The Mysterious Disappearance of Princess Mary

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Princess Mary's sudden disappearance raises questions
  • The truth behind Princess Mary's unexplained departure
  • A rider's cry reveals the shocking news about Princess Mary
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文の意味について

下記の英文に用いられているwhenは関係副詞のwhenでしょうか。 The first I knew that something was truly amiss was when a rider came through the countryside crying the fact that Princess Mary was gone. That she had retreated to Norfolk, dressed as a boy, to board a ship and flee the country. 先行詞のthe timeが省略されたときの関係副詞のwhenと解釈してよろしいでしょうか。お手数かけますが、ご教授いただければ幸いです。どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

そうですね, 「私は何かが本当に狂っていると認識した最初は,メアリー王女が行ってしまった(亡くなった?) という事実を叫びながら馬乗り?が田舎を通って来た時だった」 the first は the first time であり,when も the time when ~

Eusebios
質問者

お礼

いつもご回答ありがとうございます。 訳までつけていただいて助かります。

その他の回答 (1)

• Oubli
  • ベストアンサー率31% (744/2384)
回答No.2

関係副詞です。 the time when ...、 the place where ..、the reason why...など.の場合、先行詞か関係副詞のどちらかが省略されることが多いです。文頭では The first (time) when I knew ...のwhenの方が省略されています。

Eusebios
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 関係副詞の説明も助かります。

関連するQ&A

• 次の英文の解釈を教えてください

I found her crying when I returned to the place where she was. という文章ですが、<>を副詞節のカッコ、[]を名詞節のカッコとすると、 I found her crying <when I returned to the place <where she was>>. と解釈するのが普通(?)ですが、僕はふと、the placeを省略できるのでは?と思いました。省略すると、 I found her crying <when I returned to [where she was]>. として、returned toのtoの前置詞の目的語として、名詞節として解釈すると、文法的に成り立つことはできるのではないのでしょうか?

• 英文の構造解釈

下記の文ですが、意味はとれるので問題ないのですが、 文の構造についていくつかの疑問があります。ご教授いただけたらと思います。 (1)It was not until baby was fed that he stopped crying. 本来は、The baby did not stop crying until he was fed だと思います。これだと意味もわかり易いのですが、強調構文になった途端、理解に苦しみます。 ここでのthatは ~なのは、というような役目? (2) Who was it that read my diary while I was out? it that read のところが解釈に苦しみます。 (3) I don't want there to be any trouble. there to be のところがよく判りません。

• この英文の意味を教えてください!

この英文の意味を教えてください! "Being of special interest to me involved practically nothing on a girl's part - it simply meant that I suffered an astonishing disintegration when I walked by her house, from embarrassment, fright, and the knowledge that I was in enchanted territory." "I did not feel that I possessed the peculiar gifts or accomplishments that girls liked in their male companions - the ability to dance, to play football, to cut up a bit in public" ↑ cut up a bit in publicとはどういう意味でしょうか?

• この英文の意味おしえてください!

"Even though animals don't engage in economic behavior like humans with money,the psychological skills that humans bring to the table when making economic decisions seem to be shared with animals,"said study leader Alexandora Rosati,a postdoctoral researcher in psychology at Yale University. the psychological skills that humans bring to the table when making economic decisions seem to be shared with animalsここがよくわかりません 心理的技術 that humans bring to the table←テーブル?? when以下はなんとなくわかります テーブルのところお願いします><

• この英文の意味を訳してください

I also look after everything local I either Scouts a direct and delegate the games they got to, to be nice to feel one of the lads make it because when I was fourteen there was nothing like this. この意味を教えてください

• この英文の意味を教えてください

小説の中の一文です。 It was probably just as well that we weren't planning to stay a whole week. Itとthat節の関係もよくわからないので、文法的な説明もしていただけるとありがたいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文を日本語訳して下さい。

Many of the defenders had retreated from the line, and those who remained were captured. Parts of the regiment continued to pursue beyond the main defensive line until 13:35, when Colonel Dobrev ordered them to halt. When it was realized that this was not fort 8 he ordered his infantry to cut the retreat routes of that fort, but the Romanians managed to prevent this with artillery fire. By the afternoon of 5 September the forts of the main defensive line in Sector II had all fallen into the hands of the attackers.

• 英文の切れ目と構造が??

いつもお世話になってます。 意味はだいたいわかりますが、切れ目と構造がはっきりしないところがあるので お願いします。 Sarcasm is saying the opposite of what we truly mean,sometimes as a joke,sometimes to be crucial. When parents use sarcasem to playfully tease their young children,do the kids,do the kids the humor?  ここで to のうしろのplayfully は副詞ですが 不定詞の前に  入ることはよくありますか? Not likely,according to a Canadian researcher who has completed a study showing that children need to be 10 or older before fully grasping the concept that sarcsm can be funny or even insulting. この文の前半がよくわかりません。thatまでは どこで 切れてますか?「あまりそうでもない、研究を完成したカナダ人の研究者によるとーーーを示しています。」    このあとの showing はshowed の分詞構文???それと showの主語 は  a study?? だとしたら completedで 切れていますか?? 解説 お願いします。

• この英文の意味を教えてください。

What was the experience like? I see it as a very positive thing. I think it’s an honor to play on all those other people’s records. And even if sometimes it took away from my own personal time, I think that only made me more anxious to do my own things. So when I finally did get the chance, I was full of ideas and motivation. and even if 以降がどうもあやふやです。何が言いたいのでしょうか・・・。 ほかの人とプレイすることによって自分の時間を失うことがあったけど、不安といえるのはそれくらいなもんだった。 こんな感じですか?その続きのso when以降もお願いいたします。

• この英文の意味を教えてください

この英文の意味を教えてください "Some of the reasons are simple. To show that we can watch a horror movies, that are not afraid, that we can ride this roller coaster. Which is not to say that a really good horror movie may not surprise a scream out of us at some point, the way we may scream when the roller coaster twists through a complete 360 or plows through a lake at the bottom of the drop."