Kate Shelley: A Heroine in the Midst of a Disaster

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Kate Shelley, a fifteen-year-old girl, becomes a heroine when she risks her life to save others during a flood.
  • With her father being a railroad man, Kate is familiar with the dangers of the railroad trestle crossing the high rivers.
  • When Kate hears the sound of an approaching train, she realizes that the bridge is about to collapse and takes action to save the passengers.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

翻訳してください

Kate Shelley got to pigpen just in time. The water was just about to flood the floor. She gathered up the seven little pigs. Followed by their mother , she took the pigs up to the barn , which was on higher ground. The rain showed no signs of stopping. Little did Kate know that she would become a heroine that night. She was fifteen years old , poor , and a good girl. Her father had been a railroad man before he died. That was all anyone might have said about her before this night. After she had seen to all the animals , Kate went in the house. She stood by her mother and watched Honey edging higher and higher up its banks. “I'm afraid it will flood ,” said Kate's mother. “It looks that way ,” answered Kate. “And if it gets much higher , the bridge might collapse.” “Let's hope it lasts until the express goes through ,” said her mother. “I'm worried about the railroad trestle ,” said Kate. “What if that goes?” The railroad trestle crossed the Des Moines River , which fed Honey Creek. If the water in Honey Creek was high , it was sure to be high in the Des Moines River. Just then , they heard the sound of an engine. They saw its headlight moving slowly toward Honey Creek Bridge. It was the extra engine that helped to push heavy trains up the hills on either said of the river. Now it was backing down the track , with men on the running board looking for danger. It began to cross Honey Creek Bridge , which was shaking by now. Then the bell on the train sounded twice. There was a crash. “Mother ,” shouted Kate. “They've gone down!” It was still. The two were quiet for a minute. Then Kate said , “I have to go and help them , mother. And I have to stop the midnight express. They'll never know the bridge is down if I don't.” “Listen , Kate ,” her mother answered. “You're only a child. Only fifteen.” “But I'm the oldest here but for you. And you you have to stay with the young ones ,” said Kate. “You'll never make it. You'll have to cross the trestle. It's full of danger.” Her mother saw the look on Kate's face. She knew it would be worthless to try to stop her. “Go , then ,” she said. “But be careful.”  

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.1

ケイト・シェリーは、ちょうど間に合って豚小屋に着きました。 水は、ちょうど床に氾濫しようとしていました。 彼女は、7匹の子豚を集めました。 子豚の母親が追いかけてきましたが、彼女は納屋に子豚を上げました、なぜなら、納屋はもっと高い土地にあったからでした。 雨は、止みそうにありませんでした。 ケイトは、彼女がその夜英雄になるとはまったく思っていませんでした。 彼女は、15才で、貧しく、それでも気立てのよい女の子でした。 彼女の父親は、死ぬ前は鉄道員でした。 この夜以前に彼女について人々が言いそうなことは大体それぐらいでした。 すべての動物の面倒を見たあと、ケイトは家に入りました。 彼女は母のそばに立って、ハニー川の縁の水かさがその堤防に沿ってじりじり増してくるのを見ていました。 「氾濫するかもしれない」と、ケイトの母は言いました。 「そのようね」と、ケイトは答えました。 「それに、もっと水かさが増したら、橋は崩壊するかもしれないわ。」 「急行が通過するまで、橋が持ちこたえてくれることを祈りましょう」と、彼女の母は言いました。 「鉄橋の構脚(トレッスル:主に鉄道橋を支える、スパンの短い十字に組んだ橋脚)が心配だわ」と、ケイトは言いました。 「あれが崩れたら、どうしよう?」 鉄橋の構脚はデモイン川に架かっていました。そして、デモイン川はハニー川に注ぎ込んでいました。 ハニー川の水かさが増しているなら、きっとデモイン川も水かさが増しているはずでした。 ちょうどその時、彼らは機関車の音を聞きました。 そのヘッドライトがゆっくりハニー川の鉄橋の方へ進んで来るのが見えました。それは、川の両側にある丘に重い列車を押し上げるのを助ける追加の機関車でした。 今、それは線路を後退していました、踏み板の上には数人の男たちが乗って危険な個所を探していました。 それはハニー川鉄橋を渡り始めましたが、鉄橋は、この頃までには振動していました。 それから、電車のベルが、二回鳴りました。 崩壊が起こりました。 「お母さん」と、ケイトは叫びました。 「落っこちたわ!」 静かでした。 2人は、しばらく黙っていました。 それから、ケイトが言いました。「あの人たちを助けに行かなくちゃ、お母さん。 それに、深夜の急行も止めなくては。 私が教えなければ、橋が落ちたことに気付かないわ。」 「ねえ、ケイト」と、彼女の母は答えました。 「あなたは、まだ子供よ。 まだ15才じゃないの。」 「でも、お母さんを除けば、私が、ここで一番年上よ。 そして、お母さんは、小さい子供たちと一緒にいてあげないといけないし」と、ケイトは言いました。 「絶対うまく行かないわ。 構脚を渡らないといけないのよ。 危険がいっぱいだわ。」 彼女の母は、ケイトの顔の表情を見ました。 彼女は、彼女を止めようとしても無駄だと分かりました。 「それじゃ、行きなさい」と、彼女は言いました。 「でも、気をつけるのよ。」

関連するQ&A

• 翻訳お願いします

Kate hurriedly put on her old coat and took a lantern. She rushed out. Her mother watched , wondering if she would ever see Kate again. She thought of the trestle , high above the Des Moines River. The danger of crossing it was great even in the daytime when the weather was clear. Now , at night , in a storm , it would be frightening. Kate might easily fall through into the raging river below. To Kate , the farmhouse yard looked like a big bowl of water. The water was lapping over the track which went by the house. Kate had to climb the hill behind the house to a place where the tracks cut through. The tracks were not flooded there , and she ran along them to Honey Creek Bridge. Part of the bridge was still up. The rest of it hung down in the water. Kate could see the shine of the engine down there in the flooding river. She heard cries. Then she saw two of the four men from the helper engine. They were hanging desperately onto a piece of wood. It seemed that the other two men were lost. Cupping her hands around her mouth , she tried to shout above the sound of the flood and storm. “I'm going for help ,” she cried. “I have to flag down the express!” She watched them call back to her. Then she knew that they couldn't have heard her voice , for she couldn't hear theirs. With Honey Creek Bridge down , the only way to town was over the railroad trestle crossing the Des Moines River. She began to run along the creek toward it. When she saw the railroad trestle , she knew something of what she was in for. Wet and shining black above her , the trestle was shaking hard from the raging water. The river was now almost flooding its banks. The water was swirling close to the tracks on the trestle. The rain came down harder. Kate stopped to think. Was there any other way into town? No. Would anyone else know about Honey Creek Bridge collapsing? No , not anyone on the town side , where the express would come from. There was no one else. Only Kate. And if she didn't get there in time , a whole express train of people would plunge over the edge into Honey Creek. Hundreds of innocent people would be drowned. She had to do it.

• 翻訳お願いします

Her eyes were wild and her clothes torn when she rushed into the station. “That girl is out of her mind!”someone said. “The express!”shouted Kate. “Stop the express!” The stationmaster wasn't sure what she was talking about, but he didn't stop to find out. Already, he could hear the express approaching. He picked up a red light and ran outside. He heard the engine whistle. It was close. In seconds the express would roll through the town. He stepped out on the track, seeing the train's headlight above him. Just in time the engineer saw his light and brought the train screeching to a stop. “What is this?" said the engineer to the stationmaster, as he stepped down from the stopped train. “What do you mean by stopping the express in this little town?" Passengers, too, climbed out of the train, wondering what had happened. The engineer, the stationmaster, and the other people all looked at Kate. Only she had the story. So she told it. When she had finished, some people threw their arms around her in gratitude. Others cried with relief. All knew that Kate had saved as a heroine.their lives. She was acclaimed as a heroine. But she did not forget the two men in Honey Creek. In a few minutes, the train whistled sharply three times. This was a signal to the people in the town that there was trouble. Men came running, lengths of rope in their hands , and climbed on the engine. Kate went with them across the trestle, which fortunately still held, and down to Honey Creek Bridge.

• 翻訳お願いします

The men from town came out of the engine. They threw a rope to the two men caught in the creek. One held it and climbed up on shore, hand over hand. He threw his arms around Kate, knowing she had saved him. The other man in the river could not be reached until the next morning, but finally he was safely rescued. For days, Kate got letters from people who had read about her in the paper. People sent money, which helped the family in their poverty. A new railroad bridge was named after her. When she grew up, she became the railroad ticket seller in town. She was allowed to ride the railroad free whenever she wanted to. What's more, the engineer would make a stop right in front of her house to let her off!

• 翻訳お願いします

Kate stepped out on the trestle to see if it would hold her. Though she could feel it shake beneath her, it did not go down. Then, the wind blew out her light. The night was black. She began to crawl, feeling ahead of her to see if the bridge was still there. From one board to the next she went cautiously on. Sometimes she would slip and almost fall into the roaring water below. Then she would regain her hold and go on. Kate did not know what time it was. The express would come through at twelve. What if she vas still on the bridge when it came? She would be killed. But there was no way back now. Part of the way across, she saw a big tree rushing down the river. It had been torn out of the ground by the flood, and dirt still hung on its roots. It was approaching fast. It is sure to push the bridge down, she thought. And I can't stop it. Her heart beat quickly. Then the tree passed under the bridge, clearing the trestle by only a foot. Kate kept crawling. Nails and splinters caught at her clothes. Her hands were torn. Thinking of the express and all its passengers, she made one last effort and finally reached the end of the bridge. She stopped only a minute to rest. As soon as she could, she began to run as fast as she could toward the railroad station in town. It was a half mile away.

• 源氏物語の翻訳について 3

前回回答をいただいた方にお礼を申し上げます。 続きですが、 the girl's mother cried out that the smoke of her own body would be seen rising beside the smoke of her child's bier. とあるのですが、この中で「smoke」という単語が2回使われていますが どうやって訳すとすっきりするのでしょうか? それから ~ So overpowering was the mother's affection that so long as she looked on the body she still thought of her child as alive. とありますが、ここの「overpowering」はどのように訳せばよいでしょうか? それから It was only when they lighted the pyre she suddenly realized that what lay upon it was a corpse. とありますが、ここの出だしの「It was only」はどのように訳せばよいでしょうか?ここで使われている「only」の意味がよくわかりませんでした。 続きですが Then,though she tried to speak sensibly,she reeled and almost fell from the coach,and those with her turned to one another and said,”At last she knows.” とあります。この文の,”At last she knows.”とはどういう意味で言われているのでしょうか? 現代語訳と照らし合わせているのですがよくわからないところが多いです。

• 翻訳をお願いいたします。

クインシー・ジョーンズ氏のインタビューから この文章の翻訳をお願いいたします。 There’s a small anecdote in your memoir about how the rock musicians who’d been asked to sing on “We Are the World” were griping about the song. Is there more to that story? It wasn’t the rockers. It was Cyndi Lauper. She had a manager come over to me and say, “The rockers don’t like the song. ” I know how that shit works. We went to see Springsteen, Hall & Oates, Billy Joel, and all those cats and they said, “We love the song. ” So I said [to Lauper], “Okay, you can just get your shit over with and leave. ” And she was fucking up every take because her necklace or bracelet was rattling in the microphone. It was just her that had a problem. よろしくお願いします。

• 話法の問題が解けません。

話法の問題が解けません。 1. She said to him, "Please help me with her homework." She ( ) him ( ) help her with her homework. 2.She said to me, "Do you remember me?" She ( ) me ( ) I remembered her. 3. She said to him, "What do you mean?" She ( ) him ( ) ( ) ( ). 4. She said to him, "Let's talk about it." She ( ) to him that ( ) ( ) talk about it. 5. She said, "How happy I am!" She said with joy that she was ( ) happy. 6.He said, "May God help me!" He ( ) that God ( ) help him. 7. Yesterday she said to me, "I'll see you tomorrow". Yesterday she told me that she would see me ( ).

• 翻訳お願いします

Margie even wrote about it that night in her diary. On the page headed May 17 , 2155 , she wrote , “Today tommy found a real book..” It was a very old book. Margie's grandfather had heard about books like it When he was a little boy. He once said his grandfather had told them that there was a time when all stories were printed on paper. They turned the pages , which were yellow. It was very funny to read the word. They stood still, instead of moving the way they were supposed to - on a screen , you know. And then , when they turned back to the page before , it had the same words on it. It was just the same as it had been when they read it the first time. “Oh,” said Tommy. “What a waste!” When you're through with the book , you just throw it away , I guess. Our television screen must have had a million books on it , and it's good for many more. “Same with mine ,” said Margie. She was 11 and hadn't seen as many telebooks as Tommy had. He was 13. She said , “Where did you find it?” “In my house.” He pointed without looking , because he was busy reading. “In the attic.” “What's it about?” “School.”

• 翻訳してくださいm(__)m

日本語に翻訳してください。 (1)I'm sorry I love you so much. I will make up for being awful to you. And I didn't mean that you aren't better than my ex. You are way better than her in a million ways. I love you and would do anything to make you happy. (2)Hehehehe when I said that you would beat her it was you would beat using me as a toilet cus that's what she wanted and that would make her mad lol You gave me a heart attack. I started crying (at last!) You are the most amazing girl on the planet. I don't care how good your English is I will always love you (heart) (3)Like I said when we first started talking. If you ever see something I said that offends you please know that is not what I meant. I would never want to hurt you.

• この英語表現は正しいですか?

書く英語 基礎編のLesson 178 練習問題5の解答によれば、 あなたが彼女に会うことはそんなに(so)大事なことだったのですか Was it so important that you had to see her? となっていました。しかし、これは、 Was it so important that you see her? と書くべきではないのですか? 何だか腑に落ちません。