Understanding the Meaning of 'that of' in English Sentences

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In this English sentence, the phrase 'that of some other lady' seems to be a bit confusing and disconnected from the rest of the sentence. It appears to be a sudden placement of a noun in the sentence.
  • The meaning of 'that of' in this context is referring to the head of 'some other lady' who has shared his throne after the woman mentioned earlier.
  • If the person mentioned in the sentence were his old self, he would have beheaded both the woman in question and possibly another lady who had also held the throne after her.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文中の that of について

下記の英文についてご教授をお願いします。 If he were his old self he would have had her head off by now, and doubtless that of some other lady who had been unfortunate enough to share his throne after her. and の前までは理解できるのですが、その後の that of some other lady がどことつながっているのか皆目見当つきません。文中に名詞がポンとおかれたような感じです。そもそも、この that が何を指しているのか、さえ。。。 英語に詳しくないため、お手数かけますが、 ご教授いただけましたら幸いです。何卒宜しくお願い致します。  

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

had her head off ~とあって, doubtless(おそらく)と挿入されて, had the head of some other woman ~となります。 昔の自分だったら,今頃,彼女の首を切り落としていただろう, そして,おそらく,不運にも彼女の後に彼の王位を共有する他の女性の首を (切り落としていたことだろう) 動詞は前で共通となり,her head の部分だけ and ~ that of some other lady と追加し, その lady を who 以下で修飾。

Eusebios
質問者

お礼

大変わかりやすい解説ありがとうございます。 訳文まで付けて頂いて恐縮です。 ThatはHeadを指していたんですね。答えを教えていただけると単純ですが、そのときはそのように考えられなかったですね。猛省。

関連するQ&A

• 以下の英文について教えてください。

With his usual frankness he said to Genji: "I wonder whether you have had any answer. I must confess that as an experiment I too sent a mild hint, but without any success, so I have not repeated it." "So he too has been trying his hand," thought Genji, smiling to himself. "No," he answered aloud, "my letter did not need an answer, which was perhaps the reason that I did not receive one." From this enigmatic reply Chujo deduced that Genji had been in communication of some kind with the lady and he was slightly piqued by the fact that she had shown a preference between them. Genji's deeper feelings were in no way involved, and though his vanity was a little wounded he would not have pursued the matter farther had he not known the persuasive power of Chujo's style, and feared that even now she might overcome her scruples and send him a reply. 源氏物語の『末摘花』からの抜粋です。 1人の女性、"末摘花"を巡って源氏と頭中将(源氏の義兄、恋敵)が会話をしている場面です。 以下の個所について教えてください。 【though his vanity was a little wounded he would not have pursued the matter farther had he not known the persuasive power of Chujo's style, and feared that even now she might overcome her scruples and send him a reply.】 この英文の前半の構造ですが though his vanity was a little wounded he would not have pursued the matter farther had he not known the persuasive power of Chujo's style though his vanity was a little wounded たとえ彼の虚栄心が少し傷つけられても he would not have pursued the matter farther 彼はその事を更に追求しなかっただろう となると思うのですが その後の had he not known the persuasive power of Chujo's styleの部分が倒置のようにも思え、よくわかりません。また前の部分とのつながりはどのように読んでいけばよいのでしょうか? また後半の feared that even now she might overcome her scruples and send him a reply. この部分は、he would not have feared that even now she might ~と読むのでしょうか? 【】の部分の訳はどのようになるのでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文の和訳をお願いいたします

以下の英文を和訳していただけるかたのみで。 お願いできますでしょうか? 内容的にまだ続いてる感じだと思います。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 Yet he had a fairly happy family life and childhood. Background and family history are important to him. He may have had a strong attachment or respect for his father, who was affluent and a sense of family pride. He may have missed out on parental love in his childhood. He would have grown reserved and cautious. May have had some health weakness or weakens of constitution. His interest would have centered on the family. He wanted to shine out. Make his family proud of him, and he would have helped other family members out and taken an interest in their lives and affairs.

• この英文の和訳お願いします。

翻訳サイトではわかりづらかったので質問しました。 almoner? がこちらのプリントのミスなのか辞書でもでてきませんでした。 誤字はないと思います。 For most of his life he had worked as a commercial artist. "I did a bit of tickling" delicate lettering and design for advertising blocks. In his late sixties he experienced long spells of illness. When he was able to work he went as bottlewasher to a dairy. He was obliged to gibe up work finally because of ill-health and growing infirmity at the age of seventy-two. Since the death of his wife his social activities had contracted. He did not get up for long and rarely went out, except at week-ends for his pension and his shopping. Even his visits to an infirm brother living some miles away had fallen off. "I used to go over and see him every Tuesday night last year up to that fog we had in November. Then I just lay on my bed coughing my and coughing. Coughing all day and night, thinking my time had come. But it wasn't to be." He regretted not having children, especially a daughter, who "might have stood by me when I got old", and he had no nephews or nieces living in London. The neighbours saw little of him. Next door was "Mrs Lipstick and Powder, that's what I calls her, always going out." On the other side was "Mrs Fly-by-night. She rushes past me on the stairs now, like some of the others, without asking how I am. Not that I mind. But they used to do it and since I came out of hospital and go around just like a decrepit old man decrepit, yes - I suppose they don't like to ask how I am in case they feel they should do something. But there - life's like that, isn't it?" He had lost touch with all his friends and did not approve of old people's clubs. "They're all clicks of decrepit old people." His opinion of national assistance officials, doctors, almoners, and nurses was favourable, except that sometimes they "kept you in the dark" or "treated you like a little child". He had refused offers of a home help, mainly, it appeared, from a sense of privacy, shame of his home, misunderstanding about payment, and suspicion of the sort of woman who would come. His memories of contacts with doctors and hospitals were extremely vivid and he recalled at length some of his experiences. He talked about an almoner who was "a lovely looking party", about his new dentures, "I don't wear the top, it's more comfortable', and with pride about his one perfect faculty, his eyesight. On occasions when he could scarcely walk it never occurred to him to ask his doctor to visit him; he preferred to make painful journeys to the surgery.

• この英文の和訳がどうしてもできない・・・・

I found that he acted peculiar behavior of some kind and for some individualu it may dominate his mind. という英文があったのですが、「behavior of some kind and for some 」のところがよくわからず、 うまく訳せません。and for someは何に続く and for someなんでしょう?peculiar behavior ですか? 私なりに訳すと・・・・私は、彼がいくつかの奇妙な行動と彼の心を支配するいくつかの個人のための行動を発見した という意味の分からない文になってしまいました。。。。 ご助言のほどお願いします。

• Would that he had.の意味は?

ある本を今読んでいますが、その中で分からない部分があります。 He took away his son, and that was the last XXX had heard of JJJ, even though, in the years following,he made a number of his own discreet inquiries to try to determine what had happened. Finally word came that the boy had died. Sitting across from him, XXX couldn't help thinking, Would that he had. The buzzing in XXX's ears, ......... XXXとJJJは人の名前です。 "Would that he had." は斜体フォントになっています。 質問は次の三つです。 1."Would that he had."の解釈。 2.何故、"Would"がここで大文字のWになっているのか。 3.何故、"Would that he had."が斜体フォントになっているのか。 難しいと思いますが、よろしくお願い致します。

• 英文の翻訳をお願いします

長文で恐縮ですが、 英文の和訳をお願いします。 He will attract money. He has little understanding of the depth of human greed cupidity and envy, jealousy. He is weak willed where friendships or illicit unions are concerned, the combination will bring about his rune. Not everyone will understand his motives and will think he is only concerned with pleasure and falls victim to it, for he has a sense of gaiety, fun, and independence or unconventionality, but it is also circumstance, not shallowness or weakness that place her in difficult relationships. Unfortunate or foolish in human relationships or marriage. But in other area s of life successful. He can brighten up drab days and difficult surroundings and likes to add color to life, he has much energy that way, but will help others and will do them with no great fuss or bother, and won't expect praise or recognition. For this reason he has many good qualities but they tend to get taken for granted, while his minor falls from grace get noticed..

• 英文です!得意な方ぜひお願いします。

wind-chimes in the likeness of her lost friend's only present to her, made of bits of string and scraps, in the centre of which once hung a precious jade peony. このwhich の使っている文がよくわかりません。。 解説してもらえると助かります。。 There was every reason why T, as he was afterwards referred to, should have been an object of mockery---there was his name, the fact that his father, a former architect and present clerk, had "come down in the world" and that his mother considered herself better than the neighbours. 最初のreferred to が the fact that...につながっているのでしょうか? あと---(本当は一本の長いハイフン)がどのような役割を果たしているのでしょうか? 文章を解説してもらえると助かります。 最後に、 what's fanny is he said that... と言うのはおかしいでしょうか。。? what's fanny is his way of talkinとかなら意味は伝わると思うのですが、この場合はどうなるのでしょうか? 質問ばかりですみません! 一問でも答えて頂けたら嬉しいです( `・ω・´ )

• 英文和訳 大学入試

he was worried because all of his life he had believed in communication through letters and books, conversation and teaching, and now his world had become divided on issues such as religion governance and even scholarship - so divided that any discourse seemed impossible. 構文が取れず訳すことができません。all of his life の部分にあたるvは何でしょうか

• of の意味

He showed me some of his photos. この文の some of のofって一体なんですか?どうしてこの文にofが必要なのでしょうか? some his photosでは駄目なのでしょうか? どなたか教えて下さい。

• 英文読解の回答例お願いします。

Mary is romantic. Candlelight dinners, flowers and thoughtful gifts represent love and affection to her. She loved Francis, and could think of no better way to show her affection than to send him flowers and buy him gifts. She spent hours shopping for him, and could not understand why he doubted her love. The problem was that Francis was so overwhelmed with his new business that he did not have the time or energy to focus on Mary's flowers and gifts. They weren't important to him.(1)What he really needed and wanted from Mary was for her to help him handle some of the demands of his business. he would ask her to run an errand or make a phone call, and she would''forget'',or say ''I thought it could wait''or ''I just didn't get to it.''As the days, weeks and months passed, Francis became more and more direct about his needs. The more he complained about Mary's lack of attention, the more flowers and gifts he received. (2)If Mary had just listened to what Francis equated with caring and concern, and had spent a fraction of the time helping relieve his work-related stress that she did shopping for flowers and gifts, Francis would have been overwhelmed by her thoughtfulness. Mary never did tune into the messages that Francis broadcast; and never appreciated that (3)her view of how to show sympathy and attentiveness, no matter how well intended, was not share by him. Eventually Francis became convinced that Mary didn't really care about him, and never would, and ended the relationship.                            (省略) (1)(What he really needed and wanted from Mary)の内容を日本語で簡潔に説明せよ。 (2)の文を和訳せよ。 (3)(her view of how to show sympathy and attentiveness)に関し、彼女はどうすればよいと考えたか 、日本語で簡潔に説明せよ。(回答が出ればお願いします)