Mary's parents were too busy doing other things to have time to look after bees.

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Mary's parents were so busy doing other things that they had no time to look after bees.
  • Can 'had not time' be used to express the same meaning as 'had no time'?
  • Looking for opinions on whether 'had not time' is grammatically correct in this context.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

書き換え問題で・・・

以下のような書き換え問題がありましたが、正しい解答が分かりません。 Mary's parents were too busy doing other things to have time to look after bees. これを書き換えて Mary's parents were (so) busy doing other things that they had (  ) time to look after bees. 前のカッコは分かったのですが後ろのカッコが問題です。 解答ではnotになっていたのですが、had not timeという風に続くことが できるのか文法的に謎です。 多くの方の意見をお待ちしております。よろしくお願いいたします。m(_ _)m

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数6

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#1019
noname#1019
回答No.3

この場合、あなたのおっしゃる通り had は一般動詞の have の過去形です。ですから、didn't have にしても正解です。しかし、完了形でなくて一般動詞の have であっても意味を強調したい場合には、have not という使い方ができます。

makihiro
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。スッキリしました!

その他の回答 (2)

noname#2804
noname#2804
回答No.2

このhaveは一般動詞のhaveではないでしょうか、主文のwereに時制を合わせてhadになってるだけで。『have no time to do~』で『~する時間がない』っちゅうことですよね。

makihiro
質問者

補足

やっぱりここはnotではなくnoであるというのが世の常ですよね・・・?

回答No.1

hadはhaveの過去形だから良いと思うのですが・・・。

makihiro
質問者

補足

hadを一般動詞haveの過去形と考えるとhad notと できるのでしょうか・・・? 普通ではdidn't haveと言うはずなのですが。

関連するQ&A

• 英語問題

1:No one could (put up with) the tax reform. (1)tolerate (2)laugh at (3)look up at (4)follow 2:Every child needs someone to (look up to) and copy. (1)help (2)raise (3)respect (4)support 3:The rich sometimes (look down on) the poor. (1)despise (2)respect (3)overlook (4)help 4:Don't (make fun of) Mary's French. She's doing the best she can. (1)imitate (2)despise (3)praise (4)laugh at ()の語句と最も近い意味の語句 解答をお願いします

• 文法問題

( )に入る番号を教えて下さい! (1)If I had had enough money then,I ( )the bag. (1)could buy (2)bought(3)could have bought (4)had bought (2)I ( )you if I had enough time. (1)can see (2)could see (3)cannot see (4)could have seen (3)( )I you,I wouldn't do such a shilly thing. (1)Am (2)Would (3)Were (4)If (4)He wishes he ( )a car;taxis are so expensive. (1)can drive (2)could drive (3)will drive (4)drives (5)If it ( )your advice,we would not be able to fish this task. (1)was not (2)had not for (3)were not (4)were not for (6)( ) (1)If it was nice tomorrow,we will go there. (2)If it had been nice tomorrow,we will go there. (3)If it is nice tomorrow,we will go there. (7)( ) (1)If I only could speak French! (2)Only if I could speak French! (3)If only I could speak French! (8)( ) (1)It's almost eleven. it's time you go to bed. (2)It's almost eleven. It's time you went to bed. (3)It's almost eleven. It's time you had gone to bed. (9)You( )have brought your umbrella. It didn't rain. (1)need not (2)should (3)must not (4)can

• どのような意味でしょうか

I had this friend growing up. Our houses backed up to each other, and we were very close friends and had a lot of sleepovers at each other’s houses, so I knew her parents very well. Our houses backed up to each otherはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• adviseとpersuade(東大入試問題)

初めまして。 (a)の英文をまとめたモノを(b)とするとき、空所に適切な単語を入れるという問題です。 (a) "Really.John,"Mary said,"if I were you, I would take the money to the police." (b) Mary (   ) John to take the money to the police. 解答はadvisedとなってました。 確かに解答を見てから、なるほど、とは思いましたが、私はこの問題を最初に見た際に [persuaded]を思いつきました。 解答では1つしか示されてなかったのですが、もしこの問題で[persuaded]を選んだとしたら正答になるでしょうか? また、ならないのであれば、その理由も教えていただけますでしょうか。 よろしくお願いします。

• 適切なものを選ぶ問題です。

適切なものを選ぶ問題です。 解いてみましたが不安です。 間違いがあれば教えてください。 解説などあればうれしいです。 よろしくお願いします。 1.You will find ( ) finish the job in a day. (1)difficult it to (2)it difficult to (3)to difficult it (4)to it difficult ⇒(2)? 2.Mary need someone ( ) care of her baby. (1)who take (2)to be taken (3)taking (4)to take ⇒(4)? 3.Ms.Jones went to her office ( ) that the windows were broken. (1)finds (2)found (3)to find (4)to finding ⇒(3)? 4.My father told me ( ) in the river. (1)don't swim (2)not to swim (3)to not swim (4)swim not ⇒(2)? 5.Linda has just returned from Australia. She seems to ( ) her trip. (1)enjoy (2)enjoys (3)enjoyed (4)have enjoyed ⇒(1)? 6.Mr. Brown is ( ) to buy the car. (1)enough rich (2)rich enough (3)enough of rich (4)rich of enough ⇒(2)? 7.I don't know ( ) next. (1)what to do (2)what of doing (3)what do (4)about doing what ⇒(1)?

• 英語の問題教えてください。

同じ意味になるように( )に一語入れてください。 よろしくお願いします。 He did not go to school that day. He was( )( )school that day. Mary has not written to me since 1987. I have not ( )( )Mary since 1987. This dictionary is mine. This dictionary( )( )me. The heavy snow prevented me from coming on time. I could not come on time ( )of the heavy snow The news filled me with joy. I was( )of joy( )the news.

• 英語の記号問題ですが…

文法項目別ではなく、問題形式別だったので、難しく感じました。 解いてはみたものの、自信がないです。時制や前置詞など曖昧なものもありました。 一言で結構ですので、解答とあわせて、訳や解説を何かつけていただけないでしょうか。 お願いします。 1 By the time the fire engine arrived,the house().   アalready burned down イhas already burned down ウhad already burned down エ     would already burned down 2 You ()such a book,however interesting it may be.   アhad better not to read イhad better not read ウhad better not reading エdidn´t    have better read 3 After going over the plan,we decided()finance.   アdiscussing イdiscussing about ウto discuss エto discuss about 4 I took off my shoes()make any noise.   アbecause I イin case I ウso that エso as not to 5 Upon returning from class,().   アthe mailbox had a letter in it イa letter was found in the mail box   ウI found a letter in the mailbox エa letter would be in the mailbox 6 If you keep the warranty of this DVD player, you can have it()for free.   アfixing イfixed ウto fix エto be fixed 7 Just()he is taller than you does not mean he is better at basketball.   アbecause イso ウas エlike 8 ()of my friends have been to Japan this year.   アNumerous イSeveral ウEach エEither 9 I will have finished the work()this time tomorrow.   アtill イsince ウby エuntill 10 We were waiting for him()a cup of coffee.    アto イon ウat エover 11 There were three other people at the meeting()Mr.Smith.    アbut イbesides ウalso エas well 12 Mary is expecting her uncle to arrive()September 15th.    アof イon ウat エin 13 ()my horror,a stranger peeped into the room through the window.    アFor イWith ウBecause of エTo 14 My father often enjoys()his colleagues after work.    アtalks イto talk ウtalking エtalking with 以上です。 

• 英語の問題

1:He always had to(look to) her parents for financial assistance. (1)take care (2)disregard (3)rely on (4)bring back 2:In fact, early biographers did not hesitate to (make up) an admirable story or two about their heroes. (1)compensate (2)invent (3)imagine (4)cover 3:I am determined not to be (taken in) by this kind of story. (1)affected (2)understood (3)deceived (4)surprised 4:We'll have to (postpone) our departure for a month. (1)bring up (2)call up (3)get over (4)put off 5:She (picked out) a scarf to wear with the dress. (1)chose (2)lost (3)borrowed (4)bought ()の中の語句と最も近い意味の語句 解答と和訳をお願いします

• Even if someone were to w

Even if someone were to write a sentence or two of his diary immediately after he had finished whatever he was doing,still his diary would not be like those television cameras that follow shoppers around in book shops. had finishedは仮定法過去完了で、whatever he was doingは過去形と考えて良いですか? それともhadOCのOが後ろへ置かれた形で過去形ですか?

• ()に入る単語を教えてください!

分詞 動名詞の範囲です。 1.Other things ( ) equal, the simplest explanation is the best. 2.He needed to ( ) looked after.  He needed ( ) after. 3.As I did not wish to make him angry, I did not say any more. =( )( ) to make him angry, I did not say any more.