ハーバードとプリンストンがアーリーアドミッションプログラムを復活

このQ&Aのポイント
  • ハーバードとプリンストンは、アーリーアドミッションプログラムを再開することを発表しました。
  • 11月15日までに応募した高校生は、入学を確約することなく12月15日までに結果を知ることができます。
  • このプログラムは分詞構文を使用しています。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

分詞?の役割

英字新聞を読んでいて以下の allowing という言葉の役割が分りませんでした。 NYT FEB 28より Harvard and Princeton announced last week that they would revive their early-admission programs, allowing high school seniors who apply by Nov. 15 to get a decision by Dec. 15 without having to promise to attend the college if admitted. ざっくり意味をとらえると以下だと思います。 ハーバードはアーリーアドミッションプログラムをリバイブすることを発表した。 11月15日までに応募したSenior高校生は、入学を約束させられることなく、12月15日までにDecisionを受けられるものです。 いわゆる分詞構文でしょうか?

• hkdk
  • お礼率33% (1/3)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

付帯状況を表す分詞構文です。 「~しつつ、しながら」と前の動詞部分にかかっていきます。 今回であれば、「許しつつ」「公表した」 結局、revive 云々の内容を改めて説明しています。 日本語としては、「公表して」と前から切って訳していいですが、 決して「許す」は別の行為というわけではありません。

hkdk
質問者

お礼

こんにちは。 さっそくのコメントありがとうございます。 とても参考になりました。 新聞で多くみる分詞構文は、じっくりと読むと難しくて。。。 「日本語としては分詞の前で切ることもよいが、英語としてはあくまでAllowが前とつながってる」点はとっても素晴らしい解説でした。 ありがとうございます~。 hkdk

その他の回答 (1)

• Tacosan
  • ベストアンサー率23% (3656/15482)
回答No.1

分詞構文ですね.

関連するQ&A

• 高校留学に関しての質問

来年の九月からアメリカの高校に留学しようと思っている中学三年生のものです。 高校に資料をもらおうと思いメールをしたんですが、 Thank you for your interest in @@@@@ School. We will begin to accept and process applications for the 2015/2016 academic term early to mid fall. Each year, we seek motivated, capable, and well-rounded students from around the world who are eager to participate in the academic and extracurricular programs offered at @@@@@ School. Ojai Valley School anticipates to have a large number of strong applicants for the 2015/2016 academic term which will make the admission process very competitive. Therefore applicants who submit the required TOEFL, ISEE or SSAT exams, complete the admission process and are able to visit OVS for a personal interview will be given first consideration in the first-round of admission decisions. Also, when reviewing an applicant's file for admission, we are looking for strong and motivated students. The decision to accept a student to join @@@@@ School is based on many aspects of the student's application file ~ their character, teacher recommendations, test scores, grades and interview. Please see the admission requirements on our website for more information on the application process and to apply on-line with the following link: https://@@@@@@. All supporting documents such as the transcripts and teacher recommendations can be sent by scanned email attachment or by fax to (@@@) @@@@@. If you have additional questions, please contact our office at @@@@@. Best regards, @@@@@ School’s Admission Office Staff www.ovs.org ときました。(学校名などは伏せてあります。) この場合、資料をもらったほうが良いのでしょうか? それとも、TOEFLなどのテストを先に送ったほうが良いのでしょうか? 他にやったほうが良いことなどあれば教えてください!

• the entrance to the local 7-11.

Another hot item in Sugamo shops is red underwear. The brightly colored undershirts and underpants are coveted by many a Japanese senior, says Miyoko Kaneko, 66, who traveled from neighboring Saitama prefecture to pick up a few pairs for herself and her friends back home. "It's no good if it's not red," she says with the authority of someone who wears such things every day. "It keeps you warmer." As do the copious amounts of Japanese sake, beer and wine that stand out near the entrance to the local 7-11. という文章があるのですが、 1. by many a Japanese seniorが なぜ many Japanese seniors ではないのか 2. stand out near the entrance の stand outの主語はなにか 3. the local 7-11とは なにか。 宜しくお願いします(´_`。)

• 英文の和訳

次の英文の和訳のご教授宜しくお願いします。 But Noda , who depends on support from opposition parties to pass laws in a split parliament, becomes more vulnerable to an early election if further defections shrink his party's already slim majority. The defection of Ozawa and his followers cuts the DPJ's eats in the lower house to 250, allowing the party to keep its majority by just 11 seats.

• open the doorの訳です。

Even the cable networks said they were caught off guard by the decision of Mr. Obama’s campaign to take to the air nationally nearly 10 months before the November election, instead of just focusing on local advertising in states holding contests on Feb. 5. “We’re surprised it’s been so early,” said Greg D’Alba, chief operating officer for advertising sales at CNN. “And this will probably open the door.” 「今回はずいぶん早かったんで驚いてるよ」 「新しい展開になりそうだ」 To that end, another CNN official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said Thursday that the network had been having conversations with the Clinton campaign about the possibility of a national buy. CNN職員への取材の終わりになってもう一人のCNN職員が言った。 後半は確認なのですが toward that end「終わりになって」というのがあるのですがここでのto that endもこちらでしょうか。 文字通りto that end でやると 「そのために、CNNはクリントンと交渉を続けてきたんだ」 となりますが、文章構造上も難しいと思いました。

• $5 a pop

I am attempting a freelance-writing career after having realized that business (a decision in major that was ultimately mine, but pressured by my parents) makes me terribly unhappy. I’m so early in my career that I’m taking odd jobs for $5 a pop just trying to get experience. a decision in major that was ultimately mineの意味は「主に最終的には私の決断だった」でしょうか?あと、a popの意味をよろしくお願いします

• 訳してください!!

最近変なサイトから携帯にメールが届くんですけど、全部英語なんです。間違えて入会したのかなとか色々考えましたが、内容がわからないのでどうしようもない状態です。内容は↓ Hi. This is the qmail-send program at batch1.xavel.hmsystems.co.jp. I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses. This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out. <ここに知らないアドレスがあって>: Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. --- Below this line is a copy of the message. Return-Path: <ここに私のアドレス> Received: (qmail 26398 invoked from network); 17 Feb 2006 14:53:44 +0900 Received: from unknown (HELO docomo.ne.jp) (203.138.203.198) by 0 with SMTP; 17 Feb 2006 14:53:44 +0900 Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 14:53:28 +0900 (JST) From: ここに私のアドレス To: 知らないアドレス こんな感じです。長いので申し訳ないですが・・・。 途中の数字は日付や時間だと思うんですけど・・・。 困ってます。すみませんがお願いします。

• 大学の応募条件について(カナダ)

来年9月からカナダの大学のあるプログラムに応募しようとコンタクトを取ってみたのですが 大学からの返信が you have to be a BC resident in order to obtain admission, this would mean that you need to reside in BC for at least 12 months prior to the program start date. If you are looking to apply for September 2014, you would need to be residing in BC by September 2013 as a Permanent Resident or Citizen of Canada. と最低でも12ヶ月前にその州に在住する事を求められているのですが なぜ1年前なのでしょうか? また1年前の時点で市民権や永住権を得ておかなければいけないのでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 文と文の関係を考える 置き換え、具体化 対比

Ivy League Versus State Universities [1] State-run puclic universities in the United States have tradionally had one powerful weapon in the battle to attract talented students : thier relative cheapness. Over the last decade, this has become less signnificant.Ivy League schools ----the elite private universities on the East Coast--- have been competing to entice more students from middel-and low-income backgrounds. A dramatic point in this struggle was reached in December 2007, when Harvard university announced that all admitted students from families with incomes up to $180.000 per year would be charged at most just one0tenth of that income, rather than the universtity's normal fees. The result was that for some students, it became much cheapers to attend Harvard than thier locals state university. [2]Many analysts claim the changes have been motivated by( growing political pressure). Ivy League schools have been desperrate to shake off the perception they are more interested in their bank blanaces than the academis recoreds of applicants. For some time, some members of Congress have been grumbling about Ivy League schools' regurar increases in fees, despite thier vast endowments----funds donated to them by alumni and others. Utilizing these funds to create tuition assistace programs for the benefit of students from middle-and low-income families may well be the best way to fend off increasing critism. [3] Whatever the motive, surely these efforts to help students with less money are a good thing? Not necessarily. 質問ですが、なぜ第2段落に、growing political pressure という言葉で文意が通るのでしょうか?the need to pretect investimentsでは、なぜ文意が通らないのでしょうか?根拠は、「議会の何人かは、ivy League school の普通の授業料増加にについてギャンブルをしてきている」「多くの寄付がされてるのに」 「こういった基金を利用するにも、これからは、学生のために(低所得者の学生のために) 増えている批判をfend off しようとする最善の方法をとるだろう」といっているからです。だったら、「investimentを守る必要性」があるから」と考えると、筋が通ると思ったのですが。なぜ、間違いなのですか? その理由を一緒に考えていただけると幸いです。

• Newsの内容で。訳が??です。

reporter : later that decade, marijuana use tore paid oed. by the early '90s, as baby boomers admitted to smoking a joint didn't necessarily snuff out one's political future. この内容は、 「より最近の(その)十年で、マリファナの使用は罰金ものではなくなった。(oedはowed?の間違い?にしてもなぞです。)90年の初めごろまでは、 団塊の世代がたばこを認めていたので、一つのjoint(合法化の抱き合わせ法案? 時期的節目? a joint が??)は かならずしも その政治的未来を嗅ぎ分ける(示唆する)ものじゃなかった。」     ~tore paid oed. が??なのと a joint が?? なので よくわかっていません。 宜しくお願いいたします。 オバマ大統領のmarijuana legalization についての発言についての記事でした。    

• 緊急!!英訳の添削をしてください。助けてください。お願いします。

緊急!!英訳の添削をしてください。助けてください。お願いします。 私が今までに下した大きな決断は、短大から大学へ編入学したことです。 私は短大の授業で、「食」の栄養や調理性など食の重要性に関する知識を学ぶ中で、この先、人にとって重要な「食」を栄養・生理学的な観点から知識を深め、「食」の可能性を追求し、食を通じて多くの人に貢献したいと思いました。その思いから、短大卒業後の進路は、食品業界への就職、大学への編入学という3つの選択肢を考えました。私はその中で、分野が異なる他大学への編入学を志望しました。その理由は、その大学には「食」の可能性を追求できる研究室が存在していたからです。しかし、分野が異なる大学に編入学することは大きな決断であり、短大で学んだ知識だけでは足りないこと、編入学後は単位面でかなり苦労することなど色々不安もありましたが、粘り強く努力し、志を変えず最後までやり遂げた結果、合格することができました。 The big decision that I gave so far is that I have transfered from the junior college to the university. I thought that I pursued possibility of "the food" by what could deepen knowledge of important food for person from a poin of view nourishment and physiology in future and wanted to contribute to many people through food through I learned knowledge about the importance of the food such as nourishment and cooking characteristics of "the food" in the class of the junior college. In that case, I thought two choise, securing employment to the food industry and transfer admission to the other university. And I wished to be transfer admission to the university in different field. The reason is because there was the laboratory which can pursue possibility of "the food" at the university. However, that transfer admission to the university in different field was big decision and there were various uneasiness, the thing I was based on lack of knowledge that I had learnt at the junior colledge and the thing I had a hard time taking a unit after transfer admission, and I made tried hard and followed out without changing aim and passed the university.