or so you thought, yet these Are gone, and you still there, A man no longer what he was, Nor yet the thing he'd planned, The chilly apple from the grass Warmed by your living hand --- I think you will have need of tears; I think they will not flow; Suppposing in ten thousand years Men ache, as they do now.

• 英文解釈

下記の英文をどう解釈すれば良いかわかりません。わかる方がいましたらよろしくお願いします。 (マグロの数が激減しているので、規制すべきだという内容の記事です) And we have to get management of the oceans correct and we can't keep … and governments can't keep acting like we'll take care of that next year. -- 補足-- 【前後の文】 "Management of fish species on the high seas isn't just about making sure people have nice seafood when they go to a restaurant; it's about the very future of our planet," continued Lieberman. "And we have to get management of the oceans correct and we can't keep … and governments can't keep acting like we'll take care of that next year. We'll worry about making money in the short term, we'll listen to the fishing industry; we'll worry about the ocean & the environment later. We don't have that luxury." 【出展】 http://www.voanews.com/english/news/asia/Bluefin-Tuna-Endangered-by-Overfishing--111159869.html

• 英文解釈

こんばんは。今大学生で、家庭教師をしており明日教えなければなりません。 少し分からない点があるのでご指導お願いいたします。 Nowadays we speak quite easily and naturally of the crisis through which our chivilization is passing. Without questioning the assumption that we are in the midst of a crisis, I should ask whether this feeling of crisis is not something inseparable from human life in any historical period. The more closely we exmine the past, the more we find that it, too, is uneasy with its own sense of historical crisis and urgency. Sometimes, in retrospect, these crisis look illusory, for mankind has survived some of its worst apprehensions; and then we have to remind ourselves that these men and women of the past felt their crisis with the same intimate uneasiness with which we feel ours. (1)The more closely we exmine the past, the more we find that it, too, is uneasy with its own sense of historical crisis and urgency. のthe 比較級 S V+the 比較級 S Vにおいて、the moreみたいな形容詞の比較級+名詞の場合はthe more 名詞 SVとなると思いますが、 なぜ、the more closely the past we exmineとならないのでしょうか? (2)the more we find that it, too, is uneasy with its own sense of historical crisis and urgency. はtooが挿入になっていてthe more find that it is uneasy...となっているのでしょうか? (3)Sometimes, in retrospect, these crisis look illusory, for mankind has survived some of its worst apprehensions;のforは理由を表す接続詞でしょうか?この用法は文語ですか? 試訳→現在、私たちは私たちの文明が危機を経験しているということを、たわいもなく自然に話す。私たちが危機の最中にいるという仮定に疑問を抱くことなく、私は危機感がいかなる歴史的時代における人間生活と切り離せないものでないかどうかを尋ねたい。私たちが過去を詳細に調べるにつれて、歴史的危機と緊迫性のために不安定であるということがますます分かる。振り返ってみると、時々これらの危機は幻想のように思える。っというのは、人類はなんらかの最悪な不安を乗り越えているからだ。つまり、私たちは過去の人間が現代の私たちが抱いている同じ似通った不安感を伴った危機を感じていた。ということを思い出さなければならないのだ。

• 英文解釈について

以下の英文解釈について文法的解釈も含め教えて下さい。 mandateがどの様に絡んでくるのかがわかりません。 I was working for the state of California in those days and we put a lot of energy into passing an energy-conservation building mandate, Title 24. よろしくお願いします。

• 文法と意味の解釈 I rejoined…

以下の文章に関する質問です。 I rejoice also in your advocation of the Indian rights. & concur in all your sentiments in their favor ... I wish that was the only blot in our moral history, and that no other race *had higher charges to bring against us. I am not apt to despair; yet* I see not how we are to disengage ourselves from that deplorable entanglement, we have the wolf by the ears and feel the danger of either holding or letting him loose. I shall not live to see it but those who come after us will be wiser than we are, for light is spreading and man improving. to that advancement I look, and to the dispensations of an all-wise and all-powerful providence to devise the means of effecting what is right. 1. no other race *had higher charges to bring against us.の理解ができないです。 「他のどの人種も我々にもたらすより大きな非難を持っていないことを願う。」→ 「我々にもたらされるべき最大の非難は、私たちだけが有していることを願う。」 理解が合っているか解釈チェック宜しくお願いします。 2. I see not how we are to disengage ourselves from that deplorable entanglement のnot が理解できないです。 意味的には、 I don’t see how we are to disengage ourselves from that deplorable entanglementだと思うのですが、 このnotの位置がなぜこのようになっているのか理解したいです。 解説宜しくお願いします。 3. to that advancement I look, and to the dispensations of an all-wise and all-powerful providence to devise the means of effecting what is right.の文法解釈と意味が分からないです。 to that advancement I lookは倒置しているように思いますが、なぜ倒置しているのか理解したいです。 *to the dispensations of an all-wise and all-powerful providence *to devise the means of effecting what is right. 全体的な文法構造がわからないです。 特にtoがなにと関連しているのか分からないです。lookと関係している?と感じましたが、カンマでちゃんと区切られているので、分からないです。解説宜しくお願いします。

• 文法構造・解釈

われわれは、商品開発チームとマーケテイングチームをもっとうまくまとめる必要がある。の英訳文として下記のぶんがありました。 We need to better integrate our product and marketing teams. S=We  V=need  O=to better integrate our product and marketing teams. という解釈で良いでしょうか?

• ポールマッカートニーが使った詩のイメージ

Paul McCartneyがアルバム「back to the egg」で使っている英詩です。 初めて聞いた時からずっと印象に残っています。 単語の意味と言っていることはだいたい分かります。 が、力不足で「味わう」ことができません。 大変漠然とした質問で恐縮なのですが、皆さんは、この詩にどんな印象を持たれますか?どこか一つの文を取り上げての印象でも結構です。 よろしくお願いします We've got a chance and we'll take it; We may win or we may lose; We may even have to cut and run for it. Well, it won't be the first time I've run And it won't be the first time I've been caught. It's the game that matters. Brother, I am proud to know you. This is one of the greatest moments I have ever experienced. I think I'll sense a situation when we all esteemed it An honor to breathe the rather inferior atmosphere Of this station here along with our little friend. I guess we should all go home and treasure the memory of his face As the whitest thing in our museum of recollection. And, perhaps, this good woman will also go home And watch the face of our little brother here. I'm inspired with a new faith in mankind. Ladies and gentlemen, I wish to present to you A sure enough saint who only wants a halo to be transfixed. Stand right up.

• 下記英文の解釈で質問があります 1/26

So when recording these loops, you didn't have an exact idea of what exactly you want to do with them? No … No idea whatsoever… The live aspect was just that - it was an improvisation with microphones running most of the time. I would move from instrument to instrument in the studio and play and record a layer of the loop. Once I got something that seemed “finished” to me I’d head into the control room. If I felt I could listen to this loop - usually about 12 seconds long or less - for 10, 15, 25 minutes and totally zone into it, then I knew it was a keeper, and I’d commit it to the hard drive and then erase and move onto another one. It’s a really subtle art of creating loops where nothing sticks out too much as to cause it to get obvious sounding, yet, at the same time the loops have to be repetitive and hypnotic. Q1 I would move from instrument to instrument in the studio and play and record a layer of the loop. スタジオの中で、楽器から楽器に移動して、プレイして、ループを重ねていったんだ。 ここでのwouldとはどういった解釈ですか? Q2 If I felt I could listen to this loop - usually about 12 seconds long or less - for 10, 15, 25 minutes and totally zone into it, then I knew it was a keeper, and I’d commit it to the hard drive and then erase and move onto another one. もし、このループ…大抵の場合は12秒かそれ以下くらいだけど、それを10分、15分、25分間と聴く事が出来で、そしてtotally zone into it,then I knew it was a keeper, そしてそのループ(it)をハードディスクに記録して、それから消したり動かしたりして別のループに作り替えていくんだ(ontoの解釈) 英語の部分がどうもわかりません。あとontoの解釈は上記でよいでしょうか? Q3 It’s a really subtle art of creating loops where nothing sticks out too much as to cause it to get obvious sounding, yet, at the same time the loops have to be repetitive and hypnotic. ループを生み出すというぼんやりとしたアートさ。where nothing sticks out too much as to cause it to get obvious sounding, けど、同時にループは反復的で、催眠作用があるものでなければならない。 ここも英語のままの部分がどうもわかりません・・・。

• 文章解釈

添付ファイルで赤くマーカーされている 文章の解釈が分からないです。 どういった意図でこの文章が導入されているか解説宜しくお願いします。 As he put it in The War of Art, "We don't tell ourselves,'I'm never going to write my symphony. Instead we say, 'I'm going to write my symphony;I'm just going to start tomorrow.' As he put it in The War of Art,は理解できます。 解説宜しくお願いします。