• ベストアンサー

難関大学の英語の和訳

次の英文の解釈と和訳がわかりません。どなたか手伝ってください… even though she was told the treatment would give her one-in-four chance of surviving, because she knew the ravages of the treatment and didn't think the odds good enough to endure it.

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

even though ~であるけれども she was told 彼女は~であると聞いていた the treatment その治療(法)は would give her one-in-four chance of surviving 生存の可能性は4に対して1 (= 1/4 = 25%) である (だろう) because she knew the ravages of the treatment というのは、その治療による破壊のこと (組織あるいは臓器などが損傷を被るということ) を知っていたから and didn't think the odds good enough to endure it またそれに耐えるに十分な見込みがあるとは思っていなかった (から) 以上のように部分的に見ると、それぞれの部分はむつかしいものではないと思います。 一部の文しか示されていないので、文の流れが分からないので自然な感じでは訳すことができませんが (特に even though の前が分からないと日本語の文にしにくい。ここでは ・・・ としておきました)、何とかそれらしく訳してみました。  → 彼女はその治療によって生きながらえる可能性は1/4だと告げられてはいたが、・・・ 。というのは、彼女はその治療によって生体が損傷を被るということを知っており、それに持ちこたえるだけの可能性は低いと思っていたからである。

buru789
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 すべて、ベストアンサーにしたいところですが、より詳細なbakansky様をベストアンサーにいたしました。 大変参考になりました、今回はありがとうございました!

その他の回答 (1)

• Him-hymn
  • ベストアンサー率66% (3489/5257)
回答No.2

その治療で生きる望みが1/4あると告知されていたものの、(彼女はその治療を受けないことにした。)というのも、彼女はその治療法が破壊的なものであることを知っており、それに十分耐えられるだけの可能性があるとは思わなかったからである。 →たとえば、放射線で被曝させて体内を巡る血液の癌を殺すとかーーそういうものを想定して訳しました。 even thoughの前には、たとえば(彼女はその治療を受けないことにした・彼女は手術を拒んだ)のような部分があると思いますので、そのように訳してみました。 以上、ご参考になればと思います。

buru789
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 参考になりました。 ちなみに、元ネタは安楽死についての論文でした。

関連するQ&A

• 和訳お願いします

1.I ought not to tell my father the true state of his health. 2.He must be in because I can hear his radio. 3.Maria need not give up smoking, though I told her to many times.

• 英語質問

以下の文章を和訳して頂きたいです。 かなり困って居ます><宜しくお願いします。 (1)I had a sister who had diabetes.She died when she was 39. If she had lived a century ago, she would have been dead by the age of 14. Had she been born today, she probably would have lived a full life because gene therapy would soon be able to replace her defective ganes. My parents told me Andrea had diabetes when I was a high school student in California. And later, I learned Andrea would have the disease forever and would be taking shots every day of her life so she could live. I knew it was serious. Without insulin, Andrea's cells would die even though she had plenty of suger in her blood. Each day she would measure her suger level and them inject insulin into her thigh. (2)Time passed, and I went to Colorado Callege. Andrea went to the University of Southern California. I think that USC was a good choice for her. She went to classes, parties, and maintained her California blonde good looks. She graduated, married a lawyer-to-be, adopted a child because of repeated miscarriages due to her diabetes, and got divorced-a typical American story except for the diabetes. (3)Andrea, along with the rest of my family, remainded in California while I was moving about the country getting an education, as well as being a wife and mother of two children. I settled on the opposite side of the country in Buffalo, New York. (4)One day Andrea came to Buffalo. We soon learned she was going blind. She told us that only an operation would help her eyes. Her physicians did not hold out much hope because of her lifelong treatment with inslin; although it had saved her life, it had also caused malfunctioning in her circulatory system. Her eyes were only part of the problem; her entire cardiovascular system was compromised. The operation, in fact, would be dangerous. (5)My sister was adament. She had tired going to classes designed to help patients who were going blind. She said she would rather be dead than blind. She was going forward with the operation, which would be in a couple of weeks. (6)Andrea died on the operating table at the age of 39. It was cardiac arrest, not an uncommon fate for diabetics whose cardiovascular systems were compromised. She had visited me to say goodbye-except I did not know it.

• 英語の教科書の和訳が分かりません

lesson7 Mr.Hatakeyama was an oyster farmer. He raised oysters near Kesen-numa. But his oysters were damaged by pollution. He wanted to solve the problem,so in 1984, he visited oyster farms in France. There he learned that the leaves from trees enriched the soil on land. It made the sea water nutritious. He said to himself, "If the mountains didn't have a lot of trees, the people couldn't raise healthy oysters." Mr. Hatakeyama spoke to the other oyster farmers. "without clean sea water, good oysters can't grow. Where does the water come from? From the mountains! So we should grow trees on the mountains for the future of our oyster farms." At first they didn't understand. But little by little they came to support his movement. they planted different kinds of trees under the slogan,"The forest is the partner of the sea."many people around Japan, including school children , have joined this movement. Lesson8 The music started. It was the folk song Where Have All the Flowers Gone? Katarina Witt began to skate to the music. At first the music sounded violent and she expressed then cruelty and the ugliness of war. Then the music changed into a gentle and moderate tone. She expressed the importance of peace. Lastly, the music became dynamic again. She showed a strong-willed girl, who never gives up her hope. She finished her performance with this image. Katrina's skating was not as perfect as before. But the audience gave her great applause from the heart. They knew why she had come back to the rink. She had won her first gold medal in Sarajevo. However, there was a civil war and many people were killed. Katarina decided to express her sorrow for Sarajevo and her prayer for peace. Katarina said , "I don't think I can change the world only through sports. But I believe I can give some beautiful present to people through my performance."

• 和訳してください。

英語に詳しい方、翻訳機を使わずに和訳してください。 細かい部分がよく理解できません。 I trying to convince her that she didn't need to ask me for everything, that I wasn't always right about everything, that she should speak up and stand up for herself and argue with me when I had the wrong idea... but she just didn't want to learn. Deep down inside, I discovered, she was the sort of woman who wanted a strong man to dominate her, whom she could lean on and rely on for anything she needed. She wanted to feel safe and taken care of. I don't think that's a bad thing on its own... but over those years I started to become a man I don't want to be: arrogant, controlling, overconfident. Like I couldn't help but enjoy all that power she was always giving me. But I don't want to be that man. And I don't want to live that relationship. I *have* to be able to grow, to learn, to always be taking life as a new lesson, but how can I do that if I'm never wrong about anything? It was too tempting, and it made me a darker person. So, though I loved her very much and it tore my heart to do it, I had to end our relationship. I was not the man she was looking for, even though she wanted me to be. And she was not the woman I have been looking for, even though I desperately loved her beauty and inner light

• 文章を添削してください。

(1)I am sure, if she didn't hear these words, her pain could not be that bad. 「もしあの言葉を聞かなかったら(複数です)彼女の心の痛みはこれほどひどくはなかっただろう」 (2)No matter what she had a misunderstanding of that, she shouldn't have done it. 「それを誤解したかしないか関係なく、彼女はそんなことをするべきではなかった」 (3) She didn't accept all his opinion though, each person has each opinion. However, She was start thinking about this as it may be a one of a good options for her. 「彼女は彼のいい分(アドバイス)をすべて受け入れたわけではない。それぞれにそれぞれの考えがある。でも彼女はそれもひとつの選択肢なのかなと思い始めてはいた。」

• この英文添削をお願いします。

以下の私の英文チェックをお願いできますか? (1)だからこそ父の言葉は彼女の胸に響いた。 That's why her father's words have touched her heart. (2)父は自らそれを止めたと思っているだろうが、もともと彼女にはそれをしようという気持ちはなかった。彼は彼女の気持ちがわからなかったのだろうか?父は娘のことをわかっているようで、でもまだ彼女がどういう人物なのかわかっていなかったのかもしれない。 Her father thought he stopped it but that not true. She was not going to do it. Didn't he know how she felt? He believed that he knew his daughter very well and he thought he knew what kind of person she is, but actually not. (3)それでも彼女の父に対する感謝の気持ちは残っている。 Even if, her feeling of gratitude to her father is still remaining. (4)しかし彼女の混乱した気持ちを整理するには時間が必要だった。 However, she did have to take a time to comoise (?) her thoughts. すみませんがよろしくお願いいたします。

• 和訳お願いします!!

どなたか和訳お願いします!m(._.)m there is something strange though.... it seems you knew some of my friends before I met you including one of my students at my school haha! Anyways it would be nice to see you again some time

• 英語教科書の和訳です

英語教科書の和訳です。 一部分だけなので、文章の流れがよくわかりません。 A young man, a long scarf twisted around his neck, was standing outside the Curzon cinema, his muscular body supported on an umbrella that seemed on the point of snapping beneath his weight. It was not the young man seen in the train that evening but this one, too, had gazed at her on some occasion in the recent past, though she could not remember when or where. Now, too, he gazed at her as she passed: first at her legs, then at her face, then at her breast. Should she stop, making the photographs on display outside the cinema her excuse? For a moment she did so; and as she paused, the man himself straightened and began to wander over. But then, with a shake, she hurried on. Surprised, she realized that so far from this possible encounter filling her excitement, it had caused in her a jolting kind of strong disgust. 1. 最後の文ですが、 驚いたことに、この偶然の出会いが彼女の興奮を満たすよりむしろ、衝撃的な嫌悪感を彼女の中に引き起こした。 というような訳になるのでしょうか。 日本語らしくするのは、どのような訳がよいのでしょうか。 2. 構文は分詞構文でしょうか。 3. she realized that ~ ~を思い出した、でしょうか。 4. Should she stop, making the photographs on display outside the cinema her excuse? の訳は、写真を撮ることを言い訳にして、彼女は止めさせるべきでしょうか。 となるのでしょうか。 よろしくお願い致します。

• 英語 添削をお願いします

ちょっとした、ジョークを考えなくてはいけません。文法もですがおかしいところを直して教えていただけると助かります。よろしくお願いします。 One day an old woman came and spoke to me in French. I said to her in French with confidence. 『Je'ne parle pas de Francais』 She smiled and told to me in French more and more. This time, I got good luck and bad luck. Good luck is this. She understood my French. Bad luck is this. She didn't understand my feeling. Because the meaning of that sentence is I cannot speak French.

• 英語の質問です。

解答、訳をお願いします。 1.Linda talks () she knew everything about the styles of English painters. 1.as if 2.so that 3.even though 4.in case styles 特徴 2.It is high time you () to bed,John. 1.go 2.went 3.have gone 4.will go 3.() you had told it to me a week ago! 1.I wished 2.If 3.If only 4.Had 4.() I in your place, I wouldn't climb such a high mountain in bad weather. 1.Be 2.Were 3.Have been 4.Am 5.() of that important fact, I would have shown it to you. 1.I knew 2.Did I know 3.I had known 4.Had I known よろしくお願いします。