英文の意味が分からず、so thatの意味も分かりません

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 英語初学者が理解できない英文の意味と、特に「so that」の意味について質問しています。
  • 質問者は、自分の犬があちこち走り回っていて、どのソファ、椅子、ディヴァン、オスマンでも泥や唾液がついてしまい、服を汚さずに座ることができない状況だと述べています。
  • 質問者は、この英文の内容や「so that」の使われ方について助けを求めています。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

この英文の意味を教えてはいただけないでしょうか?

こんにちは。 お世話になります。 英語初学者です。 下記に挙げます英文の意味が分からず、困り果てております。 And my dogs,my big wonderful dogs running everyshere, getting their muddy paws on every couch, chair, divan, and ottoman in sight so that it is simply not possible to sit down without getting spittle or mud on one's clothing. 一体、何と書かれているのでしょうか? 特に、so thatの意味がよく分りません。 どなたか、お力を貸してはいただけないでしょうか? よろしくお願い申し上げます。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.2

> And my dogs, my big wonderful dogs running everywhere, getting their muddy paws on every couch, chair, divan, and ottoman in sight so that it is simply not possible to sit down without getting spittle or mud on one's clothing.  質問者さまは、この英文を読んで、どのような状況を想像されましたでしょうか。  要するに犬が部屋の中を走り回って、家具を泥だらけにしたという、そういう状況です。それが分かれば十分だと思います。  しかし so that ... というのは、文法的に重要そうに見えて、いかにも気になりますね。  辞書は引いてみられたと思いますが、前後関係から見ても 「それゆえに」 くらいの意味だと予想がつくのではないでしょうか。つまり、A so that B という文の形で、A が原因で、その結果として B があるという形。前後が原因と結果の関係になっていると見ればいいのではないかと思います。  名詞は辞書を引けば分かるでしょうが、spittle などという単語は、今では見かけないようなもの (普通は動詞と同じ spit という語を使う) のように思えます。

jiqimao80
質問者

お礼

誠に丁寧かつ詳細なご回答、本当に有難うございます。 実は、辞書を自分なりに引いてみたのですが、よけい、こんがらがってしまったのです。多分、他の方から見たら些細な単語なのだと思うのですが、どうしても気になってしまったのです。 ご解説を拝見し、全て合点がいきました。 本当に有難うございました。

その他の回答 (1)

• KoalaGold
  • ベストアンサー率20% (2539/12475)
回答No.1

それに僕の犬が、大きくてステキな犬があちこち泥だらけの足で目に入るソファや椅子、長椅子やオットーマン全部を走り回るから、よだれや泥を避けて座ることなんかまず無理。 so thatは「だから」

jiqimao80
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 和訳下さり、誠に有難うございます。 和訳と本文を対照させ、意味をつかむことができました。 本当に有難うございました。

関連するQ&A

• わからない英文があります

They found it very difficult to dive in the muddy water of the bay. ''In the sea of Alexandria,'' said one diver, ''what you need is ears rather than eyes. You could see only 50 centimeters in front of you.The ruins were covered with sand, and mud kept flowing from the Nile. Just diving and mud swimming raised the mud on the seabed and made things worse." Just diving and mud swimming raised the mud on the seabed and made things worse."という英文はどういう意味かわかりません。どなたかわかる方、解説付きで教えてくださらないでしょうか?

• 意味を教えてください

My daughter was born on Christmas Eve. From the time she was 5 and able to recognize that her birthday cards were getting scrambled in with the other holiday cards, we started celebrating on June 24 -- her half-birthday. getting scrambled inの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• この英文の意味を教えてください。

What was the experience like? I see it as a very positive thing. I think it’s an honor to play on all those other people’s records. And even if sometimes it took away from my own personal time, I think that only made me more anxious to do my own things. So when I finally did get the chance, I was full of ideas and motivation. and even if 以降がどうもあやふやです。何が言いたいのでしょうか・・・。 ほかの人とプレイすることによって自分の時間を失うことがあったけど、不安といえるのはそれくらいなもんだった。 こんな感じですか?その続きのso when以降もお願いいたします。

• わからない英文があります

"Ponytail courtesy of having used this awful new Garnier conditioner that turned my hair into what felt like a superglued mass affixed to my head. This ended up being depressing when my fingers kept getting stuck or my hair tosses abbreviated so I braided it upwards and pulled it back in defeat. " -superglued mass -my fingers kept getting stuck -my hair toses abbreviated の意味を教えてください。

• 英文の意味を教えて下さい。

アメリカのネットショップで小物を購入しました。発送はいつですか?インボイスは完成しましたか?と質問していました。返事がきたんですがちょっと意味がわかりません。 すみませんが意味を教えてくれませんか?お願いします。 I am sorry for not getting back to you any earlier but your order has not been packed yet. My regular packer is not here, he will be in tomorrow so I am hoping to have your order ready by the end of this week. I will put the sticker on with the country of origin on and on the invoice as well. Is there any other documents that should be presented to the customs or is it just the invoice with the country of origin?

• 英文の意味を教えて下さい。

海外のサイトで手作りの石鹸を見つけました。欲しいので日本に発送してくれるか?成分はどんな成分か?サンプルはもらえるか?等と質問をして返事が来ました。 すみませんが意味を教えてくれませんか?お願いします。 I do sell samples- they ate listed in my store under the samples category. I do ship internationally but you would need to pay shipping. All my ingredients are listing in every listing. I used to carry detergent soaps but are phasing them out and only purchase detergent-free base now. Because of FDA regulations, I cannot legally say anything more that my soap washes. I cannot say that it moisturizes or helps dry skin. I also cannot say that it helps with any medical conditions such as eczema, etc. I can only simply state that it washes. FDA had tough rules on that. Although I would love to supply soap to you on a regular basis, at this time, I'm not able to make more than what I have as we're moving in 5 weeks and I got a new job working 58 hours a week so that keeps me too busy to find time to make soap right now. If you'd like to contact me in a few months and see if things have changed, that would be fine.

• 文の構造について教えてください。(CNNニュースより)

文の構造について教えてください。(CNNニュースより) "Some days it's so hard to deal that the best I can do is sit on the couch and pull the covers up over my head," Nick said. "But at the end of the day, I know I have to get up and keep fighting for Morgan.'' it's so hard to deal that ~ itは、to以下、又はthat以下を指すのではと考えました。しかし、deal that~というのはないので違うと思いますし、it はthat以下というのも無理があるような気がします。 このdealはどうつながるのでしょうか?  また、so that構文も頭をよぎりましたが、そうするとitが何を指すのか、分かりません。 どうぞ、この文の構造についてご教示くださいますようお願い申し上げます。 http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/18/grace.coldcase.morgan.nick/index.html#fbid=hAvTbrYJmy-&wom=false

• 英文を訳してください。

"It's the way you jump to conclusions so that when you look up 'numbness' on the Internet, you see motor neuron disease or multiple sclerosis and you don't notice muscle tension or simply sleeping on your hand," この英文を訳せる方いらっしゃいませんか? 「それはその方法である、あなたが結論にジャンプするための、つまりインターネットで無感覚を見つけたとき、あるいは筋肉の病気をみたとき、さらに硬化症を見たとき、そしてあなたは筋肉の緊張に気がつかず、あなたの手の上で単純に眠っている。」 特に and 以下が全く意味がつかめません。 よろしくお願いします。

• 以下の英文の意味を教えてください。ヨロシクお願いします。

以下の英文の意味を教えてください。ヨロシクお願いします。 At the age of fifty, and with a dozen or so books published, it does not see tautologous to say that I write because I am a writer. To stop writing, not to write, is now unthinkable―or perhaps it is the secret fear to assuage which one goes on writing. My sense of my own identity is so intimately connected with my writing that if I ceased to write I should become, in Orwellian language, an unperson to myself.

• どのような意味でしょうか

I’m a 25-year-old woman getting married in the summer. My mother is very old-fashioned and proper, and does not believe in sex before marriage. She also believes that my husband and I are virgins and will remain that way until our wedding night. Both of us have been sexually active since high school! My older sister told me that my mom is planning on giving me a sex talk and explaining how everything works and “how to please a man” before my wedding. I would like nothing less than to listen to my mother explain sex to me, would like nothing less than toはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします