thisとitの違いについて

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Hanson, too, is often described as overstating the speed with which machines could replace humans and the accelerated economic growth this would cause.
  • thisとitの違いについて、具体的に理解できていない。thisがどの要素を指すのか判別できない。なぜthisはthe speedを指すのか疑問。itとthisを置き換えると意味が変わるのか知りたい。
  • Hanson is known for exaggerating the impact of machines replacing humans and the resulting economic growth. The use of 'this' in the sentence refers to 'the speed' at which machines can replace humans. Understanding the difference between 'this' and 'it', and why 'this' is used instead of 'it', is still unclear.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

this と it の違いについて

Hanson, too, is often described as overstating the speed with which machines could replace humans and the accelerated economic growth this would cause. この文の this は it に書き換えられますか? いまいち、it と this の違いがわかりません。 そして、なぜthis がthe speed を指していると判別できるのでしょうか? this はmachines かもしれないし、humans かもしれませんよね? economic growth かもしれないし。 なぜ this は the speed を指すのでしょうか? そして なぜ、it じゃなく this なんでしょうか? this の部分にit を代わりに置いたら意味は違ってくるのでしょうか? 教えて下さい。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

this で「このまとまり」というのがないでもありませんが、 普通、machines/humans のような複数なら these となるはず。 それはおいておき、 overstate の目的語として the speed with which machines could replace humans と the accelerated economic growth this would cause 機械が人にとって代わるというのは一般に考えられることで、 誇張しているというのは、そういう取って代わる速度であり、 そういう取って代わることが引き起こす経済成長について。 こういう対比から考えても、this は the speed とはなりません。 もちろん、この speed は相対的な「速度」から、絶対的に「速い」と言っています。 その「速いこと」、「機械が人に取って代わるのがいかに速いか」ということが 経済成長をもたらす、といってもよさそうですが、 実際には経済成長をもたらすのは取って代わること自体で速さではありません。 the speed でそういう取って代わることを含めて言っているという説明はできます。 しかし、やはり、構造上の対比として、 the speed ... and the accelerated economic growth ... とある。 accelerated から、なおさら the speed の方、と思うかもしれませんが、 やはり、そういう加速化のもとにあるのは「取って代わること」自体です。 it にも this にも、そういう「機械が人に取って代わること」という内容的なことを表す機能はありますが、日本語で直前の内容を指す「このこと、そのこと」というのは it より、this がふさわしいです。

sayaka-kawano
質問者

お礼

わかりやすく説明してくださってありがとうございます。 BAにさせていただきます。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

理由を説明しようと思ったのですが、 この this は the speed ではなく、 machines could replace humans という内容です。 「機械が人間に取って代わる」こと。 その1つの理由が the speed なら、 the speed (with which ~) なら、 it を使うでしょうね。

関連するQ&A

• describe A as B の変形について

Hanson, too, is often described as overstating the speed with which machines could replace humans and the accelerated economic growth this would cause. この文の構文を教えて下さい。 describe A as B の変形 describe as B A  で良いでしょうか? Aはthis でしょうか? その際、this が指しているのは何でしょうか? with which は前置詞+関係代名詞ですよね? 先行詞はthe speed ですよね? replace A and B  AとBを取り替えるでいいでしょうか? この文を詳しく構文をとっていただけませんでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• どなたか以下の文を教えてください。

Mainstream ecconomists dismiss these predictions, saying there is little objective data supporting them. They claim Ford fears change and, cosequently, exaggerates the negative effects of progress. Hanson, too, is often described as overstating the speed with which machines could replace humans and the accelerated economic growth this would cause. 英検準一(2014第一回)の長文から写しました。 Ford, Hansonは人の名前です。 「彼等はこう反論する。Fordは変化を恐れ、それゆえ発展のネガティブな影響を大げさに言っている。Hansonも機械が人に取って代わるスピードと、これを引き起こすであろう加速する経済成長を大げさに言っていると」 こんな意味合いだと思います。 わからない点はthis would causeの部分です。 関係詞が前に省略されていると思いますが、このthisはいったい何を指すのでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• 文(句、節)を指すItとThat,Thisの違い

(4)前に出た句や節、文の内容をさす [ロイヤル英文法p.176] ・I'd like to go on a trip to Europe, but I cannot afford it. (=to go on a trip to Europe) ・Railroad service was suspended. They told me it was because of a landslide. (itは前文の内容) (3)this, that が先行する文(の一部)の内容をさす場合 [ロイヤル英文法p.197] ・To be or not to be : that is the question. ・They will surely help Tom. That will please his mother. ・"I've caught a cold."  "That's too bad." ・We see him taking a walk, but this isn't very often. It,That,Thisはセンテンス全体を指せるようですが、それぞれの違いはなんですか?

• 和訳お願いいたします。

Vending Machines Japan is well known for its vending machines. In fact, it could be called the vending machine capital of the world. No matter where you are in japan, you're only a step or two away from a vending machine. Streets and buildings are overflowing with them. Thirsty? Oh, there's a hot and cold drinks machine right there. This is definitely not the case in most other countries, though. You seldom see a vending machine in public places. Japanese, when they travel abroad, often find this lack of vending machines very inconvenient. Why have vending machines become so popular in Japan? Limited space, the dense population, and low crime rate have all been pointed out as reasons. Behind the convenience of Japan's vending machines lie some serious problems. Some sell cigarettes and beer, so even teenagers can readily buy them. Vending machines also raise concerns about the environment. Critics say they consume too much energy and waste resources. And, if you ask me, they're ugly, too.

• 文法 (it 構文)

"It's thrilling to see these kinds of results," said Dr. Jeanne Miranda, a professor of psychiatry at the University of California, Los Angeles, who was not involved in the study. "I do this kind of therapy in person, and it is often very hard getting some people to come in; they want the help but are just too busy to find time in their schedule, and on the phone they can do it on their time." 下から4行目の getting を to get と置き換えることが出来ますか。  仮主語のit構文で 主語に不定詞を使うか動名詞を使うかはどのように選択するのですか? 出典は8月25日のNYTです。

• it couldn't hurt to doの意味

英語のアニメを観ていて分からないところがありました。 //ゲーセン、UFOキャッチャーの前での友人同士の会話// A: Yeah, this little guy is an easy one to grab. B: Really? ( If it's that easy to get one, maybe if I tried it...) A: "...I could get one too." Is that what you were thinking? B: No! What are you talking about? I wasn't thinking anything! But I guess it couldn't hurt to just try this one time. /////////////////////////////////////////////// 会話最後の行の 「But I guess it couldn't hurt to just try this one time.」は、 「でも、今回だけやってみてもいいかな」のような意味になると思うのですが 1)「it couldn't hurt to ~」は「~してみも良い」という意味ですか? 2)似た表現に「It doesn't hurt to」を見つけました。同義ですか?   http://www.eigo-de.net/2006/06/it_doesnt_hurt_to … よろしくお願いします。

• 空所補充問題で・・

高校生に聞かれてわからなかった問題です。 (1)I miss the happy days (    ) we spent together in California. when ではなく which が正解なのはなぜですか? (2)Thisis (   ) we can become acquainted with one another. how ではなく which なのはなぜですか? (3)I was more angry than frightened. angrier が間違いなのはなぜですか? (4)If you work too long without a rest, it will (    ) on you. 正解は tell になっていましたが、納得がいきません。 fall ではないかと思うのですが、違いますか? (5)This is (   ) hot spring resorts are places where they go for mental relaxation as well as for phisical rest. because が正解で why が間違いなのはなぜですか? (6)(   )it be true that he commited suicide ? can が正解でしたが、could ではいけませんか? (7)Considering his laziness, it is surprising that he (   ) have past the test. 正解は should でしたが、could ではいけませんか? (8)We spent a week in Malta, a small sunny island (   ) inhabitabts are very friendly, 正解は whose ですが、where ではいけませんか? (9)Too many sweets ( to, your, decay, the teeth, cause) cause your teeth to decay が正解ですが、cause decay to your teeth ではいけませんか? ちょっと質問の数が多いですが、よろしくお願いします。

• itとthisの違いがよく分りません

こんにちは。 お世話になります。 英語初学者です。 英文を読んでいたら、 This is fun. This is a magic adventure. と、Thisを使っている表現が会話の中でよく出てくるのですが、 上記のThisは、Itに置き換えることは可能でしょうか? それとも、置き換えた場合は、意味が変わってくるのでしょうか? どなた、教えては下さいませんでしょうか? 宜しくお願いいたします。

• どなたか次ぎの和訳を教えてください

Remember, too, that often you will want umpires and linesman for a match in which you are playing, and only by doing this for others can expect them to do it for you.

• 英語の和訳お願いします。

Paxman: "Conrad, hi. I can't hear you. So, how many people did it take to run one of these looms?" Conrad Varley: "In this particularshed, it actually varied. This one they ran eight looms. That's one , two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight." Paxman: "So one person has control of eight?" Varley: "One person ran eight looms. So she's actually kept going all the time. It was a very, very hard job. A very hard job." Paxman: "I should have thought rather dangrous, too. If you're running eight machines and something goes wrong on one of them, could be behind you, could be anything." Varley: "It could. And the main danger being if the belt broke." Paxman: "It's leather, isn't it?" Varley: "It is, yes. You couldn't stop all the machinery, so it had to be repaired in situ. Now, if there was a protrusion, shall we say there, it could catch your sleeve. It'd take you round the shafting." Paxman: "Are you serious?" Varley: "I'm serious." Paxman: "You mean pulled..." Varley: "Pulled round, and there's quite a few. Quite a few was killed by going round the shafting. You didn't often come down in one piece, to be honest."