なぜDaveのセリフはエが正解なのか?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Daveはコーヒーやブラックチョコレートを苦い味の代表として挙げています。
  • 彼は苦い味が好きな人もいると指摘しています。
  • 一方で、彼はコーヒーが毒だとは言っていません。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英語の会話文の問題で質問です。

英語の会話文の問題で質問です。 本文 John: We dislike bitter tastes because lots of poisons are bitter. Dave: Well,anyone for a nice cup of poison - I mean - coffee?      Or how about some strong dark chocolate? 問題分 John claims that we dislike bitter things because they are bad for us. Dave shows his disagreement by 選択肢 ア arguing that coffee is poisonous. エ pointing out that some people love bitter tastes. (イとウは省略) 解説によると正解はエだそうです。 しかしなぜエが正解なのかわかりません。 Daveのセリフの訳は 「じゃ、誰かおいしい毒を1杯飲む?もちろんコーヒーのことだよ。 さもなければカカオ分の多いブラックチョコレートはどう?」です。 解説には「Daveはコーヒーとブラックチョコレートを苦いものの代表として挙げていて、 苦い味が大好きな人もいると指摘している」と書いてありました。 なぜDaveが「苦い味が大好きな人もいる」と主張していることになるのでしょうか? 「じゃ、誰かおいしい毒を1杯飲む?もちろんコーヒーのことだよ。」というセリフから判断して アを選びましたが不正解でした。 「Daveはコーヒーは毒だとは言っていない」と解説にありましたが、 そう判断できる理由はなぜでしょうか? エが正解である理由とアが不正解である理由を教えてください。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#212313
noname#212313
回答No.2

お示しの訳は多少意訳ですね。もう少し直訳的にしてみます。 >John: We dislike bitter tastes because lots of poisons are bitter. 「極めて多くの毒は苦みを持っているから、(毒を避けるために)人間は苦い味を嫌うんだよ。」 >Dave: Well,anyone for a nice cup of poison - I mean - coffee? Or how about some strong dark chocolate? 「それじゃ、たっぷり1杯のいい毒、つまりコーヒーが好きな人は? それか、ちょっと強めのブラックチョコ(甘みが少ないチョコ)はどうなの?」  こうしてみても、実はDaveは皮肉を言っているので、ちょっと解釈が難しくなっています。字義通りに受け取ると、Daveの意図を誤解することになります。  Daveの台詞のforですが、for Aで「Aに支持している」「Aを好んでいる」というforです(対義語はagainst)。  DaveがJohnに尋ねているのは「コーヒーやビターチョコのように、苦い味を好む人がいるのだけど、君の理屈には合っているの?」ということです。質問の形をとっていますが、反語と考えるべきでしょう。  確かにDaveはpoisonと言っています。それは反語表現であることを考慮すると、Johnに対して、苦いもの全てが毒なら、コーヒーもブラックチョコも苦いのだけど、それらは毒なのか、そんなはずはないよね、という比肉だと受け取るべきでしょう。  Daveの真意としては「苦いコーヒーやブラックチョコは毒ではない」ということです。それは、Johnの主張に対する反例、例外があることを主張するものになっているわけです。選択肢を和訳して確認してみます。 >ア arguing that coffee is poisonous. 「コーヒーは毒だと主張している」 >エ pointing out that some people love bitter tastes. 「苦い味が好きな人もいることを指摘している」  Daveの真意はコーヒー好きがいる、苦いチョコでも好きな人がいるという、いわば、よく知られた事実をJohnに突きつけることです。アはDaveの意図に沿わず、エならDaveの意図を汲み取っています。

mldqxp
質問者

お礼

Daveの真意を汲み取るには、Johnの主張の穴を反例を挙げてどのように指摘しているか を読み取ることが必要だったんですね。 Daveの意図を自分なりに咀嚼すると、 では、コーヒーやブラックチョコが好きな人がいることはどう説明するんですか? あなたの定義だとこれらも苦いから毒ってことですよね? これらが好きな人は毒を好んで摂っているんですか?そんなわけないでしょう? ということだと理解しました。 JohnとDaveの主張に共通する大前提は「人間は毒を嫌う」ということであり 好きな人がいる以上、この前提に反するからコーヒーは毒ではない。 Johnもこの大前提の前ではさらに反論することはできず、 だからこそDaveの主張には説得力があるんですね。 丁寧な説明ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (1)

noname#204809
noname#204809
回答No.1

まず、もう少しニュアンスが正確に伝わる様な訳にしてみましょう。 John「毒には苦いのが多いから、みんな好きじゃないよね」 Dave 「おーい、誰か毒、いや違った コーヒーの事ね、飲みたい人いる? じゃなかったら強めのブラックチョコとかどう?」 という会話です。つまりコーヒとかブラックチョコとかを好む人がこの世の中にはいるので、「誰か食べない?」とJohnに当てこすりのつもりでDaveはその様に話したというシーンと考えるのが自然です。 上記の文脈の中ではコーヒーが有毒かどうかを議論していると考えるのは不可能ではないかもしれませんが、かなり無理があります。 従いアは間違いです。 すでに上記で説明の通り、苦いのは嫌いな人は確かに世間には多いけど、コーヒーやブラックチョコ等を好む人も多い。。。これを間接的に上記の様な言い方で多少皮肉まじりにDaveは言ったということです。従いエが正解です。 アメリカ的なジョークのワンシーンですね、この例は

mldqxp
質問者

お礼

ジョークとか皮肉は遠回しな言い方なのでなかなか難しいです。 気をつけるべき点としては、 感情がこもった表現なので、コーヒーやブラックチョコのような身近な例から共感しやすいことと、 反語表現は文字通りと逆のことを述べていることに注意してこれから読むようにしてみます。 回答ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 中学英語問題

次の文で、適切な語を1つ選ぶ問題で、答えがよくわかりません。 どなたか、解説もいっしょによろしくお願いいたします。 Some people ( ア live イ lived ウ to live エ living ) in Kyoto work in Tokyo.  以上です。

• 正誤問題

お願いします。 文中のア~エのうち、誤った英語を含んだ部分を選ぶ問題です。 (誤りがない場合もある) 1)He ア(took a taxi) to イ(the Tokyo Station) and was ウ(just in time) to エ(see his uncle off). 2)The girl ア(has gone) to Mexico City イ(by herself) ウ(a couple of) days ago to エ(join her family). 3)ア(A Mr. Johnson) called イ(during your absence). He ウ(wants) to discuss the schedule エ(for next month). 4)"You look ア(tired). Will you have イ(any coffee)?" "No ウ(thanks). That'll エ(keep me awake) all night." 1)イ(the Tokyo Station) → Tokyo Station 2)3)誤りは見つけられませんでした。 4)イ(any coffee) → some coffee よろしくお願いします。

• 英語の記号問題ですが…

文法項目別ではなく、問題形式別だったので、難しく感じました。 解いてはみたものの、自信がないです。時制や前置詞など曖昧なものもありました。 一言で結構ですので、解答とあわせて、訳や解説を何かつけていただけないでしょうか。 お願いします。 1 By the time the fire engine arrived,the house().   アalready burned down イhas already burned down ウhad already burned down エ     would already burned down 2 You ()such a book,however interesting it may be.   アhad better not to read イhad better not read ウhad better not reading エdidn´t    have better read 3 After going over the plan,we decided()finance.   アdiscussing イdiscussing about ウto discuss エto discuss about 4 I took off my shoes()make any noise.   アbecause I イin case I ウso that エso as not to 5 Upon returning from class,().   アthe mailbox had a letter in it イa letter was found in the mail box   ウI found a letter in the mailbox エa letter would be in the mailbox 6 If you keep the warranty of this DVD player, you can have it()for free.   アfixing イfixed ウto fix エto be fixed 7 Just()he is taller than you does not mean he is better at basketball.   アbecause イso ウas エlike 8 ()of my friends have been to Japan this year.   アNumerous イSeveral ウEach エEither 9 I will have finished the work()this time tomorrow.   アtill イsince ウby エuntill 10 We were waiting for him()a cup of coffee.    アto イon ウat エover 11 There were three other people at the meeting()Mr.Smith.    アbut イbesides ウalso エas well 12 Mary is expecting her uncle to arrive()September 15th.    アof イon ウat エin 13 ()my horror,a stranger peeped into the room through the window.    アFor イWith ウBecause of エTo 14 My father often enjoys()his colleagues after work.    アtalks イto talk ウtalking エtalking with 以上です。 

• 熟語の構成についての質問です。次の問題がわかるかたいらっしゃいますか?

熟語の構成についての質問です。次の問題がわかるかたいらっしゃいますか?どうか教えてください。 次の[ ]部分の熟語の構成と同じものを、あとのア~エから選びましょう。 (1) 会議が[円滑]に進む。 (2) [喫茶]店でコーヒーを飲む。 (3) 反対意見を[排斥]する。 (4) [病床]で注射をしてもらう。  ア 光明 イ 晩春 ウ 着席 エ 急激 (2)はウ、(4)はイだと思うのですが、(1)と(3)がわかりません。よろしかったら、解説してください。よろしくお願いします。  

• 会話表現の問題です。

分かっていそうな問題もありましたが、念のため、全問載せました。丸つけをしてみたいと思います。 各問題で、ポイントや、解答のカギとなるものがありましたら、一言でも結構ですのでつけていただけると、見直しに助かります。そして【B】の問題だけ、訳がほしいです。 特に知りたい問題は、【A】の5、6のような問題です。この見極めかたを知りたいです。どれか迷ってしまいます。 【A】 1 “I´ve caught a bad cold.”“That´s()bad.”   アvery イtoo ウa little エhardly 2 ()come and see me this evening?   アWhy don´t we イWhy don´t you ウLet´s エHow about 3 “Passport,please.”“()it is.”   アThere イYes ウHere エCertainly 4 “I like traveling alone.”“(),too.”   アSo イMe ウYes エMine 5 “Didn´t you go there?”“()”   アYes,I did. イYes,I didn´t. ウNo,I did. エNo,I didn´t. 6 “I met him yesterday.”“Oh,()?”   アare you イdon´t you ウdid you エdidn´t you 7 Please()yourself at home.   アmake イlet ウget エease 8 ()yourself to the cake,please.   アEat イGet ウHelp エTake 9 “May I take your order?”“()…I´d like the special lunch.”   アLet´s take it イLet´s not ウLet me see エLet you decide 10 I´ll()you very much when you are gone.   アremember イmiss ウsee エhit 11 There´s no need to be upset.Take it().   アsimple イcomfortable ウeasy エrelaxing 12 Who´s(),please?   アyou イtelephone ウname エcalling 13 The line is().   アtalking イfull ウbusy エcrowded 【B】 1 A:I wonder if the typhoon is coming.Will it stop raining soon?   B:()   アI´m afraid not. イI don´t think that. ウNo,I´m not. エYes,I have. 2 A:Takeshi,you have a phone call.   B:()   アGoing! イComing! ウGive me your number,please. エThank you,I will. 3 A:Excuse me.Do you have the time?   B:()   アNo,I´m free. イIt´s 3:45. ウTime is money. エSorry,I don´t have much time. 4 A:I´m nervous.I have a job interview tomorrow.   B:()   アGood job! イGood work! ウGood word! エGood luck! 5 A:Would you mind my opening the window?   B:(),not at all.   アCertainly イYes ウDo エNo 6 A:How come you are here?   B:()   アI come here on time. イI come here by train. ウI worked because the bus was    crowded. エBecause I am supposed to be here. 【C】 1 誰かに何かを言われたが、よく分からないので聞き返すとき。   アSame to you. イI beg your pardon? ウHow are things? エBless you! 2 友人のパーティーを楽しんだ後、おいとまするとき。   アThank you,I´ve had a great time. イThis party was very funny,thank you.    ウI´m sorry that I didn´t stay longer. エExcuse me for missing the party. 以上です。

• 接続詞の問題

接続詞の問題です。少し苦手な分野なので、良く分からない箇所もありました。できれば解説等があると助かります。お願いします。 1( ) I have already said, I don't eat fish. アAs イIf ウWhen エThough 2 I'm not going to sleep tonight ( ) I finish my homework. アby イduring ウuntil エsince 3Mary will have left here ( ) her boy friend gets her letter. アthat イby ウuntil エby the time 4We shouldn't keep dogs ( ) we can take good care of them. アif イunless ウwhen エwhich 5I'd rather have a room of my own, ( ) small it may be. アhowever イno matter ウeven if エwhatever 6( ) he is very late, he may have met with an accident on his way. アIf イSince ウWhy エWhether 7This food tastes terrible! I couldn't eat it ( ) I were starving. アafter イbecause ウeven if エonly when 8Let's take an express train ( ) we can get there 20 minutes earlier. アin order イso that ウsuch as エwhile 9Easter island is one of the most remote places from Europe. It was so remote and lacking in natural resources ( ) no formal colonial occupation ever took place. アbefore イthat ウin that エnow that

• 英語の問題です。

各問題に、訳と解答解説をつけてくださると助かります。 お願いします。 1 The air conditioner (), we had to take out our old fan from the closet.   アwas broken down イbroke down ウbeing broking down エhaving broken down 2 Wooden bridges are inferior () concrete bridges.   アfrom イto ウwith エin 3 There is no () in complaining any further.   アdoubt イpity ウpoint エpossibility 4 You´d better not work much ; () you won´t get over your fatigue.   アotherwise イunless ウso エtherefore 5 This is the () best book I´ve ever read.   アfar イmost ウmuch エvery 6 Mike goes fishing every Saturday () the weather is bad.   アexcept when イin spite of ウnevertheless エregardless of 7 He looked for a place ().   アfor how to sleep イin where to sleep ウin which to sleep エfor where to sleep 8 “Why are you so angry with him?”“He kept me waiting () two hours.”   アso long as イas long as ウvery long as エquite long as 9 This apple is not as delicious as () I bought yesterday.   アmuch as イsuch as ウit エthe one 10 I came () an old friend of mine at the station yesterday.    アover イup ウacross エat 11 I´ve run () of sugar. Will you give me some?    アfull イshort ウwant エlack 12 I was reading a book last night when Jane called ().    アme off イover me ウme up エat me 13 A fire broke () in my neighborhood last night.    アup イout ウover エinto 14 This country is so () that it takes no more than a day to drive around it.    アlarge イnarrow ウsmall エwide 15 “Is the tax () in the price?”“No. It will be added later.”    アexcluded イincluded ウconcluded エconnected

• 英語の問題です。

特に【A】と【E】が難しく感じました。 それぞれの問題で訳や何か重要なポイントなどを合わせてつけてくださると助かります。 お願いいたします。 【A】 1 Linda doesn´t dance much now, but I know she () a lot.   アwas used to イused to ウwould エwould have 2 The tourists were made () for more than six hours at the airport.   アwait イwaited ウto wait エwaiting 3 A seventeen-years-old is () to vote in an election.   アnot enough old イold not enough ウnot old enough エenough not old 4 John, () the news of the earthquake, couldn´t utter a word.   アshock at イshocking at ウshocked at エhaving shocked by 5 We were taught that the American Revolution () over in 1783.   アis イhas been ウhave エwas 6 Mother seems to be () on Monday, when she has lots of things to wash.   アbusiest イthe busier ウthe more busier エthe most busiest 7 () from the expressionon her face, she doesn´t seem to be very pleased with the result.   アSeem イLooking ウGuessed エJudging 8 I´m afraid Tom´s argument rests only on his imagination, not on ().   アfancy イfictions ウopinions エfacts 9 Look () the words in the dictionary whose meanings you don´t know.   アon イout ウup エwith 10 I was late because my car broke () on the way.   アup イin ウdown エby 11 The result fell short () our expectations.   アfrom イof ウfor エin 12 She took her guests into the kitchen to show () her new washing machine.   アoff イup ウaround エinto 【B】 1 Everyone laughed loudly when he appeared on the stage.   Everyone burst into () when he appeared on the stage. 2 I never see this picture without thinking of my high school days.   This picture always () () of my high school days. 3 We met her at the station by chance.   We () () meet her at the station. 4 He got quite angry with me when I broke his cup.   He () () temper with me when I broke his cup. 【C】間違いの指摘 1 The road remained (closing) for (more than) a week (owing) to the (heavy) snow. 2 This is the park (where) we (used to) (visit) (when young). 3 (That´s) (the way how) she (got) (out of) danger. 4 Jane is (much) (pretty) (than) (beautiful). 5 He was (long) lost (in) deep (thought) with his arms (folding). 【D】 1 It (be,remains,to,whether,seen) the new car will sell well. 2 He suggested (she,to,that,take,her,up) music lessons. 3 He (from,is,for,far,suitable) the job. 4 He speaks French, (say,English,nothing,to,of). 【E】次の英文と同じ内容を表すもの 1 Not all of his plans were accepted.   アThey didn´t take any of his plans. イThey turned down some of his plans.   ウThey accepted all of his plans. エAll of his plans were rejected. 2 He stops in from time to time.   アHe never comes to see us. イHe visits us occationally.   ウHe visits us ever hour. エHe hardly ever comes to stay. 3 We have something in common.   アIn two ways, we´re different. イIn one way, we´re similar.   ウIn no way are we identical. エIn some ways, we´re the some in appearance. 4 The trouble with Seth is that he always takes things seriously.   アSeth has trouble taking things seriously.    イIt´s a lot of trouble for Seth to take things seriously.   ウSeth takes things seriously, and as a result, gets other people into trouble.   エOne of Seth´s problems is that he takes things seriously. 以上です。

• 英語

1This is the very dictionary ( ) I have been looking for. アwhat イthat ウall エwhere 2He is one of the greatest pianists ( ) Japan has ever produced. アwhich イwhose ウthat エwhat  3He is a writer ( ) novels are very popular among young people. アwho イwhom ウthat エwhose 4Japanese people are great tourists. They usually visit places ( ) they haven't seen. アbecause イwhich ウwhere エwhat 5Anyone ( ) has stood in sunshine and then moved into shade knows that sunshine is warm. アwho イwhom ウwhose エwhich 6Thank you Keiko. This book is exactly ( ) I wanted. アwhat イwhich ウof which エthat 7Tom is no longer ( ) he used to be. アthat イwhich ウwhat エwhen 8In the eighteenth century, we had little idea of the effect ( ) industrial inventions would have. アthat イwhat ウwhen エwhy 9Genes, the basic parts of cells ( ) are passed eown from parents to children, may have something to do with human behaviour. アwhat イwhose ウwhich エwhere 関係代名詞(副詞)の問題です。 迷ったものが幾らかありました。

• Web-EDIについての問題、解説願います

Web-EDIを見たことも触ったこともない者です。 下記問題について、アが正解でエが間違いだ、ということなのですが、さっぱりわかりません。 この問題、やさしく解説をお願いします。 問題 ア 大量データの送受信では、従来のEDIの方が効率的であることが多い。 エ ユーザーインターフェースの向上がみられたものの、送受信可能なデータ形式は従来のEDIと変わらない。