• 締切済み

Arched itself into・・の意味

以下の文書の意味がよく解りません。大意でも結構ですのでアドバイスよろしくお願いします。 I was in time to see the bank they had undercut arching itself into ridges. I had seen the waves in the strata along the bank, made by old tremors; but those were only ripples. It arched itself into low hills now, and they suddenly came towards us. The whole bog was moving. ・アイルランドの湿原(bog)の周辺の土手がピートを採取するため開発されて、土手に沿って横に掘削されている。 ・数ヶ月雨が続き、このあと湿原が決壊して水が周囲に流れ出すという状態です。 ↓ これに続く文章 With the weight of years of rain and those last three months it was coming over the lower lands, and rising higher and higher as it came. For as far as I could see, left or right, it was ripping and waving. 最初のブロックのIt arched itself into low hills now, and they suddenly came towards us. のItとtheyが何なのかが解りません。よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

みんなの回答

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15294/33013)
回答No.2

#1です。補足です。   最初の it は、bank です。l字型の直線だった土手が、実線のC字型に湾曲して、(次に点線のCになり)今や低い丘(の連なり)となり、それらは、( they は hills です)我々の方に向かって来た。  とすると決壊の様子がよりよく分かるのではないかと思いました

hiro_ga2_91
質問者

お礼

SPS700様 丁寧なアドバイス大変ありがとうございます。

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15294/33013)
回答No.1

>>最初のブロックのIt arched itself into low hills now, and they suddenly came towards us. のItとtheyが何なのかが解りません。  最初の it は、bank です。l字型の直線だった土手が、C字型に湾曲して、今や低い丘となり、それらは、( they は hills です)我々の方に向かって来た。  だと思います。

hiro_ga2_91
質問者

補足

ご回答大変ありがとうございました。丘がridgeだったものがlow hillsのように湾曲しているという解釈ですね。助かります。

関連するQ&A

• frowning at the top with withered heather

And then the bog was before us;rushy lands at first,such as we call Bkack Bog; and at the end of those marshy fields,rising twelve feet above them, and frowning at the top with withered heather, lowered the red bog. アイルランドの湿地(bog)の描写の風景です。 まずはBlack Bogというイグサの野原 その湿地の先が12フィート高くなっている。その頂上は枯れたヒースであり、それが<眉をひそめている> その先は低い赤い湿原になっている。 この文章の後半部分の意味がよく解らないでいます。アドバイスを頂けると助かります。よろしくお願いいたします。

• 和訳をお願いします!I think tag

I think tag team wrestling died when Mike passed. It was the end of not just a great life but a big chapter in the wrestling history book itself as well. . . . They took on a bigger-than-life status and carried it like pros, always making sure the crowd was just as much of the match as they were, and that was the difference.” ある2人組みのプロレスラーを賞賛しているようですが、意味がどうしてもくみ取れません… 最後のthat was the differenceで、「そこが他の人たちと違うところだ」のようなことを述べていると思うのですが、肝心の「何が違うのか」がよくわかりません。 どうぞよろしくお願いします! Mikeは、そのチームの1人のようです。

• catching a cuff full of

I parked the car under the black-green canopy of three oaks, and walked towards the sound of the tennis balls. I heard an exasperated voice say, “Deuce again.” It was Brenda and she sounded as though she was sweating considerably. I crackled slowly up the gravel and heard Brenda again. “My ad,” and then just as I rounded the path, catching a cuff full of burrs, I heard, “Game!” Her racket went spinning up in the air and she caught it neatly as I came into sight. “Hello,” I called. 上記の英文でcatching a cuff full of burrs, が何を描写してるのか皆目分かりません。 よろしくお願いします。

• 意味と用法について教えてください

In January, I finally married the woman of my dreams. "Julie" was sweet and kind, with lots of love to give. Things went well for a few weeks, but then everything changed. Julie has always had issues with depression. She'd be overwhelmed from time to time but always came to me for comfort. Suddenly, she didn't want me near her when she was depressed. As hurt as I was, I gave her the space she wanted. As hurt as I wasの意味と用法について教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I recently told my parents about my cutting. It was not too serious, though at the time they had been getting a bit deeper and longer. That itself is not the problem however, as I have been finding ways to not do it, namely snapping rubber bands and silently counting until the urge goes away. That itselfはThat by itselfとも言えるのでしょうか?違いはあるでしょうか?snapping rubber bandsは「輪ゴムをパチリと留める」でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• dark and long and immanent

アイルランドのbog(湿原)について書かれた文章です。 On my left, all the way as I went, the cliff of the bog's edge stood like a wave of a threatening tide, dark and long and immanent. このimmanentが辞書を引いても内在的な、主観的な、宇宙に神が内在するといった哲学的な意味しか見当たりません。この崖が神々しいということを言いたいのでしょうか?アドバイスよろしくお願いいたします。

• 和訳をお願いします。

Then the Composite Brigade, which was still advancing, came under fire from artillery, anti-aircraft and machine-guns, was halted around 800 yards (730 m) from the Turkish lines. By 07:00 the Turkish had discovered the gap in the ANZAC Division line between the New Zealanders and the Composite Brigades and were trying to exploit it. An hour later on the southern flank the 3rd Brigade advance was halted and they were ordered to change their direction of advance towards Ard, instead of trying to circle it. At the same time closing the gap between them and the New Zealanders. The New Zealand Brigade advanced again, and at one stage it seemed like two of their regiments, may succeed in breaking into the Turkish position.

• どのような意味でしょうか

I’m 40 now, but I still feel pretty young and decently healthy. When I was growing up, in a conservative social circle, I was an overweight and insecure guy who put way too much worth on someone liking me (I’ll own up to that as my mistake). I would get the nerve to talk to cute girls and then watch them walk away mid-sentence for some athletic guy. I would hear them talking about how cute so-and-so classmate’s butt was. But it was always ground into us guys that we should never disrespect women by thinking or talking about them as sex objects. ground into us guysとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします。

• 単語の意味を教えてください。(1)

刑事コロンボを読み、わからない単語がたくさんありました。 わからない単語は、[ ]内です。 1 When Paul Drury was offscreen and touched his left earlobe with his left index finger.[offscreen] 2 “It wuz,”said McGinnis. “Guarded fer him,so's he could get off his shot.[wuz][fer] 3 Claim inconsistent with statements of numerous other witness. [inconsistent] 4 A com-symp,as everybody knows.[com-symp] 5 A murmur went through the studio audience.[murmur] 6 There was too goddamn much light on McGinnis.[goddamn] 7 They had scurried off into the cover of the brush that was encouraged to grow to ancester the soil and prevent landslides.  [scury] 8 Both of them had had angel-hair pasta under a creamy sauce of shrimp and cab. [angel- hair pasta] 9 Tim were silent as they drank their margaritas and dipped chips in the guacamole.[guacamole] 10 Make a point of calling me first thing in the ay-em.[ay-em] 11 The exquisite leather-topped desk had been splintered to force it open.[splintered] 12 the perp doesn't seem to have gone into any other rooms.[perp] 13 And they're all made of ticky-tacky and they all look alike.[ticky-tacky] 14 One bullet went in through the occipital lobe,through the parietal lobe ,and into the corpus callosum. [callosum] 15 The second shot went in through the temporal lobe, up through the limbic lobe,and all the way into the frontal lobe.[temporal lobe] [limbic lobe][frontal lobe] 他にもたくさんありますが、まずは上記分だけ御願いします。

• この英文の和訳をお願い致しますm(*_*)m

Among the regiomal international syrtems into which the world was divided that which evolved in Europe was distinctive in that it came to repudiate any hegemonial principle and regard itself as a society of states that were sovereign or independent. This non-hegemonial society was not without historical precedent:the city states of classical Greece,the Hellenistic Kingdoms between the death of Alexander and the Roman conquest, perhaps the 'period of warring states' in ancient China,may all be thought to provide examples.