Bacteria on Binkies: A Recipe for Crankiness

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Researchers examined 10 used pacifiers from healthy babies and found surprising amounts of bacteria.
  • The presence of bacteria on pacifiers may contribute to crankiness in babies.
  • The meaning and usage of the phrase 'if~' in this context is unclear. It may be a specific usage that is not commonly found in dictionaries or reference books.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

- if~ -

To reach their slimy — if unsurprising — conclusions, researchers examined 10 used pacifiers from healthy babies. Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/11/15/bacteria-on-binkies-a-recipe-for-crankiness/#ixzz2CTBM3KUX 良く挿入されて出てくる、このif~の訳が分かりません。 どうやって訳せばいいのでしょうか? 何か特定の用法として辞書、参考書等には載っているのでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • ad-astra
  • ベストアンサー率64% (126/196)
回答No.2

例文の訳は「例え驚くべきものではないにしろ」でいいと思います。 挿入句として使って「もし(たとえ)~だとしても、かもしれないが」と、一度表明したことに関して留保をつける話法です。「譲歩」の用法とされるのかもしれません。 例:What he said is understandableーif not forgivableーgiven its context. 「彼が言ったことは、その文脈を考慮すると、理解できるものだ ー 例え許せないものであったとしても。」

nobitah
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。

その他の回答 (1)

• KappNets
  • ベストアンサー率27% (1557/5688)
回答No.1

(even) if unsurprising = 驚くほどではないとしても。 辞書の if の所に書いてあります。difficult if not impossible などのように否定を伴って用いられることが普通です。

nobitah
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• 添削お願いします。

英会話教室用にスピーチを考えましたが、だんだん書いているうちに判らなくなってきました。特に"He understands that they wish their babies happiness and the possibility of meaning, or a particular sound that Kanji has." は、「作者は、両親が子供の幸せと可能性を漢字の意味と音にたくしていることを理解している。」と言う意味で書きましたが、どうでしょうか? 他にも指摘がありましたら、お願いいたします。 Yesterday, I read a book review. The book title was, `Yominikui namae ha naze fuetaka?` Translating this literally into English, `Why did the names that were unreadable increase?` The writer asks why, in these days, so many parents name their children unreadable names using difficult Kanji. He understands that they wish their babies happiness and the possibility of meaning, or a particular sound that Kanji has. Some parents also really worry about distinguishing their babies from others. Thus, they choose difficult Kanji to read and unusual ways to pronounce them. Also, he warns that these trends might ruin the system of Kanji that has a long history. I generally agree with him, and think that we need some more strict rules for naming babies.

• 和訳 law and order 3の3

外国人です。。。私の和訳はあっているでしょうか。添削をお願いいたします。(辞書形) “Barbaric” is used to describe the country, because if a society devotes more to “order” than to justice (fairness) it means that the society is serving a dictator's interest. 社会が正義(公平性)よりも「秩序」を追求する場合、それは社会が独裁者の利益に役立つことを意味するため、「野蛮」は国を表すために使用される。

• 以下の英文についてお聞きしますt1-181

1First-time customers receive「 15 percent off a job」 of £200 or more. 2Refer a friend and recive「£20 off 」your next bill. 「」の部分は名詞の形容詞用法でしょうか? 3Thousads of vitours each year explore the rich array of attractions that the museum has to offer. to offerは不定詞の形容詞用法でよろしいでしょうか? 4Sponsors will have their names engraved on a plaque that is displayed on the wall near our main entance. will have~engravedの部分で意味の取り方として受動的に「される」と解する高尾でよいでしょうか? また、have~doneには物も人も入ることは承知なのですが I had my son examined at a nearby clinic yesterday.のように人を入れるとやはり「してもらった」(どちらにしろ受動なのですが)との理解でよいのでしょうか?となれば4は「~してもらうことになる」と考えても差し支えないでしょうか? 宜しくお願いします。

• 【至急】英文の和訳です。よろしくお願いします。

In the third period, the child makes rapid progress in increasing his or her vocabulary and learning new skills in discovering the meaning of unfamiliar words by the way the words are used in the reading material. In addition, children during this period of reading development learn to read for different purposes and in different subjects, such as science and history. They learn that reading, besides being something that one dose at school, is also something that one can do alone,for fun, for factual information, or to learn more about the world in general. Finally, in the fourth period, the student improves the skills that have been leaned. He or she develops the ability to connect ideas from one piece of writing to another, and learns to compare the opinions of different writers on the same subject. Young persons should reach the fourth period of reading by the time they are 13 or 14 years old, and, if they try, they can continue to increase their reading ability for the rest of their lives. They can read by themselves and are prepared to learn more about reading.

• 和訳 a so called "..."

和訳はあっているでしょうか?添削をお願いいたします。 And if a so called “judge” was to read the complaint and determine that suspects rights should not be used to make judgement and that ‘hitojichi shihou’ should be maintained, their IQ would be no more 80. Wouldn’t you agree? そして、いわゆる「裁判官」が訴状を読んで、被疑者の権利を裁判に使用すべきではなく、「人質司法」を維持すべきであると判断した場合、彼らの知能指数は80以上にならないでしょう。

• 英語長文 問1の曖昧選択肢からの回答の根拠を

Many women use the phrase "the mommy brain" to describe the damage mothering may do to their brains. They often make fun of its effects:losing their car in the parking lot, for instance. Women hurt themselves by joking about it. If they tell themselves (1)★they`re not up to the job★and that motherhood is taking their neurons away, it could become a self-fulfilling prophecy and lead them to perform more poorly. 問1 (1)★they`re not up to the job★の意味として正しいものを選びなさい (1)仕事をする気力が無い (2)仕事に見合う能力が無い 答えは(2)なんですが (1)ではない根拠を教えてください up toの意味を知らないという前提でも 等位接続詞のandから答えを導き出せるみたいなんですが それだとlead them to perform more poorly=仕事をするのが下手になる つまり(1)★they`re not up to the job★と言うと 仕事をするのが下手になる(仕事がうまくいかない) というのが自分の回答の根拠なんですが この根拠だと、(1)仕事をする気力が無いでも正解に思います 仕事に対してやる気がないのですから 仕事も上手くいかないかと思いまして。・・・

• 英作文の添削をおねがいします

英作文の添削をお願いします。 テーマ:食の安全について(自分の食生活とみんなが健康的で安全なものを食べるために社会はどうしたらよいか) 錠けン:150字以上 3パラグラフ構成以上 序論・本論・結論が明確であること      Today, the problems of food quality and safety have been in the news more than before. As you know, eating is one of the most important habits in daily life, so I care about what I eat every day. Because I live with my family, my mother or I can cook by her or myself. Thus, I can eat healthy food such as flesh vegetables, fruits, meat and fish. However, if I have to live alone, I should sometimes buy the meal at the convenience store when I am busy and unable to cook. In addition, this is the problem for people who live alone. Although a lot of convenience store stand everywhere in the city, most of meals they sell are not healthy, like high-calorie, salty, or including high levels of chemicals. Eating these foods usually harm their health. I suggest that society should make the convenience stores sell more healthy food if they make sure that we all eat good and healthy food. When they so, even people who live themselves will be able to eat safety and be more healthy.(183words) 本論の展開(自分の食生活から社会全体に結び付ける展開)が思い浮かばず、 無理やり結論にもっていった感じがいなめません。。。 英作文を書くときに軽く構成は書き出すものの、何度も消して書いてを繰り返してしまうのですが、 これをあまりしなくて済むコツなどあれば教えていただきたいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳をお願いします。

Recent statistics hints that more and more people are opting to stay single. Nevertheless, most men and women still want to get or be married. A goodmarriage is still seen as the surest way to lead a happy, meaningful life-as the best way to ward off loneliness while still allowing each partner to grow as an individual. On the other hand, a bad marriage is not only an unhappy one, but it can also have a detrimental effect on the partner’s health. In fact, it is far less preferable health-wise than staying single. That’s the conclusion reached by a study published in the journal The Annals of Behavioral Medicine. Researchers asked 303 generally healthy people- 204 married and 99 single-detailed questions about the quality of their lives. After completing the questionnaire, the participants wore a portable blood pressure device for 24 hours as they went about their normal daily activities. Those subjects who had confessed to being trapped in an unhappy relationship had much higher levels of blood pressure, stress, depression, and overall dissatisfaction with life. As one of the authors of the study put it: “Just being married per se isn’t helpful from a health standpoint, because you can literally be worse off in an unhappy marriage. So choose wisely”. So how can an unhappy, unhealthy marriage become a good one? Another study, conducted at the University of Michigan, that tracked 192 couples for 17years indicates that a good quarrel may be the answer. Couples who suppressed their anger were found to have a mortality rate two times as high as couples who regularly expressed their dissatisfaction. Even more telling, the couples who regularly expressed their dissatisfaction. Even more telling, the study found that couples who kept their feelings to themselves were five times more likely to be dead 17 years later. The American playwright Thornton Wilder once said: “Fighting is the best part of marriage. Everything else is so-so”. As the Michigan study shows, Wilder may have been more correct than ironic.

• 訳してください!!

きれいな訳になりません…文法もぐちゃぐちゃになってしまいました… どなかた和訳してください_(._.)_ A number of important new subfields within musicology have arisen as a result of these different perspectives. Some, such as Kerman, Taruskin and Dreyfus, have used them to criticize the historical performance movement,throwing into question the notion of an 'authoritative' or 'authentic' performance of early music. Others, following the lead of McClary and Brett, have used them to explore how gender and sexuality may influence the creation and reception of music. More and more musicologists are crossing borders and reconsidering the boundaries of their research, not only that which has separated classical and popular music, written and oral traditions, but also historical musicology from other disciplines including ethnomusicology and music theory.

• 和訳お願いします><

すいません、和訳お願いしたいのですが… お時間ある方お願いします。 Going on a vacation to Japan is getting more expensive for us Americans because the dollar is weak against the yen if you haven't heard. So if you visit America now, it would be more advantageous for you guys. However, I just read on Yahoo news that Japan is trying to promote its tourism and if lawmakers in Japan prove this bill/law, they will distribute 10,000 airline tickets for free, for people to visit Japan. But the trade-off is that people that accept the offer will have to blog about their experiences on the internet. If I ever do visit Japan, I will definitely visit you because I will need a tour guide lol :)