ダンブルドアの言葉から見えるハリーの危険

このQ&Aのポイント
  • "君がどんなに危険な状態にあるかを認識しておったのは、わしだけだったじゃろう。"
  • "あやつを知るわしとしては"
  • "私は君が殺されるまで彼が休むことはないということを確信していました。"
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

この英文は、どう解釈すればよいでしょうか?

こんにちは。 Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix [UK, adult版]p.917 下の方のダンブルドアの会話からです。 少し長いですが、引用させていただきます。 ハリーをなぜハリーの母親の妹の家に預けたかをダンブルドアが説明している部分の一部です。 "My answer is that my priority was to keep you alive. You were in more danger than perhaps anyone but I realized. Voldemort had been vanquished hours before, but his supporters – and many of them are almost as terrible as he – were still at large, angry, desperate and violent. And I had to make my decision, too, with regard to the years ahead. Did I believe that Voldemort was gone forever? No. I knew not whether it would be ten, twenty or fifty years before he returned, but I was sure he would do so, and I was sure, too, knowing him as I have done, that he would not rest until he kill you." 質問は2点あります。 1. "You were in more danger than perhaps anyone but I realized."について 日本語訳では "君がどんなに危険な状態にあるかを認識しておったのは、わしだけだったじゃろう。" とあるのですが、なぜこのような日本語訳になるのでしょうか? "You were in more danger than perhaps anyone." だと "君は他の人よりもっと危険な状態にあった" となると思うんですが、そこに"but I realize"がつくとなぜ上記のような訳になるのか教えてください。 2. " I was sure, too, knowing him as I have done, that he would not rest until he kill you."について この文の" knowing him as I have done"に関してです。 日本語訳では"あやつを知るわしとしては"となっているのですが、やはり、なぜこのような意味になるのかわかりません。 "knowing him"(あやつを知っている)、as (~のように)、I have done と分けて考えてみたのですが、最後の I have doneはどう解釈すればよいのでしょうか? 教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Him-hymn
  • ベストアンサー率66% (3489/5257)
回答No.3

質問1の答 もし"You were in more danger than perhaps Ron realized."ならーー →Ronが(危険だと)気づいている以上に君は危険な状態にあった。 You were in more danger than perhaps anyone realized. →どんな人が危険だと気づいている以上に、君は危険な状態にあった。 ★anyone elseとしていないので、この場合は、ハリー自身を含むからです。ハリーも含めて、誰もハリーがいかに危険か気づいていないーーという意味になります。 You were in more danger than anyone but I realized. →私以外のどんな人が危険だと気づいている以上に、君は危険な状態にあった。 →どんな人が気づいているよりも、君が危険な状態にあったかは、私だけが気づいていた。 ★この場合、ダンブルドア以外の人は、そこまで危険だと気づいていないのです。anyoneの中からダンブルドア自身を差し引いて言っています。ということは、彼だけが気づいているということになります。そして、この文にperhapsが入れば、お示しの文になるということです。 質問2の答    その前に until he kill → until he killedでないとおかしいと思いますがーー tooは邪魔ですから取って、分詞構文を節にし、done(代動詞)も元に置き換えますとーー As I knew him as I had known him, I was sure that he would not rest until he killed. ずっと彼のことを知ってきたように彼のことを知っているから、私はきっと彼が殺すまで気が休まないということを確信していた。 つまり、その時点で知っていたという知り方は、それまで(長い間)彼を知ってきたような知り方ということです。長年の経験値を表現したものと思います。 以上、ご参考になればと思います。

chugging
質問者

お礼

回答いただきありがとうございます。 なるほどそういうことなんですね。 わかりました。

その他の回答 (3)

回答No.4

1 perhaps はもちろん、副詞で「たぶん」です。 realized の後に目的語が欠けていると感じるように、 目的格の関係代名詞的なものを考えることができますが、それは than です。 You have more money than you can use. 君は使うことができる以上のお金を持っている。 こういう表現で使われ、money という先行詞にかかる感じで、 「使いきれないほどのお金」のように、否定的に訳すとうまくいくことも多いです。 普通の接続詞や前置詞としての than では説明しきれず、 文法では疑似関係代名詞とされますが、実は関係代名詞とすると重大な欠陥があり、 だから、「疑似」でしかなく、一般的には接続詞の中で説明されます。 欠陥があるとはいえ、先行詞となる名詞(その前に more などの比較級がある)があり、 主語か目的語が欠けて、関係代名詞のように使われています。 anyone but I で「私以外の誰も」 否定的に訳して、「私以外の誰も気づかないほど」の危険な状態 (more) danger が先行詞となっています。

chugging
質問者

お礼

いつも回答いただきありがとうございます。 もっと英語に触れてすぐにわかるようにならないどダメですね。

noname#195146
noname#195146
回答No.2

>1. "You were in more danger than perhaps anyone but I realized."について >"君がどんなに危険な状態にあるかを認識しておったのは、わしだけだったじゃろう。"  このperhapsは名詞で「推測」という意味です。そのperhapsを関係代名詞を省略した"anyone but I"という主語の関係詞節が修飾しています。"no one"あるいは"anyone else"であるべきです(もしくはbutがexceptと同義の用法ならrealizeを逆の意味の語にする)。  しかし、古風な言い方ではこのようなものもあったのかもしれません。文脈からは、「わし以外は知っていた/わしだけが知らなんだ」はあり得ず、仰る訳の意味でないと文意が通らない感じです。単なる言い間違い(作者の書き間違い)の可能性もあります。そこまでは、ちょっと私では分かりません。すみません。 >2. " I was sure, too, knowing him as I have done, that he would not rest until he kill you."について >"あやつを知るわしとしては"  これは(見やすいよう、tooを省いています)、 1)I was sure that he would not rest until he kill you.  「私は、彼が君を殺すまで休まないだろうとと確信していた。」 2)I knew him as I have believed that he would not rest until he kill you.  「私は、彼が君を殺すまで休まないような奴だと知っていた。」 の二つを合わせて、余計なものを省いた言い方になったと思われます。do(have done)がどの動詞に相当するかですが、be動詞ではないでしょうから、その前の疑問文のbelieveが適切のようです。before he returnedでは、ちょっとそぐわない感じです。 「あやつを知るわしとしては」というのは、その辺りを訳していないわけですが、そこも入れて訳そうとすると日本語の語順としては難しく、どうしても不自然になります。訳さなくてもニュアンスなどに影響は少なそうですから、教科書的ではなく小説の文章を心がけるため、訳さなかったのではないかと思います。

chugging
質問者

お礼

回答いただきありがとうございます。 なかなか難しいですね。 もっと勉強します。

• sknuuu
  • ベストアンサー率43% (408/934)
回答No.1

1. You were in more danger than perhaps [anyone but I] realized. anyone but I : 私以外の人 in more dager : もっと危険な状態 全体で 「私以外の人間が認識できるよりももっと危険な状態」≒「私以外の人はその危険な状態を認識できなかった」≒「私だけがその危険な状態を認識できた」 2. I was sure, too, knowing him as I have done, that he would not rest until he kill you. knowing him as I have done : 私が彼のことをこれまでと同じように知っている(過去からずっと彼のことを(同じように)知っている)≒「彼のことをよく知っている」 knowing him as I have done = knowing him as I have known him

chugging
質問者

お礼

回答いただきありがとうございます。 なるほどそういうことなんですね。 まだまだ勉強不足です。

関連するQ&A

• 英文和訳(とにかく分からないです)

以下の1文はAdam Smith-Theory and Politics-The four stages of Societyの481頁からの引用です。 From the system I have already explain'd, you will remember that I told you we may conceive an injury was done one when an impartial spectator would be of opinion he was injured, would join with him in his concern and go along with him when he defended the subject in his possession against any violent attack, or used force to recover what had been thus wrongfully wrested out of his hand. 質問は、この文は一体全体どうなっているのか、ということです。 you will remember that I....の「you」が全体の主語で、that節の主語はI、そしてI told you(that)we may....でまたthat節に入りyouが主語になる。(that)we may....はwe may conceive an injury was doneで終わる。 ここで「one」がくるのですが、when以下は挿入で one would join....という風に「one」は主語であると考える。すると、one would join with him in his concern and go along with him when....に続く。 あぁ、とにかくどこがどうなっているやら、そもそもoneは主語であっているのか、2つのwhenはどこにかかるのか、ということが分かりません。どなたか分かる方いらっしゃいますか? From the system I have already explain'd, の the systemは「占有することで財産権(所有権)が生まれる仕組み」を指します。

• 英文の和訳を希望します

和訳をしていただけるかたのみで、 お願いできますでしょうか? 1つの段落の後半部分となります。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 He liked music, dance and prophecy ands poetry and may have liked to travel a restless character He may have played a musical instrument, and did not much like work or hard labor, though he was a dutiful man. He would have worked long and hard for poor return in the past and developed no taste for it. He was the keeper of family secrets. People could confide in him knowing it would go no further. When they were small your soul mates father would have seemed to have had a cold and forbidding exterior. Stern gruff traditional, occasionally cruel and harsh;. The dominant head of the house. But as the children grew older they could see through this father act, to his wealth of kinder character and his love and affection. He had many material goods and was practical and prosperous.

• 英文について教えてください!

英文について教えてください(*_*) カッコに当てはまるのを教えて頂けたら幸いです(*_*) 1、I couldn't help () at such a sad move. (1)to cry (2)cry (3)cried (4)crying 2.When I was in Salem, I ()often play tennis with John. (1)used (2)would (3)should (4)will 3.Poverty ()him from going to university. (1)pushed (2)prevented (3) resulted in (4)preserved 4.If I were you,I () him. (1)help (2)helped (3) hadhelped (4)would help 5.He would have become a great marathon runner if it()for his knee problem. (1)was not (2)had not been (3)has not been (4)would not have been 6.You ()throw your money into the sea as lend it to such as person. (1)may well (2)might as well (3)will do well to (4)know better than to 7.It won't be long ()we can travel to the moon. (1)when (2)if (3) before (4)until 8. The party was good. You () come! (1)must have (2)can't have (3)should have (4)ought have です(´д`∩ 宜しくお願いします (∋_∈)

• 英語堪能な方、英文を日本語に翻訳お願いします

英語堪能な方にお願いします。m(_ _)m 大変長文で申し訳ありませんが、 以下の英語を日本語に翻訳を、どうぞ宜しくお願いします。m(_ _)m WELLMIT WAS SO MANY GOOD PITCHER WHEN I WAS THERE THAT I THOUGHT COULD HAVE PITCH IN THE MAJOR LEAGUE AND I THINK THEY WOULD HAVE DONE VERY WELL THE ONE THAT COME TO MIND IS KAKU OF THE SEIBU LIONS HE HAD GREAT CONTROL HE HAD SEVERAL DIFFERENT PITCHES HE COULD THROW FOR STRIKE HE HAD A GREAT ARM OUTSTANDING FASTBALL HE LOCATION WAS GREAT I THINK HE WOULD HAVE DONE GOOD IN THE MAJOR LEAGUE BUT THERE WAS SO MANY NOW JUST THE PACIFIC LEAGUE BUT IN THE CENTRAL LEAGUE AS WELL HE IS THE ONE THAT COME TO MIND WHEN I THINK OF I KNOW WATANABE COULD HAVE PITCH THERE AS WELL.

• 英文の添削をお願いします!

1)If I (were) not ill, I (would) go fishing with my younger brother. 2)She loves him (as if) he (were) her own son. 3)If I (had known) it, I (can) have told you. 4)I (wish) you (had not) told the plan to your father. 5)You can listen to the music (as far as) you like. 6)(If) you like it (may) not, you have to decide what to do. 7)I studied hard in my high school days; (unless) I would have failed the examination. 8)No (sooner had) he gone to bed than he fell asleep. 9)I'll lend you the money (for) the condition that you return it within six months. 10)It's about time you (have seen) a Shakespearian play. ()内でおかしいところがあったら添削をお願いしたいです。 よかったら解説も加えてくださると助かります。 よろしくお願いします。

• 仮定法の英文の添削をお願いします!

1)鳥のように飛べるといいんだがなあ。 →I (wish) I (could) fly like a bird. 2)模試外国に行くようなことがあれば、ありえないことだがスコットランドへ行きたい。 →If I (were) to go abroad, I (would) go to Scotland. 3)もしその問題を解くことができていたら、試験に通っていたのだが。 →If I (had) been able to answer the question, I should (be) passed the examination. 4)君の助けが無かったならば、それをすることはできなかったのだ。 →(But) for your help, I (would) not have done it. 5)今日の午後二時前にここへ来れば、彼の家へ連れて行くことができます。 →(Should) you come here before two this afternoon, we (would) take you to his house. 6)彼が承諾しなければ我々は何もできない。 →(Without) he consents, we can do (not). 7)我々のこれほどの警告にもかかわらず、彼はその山を登り始めました。 →( ) all our warnings, he (began) to climb up the mountain. 8)部屋に入るや否や、彼は上着を脱いだ。 →As ( ) as he (into) the room, he took off his jacket. 9)たとえ彼が私の息子でも同じことをするであろう。 →(As) if he were my son, I (should) do the same. 10)ひとたび君が言ったのだから、それは秘密にしなければならないよ。 →( ) you have said so, you should keep it secret. 英文が多くて申し訳ありません。()内の穴埋めです。 回答や解説よろしくお願いしますm(_ _)m

• 意味の違い教えてください

意味の違いがわかるように和訳をお願いします 1-1 I hope you are strong and healthy. 1-2 I wish you were strong and healty. 2-1 If you help him,he will be happy. 2-2 If you had helped him , he would have been happy. 3-1 If he had started yesterday, he would be in time. 3-2 If he had started yesterday, he' have been in time. 4-1 Two more days would be enough for the work. 4-2 In another week, I would have been back at home. よろしくお願いします

• 以下の英文について教えてください。

With his usual frankness he said to Genji: "I wonder whether you have had any answer. I must confess that as an experiment I too sent a mild hint, but without any success, so I have not repeated it." "So he too has been trying his hand," thought Genji, smiling to himself. "No," he answered aloud, "my letter did not need an answer, which was perhaps the reason that I did not receive one." From this enigmatic reply Chujo deduced that Genji had been in communication of some kind with the lady and he was slightly piqued by the fact that she had shown a preference between them. Genji's deeper feelings were in no way involved, and though his vanity was a little wounded he would not have pursued the matter farther had he not known the persuasive power of Chujo's style, and feared that even now she might overcome her scruples and send him a reply. 源氏物語の『末摘花』からの抜粋です。 1人の女性、"末摘花"を巡って源氏と頭中将(源氏の義兄、恋敵)が会話をしている場面です。 以下の個所について教えてください。 【though his vanity was a little wounded he would not have pursued the matter farther had he not known the persuasive power of Chujo's style, and feared that even now she might overcome her scruples and send him a reply.】 この英文の前半の構造ですが though his vanity was a little wounded he would not have pursued the matter farther had he not known the persuasive power of Chujo's style though his vanity was a little wounded たとえ彼の虚栄心が少し傷つけられても he would not have pursued the matter farther 彼はその事を更に追求しなかっただろう となると思うのですが その後の had he not known the persuasive power of Chujo's styleの部分が倒置のようにも思え、よくわかりません。また前の部分とのつながりはどのように読んでいけばよいのでしょうか? また後半の feared that even now she might overcome her scruples and send him a reply. この部分は、he would not have feared that even now she might ~と読むのでしょうか? 【】の部分の訳はどのようになるのでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 高校1年 仮定法の模範解答を教えてください。

(1)AS I have no money ,I can’t buy a car.  If I(    ) money ,buy a car. (2)I wish he were my brother.  I’m sorry he (    )my brother. (3)As he helped me ,I was able to finish the homework.  (    )his help ,I could not (    )(    )the homework. (4)As I could swim well,I was not drowned.  If I had not been able to swim well,I (    )(    )been drowned. (5)I’m sorry (    )I can’t go with you  How I (    )I (    )go with you. (6)I was unable to buy the car for lack of money.  I could have bought the car if I(    )(    ) enough money. (7)I am (    )I cannot speak English as well as you.  I wish I (    )speak English as well as you. (8)If he were to lose his position,what would he do?  (    )(    )to lose his position,what would he do? (9)(    )you did not help him ,he failed.  (    )your help,he would have succeeded . (10)His carelessness caused the accident.  If he had been more(    ) ,the accident would not have (    ).    以上、よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の訳!

英文の訳をお願いします! He was worried about it himself. His yacht was made up of such materials as recycled alumminum cans and PET bottles, and solar batteries were used as a power source. Horie found that most of the oceans and the seas were still clean, which made him very happy. But he was shocked at the polluted water around Japan, especially Osaka Bay.