Why do American people wear shoes in their house?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Learn about American culture: Do Americans wear shoes in their house?
  • Curious about American habits: Why don't Americans take off their shoes at home?
  • Is it normal for Americans to wear shoes indoors? Exploring cultural practices.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

次の英文を英会話スクールで言っても大丈夫でしょうか

(アメリカ人の先生に対して次の質問をしようと思っています。) Could I ask you a question about American culture? I heard American people put their shoes on even in their house. Why don't they put it off in their house? If your friend visited your house with her dirty shoes, wouldn't you mind that at all? もっとこうした方が良いとかあればどんな些細な点でもいいのでアドバイスお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

Could I ask you a question about an American custom? I heard American people keep their shoes on even in their house. Why don't they take them off in their house? If your friend visited your house with her dirty shoes, don't you mind that at all? とも。     一軒の家に住む一家族に限らない一般論なら、their house の代わりに their houses のような複数を使うのも一考です。僕の訳では一般論では、構造的な家と言うつもりで house、あなたの家庭という雰囲気的な物を土足で侵害されると言う点を強調 したい時は、home と使い分けておきました。 もともといいのでそのままでも、質問者さんの文で構わないと思います。

sayaka122
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。おっしゃる通りhomeを使った方が良いかもしれません。特に最後の文は雰囲気が出ますね。housesにしようかも考えましたがhousesにすると一家族が複数の家を持っているというニュアンスが出てくるかなと思ってしまいhouseにしてしまいましたが、theirとのつながり的にみてもhousesの方が良いのかもしれないなと思いました。どちらにせよありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (1)

noname#175206
noname#175206
回答No.2

駄目ですよ。外国かどうか以前のことですよ。いや、つい尋ねてしまうんですけれども(^^;。  相手に敬意を持っているなら、「~で『ない』のはなぜか?」と尋ねてはいけません。「なぜ私と違うのか?」と尋ねてはいけません。「ある」ものより「ない」もののほうがずっと多く、しかも曖昧だったりします。はっきり「ある」ものの説明でも四苦八苦するのに、際限も無く出てくる「ない」ものの説明なんてできません。  質問者様とて、誰彼かまわず「なぜあなたは私と似ていないでですか?」「なぜあなたは私と同じようにしないのですか?」と尋ねたりなさらないでしょう。  もし、「なぜ私と同じように考えないのですか?」なんて聞いたら、おそらく非常にまずいことが起こります。そういうことがきっかけで、非常に険悪な雰囲気になったことを何度も見てきました。自分の考えを否定されたように感じるし、自分が育った文化を否定されるように感じます。  自分を基準にして、相手との違いを言えと言うのは、とても傲慢なことなんです。質問が否定と受け取られかねないわけなんです。それはまずいです。  もし質問者様が私から、「なぜ質問者様は私のようではないのですか?」と訊かれても困るはずです。当たり前ですもんね。歩んでいる人生が違うんですから。そんな当たり前のことを説明しろと言われても困る。それに見ず知らずの他人です。「そもそも、あなたのことなんか知らない」と言いたくなります。これが何か共通点があったりすると、話も盛り上がったりします。  ご質問の例文に照らして申し上げるなら、なぜ日本では家に入るなら靴を脱ぐか、きちんと調べて、自分でも考察して、それがどうしてなのか、意見を言えるようになる必要があります。それを説明してみましょう。  そうしたら、おそらく尋ねなくても相手は考えるようになります。違いについて言ってくれるようになります。もちろん、質問しても大丈夫です。こういう場合は一生懸命考えていることが分かります。決して、質問が相手への否定と思われることはありません。

sayaka122
質問者

お礼

習慣の違いを質問する場ですから傲慢に受け取られることはないと思います。

関連するQ&A

• 和訳お願いいたします

It was my pleasure to look for your hair dryer ... this way it made me feel I could do something for you and that makes me very happy. Of course you can use my towels. Actually I also have an extra bath robe you can use. You can use everything in my house ... please consider my house as your home for Do we take off our shoes when we enter the house? Generally speaking ... no. But in my house yes. I always take of my shoes when I enter the house and put on my slippers. And I also ask everybody who enters to do this. (I will prepare slippers for you). So in the house I walk around with my slippers and to go to the bedroom I take off my slippers. But I think in Japanese house it's a little bit different. The part of the house where you can't wear shoes, the floor is a little bit higher, no? Can you be honest ... have you never walked in your house with your shoes? Really never? You were never a naught girl? hahaha

• 英会話の中でわからない英文があります

英会話の中でわからない英文があります A: Listen, I was thinking. How would you like some free legal advice? B:You want to be my lawyer? How long do you want to send me away for? A: I got way too big an ego for that. B: Oh. That's true. A: No. I wouldn't be representing you. I've got a friend who is a securities attorney. But I could help you put together the case. *how long do you want to send me away for *I got way too big an ego for that *put together the case ↑この3つの文の意味を教えてください

• 次の英文の翻訳をお願いします。

Let me type correctly my auto-correct put the wrong word in. Now I am very curious why you liking or not liking your job is a secret. 下の文章の意味は分かりました。しかし上の文章の意味が分かりません。よろしくお願いします。

• 短文ですがなんと書いてあるでしょうか?英→日

I propose 140 All in for the ○○. If you want 1 for the shoes and 139 for your fees ?? ebayで質問を受けました。 ○○はシューズのブランド名です。 何と言ってるでしょうか? 140、1、139は価格で値引きの問い合わせでしょうか? 短い文ですがよくわかりませんでした。 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 英文の添削をお願いします。

ビールを冷やす(冷蔵庫に入れる)担当は君だよ。 You're in charge of putting a beer in the refrigerator. You're supposed to put a beer in the refrigerator. なりたいと思っていた自分になるために、努力は惜しまない。 I will spare no effort to become what I want to be. 私が頼む前にやってくれるなんて!貴方は本当に気が利くね。  How thoughtful you are to do that before I ask you to! よろしくお願いいたします。

• 自由英作添削 もうしわけありませんが

本当にすみませんがよかったら。。。。 家族とはどのようなものか自分の考えを述べよ(100~150) I believe that a family is something which is very difficult to describe but is very important for you. One reason is that your own family can understand you very much. For example, when you have difficulty with your future, you usually ask your family for advice. Some people may say that they talk with their friends about your trouble. Of course, they often do so. However , it is the case that they ask their family at last . People will find themselves being supported by their family. Can you imagine your life without the family ? In conclusion, There is no place like home , where your family welcome you.

• 次の英文を訳してください。

How do you stand the hardest part of running marathon? Many say that life is like marathon. Do you think that you can deal with the crisis in your life thanks to marathon? By the way corresponding with penpals, the reason I feel like I have difficulty writing is not because of my English. It is because the moment I cannot come up with anything I have to reply. Honestly speaking I am not a talkative person, but I try to talk more when writing. Nice and slow conversations are hard to come by, and the form of letter writing does put in a lot into thinking about what the other person has to say and how to respond. この二つが何となくはわかるのですが、自信がありません。教えていただけると助かります。

• 英語の問題

1:There's no one here who can () the problem. (1)deal with (2)treat at (3)perform (4)splash 2:When I was passing by your house, I thought I'd just () in. (1)ask (2)drop (3)fall (4)visit 3:The child learned to tell good () bad. (1)from (2)to (3)with (4)for 4:You'II have to work very hard today to () the time you wasted yesterday. (1)get rid of (2)run short of (3)keep up with (4)make up for 5:He wouldn't () part in the discussion. (1)let (2)get (3)put (4)take ()に入る解答と和訳をお願いします

• 次の英文の翻訳をおねがいします。

I have always taken for granted that pockets are places to put things into, and have stuffed my pockets with anything that would go into them―books, newspapers, letters, pipes, pouches, cigarettes, match-boxes, and so forth. Yet even as a boy I was discouraged from making this, as it seems to me, natural use of my pockets. I was told that, if you put things into your pockets, you spoilt the shape of your suit. This seems to me as ridiculous as it would be to say that, if you put potatoes into a sack, you spoil the shape of the sack.

• 英作文の添削をお願いします

Hello,Mr.Gene Simmons. I love KISS and their songs. I went to see your show the year before last in Japan. Do you know the band "ORANGE RANGE" in Japan? They are very popular now. Their latest CD "musiQ" is two million sold. So,ORANGE RANGE is one of the wonderful bands. When I listened to their CD "1st CONTACT" at my friend's house,I noticed one thing. I heard a part of KISS' song "Love Gun" in the tune "VIVA ROCK". I was surprised,and I doubted whether to have taken KISS' permission because there was no name KISS,BMG,Gene Simmons and so on. I want to ask whether you granted the permission for them to use it. こんにちは、ジーンシモンズさん。 私はKISSと彼らの曲が大好きです。 一昨年日本でのショーも見に行きました。 あなたはオレンジレンジという日本のバンドを知っていますか? 今、彼らはとても人気があります。 彼らの最新のCD、musiQは200万枚も売れています。 オレンジレンジは素晴らしいバンドの一つです。 私が彼らのCD、「1st CONTACT」を友人の家で聞いたとき、あることに気づきました。 私は「ビバロック」という曲の一節に、KISSの曲である「ラヴガン」の一部を耳にしました。 私は驚きました。そしてKISSの許可は取ってあるのかどうか気になりました。 なぜなら、そこにはKISSやBMG、ジーンシモンズさんの名前は無かったからです。 私はあなたに彼らにそれを使用する許可を与えたのかどうか尋ねたいと思います。 これをメールとして送りたいんですが、 メールとしての書き方や英文について間違いがあったら 添削をお願いします。