evenの使い方についての質問

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 質問No.8414493では、evenの使い方についてのコメントがありました。例えば、「I can't remember anything about him, even his name」という文は、「not」をカンマ後に繰り返す必要はないことが指摘されています。
  • また、参考書には「His Spanish isn't very good, even after two years in Mexico」という文や「Nobody would help her, not even her best friend」という文があります。
  • 「not even after two years in Mexico」と「even her best friend」の意味は同じですか?
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

質問No.8414493の立て直し。

質問No.8414493 にて evenの使い方で  1-a) I can't remember anything about him.--not even his name. で このようなコメントをいただきました。   1. I can't remember anything about him, even his name. と not をカンマ後繰り返す必要はない。 そして 参考書でも   3 His Spanish isn't very good----- even after two years in Mexico. という文がありました。                               4 Nobody would help her. ----not even her best friend. という文もありました。    3 -----not even after two years in Mexico. 4 ----- even her best friend. (←Nobody で notが入っているものとして) でも 意味は同じになるのでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sknuuu
  • ベストアンサー率43% (408/934)
回答No.3

1-a) I can't remember anything about him.--not even his name. これはいいと思います(つまり、notはつけるべきと思います 理由"--"(em dash)で区切られているから。会話でもこっちのほうかなと) I can't remember anything about him [or] even his name. だとは思うんですけどね(注:「文法的には」) おかしいと感じるのは、anything about himとhis nameが意味がかち合うからかな・・・ I can't remember anything about him or remember his name. もしくは I can't remember anything about him nor remember his name. (こっちがいいかな・・・) (ただ、どうしても全否定したあとで、~もと付け加えるのはどうもすっきりしない・・・) His Spanish isn't very good--[not] even after two years in Mexico. と思います・・・ His Spanish isn't very good even after two years in Mexico. であればいいかなと・・・ Nobody would help her--not even her best friend. これもいいとは思います ただ、ちょっとすっきりしない(理由: evenで強調しているのは、nobodyとher、どちらの関係においてかが不確か) Nobody would help her. Nor would her best friend. かなと思います(Norで強調されてるからevenいらない) ただし、この場合も全否定したあとに付け加えているので・・・ 前回の質問も見ておりましたが、"--"を使うと文法的には独立しちゃうんですよ 私の持ってる参考書(英文)の例だと My greatfather never allowed his picture to be taken--not even once. としています 対比の文としては My greatfather did not allow his picture to be taken even once. としています

rinrin717
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。 私もなんだか”-”が入っていると独立するんだ~というのに気がついてきました。初めての事項です。 ”-”あり(会話ではみえませんが)これを口語的!とする書や、Native感覚があるのだろうな~と思われる回答者様がたと 「たぶん通じる」程度だとする回答者様との意見がわかれたのが さぁこれからどう使おう?と迷うところでした。  Nativeに指摘されるまで使ってみようかな?   またよろしくお願いいたします。

その他の回答 (2)

• bartok88
  • ベストアンサー率6% (16/247)
回答No.2

Notがはいっていても多分通じると思いますがないほうが確実です。

rinrin717
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。 参考になりました。

• oignies
  • ベストアンサー率20% (673/3354)
回答No.1

たぶん同じ意味になりますが、notはないほうが スマートだと感じます。

rinrin717
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。 参考になりました。

関連するQ&A

• もっとも口語的表現は?

even について実用練習をしてます。   発音ストレスのおき方でもevenが何を強調しているのかを表せる や、基本どこにおいてもいい。(強調したい語がはっきり表されれば)という解釈で学びました。 しかし口語でよく使われる方と、短縮形(これも口語でよくしゃべられるかをも教えてもらいたいですが)を教えてもらいたいです。  1 I can't remember anything about him. +her name を含めて会話を完成させましょう。  1-a) I can't remember anything about him.--not even his name.  1-b) I can't remember anything about him. I can't even remember his name. 1-c) I can't remember anything about him. I can't remember even his name. 2 They didn't say anything to us. + hello 2-a) They didn't say anything to us.----not even hello. 2-b) They didn't say anything to us. They didn't even say hello. 2-c) They didn't say anything to us. They didn't say even hello. ちなみに短縮形は短くて良さそうなので、ぜひともしゃべりたいのですが、合っているかの自信がありません。これも確認したいのです。 前置詞ぬきだろうが 目的語を強調する だろうが とにかく not even を強調したい語の前につけさえして 前文の後に言えばいいと思っています。(でも even in Japanみたいに 「~では ね。」という 範囲や場所や時間の一点を感じさせたい時には前置詞入りでしゃべろうと思っています。  よろしくお願いいたします。

• 翻訳をお願い致します。

December 3, 2016 I lost my best friend last year on this day. I remember standing side by side speaking at Jeremy's funeral... two friends died in the Wildabouts in only one year in an 8 month period. A horrible nightmare of a year. But we also had some of the most amazing positive experiences in the last 10 years we played/spent time together. I got to create so much beautiful music with him and was blown away even that he wanted to write. Our record never got to see the light of day, he said many times Blaster was his favorite album since Core. It was a blessing to create music with him. I have so many good stories I can't even begin... Not a day has gone by that I have not thought about Scott. Today Scott would be want everyone to be happy and listen to music. I miss you my friend...

• I don't remember hearing him say .......

NHKラジオ英会話講座より I don't remember hearing him say anything even remotely insulting. 彼がほんの少しでも屈辱的なことを言うのは聞いた覚えがないのよね。 (質問)文章の構成についてお尋ねします。 (1)全体としては第3文型(SVO)と考えました。如何でしょうか? [remember doing]で「 ~したことを覚えている」の形式 a)I (S) b)don't remember (V) c)hearing him say anything even remotely insulting. (O) (2)hearing以下は名詞句である? (3)hearingは動名詞である? (4)sayは原形不定詞で名詞的用法である? (5)hearing him say anything even remotely insulting.の部分に限定して文型の分析をお願いできませんか? 第3文型?say以下は何? 「主語+remember+doing+人+動詞の原形+??」のようですが、文章の構 成が入り乱れ漠然として、捕まえ切れません。文型を中心に易しく、詳しく、説明をお願いできれば嬉しいのですが・・。よろしくお願いいたします。以上

• 和訳していただけませんか?

次の英文を和訳していただけませんか? 1、He had not experienced that which all fiction taught him was the most important thing in life. 2、Hobbes, one of the greatest English philosophers, used to sing songs every night in his old age when all were gone and nobody could hear him, for his health, which he believe would make him live two or three years longer. よろしくお願い致します。

• よろしくお願いします

I now haven’t talked to my ex in over six months, and the truth is, I miss him. He was my closest friend throughout college and after, and it’s just bizarre not to know even the broadest strokes of his current life. I’m not the type of person who has many “ex-friends.” I’m good at maintaining friendships over many years and across geographies. the broadest strokesとacross geographiesの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 和訳をお願いします!

Alligator, Not Crocodile! John was visiting Japan for the first time. Everything about fascinated him: the people, the culture and especially the language. A friend took him to dine at a restaurant.'How do you say 'Thank you' in Japanese?' John asked. 'Thank you' is 'ARI-GA-TO,' his friend answered. 'To help you remember just think of 'Alligator .' It sounds like 'ARIGATO.' John practiced saying it and seemed quite comfortable with the new word. At the end of the meal, John wanted to express his appreciation to the waiter, but could not remember how to say it. To remind him, his friend used his arms to imitate the reptile opening and closing its jaws. 'Ah!' John remembered...He turned to the waiter and said loudly, 'CROCODILE! CROCODILE!' ジョークの部分も教えて貰えると嬉しいです!

• どのような意味でしょうか

I have been having the same problem with my husband for years. He sets his alarm incredibly early in the morning and mine goes off about two hours later. He gets up with his alarm about two-thirds of the time. Even then, he’s never the first to respond to it. Every single morning for 10 years, I’ve had to shake him awake to shut off his alarm, and sometimes I have to repeat it every 20 minutes until he gets up. I do not fall asleep so readily, so I am often awake in between snoozes. awake in between snoozesはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 2つの文の比較

それぞれどう違うのか教えてください ・When she heard the news, she called her sister at once. Hearing the news, she called her sister at once. ・It is natural for him to help his best friend It is natural that he should help his best friend. ・Tom knows Mary is not at home. Tom knew Mary was not at home.

• 源氏物語の翻訳について

いつもお世話になっています。 A.Waleyの”THE TALE OF GENJI”(桐壺)を読んでいます。 わからないところを教えていただいて 英語の勉強をしたいと思っています。 続きをよろしくお願い致します。 1) 『He could not remember his mother, but the Dame of the Household had told him how very like to her the girl was, and this interested his childish fancy, and he would like to have been her great friend and lived with her always.』 ●彼は彼の母親を思い出すことができなかった。しかし内典が彼女(藤壺)がどんなにとても彼女(母親)に似ているか彼に話し、そしてこれは彼の子供のような想像に興味を持たせ、そして彼は彼女の偉大な友だちになりたかったと思い、そしていつも彼女と一緒に暮らしたかったと思った。・・・・・? he would like to have been her great friend~・・・・would like toが「~をしたいと思う」で、have beenが完了形になっているので、ここは「彼女の偉大な友だちになりたかった」という訳になるのでしょうか? 2) 『One day the Emperor said to her, ”Do not be unkind to him.He is interested because he has heard that you are so like his mother. Do not think him impertinent, but behave nicely to him. You are indeed so like him in look and features that you might well be his mother.”』 ●ある日帝は彼女に言った。「彼に不親切にしないで下さい。彼はあなたがとても彼の母親のようだということを聞いたので興味を持っているのです。彼を無作法だと思わないでください、そうではなく彼にうまく(申し分なく?)振舞ってください。あなたは実に姿と形において彼のようなので、あなたは彼の母になるのももっともかもしれない」・・・・・・? 藤壺と光源氏は似ていたのでしょうか? he would like to have been her great friend~・・・・would like toが「~をしたいと思う」で、have beenが完了形になっているので、ここは「彼女の偉大な友だちになりたかった」という訳になるのでしょうか? 藤壺女御は光源氏の義母に(あたる存在に)なりますが、年の差があまりないですね? いつもより短めの投稿にしました。 よろしくお願い致します。

• 和訳おねがいします

Suprisingly, some of Japanese students have their lunches inside of restroom stalls because they want to make sure nobody watches him. They do not want to give a mistaken impression of not having any friends at school. However,American usually does not care about what other people think about him あと、under someone's lonely eyes これもお願いします