Weasel wordsとは?解説します。

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Weasel wordsとは、意味が曖昧で明確に定義できない言葉のことです。広告などでよく見られ、Medicine AがMedicine Bよりも「より良く」機能すると主張しますが、それがどれだけの程度であるのか、あるいはどの点で優れているのか具体的には言及されません。
  • 他のWeasel wordsの例には、help、virtually、as much as、like(「あなたをまるで新品にする」というような意味で使われる)や、more economicalがあります。自問してみてください。「具体的に何が主張されているのか?」例えば、「『コレステロールを減らす可能性がある』とは具体的に何を意味しているのか?」というようなことです。
  • Weasel wordsは、明確な主張や説明を欠いているため、注意が必要です。広告やプロモーション、政治演説などで使用されることがあります。理解するためには、主張が具体的かどうかを確認する必要があります。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

Weasel wordsとは?翻訳お願いします。

ある英文の文献なのですが、Weasel wordsについて書いてあります。 Weasel wordsで検索したら、”二枚舌”などと出てきたのですが、この以下の意味が 全くわかりません。わかる方翻訳お願いします。 Weasel words These are terms whose meanings are slippery and difficult to pin down. Good examples can be easily found in commercials as when Medicine A works “better” than Medicine B but fails to specify how much or in what respect Medicine A performs better. It’s quite possible that Medicine A performs better in one respect but less effectively according to nine other measures. Other weasel words are help, virtually, as much as, like (as in “it will make you feel like new”), and more economical. Ask yourself, “Exactly what is being claimed?” For example, “What does ‘may reduce cholesterol’ mean? What exactly is being asserted?”

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • ddeana
  • ベストアンサー率74% (2976/4019)
回答No.2

weasel words: 逃げ口上 つかみどころがなく、はっきりとその意味が突き止めづらい言葉のことである。良い例は、コマーシャルなどでよく見られる、薬Aは薬Bよりも良く効くが、具体的にどのぐらいもしくはどういった点でよく効くのかをはっきりしめさないことである。薬Aは(10の事項のうち)1については良く効くが、残り9についてはあまり効果的ではないことは容易にありえるのである。 別の逃げ口上としては「助けます」、「~~といってもいいくらい」「~~と同じぐらい」「~~のように(まるで新しい自分になったような気分といった感じで)」そして「より経済的です」といった言葉です。 自問してみましょう。「いったい何をいわんとしているのか?」と。 例えば「コレステロールを減らすであろうとは一体どういうことか? 本当に強調していることはいったい何なのか?」といった具合に。 という感じでしょうか。

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

ウィーゼル語(かわうそことば)     此れは意味がつるつる滑って、何の意味か確かめにくい言葉を指す。いい例は、薬の広告などで簡単に探し出せる。曰く薬Aは、薬B「よりよく」効く、とは言うもののどれだけ、どういう点で薬A が優れているかをはっきり言わない場合などである。     薬A は、ある1面では(薬B)よりよく効くけれども、他の9つの面ではでは効果がない可能性もある。ウィーゼル語の他の例では(「新しく生き返ったような気がする」のように)助けになる、経済的な表現がある。(このところ原文に問題あり)「いったい何が出来ると言っているのか」と、例えば「コレステロールが減るかもしれない」とはどういう意味か、と自分に尋ねてみるといい。「いったい何を言っているのか」と。

rq-hq2
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。 参考にさせていただきます。

関連するQ&A

• 英語

どなたか次の英語を訳できるかたお願いします In other words, they won't mind being treated like a guest or a visitor if that is what they are.

• 下記、翻訳をお願いします。

下記、翻訳をお願いします。 ah well i was not sure what you wanted to say. maybe you meant "It feels a little like being in love...." or are you asking us what we think your description sounds like? if so: "Does it sound a little like being in love?"

• in other words 「言い換えれば」

to put it in other words と言う場合は it の次に in がつくのに、なぜ、同じ意味の to put it another way と言うときは it の次に in がつかないのですか?

• 翻訳お願いします。う

Two preliminary matters need disposing of right away,both pertaining to matters un-American. In reply to the question posed by the title How does being an American inform what I write? ―one might want to say: “Well, being an American means I felt free to write whatever I chose,and so I did. Q.E.D.”But, couldn't I have done as much in Denmark,Canada or Britain, and been one of theirs? It's true of the U.S., but it's not uniquely true. And second,while being an American may have made me a writer and stamped my efforts indelibly, it hasn't necessarily made me a better writer than some other country's. A look into world literature tells us that. For all I know, I might've been better as a Frenchman.

• 英文の翻訳をお願いできますか?

彼からのメールのないようですが、英語力の乏しい私には意訳ができません。どなたか翻訳してもらえないでしょうか? I could not respond because of my job yoğunlğundan. At this time in my personal life and my business life, he decides to live in because of the stress I'm not sure. You get very impatient. I do not understand why. People to marry each other very well need to know. I married again to another without fully concluded'm not ready for marriage. Friendship and friendship and love in the coming time, as more development would be better for us. And together we will make better decisions about what to do. Why so quick to make a decision as I insist you do not understand. These are very serious issues. Decision can not be easy. More do not recognize each other full Incentives. And the Japanese society and Turkey have different traditions. In this regard you and me how we can comply with this tradition. I think people need to know each other a long time for marriage. We only We saw each other 2 days. I think this closeness, friendship and love each other without breaking continues in this way and get upset. Conclusions as a result of friendship beautiful. I very busy businessman, I can not take too much time for my private life. Please forgive me because I can not talk much with you.you get to me a very special person and I'm very happy to know you.I want to be with you always in the future. I like you very much.

• 和訳お願いします。not always in few words, but in too few words

Theodor Lippsと言う方の言葉です。 A joke says what it has to say, not always in few words, but in too few words―that is, in words that are insufficient by strict logic or by common modes of thought and speech. It may even actually say what it has to say by not saying it. 試訳:ジョークは言わなければならない事を、毎回短く言うわけではない、しかし非常に少ない言葉である―それは、厳密な論理によった場合や、通常の思想や発言によった場合では少なすぎる言葉数である。 ジョークは実際に言わなければならないことを言わない事によって言うこともすらあるのだ。 タイトルの通り、not always in few words, but in too few wordsで、上記のやくでよいのか迷っています。その部分だけでも良いので、教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳をお願いします!(翻訳サイトなしで!)

1I'm a high school student who needs to know a few things about people and how they get to where they are. Can you tell me what makes one person so much better than the other when it comes to wrestling? 2Finally, overcome by curiosity, he asked one of the women, 'Why do you choose that particular brand of food? Does it taste better than the others?Some of the other brands are cheaper, you know.' To which the woman replied, 'This brand looke better.' 宜しくお願いします!!

• The same as I am now.の意味を教えて下さい。

英文を読んでいて???マークが私の頭上に現れたので、お聞きさせてください。 太郎:I'd like to be self-employed. 花子:So what would you like to do? 太郎:The same as I am now. The same as I am now.の意味を教えて下さい。 ちなみに 花子:So what would you like to do? のところはSo what would you like to do exactly? と exactlyが入るべきでしょうか? どなたかわかる方、お願いします.

• itが指しているものが分からない

某参考書の例題です To be informed is to know simply that something is a fact. To understand is to konw everything about the fact : why it is a fact, what its connections are with other facts, in what ways it is the same, in what ways it is different; in other words, what the fact means. この文の why it is a fact, what its connections are with other facts, in what ways it is the same, in what ways it is different のitは何を指すのでしょうか?

• 和訳お願いします!

Very little of what is said is important for the information expressed in the words. It is crucially important, as a way of showing that we are involved with each other, and how we feel about being involved. お願いします(>_<)