英文の意味と構造について教えてください

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 『as far back as the time of the Romans』という英文の意味や構造について教えてください。
  • Telfordの道路は馬車や自転車を使用する人々によって設計されました。
  • 『Was I concentrating hard enough on the road?』という質問は道路に集中していたかどうかを尋ねています。また、『I know if all the money spent on war was spent on ending poverty and finding environmental answers』という文の中の『war was』の意味についても教えてください。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英語の質問

次の英文の意味、というか構造がどうなっているのか分からないので教えてくださいm(.. )m as far back as the time of the Romans Telford's roads were designed for carriages drawn by horses,or by people using bicycles.←自転車を使う人によって引かれた馬車・・? Was I concentrating hard enough on the road? I know if all the money spent on war was spent on ending poverty and finding environmental answers. ← war was の箇所が特に分かりません。 ちなみに文の脈略は一切ないです。

• beskey
  • お礼率63% (247/392)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.2

* as far back as the time of the Romans 「遥かローマ人の時代までさかのぼって」とか「遥かローマ人の時代の昔に」ぐらいの意味です。far は back 「戻って」の強めです。 * Telford's roads were designed for carriages drawn by horses, or by people using bicycles. テルフォードの道は馬に引かれる馬車や自転車を使う人間によって引かれる荷車のために設計されました。 carriage は「馬車」「荷車」と訳し分けましたが、 carriages 馬車、荷車 drawn by horses→carriagesを修飾 馬によって引かれる or (drawn) by people using bicycle→carriagesを修飾 自転車を使う人々によって引かれる の様になっています。 * Was I concentrating hard enough on the road? 私は道路に十分しっかりと集中していたでしょうか?→私は道路に十分しっかりと注意を向けていたでしょうか? * I know if all the money spent on war was spent on ending poverty and finding environmental answers. 戦争に費やされるお金の全てが、貧困を終わらせることや環境(問題の)解答を見つけるために費やされたかどうか私は分かっています。 I 私は know 知っている、分かっている if ~かどうか all the money spent on war 戦争に費やされるお金の全て was spent on ~に費やされた ending poverty・・・on の目的になる動名詞 貧困を終わらせること and そして finding environmental answers.・・・on の目的になる動名詞 環境(問題)の解答を見つけ出すこと

beskey
質問者

お礼

大変参考になりました!ありがとうございます。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

1 back「戻って,さかのぼって」に far を介することで as as の構文を作り,「ローマの時代までも(遠く)さかのぼって」 2 for carriages drawn by horses or FOR people using bicycles の誤りではないでしょうか。 馬に引かれた馬車のため, あるいは自転車を使う人のため, に作られた。 3 私は,この道路に十分強く集中していただろうか。 4 I know の後,if ~「~かどうか」知っている。 all the money (which was) spent on war までが主語。 was spent on ending poverty and finding environmental answers 戦争に費やされたすべてのお金が,貧困を終わらせたり,環境上の解決策を見つけたりする のに使われた (かどうか知っている)

beskey
質問者

お礼

大変参考になりました!ありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• 英語についての質問。

War on Povertyという言葉について説明しなさい、とあるのですが、 War on Poverty was expansive social-welfare legislation introduced in the 1960s by the administration of U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson. It intended to help end poverty in the United States. It was ultimately limited in its effectiveness by the economic resources consumed by the country’s increasing involvement in the Vietnam War. こちらの文章で特におかしくないですか? 一文目二文目はいいと思うのですが、最後の一文の意味わかるでしょうか? 3分以内にwar on povertyについて説明しないといけないので…。 よろしくお願いします。

• この【its】は何を指しているんでしょうか?

この【its】は何を指しているんでしょうか? The early experiments in America were with horseless carriages- strange machines entirely different from cars today. The French machine first put on show in Paris in 1984 looks like an automobile, while the American models of the 1890's look more like horse-carriages from which the horses have run away in surprise. One reason why driving by cars began in Europe and, at the beginning, progressed more quickly there was that the roads were so much better. In no branch of social development was America so far behind Europe as in 【its】 roads. 英文自体の意味はヨーロッパとアメリカの車の歴史の対比であることは分かるんですが、【】内のitsが何を指しているのか分かりません。アメリカかヨーロッパのどちらかであるとは思うんですが、文法的な根拠が見つかりません。どなたかご教授お願いします。

• 英語の訳を教えてください

Betty passed me by on the street as if I were a stranger. Another war , and we would lose everything.の訳を教えてください

• 英語を訳してください!

I spent Saturday night in a small hotel not many miles distant from Oxford. It was a peaceful little hotel that fell quietly asleep in the darkness as soon as the voices of the last birds and the last beer-drinkers had faded into silence. Weary as a result of unaccustomed exposure to the air, I fell under the soporific influence of the place, went early to bed, and was asleep before midnight. Suddenly between twelve and one, I was awakened by a crash. The house shook as though a football team were tumbling over the furniture in the room below. A gramophone began to whine rhythmically about love. Whether it was dancing or fighting that was going on to the music I did not know, but whatever it was, the violence was such that I was surprised that the house did not come falling about my ears. 上の文章を日本語に訳していただきたいです。 特に最後の一文が分かりにくいので、面倒でしたらそこだけ訳してくださっても構いません。よろしくお願いします。

• 英訳お願いします。

Which came first, cars or roads? Today, we seem to have a vicious circle. As soon as new roads are built by our governments, they are filled with cars, so that more roads must be constructed. This race between roads and cars seems destined to go on for ever, unless the wasteful use of oil for cars is banned by some international agreement. Unfortunately, however, the chances of our reaching such an agreement are very slim indeed. Historically, the Romans were the first to bring their roads with them. Given the conditions I which they had to travel, it is a wonder that the Romans travelled at all. You can certainly sympathize with their occasional desire to stop at a fort or two. The Romans forts were, indeed, the first service stations. The Roman roads were an act of faith: namely, sooner or later there would be a point reach. The Romans would certainly have sympathized with the builders of the Humber Bridge who were accused (and still are) of building a bridge to nowhere. However, at least with a bridge you know when you have got there, no matter how pointless getting to the order bank seems to be. But with a road where do you stop? It all seems fairly arbitrary. This was probably the real reason for the expansion of the Roman Empireーthe road builders simply did not know where to halt. Had the Romans thought about it, the fall of their empire could have been avoided. The problem was the trouble-free maintenance of their roads. A few obstacles placed along the roads leading to the capital would have stopped the invaders. It is one of the ironies of history that their talent for good maintenance of roads led the Romans to their own destruction. Every time I baked or cooked anything, Daddy was going to have his life insured. I tried to feed them to the dog but he refused to ruin his health.

• 英文和訳です。

●When in Rome, talk to the Romans. That is my variation on the proverb. (by J. Rogers) これは、Do im Rome, as the Romans do. に例えたものだと思うのですが、うまい日本語訳は ありますか?

• 英語の和訳に関しての質問です。

エイブラハム・カウレー(1618-67)という人のエッセイの中の文章で意味が取れない箇所があります。 That I was then of the same mind as I am now(which I confess I wonder at myself)may appear by the letter end of an ode which I made when I was but thirteen years old,and which was then printed with many other verses. という文です。 難しくて辞書を使っても分かりません。 どなたかご教授願います。

• 英語が得意な方 和訳を助けてください。

英語が得意な方 和訳を助けてください。うまく訳せなくて困っています。よろしくお願いします。 In December 1950 Federal legislation on public assistance was passed by the Bundestag, dealing with the support of war victims, the war injured and dependants throughout the Federal Republic.

• 英語 教えてください

This coin was really worth something there. このコインはかなり価値がある something って後ろから修飾するのになぜworthが前にきてるんですか? I didn't buy as much there. このasはどういう意味ですか? くだらない事かもしれませんがちょっとひっかかりました。

• 英語の得意な方にお願いです。

英語の得意な方にお願いです。 長いですが、和訳をお願いします。 課題で和訳をしなければならないのですが、 自分なりの、和訳が合っている自信がありません。 Poverty is Denial of All Human Rights Peace should be understood in a human way - in a broad social, political and economic way. Peace is threatened by unjust economic, social and political order, absence of democracy, environmental degradation and absence of human rights. Poverty is the absence of all human rights. The frustrations, hostility and anger generated by abject poverty cannot sustain peace in any society. For building stable peace we must find ways to provide opportunities for people to live decent lives. The creation of opportunities for the majority of people - the poor - is at the heart of the work that we have dedicated ourselves to during the past 30 years. Grameen Bank I became involved in the poverty issue not as a policymaker or a researcher. I became involved because poverty was all around me, and I could not turn away from it. In 1974, I found it difficult to teach elegant theories of economics in the university classroom, in the backdrop of a terrible famine in Bangladesh. Suddenly, I felt the emptiness of those theories in the face of crushing hunger and poverty. I wanted to do something immediate to help people around me, even if it was just one human being, to get through another day with a little more ease. That brought me face to face with poor people's struggle to find the tiniest amounts of money to support their efforts to eke out a living. I was shocked to discover a woman in the village, borrowing less than a dollar from the money-lender, on the condition that he would have the exclusive right to buy all she produces at the price he decides. This, to me, was a way of recruiting slave labor. I decided to make a list of the victims of this money-lending "business" in the village next door to our campus. お願いします><