• ベストアンサー

わからない英文があります

American women watched the bright promise of the '60s turn into the harsh reality of the '80s, leaving them not so much new opprtunities as with new responsibilities piled on top of the old ones. この英文で使われている構文は何かわかる方いませんか? できれば説明ありで教えてください

noname#240282
noname#240282
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数11

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

> American women watched the bright promise of the '60s turn into the harsh reality of the '80s, leaving them not so much new opportunities as with new responsibilities piled on top of the old ones.  簡略化すると、   American women watched X leaving them not so much A as with B.  という文になるかもしれません。  この文で them = American women です。  そして学習者の方の場合には、not so much ... as ... というところに注目すべきでしょう。  not so much A as B という形では、見たところ not という否定的な要素が A にかかっているように見えます。だから、B > A ではないかということが想像がつきます。  「B ほどには A でない」 とか、いくつか訳し方があるようですが、それは辞書に譲ります。  文の前半は   > American women watched the bright promise of the '60s turn into the harsh reality of the '80s  X watched A B という構文。[主語 + 動詞 + 目的語 + 補語] でしょうか。もしそうなら第5文型ですね。  「X は A が B するのを見る」 というよくあるタイプの文です。  → アメリカの女性たちは60年代の明るい見通しが80年代になって厳しい現実に変わるのを見た。  後半は   > leaving them not so much new opportunities as with new responsibilities piled on top of the old ones  この部分は前半につながって American women watched X leaving Y. (アメリカの女性たちは X が Y のまま放置されるのを見た) という形になっています。  leaving は分詞構文というのでしたっけね、付帯状況なんかを表すアレです。  → 女性たちに十分といえるだけの新しい機会を与えるどころか、これまで引き継いできた旧来の責任にさらに新たな負担を負わせただけだ。

noname#240282
質問者

お礼

回答ありがうございます 参考になりました

関連するQ&A

• わからない英文があります

"Are the only 'real Catholics' in America the priests decrying the new Obama administration policy and the 2% of U.S. Catholic women who rely only on 'natural' birth control? Who is to speak for the other 98%?" この英文の意味を教えてくださいm(__)m

• heap on

"In the central granary of the government, new grain was heaped on top of the old until the building was full and the grain overflowed and piled up outside, where it spoiled and became unfit to eat." heap onってなんですか?

• 下記の英文を訳してくださる方はいませんか?

Intelligence Neugarten (1976) has summarized the known facts about aging and intelligence as follows: a. Speed of responding declines with age. One consequence is that the elderly will perform especially poorly when the test is given under speeded conditions. b. Chronological age is not a good predictor of performance. c. Old people who remain physically and mentally active perform better than those who become inactive. d. Educational level predicts performance in old age; the higher the educational attainment, the better the performance. e. Intellectual decline seems to be inversely related longevity; the less bright die younger. f. Intellectual decline is greater in old men than in old woman. お願いします。

• 下記の英文(オバマ大統領に関する英文)に関する質問にお答えできませんで

下記の英文(オバマ大統領に関する英文)に関する質問にお答えできませんでしょうか? 英文レベルが高くて意味の伝わる訳出ができません。どうかお願い致します。 便宜上、段落ごとに番号を振りました。 ■ A first family that looks like America - Obama-Robinson clan crosses ethnic, religious and linguistic lines When president Barack Obama was sworn in Tuesday, he was surrounded by an extended clan that would have shocked past generations of Americans and has redrawn the image of a first family for future ones. ・・・・(1) As they convened to take their family's final step in its journey from Africa: through slavery to the slave-built White House, the group seemed as though they had stepped right out of the pages of Obama's memoir ――no longer the disparate kin of a young man wondering how he fit in, but the embodiment of a new president's promise of change ・・・・(2) ”Our family is new in terms of the White House, but I don't think it's new in terms of the country, ” said Maya Soetoro, the president's younger half-sister , in an interview last week. ”I don't think the white House has always reflected the textures and flavors of this country." ・・・・(3) Obama follows former President George W.Bush, who had a presidential son's self-assured grip on power. Aside from a top-quality education, the new president came to politics with none of his predecessor's advantages: no famous last name, no deep-pocketed parents to finance early forays into politics and , In fact, not much of a father at all. So Obama built his political career from scratch, with best-selling books and long-shot runs for office, leaving his relatives 「astonished」 at where he has brought them. ・・・・(4) 質問A:(1)~(4)文章の要約(=つまり何を言っているのか? どういうことかを言っているのか?)を日本語でお願いします。 質問B:(4)の文章の「astonished」の指すのは何かをお願いします。指す部分を英語と日本でお願いします。

• 英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を助けてください

英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を教えていただきたいです よろしくお願いします!! The position of the new baths, like the old, was strategically chosen to benefit as large a slice of the urban population as possible. They served the northern and western quarters, leaving the Stabian baths to cater to dwellers in the centre and east. It is interesting that both sets of baths were fitted in irregular insulae, which straddled the transition between the old quarter of the city and the more regular developments to the north and east. If, as Eschebach argues, there was formerly some kind of physical boundary or pomerium round the old quarter, these blocks may have been relatively sparsely built up, thus providing the only feasibile sites which were both centrally positioned and large enough to accommodate the baths. The buildings of the colonists made an important mark on Pompeii’s public landscape; they set the stamp on its transformation from the Hellenized Samnite city of the second century BC to the Roman city of the early Imperial period.

• 英文チェックお願いします

うちの地区の新しい福祉制度の一つです。 近くの小学校から一人暮らしのお年寄りの家に手書きの年賀状が一枚届くんです。 うちのおばあん家にもこれが届いてました。 自分が年取ったときたくさんこんなような制度があったら楽しそうって思えるのって大事ですよね。 特にさみしい老後を送ってそうな私にとって心強いですよ。 theres a one of new welfare programs in my direction that primary school children send a new years day card to the house wichi old people live single. this s sent to my grandmas house. what we can imagine of a lot of fun programs like this in our own future is so nice things. especially me would send lonly in my old age, its so heartening.....! イギリス圏で英語を勉強した。 イギリスではこういう言い方あるよ、これ間違ってる!などいろいろな表現を教えて頂けたら嬉しいです。 口語表現もわかる方がいましたら是非お願いいたします。 もちろんアメリカでの表現でもかまいません。 宜しくお願い致します。

• 英文を訳して下さい。

At 10:30, the general mounted advance began and by midday, was on a line from west of Bir Nagid to south of Katib Gannit; in the centre the New Zealand Mounted Rifles Brigade were approaching the south-west edge of the Katia oasis; on their left the 1st, the 2nd Light Horse, the 5th Mounted Brigades and infantry in the 52nd (Lowland) Division were attacking Abu Hamra, to the north of the old caravan road, while the 3rd Light Horse Brigade was away to the New Zealander's right, south of the old caravan road, attacking German and Ottoman units at Bir el Hamisah. Between 12:00 and 13:00, the commanders of the New Zealand Mounted Rifle, 1st and 2nd Light Horse and 5th Mounted Brigades reconnoitred the German, Austrian and Ottoman rearguard position 2 miles (3.2 km) west of Katia.

• 以下の英文を訳して下さい。

Since the 1867 Treaty of London, Luxembourg had been an explicitly neutral state. The Luxembourg Crisis had seen Prussia thwart France's attempt to purchase the Grand Duchy from the Netherlands. Luxembourg's neutrality was accepted by Prussia's then-Chancellor, Otto von Bismarck, who boasted, "In exchange for the fortress of Luxembourg, we have been compensated by the neutrality of the country, and a guarantee that it shall be maintained in perpetuity." In June 1914, Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to the thrones of Austria-Hungary, was assassinated by pan-Slavic nationalists, leading to a sudden deterioration in relations between Austria-Hungary and Serbia. Austria-Hungary was supported by the German Empire, whilst Serbia had the backing of the Russian Empire. On 28 July, Austria-Hungary attacked Serbia, which, in turn, required the mobilisation of Russia, hence of Germany, thanks to its responsibilities under the Dual Alliance.

• 英文和訳

"We have to talk." To women, usually the ones saying this to men, these four words are often an expression of a desire to connect, to address something with a man on a deeper, more satisfying level. It often means, "Let's get together and see if we can move things to a better place." Saying this to a man can feel dangerous. As one woman put it "Get ready for World War Three" To men, these may be among the most feared words in the language. They often stimulate what we call male relational dread. One man's response was,"Let me out of here!" Another man said, "To me those words mean : `Next stop,divorce.`" These words often mean somethings quite different whwn they are said to someone ofthe same genger. When women say to other women,"We have to talk," it can mean a multitude of things. If the other woman is someone new with whom the woman feels friendly, it can mean,"Let's get to know each other." If it's an old friend whom she hasn't seen for a while, it can mean, "Let's catch up - do I have things to tell you!" And if it is a friend with whom she is in frequent, even daily contact,it can mean,"Wait till you hear this. I've got to tell you about last night." Men rarely say this to other men. When they do, sometimes it has a sense of invitation, as in, "Hey, let's catch up!" But often it has the connotation of "You're in big trouble with me.Get ready for a hassle." Gender differences in the meaning of these words start early. In our gender dialogues between seventh-grade boys and girls, their comments and questions often focus on "talk" : BOYS: Girls talk for most of the conversation so we don't have to talk. GIRLS: How come boys don't talk first? How these gender differences can be used in dialogue to heal the relationships between women and men is the topic of our discussion.

• よろしくお願いします

Your predecessor Ann Landers published a poem called "Dead at Seventeen" to get the attention of new drivers and impress upon them the dangers and responsibilities of driving a car. Might you have that on file somewhere? I have a 17-year-old granddaughter with a new driver's license, whom I'd like to see it. Might you haveはDo you happen to haveみたいな意味でしょうか?あと、whom I'd like to see itが文法的に分かりません。whomの後に完全な文体があるのはOKなのでしょうか?whomはgranddaughterにかかっているのですよね?I have a 17-year-old granddaughter with a new driver's license, whom I'd like to see it.全体の意味もよろしくお願いします