スピーカーがロースクールで上位90%卒業と言った意味は?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • この質問は、スピーカーがロースクールで上位90%以内で卒業したことを話しているが、その最後の言葉「possible」の意味について知りたいというものです。
  • スピーカーがロースクールで上位90%以内で卒業したことを言って聴衆を笑わせたが、その最後のpossibleの意味について教えて欲しい。
  • 質問者は、スピーカーがロースクールで上位90%以内で卒業したことを話しているが、possibleとはどのような意味なのか知りたいとしています。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

top 90% "possible"の意味

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/dan_pink_on_motivation.html こちらの動画の1分07秒のところで、スピーカーが"I, in fact, graduated in the part of my law school class that made the top 90 percent possible."と言って聴衆を笑わせます。 ロースクールを上位90%以内で卒業したと、笑いのツボは分かるのですが、最後のpossibleがよく分かりません。 聴衆は最後のpossibleを聞いて笑うのですが、このpossibleにはどういう意味・ニュアンスがあるのでしょうか。教えてください。

• norry
  • お礼率75% (30/40)
  • 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

graduated なんだから,卒業したはずです。 that made the top 90 percent possible は関係代名詞節で,先行詞は the part (of my law school class) です。すなわち, クラスの,「...の部分」で卒業した。 どんな部分かが that made the top 90 percent possible この possible は「可能な」という意味で, make O C の C になっています。 「上位,90%という状態を可能にした」部分 クラスの「部分」という表現を用い, その部分を存在たらしめたという make ... possible で, 成績の位置を表しているわけです。 英語では成績の位置を表すのに percentile という語があって, 下から計算してどのパーセントの成績にいるかを表します。 in the 90th percentile だと,「下から90%の位置」すなわち,上位10%。 in the 10th percentele だと,上位10%。 ところが,the part that made the top 90 percent possible というのは,そのまま上から90%という位置になってしまいます。 英語としては possible まで待ってはじめてこの make ... possible という構造が完成しますので,ここで笑いが起きたのだと思います。

norry
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 文の最後に少し付け加えて、that made the top 90% possible to graduateとすると、より完全な文になって、おっしゃる説明がスッと理解できる気がします。 プレゼンでは話のテンポも重要ですし、言わなくても聴衆に伝わるであろうto graduateは省略された。 このように考えることはできますか?

その他の回答 (2)

回答No.3

>in the 90th percentile だと,「下から90%の位置」すなわち,上位10%。 in the 10th percentele だと,上位10%。 すみません,訂正します。 in the 90th percentile だと,「下から90%の位置」すなわち,上位10%。 in the 10th percentile だと,上位90%。 100ならトップだということです。

回答No.1

おそらく、norryさんは前後の話の流れを含めて全てちゃんと聴けていないのが問題でしょう。possibleは通常通りの意味(可能の意味)です。 話の流れから言うと、この人は90%の人が通るあるクラス(殆どが通るような比較的簡単なクラス)の単位を取得せずに”卒業”したと言っているみたいです。つまり普通、大学(院)では一つでも通らないクラスがあるといわゆる”卒業”はできないのですが、この人は通らずに”卒業”、つまり退学なり除籍などの処分になったのですね。possibleは一番最後の「隠し玉」的な存在の言葉ですね。この言葉を聴いて、初めてこの人が「殆ど勉強せずに簡単なクラスさえ落とし、大学院から去った」という意味になります。

norry
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 ただ、疑問に思うところがあります。この人はguraduatedと言っているので、「卒業した」のではないでしょうか。成績が良くなかったことは本人も認めているようですが、前後の文脈を見ても、kitty-naviさんのおっしゃる退学や中退のような意味は私には読み取れませんでした。もう少し詳しくご説明いただけると助かります。 またpossibleが隠し玉的というところも良く理解できておりません。possibleがそのように使われる例文があれば教えてください。

関連するQ&A

• なぜ笑っているのか教えてください。

TECの講演の途中、以下の文章のところで会場に笑いが起こるのですが、なぜおかしいのですか? we just got real busy and whip, bam, boom: 動画は、以下のビデオの1:50あたりです。 http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/tony_porter_a_call_to_men.html よろしくお願いします!

• Peeping Tom lawに関係する文章の意味

Living in close quarters and the lack of a strong Peeping Tom law are disadvantages to living in Gotham. But Dan, as a fellow New Yorker, I wouldn’t urge you to leave the city. For the time being, just do like the rest of us, and pull down the shade. I wouldn’t urge you to leave the city. これはニューヨークを離れることを要請しないだろう、、、ってなんか意味が、、、 それとこの最後の For the time being~ さしあたり、以降の文は日本語的にどう訳したらいいでしょうか。直訳すると残りの私たちのように影を下そうよ。明るみに出さない、つまり見なかったことにしようよか、終わりにしよう見たいな感じでしょうか

• 英文でわからないところがあります。

下記英文の、so I guess 以下をどう訳せばよいかわかりません。わかるかたがいらっしゃいましたら、教えていただけませんか。 よろしくお願いします。 赤ちゃんの言語スキルは子宮の中にいるときに発達し始めると研究者は考えている。Campbell はFinnをみごもった時ロースクールにいた。「私はロースクールの最後の学期を終えました。なので、・・・・・・」 Researchers think babies begin developing language skills while they are in the womb. Campbell was in law school when she was pregnant with Finn. "I was finishing my last semester of law school, so, I guess, check back with me in 30 years and see if he's a litigator, because he would definitely come alive in my corporations classes and he always heard my professors speaking," she said. ---補足--- 【前の文】 Covington Campbell started talking to her baby even before he was born. "I spoke to Finn all the time. I sort of narrated what I was doing," Campbell said, 【出展】 VOA:Researchers Finding Babies Smarter Than Previously Thought http://www.voanews.com/english/news/health/Researchers-Finding-Babies-Smarter-Than-Previously-Thought-92920154.html

• 英文の構文と意味がわかりません

2006年のエッセーで少し古いのですが、 http://st.japantimes.co.jp/english_news/essay/2006/ey20061013/ey20061013main.htm?print=noframe %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% As I write these words, Shinzo Abe has just been named Japan's 90th prime minister. As his election had been widely expected, both Japanese and English media reports have featured him lately. Unfortunately, many liberal writers have unnecessarily cranked up their panic machines over Abe's conservative views. Words like "nationalist" and "hawkish," for example, are used frequently in a Sept. 19 article in the Washington Post. Likewise, Michael Zielenziger writes in the LA Times on Sept. 25 that Abe's election "raises fears that [Japan's] long-repressed well of virulent nationalism, buried just beneath the surface, could again rise up." What has Abe done to spur these horrible worries? According to Mr. Zielenziger, the fact that Abe "envisions Japan as a 'country that can be proud of its history and culture,'" which he goes on to warn is "a nod to the virulent strains of nationalism still frighteningly potent within Japanese society." Methinks Mr. Zielenziger has a problem distinguishing between healthy patriotism and "virulent nationalism." Abe has suggested that he would visit Yasukuni Shrine as prime minister. The "obvious" message in this action, if we are to believe Mr. Douglas Lummis in his Sept. 15 essay here, is that ("if [this logic is] carried to its conclusion...,") the prime minister believes Japan's war criminals were heroes, he rejects the judgment of the Tokyo War Crimes Tribunal, and he thinks that Japan is no longer bound by the 1952 San Francisco Peace Treaty. Those are some hard-to-swallow conclusions, given that Abe (and Koizumi before him) has stressed repeatedly in speeches that Japan's relations with the United States are the cornerstone of the nation's foreign policy. I also find it remarkable that many leftists, Korea and China continue to harp about Yasukuni visits, claiming they are a celebration of Japan's military past, or the class-A war criminals. This is despite the fact that the latter makes up a mere 0.00057 percent of the 2.5 million souls enshrined at Yasukuni, and that Koizumi himself has made clear, ad nauseam, that he only visits the shrine to pray for peace. Apparently those opposed believe they are capable of reading the prime minister's mind. I'm surprised that Abe's politics even show up on the radar of the left, given the condition of the United States under George W. Bush. The nationalism and hawkishness that permeate present-day U.S. foreign policy completely surpasses anything coming out of Japan. Compared to Bush, Abe is positively middle-of-the-road. Somehow I don't see him rewriting the Constitution to permit the invasion of a nation in the Middle East in a misguided attempt to promote democracy. There's a fine line between patriotism and nationalism. One dictionary defines nationalism as "excessive patriotism, marked by a feeling of superiority over other countries." If Abe does, in fact, feel Japan is superior, he's got good reason: The country's low crime, high longevity, superb infrastructure, near-100 percent literacy, spectacular high-technology and world-leading medical care are all justifiable sources of pride (and part of why I've made But let's give the man some time to get to work and show his true colors before we start plastering him with questionable labels. We're still a very long way from the days of his grandfather. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% 上記の第三段落の the fact that Abe "envisions Japan as a 'country that can be proud of its history and culture,'" which he goes on to warn is "a nod to the virulent strains of nationalism still frighteningly potent within Japanese society." この部分の構文が分かりません。the fact がどこにかかるのか、the fact とwhich は同格なのか、which は何を指してどこにかかるのか? また最後の We're still a very long way from the days of his grandfather. ですが、 安倍首相の祖父の岸信介氏の安保闘争の時代ですから60年前ですね。その60年が長いと言ってるのでしょうが、still が入って意味が分かりにくくなってしまいました。この文は何を言いたいのでしょうか? 宜しく。

• ドイツ軍に関連する英文の和訳で困っています

和訳を教えていただきたいです よろしくお願いします The suppression of the events of 17 June was in fact convenient for Adenauer, particularly since it validated the policy he had been pursuing up until then and to advise against talks at Four Power level in the light of Soviet repression in the GDR and their continuing support for the SED, even though for tactical reasons he publicly called for them. The events of 17 June strengthened his position both in the alliance with the Western powers and in internal politics, as the elections of 6 September prove. After a delayed return from Vienna on 18 June, he protested to the Americans. In no uncertain terms, he called for ‘the mobilization of all forces to put an end to the madness’. Later he declared in a radio speech ‘that people can surely not in the long term be held down by martial law, bayonets and thanks’. Annoyed at the lack of obedience, the Party members who participated were given a telling off. Even the governing mayor was reprimanded over his behavior.

• 添削してください

*全文訳していただかなくて大丈夫です。 The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps) is a federally-financed but state-administered program that provides food assistance to people of limited income and assets. President Trump’s Fiscal Year 2018 budget proposes making states partially responsible for financing SNAP, phasing in the state share of spending to 25 percent in six years. In addition, this option would make more narrow reductions to the program, including eliminating increased benefits for those getting low-income energy assistance, tightening work requirement waivers for able-bodied adults, and limiting automatic eligibility (regardless of income and assets) to those also receiving low-income cash benefits. かなり長いので全文訳していただかないく大丈夫です。 ここで言われていることを簡単にまとめると、 「国家管理プログラム=低収入、および低資産の人々に食料(?)の援助をすること」 *これは資金(お金)ではなく、食料を援助する、ということですよね? そして最後の文章なのですが 「低所得者でこのプログラムの支援を受けている人の増加をなくす(減らす?)。優秀な成人の労働条件の撤回を強化する。」 その後がわからないのですが(and limiting automatic eligibility (regardless of income and assets) to those also receiving low-income cash benefits.)こちらを簡単でいいので訳していただけないでしょうか? また、私の訳文が違っていたら、そちらも訂正してもらえると有難いです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英字新聞の翻訳 添削のお願い その2 

(1)China is the largest producer in money terms, earning more than euro44 billion ($64 billion), or 1.4 percent of its gross domestic product. (2)The U.S. ranks 17 in the production of clean technologies with 0.3 percent of GDP, or euro31.5 billion ($45 billion), but those industries have been expanding at a rate of 28 percent per year since 2008. (3)"The U.S. is growing substantially, so it seems the policy of (President Barack) Obama is working," Pols said. But the U.S. cannot compare with China, he said. (4)"When you speak to the Chinese, climate change is not an ideological issue. (5)It's just a fact of life. While we debate climate change and the transition to a low carbon economy, the debate is passed in China," Pols said. (6) "For them it's implementation. It's a growth sector, and they want to capture this sector." (7)The report was prepared by Roland Berger Strategy Consultants, a global firm based in Germany. (1)中国は金額的に440億ユーロ(640億ドル)より多い,すなわち国内総生産の1.4%である最大の生産国である. (2)米国はGDPの0.3%がクリーンテクノロジーの生産量で17位にランクされる.すなわち315億ユーロ(450億ドル)であるが,2008年以来,年率28%の割合で伸び続けている. (3)オバマ政権の政策が働いて(機能)しており,実際,米国は成長しているが中国とは比べものにならない.と彼(ドナルドポルス:前回の部分で登場)は述べた. (4)中国について述べるとき,気候変動はイデオロギー的な問題ではない. (5)こららは,現在の問題である.我々が気候変動および低炭素経済を議論している間,議論は中国において見逃されたとPolsは述べた. ← この訳は特に~of life と the debate is passed に自信がありません. (6)それら(クリーンエネルギーor参加国)にとって,それは現実である.成長部門であり,彼らはこの成長部門を獲得しなくてはならない. (7)この報告書はドイツに本拠地を置く世界的なドナルドボルス戦略コンサルタントによる作成されたものである.

• top-downの意味について教えてください。

top-downを辞書でひくと、「上意下達方式の」、「全体を決めてから細部にいたる」とありますが、これ以外に意味はあるのでしょうか? というのは、スポーツカーがどうたらと車の話をしている英文を聞いたときに、このtop-downという言葉が聞こえたような気がして気になったのです。 例えば、雨のときなどにするオープンカーの上の部分(?)のことをこのtop-downで表したりするものなのでしょうか?私の単なる聞き間違いや意味の取り違えかもしれませんが、どなたか教えてください。

• トップのアイコンの意味が分かりません。

トップのアイコンの意味が分かりません。 yahoo!のトップにオークションの覧がありますが、その表示の横に青いイナズマのようなアイコンがあります。これはいったい何の表示なんでしょうか?

• 「トップを落とせばあとは簡単」という意味のことわざ

はじめまして。「トップを落とせばあとは簡単」という意味のことわざがあったと思うのですが、どんな言葉だったでしょうか?確か荘子?か誰かの言葉だったような・・・。よろしくお願いします。