A Daisy of an Accident: The First Real Electric Railroad in America

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In 1880, a group including Thomas Edison rode on the first real electric railroad in America.
  • During the ride, the train jumped the track, causing a humorous accident.
  • Despite the mishap, Edison and the passengers found the experience to be safe and enjoyable.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

和訳お願いします

Many were the train rides taken by the boys as well as by the numerous visitors arriving dailys to see the first real electric railroad in America. Of course there were accidents but none of a series nature,Iam happy to say.One June day in 1880,my former chief,G.P.Lowrey,was taken for a ride in company with Calvin Goddard,treasurer of the Edison Electric Light Company,of New York.Kruesi,who was the driver of the engine this time,put on the 'juice'and the train sped along with a velocity that brought a protest from Lowrey as they rounded a curve. Edison,who was with the party,smiled and said it was all right.'I'd rather you'd go slown on curves', said Lowreys as they were about to make the return trip.Kruesi, however,who wanted to make a good showing with such important guests,'soaked the juice'into the locomotive.As they ran a short curve the train jumped the track, Kruesi was thrown face down in the dirt and Force was shot into the underbrush after as fine a somersault as any circus athlete could turn.Edison was off in a second,laughing;it was a daisy of an accident,he said.That gave Kruesi courage, with dirt and blood over his face,he replied,'Oh yes,it's pairfeckly safe.' Lowrey delighted in relating this incident and in repeating with Kruesi's foreign accent,'Oh yes it's pairfeckly safe.'

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • ddeana
  • ベストアンサー率74% (2976/4019)
回答No.2

アメリカ初の本物の電気鉄道を見に行く為に、毎日少年達のみならず数多くの訪問者により、多くの者が列車の旅を享受した。勿論事故はあったが、幸せなことに、そのどれも直列が原因のものではなかった。1880年の6月のある日、私のかつての上司であるG.P.ロウリーがニューヨークにある、エジソン電気照明会社の会計係、カルヴィン・ゴダードとともに乗車した。この時、機関車の運転手だったクルージが、「電気」(※1)をつけると、列車は、カーブを曲がる時、ロウリーが文句をいう速度で加速した。 彼らと一緒だったエジソンは、微笑んで、問題ないよと言った。帰る頃にロウリーは「カーブではゆっくりの方がありがたい」と言った。しかし、そうした大事なお客様に良いところを見せたかったクルージは、機関車を電気で一杯にした。短かいカーブを走っていたので、列車は線路から脱線し、クルージは泥の中に顔から投げ落とされ、フォースはサーカス競技者が回転するのと同じほど見事な宙返りの後、藪の中に飛び込んだ。エジソンはちょっとだけ離れて、笑いながら「これは事故として一級品だな」と言った。その言葉は、泥と血のついた顔のクルージを勇気付け、彼は「ああ、その通りです。まったくもって安全です。」と答えた。 ロウリーはこの事故に関することと、クルージの外国訛りの「ああ、その通りです。まったくもって安全です。」を好んでなんども繰り返した。 ※1:juice 鉄道の俗語として、電気やガソリン、石油などの液体燃料を指します。

mangifera
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

毎日のように鉄道でやって来る少年たちや、アメリカ最初の本当の電気鉄道を見にくる見物客の数は多かった。言うまでもなく事故もあったが、さいわい大きな惨事には至らなかった。  1880年6月のある日、私のもと上司、G.P.ロウリーが、ニューヨークのエディソン電灯会社の会計だったカルビン•ゴッダードと一緒に乗車した。  その時(電気)機関車の運転に当たったクルエシは、出力全開で、カーブを切る時ロウリーが不満を漏らすほどの速力を出した。  一緒にいたエディソンは、微笑んで、心配ない、と言った。「カーブは少しスピードを落とした方がいい」と、帰り支度に当たってロウリーは言った。  しかし、大切な客人にいい所を見せたかったクルエシは、機関車に最大の電流をかけ、短いカーブで列車は脱線した。  クルエシは、土にうつぶせに投げ出され、、サーカスの芸人にも負けない鮮やかさで空中転回を演じた後、フォースは低木に叩き込まれた。  エディソンは、笑いながらすぐ立ち上がって「これは、第一流の事故だ」と言った。それに勇気づけられて、クルエシは、泥と血のついた顔でOh yes,it's pairfeckly safe「おー、イエス、まったく安全です」と答えた。  ロウリーは、この事故の話をし、クルエシの外国訛りの Oh yes,it's pairfeckly safe を繰り返すのを楽しんだ。 

関連するQ&A

• 和訳お願いします

'Then he showed me the lamps burning in the shop.He said they were obliged to keep them burning eight months before they could do anything. 'We then went into the glss-blowing department,a separate building,out back. Two men were at work there.Edison had enlarged the bulb of his lamp about 33 per cent and they were at work blowing them,and parts of these vacuum pumps. Edison is working a vacumm pump of glass entirely .They were putting some of the carbon horseshoe into the lamps.There was only one man at work putting the carbon in(Batchelor). 'From there I went into a photo-lithographic concern that Edison has just got up,and they were at work pictures.There was one picture of Edison surrounded bu about thirty-five of his workmen taken by this process;and they had a man at work with chemicals,etc.Every now and then my conductor would point out a lamp with remark,''How nice that is burning!''ect.Then he would turn a little screw to turn the light off or on.He couldn't regurate it intermediately.It was eighter all off or all on.I asked him if they could regurate to any intermediate point and he said they couldn't.''These horseshoe burn very well,''he said. '''Some of them burn on an average about 800 hours continuously.''My conductor then took me where the dynamo machines were working and showed me the engine which he said was 80HP-150,I should think,judging from the size of it.He said they had a hundred lamps burning,but I am positive there weren't over 50,even if as many as that,everywhere,in the shop and out of it;and to run them he had 3 dynamo machines worked by this engine,those big upright machines of Edison's,that my conductor said had a capacity of 50 lightseach

• 和訳お願いします

The operative then sums up by saying that Edison seemed dissatisfied and looked as if he had been sick.He thought Edison was all right but was a tool for his bankers,who wanted to make money out of the company. That there was great excitement and speculation in the district about Wall Street at the time,the following clipping(one out of many)proves:THE EDISON BOOM.HOW LONG,HOWLONG!!(under the above heading,The New York World in one of its early issues of January,1880,runs the following comment): Kirkland&Milliken,of 47 Williams Street,reported yesterday that speculators are anxious to trade in Edison Electric Light Company stock,and that investors are picking up five and ten share lots.Mr.Laportas,of the firm,said to a World reporter that two shares were sold vesterdav at $3,500 each,but that lots of ten shares, which are more desirable,are in strong demand and are worth $5,000to $5,000 a share.Our of the largest shareholders,who was offered $700,000 last week for 200 shares,was bid $800,000 cash last night,and says that he won't sell under $1,000,000.

• 和訳お願いします

Our narrative is still in the midest of the brilliant that were exciting interest during the early part of 1880,when Edison,harnessed to his work,was making rapid progress in commercialy perfecting his lamp. At that time Brush,Thomson,Houston and Weston were busy with their arc light system and none had faith in the little lamp that Edison had given to the world. That their disbelief was in error how well we now know! For the little lamp of high resistance that began to cast its glow in that day has kept on glowing everywhere, as does also the spirit of Edison its inventor. Our busy activities during that development period were now and then interrupted by some merry interlude.Occasionally the 'boys'played jokes on each other.Sometimes one of them who had become tried would seek a nap on a near-by table.While no one objected to a peaceful slumber,if the delinquent began to snore or attempted to imitate the chords of rhapsodies such as we now and then hear on the radio, things happened.Somebody would crash a heavy weight on the table;that stopped the snoring.As an alternative the snorer was sometimes treated to a whiff of concentrared spirits of ammonia which,too,was effective.

• 和訳お願いします

Here I mention another visitor,well known at that time,who appeared at the laboratory one day.His name was Hiram S.Maxim.He had made an arc lamp and generator which he exploited and which was known as the Maxim arc light system. He,too as I already mentioned,dabbled about wity an incandescent lamp idea in 1878 and like others had no success.His lamp was of very low resistance and possessed many other defects-it was simply an abandoned experiment of no practical value. Maxim was very much interested in what Edison showed him and the two spent almost a day together.Edison explained to him how the paper filaments were made and carbonized and all about the glass-blowing part.In fact,Maxim spent nearly two hours with Edison in the glass house where Boehm,Holzer and Hipple were working.He,too,like the 'celebrated electrician of Cleveland' took leave with the most touching cordiality.

• 和訳お願いします

I remember once when Kruesi brought in a thermopile whose alloy contained much sulphur;it was polished so brightly that it resembled gold. Edison, Upton,Batchelor and several others were seated about my testing table when Kruesi brought it.Edison took the bar from Kruesi weighed it up and down in his hand,and said to Upton,'We have it this who understood at once that a joke was coming. Kruesi appeared perplexed and inquisitive;before he could utter a word, Edison said,'I suppose the best thing to do now is to close up the whole ''shop and laboratory.'

• 和訳お願いします。

Nevertheless,disregarding the 'worry hunters'' the Pearl Strret Central Station was started on September 4,1882,and the Edison system and underground conductors service for decades.  Another somewhat similar incident of a different character happened at the corner of Nassau and Ann streets.As is known,Edison placed cast-iron junction boxes at the intersection of the streets,in connection with his underground conductors.Late one night when he was still at the station,a policeman came running in and in an excited voice said that the iron box at the above-mentioned corner had exploded.Edison and one of the 'boys' went there to see what had happened.He found that the cover on the manhole,which weighed about a couple of hundred pounds,had vanished,but everything inside the manhole was in good order.Edison concluded that gas from a gas main might have got into the manhole, or it might have been the acid used in picking the casting that gave off hydrogen that mixed with the air leaking in to make the explosive mixture.   The incident worried him;there were many such manhole boxes in the system,and if one should explode in a crowded street and life a few oersons into the air the company might be compelled to pay damages.Edison got his thinker in action and soon solved the problem.He placed a little bottle of chloroform with a small hole in the cork each box.The chroloform evaporated and, being heavy,settled in the box,displacing the air that may have got in.Edison said afterward that he had never heard of an explotion in a box that had a bottle of chloroform in it.

• 和訳お願いします。

I started studying Japanese language in 1974, in a Tokyo university with many other foreign students. Although the tests and lessons were well-designed, I was soon quite frustrated and dissatisfied with my progress in that situation. Most of my classmates were also non-Japanese, so the dangerous tendency was to speak in English or French outside of classes. Except for the small number who wanted to "brush up their English," the normal Japanese students refused to associate with the illiterate foreigners. I soon found that I had gravitated to a small group of Koreans and Hawaiians, who agreed to speak only in Japanese. However, I felt that my Japanese was not likely to improve much without native speakers as models. I was depressed by the number of Americans concerned only with obtaining as much money, sex, marijuana, or media-coverage as they could obtain during their year in Japan, rather than really trying to appreciate the culture in which they were guests. So I began to look around for a more isolated university which would admit and teach Japanese to foreigners, but without the problems of Tokyo's "international set."

• 和訳お願いします。

General Lefferts ,whom we have already mentioned,was extremely interested in the new motor and decided to go to Newmark to see it.Thinking it would be well to have Edison with him,he made arrangements to meet him Paine's shop. Here, then, at the appointed time Edison found the General Morse,Governor Cornell and others who had been invited.When the show was to begin Paine connected a battery wire with what were supposed to be the terminals of the motor. The motor began to spin and one of Paine's men began to saw large logs.Though old Professor Morse was so excited that he exclaimed:'Iam thankful to live to see this day,' Edison was incredulous.He began to examine the motor as best he could, since one part was boarded up.Holding his hand on the iron frame,he noticed a sort of throbbing that was in unison with the exhaust from a steam engine.He called this to the attention of the General, who then tried the same experiment. Paine simply used the baterry to signal to a confederate below the floor to switch a belt from a steam engine on or off the motor.

• 和訳お願いします

Maxim didn't run to New York and give his opinion to a newspaper,but went to his laboratory and began trying to make a lamp after Edison's ideas.He had no success,however,and after a few weeks sent to Menlo Park an emissary who got in touch with Boehm.It was also said that the agent approached another of our men.The deportment of Boehm changed perceptibly and soon begame suspicious. Hw was changing his allegiance to that of Maxim.In fact,he soon departed Menlo Park and entered that electrician's employ.This as far I am aware was the only defection that ever occured at our laboratory in those early days.In a few months Boehm managed to place the Maxim laboratory incondition so that it was able to produce some incandescent lamps that had their light-giving element made of paper.While at Menlo Park Boehm had had the oppotunity of watching all the various processes by which Edison made a practical lamp,and that acquired knowledge he imparted to Maxim.With the compensation he received,he was enabled to return to Germany and study.After receiving the degree of Ph.D. from the University of Freiburg in 1886,he returned to America.

• 和訳お願いします

I have never been able to find out who the parties were that employed this detective agency.If I may venture a guess,those interested in gas had something to do with it.It all shows the pitfalls that are laid for an inventor when paramount interests are at stake. It is thus no wonder that G.P.Lowrey counseled prudence in showing people round and at the same time took precautions without Edison's knowledge for the company's sake.Yes,Lowrey was ever on the watch,and as we approached the busy termination of work atMenlo Park,the Edison Electric Light Company knew perfectly well which men at the Park were loyal and which were not,even before Edison had any idea of it.It was one these gum-shoed gentleman whose report on Boehm caused the latter to leave Menlo Park with lightning rapidly.I remember one of this company's shadowers well;his name was Russell.He once got into a jam and was beaten so severely that he had to cover his whole back with a large porous plaster;his nickname after that was 'Porous-plaster Jim'.