• 締切済み

日本語と英語の比較

いつもお世話になっています。 以下の言語的事実を表している文を分析するという課題が出されました。 1 日本語は自然とそうなるという表現を好む「ナル」言語であり、英語は同じ事態を構成する上で「ス ル」という表現を好む「スル」言語である 2 英語は所有表現を好む「HAVE言語」であり、日本語は存在表現を好む「BE言語」である 自分でも探してみたのですが、以下の文がこれらに当てはまっているか確認をお願いします。 「ナル」と「スル」 (1)アリスはそのとき土手の上で、姉さんのそばにすわっていたけれど、何もすることはないし、たいくつでたまらなくなってきてね。 ALICE was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank and of having nothing to do (2)脳神経外科で国内有数の北原脳神経外科病院(東京都八王子市)が来年早々、カンボジアに進出することが明らかになった。 Kitahara Neurosurgical Institute, one of Japan's leading neurosurgical medical centers, is planning to build a large-scale general hospital in Cambodia, a first for a Japanese hospital, it has been learned (3)前の世紀がモノの豊かさを追求する時代であったならば、21世紀は人材、文化、知恵が、豊かさの基盤としてますます求められることになるでしょう。 If the previous century was an age in which we pursued material affluence, the twenty-first century should be one in which human resources, culture, and wisdom are increasingly sought as the foundations of well-being. 「HAVE」と「BE」 (1)アリスはそのとき土手の上で、姉さんのそばにすわっていたけれど、何もすることはないし、たいくつでたまらなくなってきてね。 ALICE was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank and of having nothing to do: (2)姉さんの読んでいる本を一、二度のぞいてみたけれど、挿絵もなければせりふもでてこない。 once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, (3)石炭や鉄といった資源・材料の共有を目的に設置された共同体が、通貨や外交政策まで共有する連合に発展し、これが20世紀の地域共同体のモデルとなりました。 This Community, established with the goal of sharing the resources and materials of coal and steel, developed into a Union which even has a common currency and foreign policy, and this became the twentieth-century model for regional communities. (4)民間から出資を募る株式会社病院とし、7年かけて医科大学を併設する大規模総合病院(1000床規模)とし、東南アジア各国から患者を呼び込む計画。将来的には現地で株式上場を目指す。 Officials plan to make the hospital a private corporation that will receive its funding from private sector investors and hope to have the hospital listed on Cambodia's stock market. よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数6
  • ありがとう数4

みんなの回答

noname#231624
noname#231624
回答No.6

> 「スル」と「ナル」についてのことなのですが、2と4は受動態でbe動詞が含まれているので、この例にはあてはまらないのでしょうか…? 最初に書いたように、英文中の本動詞と日本語の述語を見比べた場合には、問題なく当てはまると思います。 ただ、考えているうちに 『どうなんだろう。。。』 という疑問がわいてきたので、 > つまり、be-動詞が含まれています。 > それは関係ないんでしょうか? 。。。と疑問をなげかけてみた訳なのです。 言語学を学んだわけではないので、私の感覚での発言であることをお許しいただきたいのですが、私は 『過去分詞』 自体が受身的な意味を持っていると思っています。 過去分詞の形容詞的用法を考えていただくと分かりやすいかと思うのですが、例えば、 I'm bored. 。。。という文章があります。 この場合、受動態の形を取っていますがそうではなく、『be-動詞+形容詞』 として考えますよね。 でも、もともと、“bored” は他動詞の “bore” (退屈させる)の過去分詞形なんですよね。 また、be-動詞には、『なる』 という意味があります。 で、『退屈させられた』 という状態に 『なる/なっている』 と言うのが本来の意味だと考えます。 それを日本語らしく訳すと、『退屈だ』 ですね。 っま、“bored” は既に過去分詞の形容詞的用法の枠を出て、それが一つの形容詞となってしまっているのですが。。。 無理やり同じように(2)の文章で考えると、 It has been learned. 『(みんなに)知られる』 という状態に 『なった/なっている』 → 明らかである 。。。なのではないかと思います。 文法学的には間違った考え方であることは十分に承知しているのですが、そのように考えた場合、本動詞はbe-動詞になり、意味も 『なる』 になってしまうのではないか。。。というのが、私が 『どうなんだろう???』 と思った部分なのです。 ん~、やっぱり、私の考えすぎかも知れませんが。。。^^; meysunさんは大学生の方ですか? 関係のない話ですが、私自身、大学ではあまり勉強しなかった方なのですが、今は勉強したくて仕方がありません。 今回のご質問に対しても、私は回答したというよりも、いろいろ考えさせていただいています。 でも、それに対する答えをもらうことは今の私にはできないんですよね。 かと言って、私には大学や大学院に戻る時間的・経済的余裕がなく。。。(涙) 考えたことに対して答えをもらうことが出来る学生の方々が羨ましいです。 沢山のことを学んでくださいね。^^

noname#231624
noname#231624
回答No.5

言語学ですか? 言語の比較研究はしたことがないので、meysunさんの書かれたご質問の内容と、他の方へのお礼に書かれている内容からだけで判断しましたので、間違っていること請け合いです(笑)が、非常に面白そうだったので参加させていただきますね。^^ > 「ナル」と「スル」 (1) 退屈でたまらなく『なる』 vs. “get” very tired 。。。ですね。 この場合の “get” は自動詞であり、後ろに形容詞を伴って “become” と同じような意味になるので、微妙かな。。。と思います。 ただ、広く使われている他動詞の意味には、『得る』 であったり 『持ってくる』 という意味があるので、それが根底に流れている大元の 『意味』 であると考えれば 『する』 の意味が出てくるので、そのように比較できなくもないのかな。。。とは思いますが、どうなんでしょう。。。 (2) 明らかに 『なる』 vs. has been “learned” 。。。でしょうか。 これは文句なしに、『なる』 と 『する』 になっていると思います。 (3) 求められることに 『なる』 vs. are “sought” as 。。。でしょうか。 この場合も、大丈夫だと思います。 ただ、少し気になるのが、(2)と(3)には共通する点があり、それが受動態であることですね。 つまり、be-動詞が含まれています。 それは関係ないんでしょうか? すみません、よく分かってないが故の疑問です。^^; > 「HAVE」と「BE」 (1) 何もすることが 『ない』 vs. “having” nothing to do 。。。ですね。 いいと思います。 (2) 挿絵も 『ない』 vs. “had” no pictures 。。。ですね。 これもいいと思います。 (3) 通貨を共有して 『いる』 vs. “has” a common currency 。。。ですかね。 これも大丈夫だと思います。 (4) その病院を株式市場に上場 『させる』 vs. “have” the hospital listed on Cambodia's stock market 。。。でしょうか。 この場合、“have” は使役動詞になるので、英語からみると 『所有表現』 と考えられそうな気がしますが、日本語から考えて、『存在表現』 と言えるのか、少し疑問に思いました。 “上場して 『いる』 状態にさせる” と考えられたのかな。。。とは思いましたが、“have” の意味は 『させる』 の方であるので、違うのではないかな、というのが私の考えです。 これも、よく分かっていないが故の勘違いなのかも知れないですが。。。^^; 参考にも何にもならないような回答ですみません。

meysun
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 言語学の課題です。 「スル」と「ナル」についてのことなのですが、2と4は受動態でbe動詞が含まれているので、この例にはあてはまらないのでしょうか…? 日本語の「ナル」表現と、英語の他動詞ばかり気にして、受動態ということに目がいきませんでした…。

回答No.4

but/buy PS: My impression is that most Japanese prefer to describe a "static" notion of agent/object in a passive tense rather than an active tense.

回答No.3

>日本語の発想の特色として、「…する」よりも「…なる」という考え方をし I'm afraid you misunderstand my point. My question is, “how can you verify the statement above when you see both terms are used in Japanese sentences below. It's not convincing to me at all. >(1)アリスはそのとき土手の上で、姉さんのそばにすわって[いた]けれど、何も<する>ことはないし、たいくつでたまらなく[なって]<きて>ね。 >(2)脳神経外科で国内有数の北原脳神経外科病院(東京都八王子市)が来年早々、カンボジアに進出<する>ことが明らかに[なった]。 >(3)前の世紀がモノの豊かさを追求<する>時代で[あった]ならば、21世紀は人材、文化、知恵が、豊かさの基盤としてますます求められることに[なる]でしょう。 >2 英語は所有表現を好む「HAVE言語」であり、日本語は存在表現を好む「BE言語」である I don't know about this. I'm not gonna but such a generalized statement. There are so many English verbs that describe the meaning of possession, such as "claim", "hold", "take", "own", "possess", "acquire", "obtain", "seize", "steal", etc. Besides, Japanese term " [イル] does not always stand for person's status; it is used in that way not because it describes the status but because of the declension-- change of its word form in collocation.

回答No.2

>「ナル」と「スル」 (1)アリスはそのとき土手の上で、姉さんのそばにすわっていたけれど、何もすることはないし、たいくつでたまらなくなってきてね。 (2)脳神経外科で国内有数の北原脳神経外科病院(東京都八王子市)が来年早々、カンボジアに進出することが明らかになった。 (3)前の世紀がモノの豊かさを追求する時代であったならば、21世紀は人材、文化、知恵が、豊かさの基盤としてますます求められることになるでしょう。 I don't know what you are exactly trying to achieve with this engagement. Look at these Japanese sentences above. It doesn't make sense if you suggest that Japanese sentence style be 'static" in this case, because all of they contain both terms.

meysun
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 私の質問の仕方が分かりにくかったようで、すみません。 補足説明しますので、よろしくお願いします。 1 日本語は自然とそうなるという表現を好む「ナル」言語であり、英語は同じ事態を構成する上で「スル」という表現を好む「スル」言語である これは、日本語は情況がおのずからそう「なる」といった捉え方を好むのにたいして、英語では〈もの〉が他の〈もの〉をある新しい状態に「する」という捉え方を好むということです。 (例) Spring has come.    春に<なった>。 日本語の発想の特色として、「…する」よりも「…なる」という考え方をし、英語の発想は、「なる」よりも「する」という考え方をするようです。 「する」は他動詞で、「なる」は自動詞なので、その比較になると思います。 2 英語は所有表現を好む「HAVE言語」であり、日本語は存在表現を好む「BE言語」である これは、〈BE言語〉とは、〈所有〉の関係を表示する際に、本来は〈存在〉を表すのに使われる動詞(英語のbeに相当する動詞、日本語の場合なら「アル」や「イル」)を用いる言語、〈HAVE言語〉とは同じ場合に本来なら〈所有〉を表す動詞(英語のhaveに相当する動詞、日本語の場合なら「持ッテイル」)を用いる言語、ということです。 (例)I<have> two children.   (私には)子どもが二人<いる>。 ご回答よろしくお願いします。

回答No.1

>1 日本語は自然とそうなるという表現を好む「ナル」言語であり、英語は同じ事態を構成する上で「ス ル」という表現を好む「スル」言語である OK. Can you tell me the difference between these two Japanese terms? Is this a mere difference between intransitive and transitive verbs in Japanese context? >2 英語は所有表現を好む「HAVE言語」であり、日本語は存在表現を好む「BE言語」である Do you mean that Japanese language style tends to be “static” and “passive” while English counterparts is “dynamic” and “active”? > ALICE was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank and of having nothing to do: Alice was getting bored since she had nothing to do but sitting by her sister on the bank. >once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, I opened my sister’s book a couple of times, but I saw neither illustrations nor dialogues in there. >This Community, established with the goal of sharing the resources and materials of coal and steel, developed into a Union which even has a common currency and foreign policy, and this became the twentieth-century model for regional communities. A local/regional community, founded with a goal of sharing natural resources and materials such as coals and steels, eventually became a standard model of regional communities in the 20th century, as they developed into <national/regional> <labor> unions dealing with the currencies and foreign policy. >Officials plan to make the hospital a private corporation that will receive its funding from private sector investors and hope to have the hospital listed on Cambodia's stock market. The Ministry of Health and Welfare proposes a 7-year-plan to establish large-scale (up to 1000 beds) general hospitals with adjunct medical schools by privatizing national and university hospitals. The newly formed private hospitals accept the patients from nationwide as well as from south East Asia. They plan to go public and enter into the market of healthcare industry.

meysun
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 二つ目のお礼欄に補足説明します。 上の7つの例文がそれぞれ 「なる」言語、「する」言語 HAVE言語、BE言語 に当てはまっているか自信がなかったので、確認をお願いしたかったのです。。 よろしくお願いします。

関連するQ&A

• 英語不思議な国のアリス

不思議な国のアリス 冒頭を訳してるんですがとてもおかしいです 何かアドバイスお願いします。 Alice was begin to get very tired of sitting next to her sister by the river and of haveing nothing to do : アリスはたくさんてにいれるためにセッティングしようと試み始めていたのだった 次に彼女は川と何もないことを抱いていた

• 日本語訳で困っています。

以下の英文の日本語訳ができません。だれかお願いします。 (1)You don't really notice how special it is until death looks you in the eyes. (2)My sister and her friend jumped into our backyard pool to cool off. (3)My mom would always watch all of us very closely, but just for a minute, she had walked over to the other side of the yard to talk to my dad. (4)She told my sister to watch out for me, but my sister was busy laughing and having fun with her friend. (5)No one heard me because I was so little; there was hardly a splash.

• 言語的事実の比較

課題が出されたのですが、やり方がいまいち分からないので、どなたか良い方法を教えてください。 課題の内容は、日本語版と英語版の同一内容の文章を比較するというものです。 1.日本語は自動詞構文を好み、英語は他動詞構文を好む 2.日本語は自然とそうなるという表現を好む「ナル」言語であり、英語は同じ事態を構成する上で「スル」という表現を好む「スル」言語である (例)I found that I wanted to see him again.    私は彼に会いたく「なった」。 3.英語は所有表現を好む「HAVE言語」であり、日本語は存在表現を好む「BE言語」である (例)I 「have」 two children.   私は子供が二人「いる」 上記の三点の言語的事実が実際の翻訳物でも用いられているかどうか調べるという内容です。 調べるのは、動詞になると思うのですが、どの範囲まで調べれば、正確な結果がだせるでしょうか? 例えば、 (1)自動詞と他動詞の数を数えるときは、述語動詞だけではなく、準動詞も動詞として数にいれるべきか。日本語の動詞はどのように数えればいいのか。 (2)2と3の言語的事実を調べるときも全ての動詞を対象とするべきか。 具体例を出しておきます。 以下のような文章ではどのように数えて比較すればいいでしょうか? <英語版> Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, "and what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?" <日本語版> アリスはそのとき土手の上で、姉さんのそばにすわっていたけれど、何もすることはないし、たいくつでたまらなくなってきてね。姉さんの読んでいる本を一、二度のぞいてみたけれど、挿絵もなければせりふもでてこない。「挿絵もせりふもない本なんて、どこがいいんだろう」と思ってさ。 アドバイスなど何でも結構です。 どなたかご回答よろしくお願いします。

• 英語の文を日本語にしてください。

(1)Japan`s trade with the outside world from the 14th to 16th centuries brought many new influences. Kabocha, the much-loved green-skinned pumpkin, was introduced via Cambodia by the Portuguese in the 16th century. (2)There are a few problems in Hawaii, but in general people have learned to live together in peace. They call Hawaii the Aloha State. Aloha means both hello and goodbye. よろしくお願いします。

• この英語を日本語に訳してください。

この英語を日本語に訳してください。 Last Sunday, when I was waiting for a friend in front of tha atation, I met my elderly neighbor. She had a big bag with her, and she was going to walk across the street. When the light turned green, I helped her with her bag, and we walked across the busy street together. She said ''Thank you'' many times to me. That made me very happy.

• 英語長文です。答えを教えてください。

About fifteen years ago a little girl was sitting in a rusty wheelchair outside the central hospital of Maputo, the capital of Mozambique. The girl had no legs and she was perhaps ten years old. Her name was Sofia. Today, Sofia is one of my closest and dearest friends.(1No one has taught me as much as she about the conditions of being human. )Nor has anyone taught me more about poor people's unprecedented power of resistance--those who are forced to survive at the bottom of society in a world we all share and inhabit :so unjust and brutal. It was early in the morning. Sofia and her sister were running along a small road in her village. Sofia knew very well that she and her sister should keep to the road. There was something she called (2earth crocodiles) buried in the ground by the side of the road and they could snap at you. The girls were running. Children play, as it is their given right, and they forget, which is also their given right. With her right foot Sofia accidentally stepped to the side of the road. She put her foot on a land mine. However, (3the mine had been placed in the ground in such a manner that the major part of the explosion that followed was directed at her sister Maria, )who died instantly. Sofia was brought to the hospital, drenched in her own blood. The doctor who took care of Sofia when she arrived at the hospital said, "Since she was so seriously damaged, we were hoping that Sofia would die along with her sister. Her legs torn apart, her chest blown to pieces, everything." Yet Sofia survived. She had greater strength than the entire military industrial complex that tried to take her life, which continues to hold the poor hostage, the poor who cannot defend themselves (4on equal terms. )Within her body and mind Sofia carried with her the strong will to ( 5 ) of the poor people of the world. Today, Sofia has become a symbol all around the world of the resistance against the usage of land mines. For many young people, she has become a heroine. She is a heroine for me as well. When I saw Sofia walk with her new artificial legs, I experienced profound happiness in my life. At that very moment I also claimed what would later be my, as well as Sofia's, motto in life. "It is never too late! Everything is still possible!" In an instant her life was blown apart, but she resisted and she fought back. Nothing could defeat her. What Sofia brings me is hope, hope for the future. Her (6indomitable) spirit cannot be broken. 問題 1.下線部(1)を日本語に直しなさい。 2.下線部(2)と同じものを具体的に表す語句を本文中からそのまま抜き出しなさい。ただし、単複数の別は問わないものとする。 3.下線部(3)を日本語に直しなさい。 4.下線部(4)の意味として最も適切なものを選びなさい。 (1)対等に (2)条件付きで (3)仲良く (4)同じ用語で 5.空所(5)に入れるのに最も適切なものを選びなさい。 (1) learn (2) walk (3) resist (4) play 6.下線部(6)の意味として最も適切なものを選びなさい。 (1)impossible to discourage (2) having an optimistic view of life (3) independent-minded (4) very friendly and helpful 7.本文の内容に合うものを2つ選びなさい。 (1)About fifteen years ago, the author visited the central hospital of Maputo to see one of his closest friends, Sofia . (2) It was quite natural for Sofia and her sister to forget about land mines buried in the ground while running along the road. (3) Sofia was so hopelessly injured that the medical staff at the hospital gave up doing anything to help her survive. (4) Among those around the world who are against using land mines, Sofia is admired as a symbol of resistance. (5) The author decided his motto in life on seeing Sofia walk with her new artificial legs.

• 日本語訳をお願いいたします。

Hampshire, named to commemorate the English county, was laid down by Armstrong Whitworth at their Elswick shipyard on 1 September 1902 and launched on 24 September 1903. She was completed on 15 July 1905 and was initially assigned to the 1st Cruiser Squadron of the Channel Fleet together with most of her sister ships. She began a refit at Portsmouth Royal Dockyard in December 1908 and was then assigned to the reserve Third Fleet in August 1909. She recommissioned in December 1911 for her assignment with the 6th Cruiser Squadron of the Mediterranean Fleet and was transferred to the China Station in 1912. When the war began, she was in Wei Hai Wei, and was assigned to the small squadron led by Vice Admiral Martyn Jerram, commander-in-chief of the China Station. She was ordered to destroy the German radio station at Yap together with the armoured cruiser Minotaur and the light cruiser Newcastle. En route the ships captured the collier SS Elspeth on 11 August and sank her; Hampshire was too short on coal by then to make the island so Jerram ordered her back to Hong Kong with the crew of the Elspeth. At the end of the month, she was ordered down to the Dutch East Indies to search for any German ships at sea, narrowly missing the German light cruiser Emden. The German ship had not been reported since the war began and she sailed into the Bay of Bengal and began preying upon unsuspecting British shipping beginning on 14 September.

• 英語の文章を日本語訳して下さい。

Lusitania did not carry enough lifeboats for all her passengers, officers and crew on board at the time of her maiden voyage (carrying four lifeboats fewer than Titanic would carry in 1912). This was a common practice for large passenger ships at the time, since the belief was that in busy shipping lanes help would always be nearby and the few boats available would be adequate to ferry all aboard to rescue ships before a sinking. After the Titanic sank, Lusitania and Mauretania were equipped with an additional six clinker-built wooden boats under davits, making for a total of 22 boats rigged in davits. The rest of their lifeboat accommodations were supplemented with 26 collapsible lifeboats, 18 stored directly beneath the regular lifeboats and eight on the after deck. The collapsibles were built with hollow wooden bottoms and canvas sides, and needed assembly in the event they had to be used. This contrasted with Olympic and Britannic which received a full complement of lifeboats all rigged under davits. This difference would have been a major contributor to the high loss of life involved with Lusitania's sinking, since there was not sufficient time to assemble collapsible boats or life-rafts, had it not been for the fact that the ship's severe listing made it impossible for lifeboats on the port side of the vessel to be lowered, and the rapidity of the sinking did not allow the remaining lifeboats that could be directly lowered (as these were rigged under davits) to be filled and launched with passengers. When Britannic, working as a hospital ship during World War I, sank in 1916 after hitting a mine in the Kea channel the already davited boats were swiftly lowered saving nearly all on board, but the ship took nearly three times as long to sink as Lusitania and thus the crew had more time to evacuate passengers. Lusitania, commanded by Commodore James Watt, moored at the Liverpool landing stage for her maiden voyage at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday 7 September 1907 as the onetime Blue Riband holder RMS Lucania vacated the pier. At the time Lusitania was the largest ocean liner in service and would continue to be until the introduction of Mauretania in November that year. A crowd of 200,000 people gathered to see her departure at 9:00 p.m. for Queenstown (renamed Cobh in 1920), where she was to take on more passengers. She anchored again at Roche's Point, off Queenstown, at 9:20 a.m. the following morning, where she was shortly joined by Lucania, which she had passed in the night, and 120 passengers were brought out to the ship by tender bringing her total of passengers to 2,320.

• 日本語を英語訳したのですが、合っていますか?

伝えたいことを英語にしてスピーチする授業があるのですが、これで合ってますか……? あってなければ、直しや表現の修整をお願いします!! 【日本語】 私の家族を紹介します。彼女の名前はリベラです。彼女は猫です。私達はいつも彼女に癒されています。1年前、私の友達の家で生まれたのをきっかけに、彼女は私達の家にやってきました。もう今では大切な家族の一員です。 【英語】 I will introduce my family. Her name is Rivera. She is a cat. We are always healed her. 1 year ago, in the wake of was born in the house of my friend, she has been doing in our house. And on the other now is a member of the important family. よろしくお願いします!!

• 日本語訳をしてください

題名の通りです。お願いします! In 2002, it was admitted at a conference that the temperature control system in Sputnik” had failed. Also, the spacecraft had been designed quickly and little care was given to protecting the life inside. In fact, it was said that the capsule was designed poorly to test haw long a living creature could put up with dangerous conditions. The little while dog was a victim of humankind’s selfish aims and behavior. Oleg Gazenkov, the scientist who chose and prepared Laika for the mission, had this to say: “The more time passes, the more I am sorry about it. We did not learn enough from the mission to justify murdering an animal.” The little victim not only has a plaque in her honor, but she has appeared on postage stamps in many countries in honor of her sacrifice. Chocolate and cigarette brands have been named for her. There is a memorial website for her as well. More than 50 years after her death, Laika is still one of the most famous dogs of all time.