Why is Fourteen a Sad Day for Men of Their Family?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In this English problem, the phrase 'Fourteen,' his father said. 'Always a sad day for men of our family.' is given. The question is about the interpretation of this phrase. The answer choice C suggests that fourteen is a bad age for the men of their family. The person asking the question wants to know if choice C is correct.
  • The given English problem involves a statement made by the father: 'Fourteen,' his father said. 'Always a sad day for men of our family.' The person asking the question wonders if answer choice C, which suggests that fourteen is a bad age for the men of their family, is the correct interpretation of the statement.
  • This English problem revolves around the phrase 'Fourteen,' his father said. 'Always a sad day for men of our family.' Answer choice C proposes that fourteen is a bad age for the men of their family. The person asking the question seeks confirmation on whether choice C is the correct interpretation of the statement.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英語の問題です。

”Fourteen,”his father said. "Always a sad day for men of our family."という文に対して以下の問題です。私はCが答えだっと思ったのですが合ってますか? "Fourteen," his father said and continued, saying that...... a. the fourteenth was always an unhappy day for their family. b.the fourteen sad days for the men of their family had arrived. c.fourteen was a bad age for the men of their family. d.fourteen was always a sad number for the men of their family.

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

少々議論の余地がありますが、この中から選ぶのなら答えは C です。 “Fourteen,” his father said. “Always a sad day for men of our family.” 「14」と彼の父親は言った。「我々一族の男にとっていつも悲しい日だ」 “Fourteen,” his father said and continued, saying that… 「14」と彼の父親は言って、その後、次のように続けた。 【A】 a. the fourteenth was always an unhappy day for their family. 『14日はいつも彼ら一族にとって不幸な日。』 → 父親は「14」と言ったのであって、「14日」ではりません。14日の事を14とは省略しません。よって、これは答えではありません。(貴方が "th" を "Fourteen" の後に付け足すのを忘れたので無い限り) → もし父親が “Fourteenth” と言ったのなら、これが答えです。 【B】 b. the fourteen sad days for the men of their family had arrived. 『14日間の悲しい日が彼ら一族を訪れた。』 → 冒頭の文は “Always a sad day” 、つまり単数なので、複数の14日ではありません。よって、これは答えではありません。 【C】 c. fourteen was a bad age for the men of their family. 『彼ら一族の男にとって14とは悪い年齢である。』 → 父親が言った「14」が年齢の事だとする(その可能性は大です)と、14歳になる日と言うのは “sad day” になります。 → もし貴方が "th" を "Fourteen" の後に付け忘れたのなら、これは答えではありません。「14歳の誕生日」などの場合は "the fourteenth birthday" ですが、単に「14歳」と言う時は "fourteen" と言う事はあっても "fourteenth" とは言いません。その場合は、上記 A が正解です。 → ちなみに “Always” は「『毎回』誰か男が14歳になる度」の “always” です。「14歳になった後の1年間『いつも/ずっと』」と云う意味ではありません。 → 回答Cは「14とは悪い年齢」になっており、「14とは悪い年齢になる事」ではないので、多少議論の余地はあります。しかし他の答えは明らかに間違いなので、この中から選ぶとしたら C が答えです。 → 本当に正しい答えは次の通りです。 “fourteen was a bad age for the men of their family to become.” 「彼ら一族にとって14とは悪い年齢になる事である」 (最後に “to become” を付け足しただけで大分意味が変わります) 【D】 d. fourteen was always a sad number for the men of their family. 『14はいつも彼ら一族にとって悲しい番号である。』 → 冒頭の文は “a sad day” であり “a sad number” ではありません。よって、これは答えではありません。

その他の回答 (1)

• marbleshit
  • ベストアンサー率49% (5033/10253)
回答No.1

これだと正にあみだくじでしょう。全文、或いは前後の脈絡が無ければ、全く判断できないと思いますよ。

関連するQ&A

• 英語の問題について

古い英文学なのですが、この物語の中の父親の人物像について、どのようなものだと書かれていますか? 書かれている部分とその意味を教えてください。 Father made a great point of our getting down to breakfast on time. I meant to be prompt, but it never occurred to me that I had better try to be early. My idea was to slide into the room at the last moment. Consequently, I often was late. My brothers were often late, too, with the exception of George. He was the only thoroughly reliable son Father had. George got down so early, Father pointed out to me, that he even had time to practise a few minutes on the piano. The reason George was so prompt was that he was in a hurry to see the sporting page before Father got hold of the newspaper, and the reason he then played the piano was to signal to the rest of us, as we dressed, which team had won yesterday’s ball game. He had made up a code for this purpose, and we leaned over the banisters, pulling on our stockings and shoes, to hear him announce the results. I don’t remember now what the titles were of the airs he selected, but the general idea was that if he played a gay, lively air it meant that the Giants had won, and when the strains of a dirge or lament floated up to us, it meant that Pop Anson had beaten them. As Father didn’t approve of professional baseball, we said nothing to him about this arrangement. He led his life and we led ours, under his nose. He took the newspaper away from George the moment he entered the room, and George said good morning to him and stepped innocently into the parlour. Then, while Father watched him through the broad doorway and looked over the political headlines, George banged out the baseball news for us on the piano. Father used to admonish him with a chuckle not to thump it so hard, but George felt that he had to. We were at the top of the house, and he wanted to be sure that we’d hear him even if we were brushing our teeth. George always was thorough about things. He not only thumped the piano as hard as he could but he hammered out the tune over and over besides, while Father impatiently muttered to himself, “Trop de zèle.” Upstairs, there was usually some discussion as to what kind of news George was sending. He had not been allowed to learn popular tunes, which it would have been easy for us to recognize, and the few classic selections which were available in his little music-book sounded pretty much alike at a distance. George rendered these with plenty of goodwill and muscle but not a great deal of sympathy. He regarded some of the rules of piano-playing as needlessly complicated. The fact remained that he was the one boy who was always on time, and Father was so pleased by this that he bought a watch for him with “George Parmly Day, Always on Time” engraved on the back. He told me that as I was the eldest he had meant to give me a watch first, and he showed me the one he had bought for me. It was just like George’s except that nothing had been engraved on it yet. Father explained that to his regret he would have to put it away for a while, until I had earned it by getting down early to breakfast. Time went on, without much improvement on my part. Dawdling had got to be a habit with me. Sometimes my lateness was serious. One morning, when breakfast was half over and I had nothing on but a pair of long woollen drawers, Father called up from the front hall, napkin in hand, that he wouldn’t stand it and that I was to come down that instant. When I shouted indignantly that I wasn’t dressed yet, he said he didn’t care. “Come down just as you are, confound it!” he roared. I was tempted to take him at his word, but thought there might be some catch in it and wouldn’t, though I hurried, of course, all I could. Father ate his usual hearty breakfast in a stormy mood, and I ate my usual hearty breakfast in a guilty and nervous one. Come what might, we always ate heartily. I sometimes wished afterward that I hadn’t, but it never seemed to hurt Father.

• 英語の問題

( )に入る適当な語をいれなさい。 1.私の家族について話したいと思います。 I ( )( )( ) talk about my family. 2.彼の写真を見てみよう。 Let's ( )( ) look at his pictures. 3.私は彼の話を疑い半分に受けとめた。 I took his story with a ( ) of ( ). 4.ジョンはとても親切だ、そして自分は彼に好きだ、とメアリーは言った。 Mary said that John was very kind,and ( ) she liked him. ちょっとわからなかったので よろしくお願いしますm(_ _)m

• 英語の訳をお願いします!!

Whether the family has a mother or not has no influence on a child's chances of surviving. To the researcher's surprise, what was effective in improving children's chances of survival was not the presence of their father's mother but of their mother's mother.

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

I was doing some last-minute Christmas shopping in a toy store and decided to look at Barbie dolls for my nieces. A nicely dressed little girl was excitedly looking through the Barbie dolls as well, with a roll of money clamped tightly in her little hand. When she came upon a Barbie she liked, she would turn and ask her father if she had enough money to buy it. He usually said "yes," but she would keep looking and keep going through their ritual of "do I have enough?"  As she was looking, a little boy wandered in across the aisle and started sorting through the Pokemon toys. He was dressed neatly, but in clothes that were obviously rather worn, and wearing a jacket that was probably a couple of sizes too small. He too had money in his hand, but it looked to be no more than five dollars or so at the most. He was with his father as well, and kept picking up the Pokemon video toys. Each time he picked one up and looked at his father, his father shook his head,"no".

• 過去完了

We met a family from Switzerland who were living in Barcelona indefinitely. Their son was four and regularly allowed to take his bike and play across the courtyard for hours alone, going in and out of the park, zipping around making friends. This was his normal and I realized in that moment I had always lived in an elevated state of stress and had always been a tense parent. I had always livedのところはなぜ過去完了なのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英語の添削お願いします。

この文章を添削していただけませんか? 「父は昔、テーブルマナーに厳しかったが、現在は注意しなくなった。」という内容です。 特に、時制は正しいかを知りたいです。 長文ですが、よろしくお願いします。  My father would often say to me, “Table manners are important for you.” When I was a child, my father was strict on table manners. He was always stern with me, but he was especially fastidious about table manners. For example, he said, “Don’t put your elbow on the table.”or “Don’t speak while eating anything.” These examples are general table manners. That is why he used to make a big fuss over my table manners, every time I ate.  Furthermore, My father was pedantic about even trivial matters. For instance, he said, “Don’t leave even a single grain.” This was really difficult for me. When I finished eating, I had to show my rice bowl to my father, because he wanted to check if I had eaten every grain of rice. If hadn't, I had to eat again. This bothered me, but I now realize that eating even the last grain of rice was to show my respect for a person who had cooked for me.  I hated such my father when I was a child. However, as I got older, he no longer told me about my table manners. Probably, this was because he could not find any faults in my table manners which I must have improved since. Now, I can understand his strictness on table manners. Mealtimes are not only the time when we eat something but also the time when we can enhance friendship with someone. Good table manners make the other feel good, but bad manners hurt their feelings. Therefore table manners are very important.  Thanks to my father, I don’t have any problems about them. These days, parents are not strict on table manners. However, I think that parents should show good table manners to their children. I want to be a father who is strict on table manners like my father in the future.

• 中学2年生 英語

「私の家族は父と母と姉の4人です。」 My family is four people of, a father, a mother, and an eldre sister. これで合ってますか?と塾の先生に聞いたところ My family is four , father, mother, and an eldre sister. と直されました。 ただ母親(英語は一般常識レベルです)は おかしいのではないか・・・と言うので困っています>< My family is four people of, father, mother, and aneldre sister. これが正しいのでしょうか? 回答お待ちしております。

• 同じ意味になるようにするには( )には何が入りますか?

同じ意味になるようにするには( )には何が入りますか? Bobby was sad because he lived far from his family. Bobby was sad (    )(    ) far from his family. お願いします

• 携帯にいきなり英語のメールが来た

誰か分かる方いますかI left them, answered Ariel, searching for Ferdinand, whom theyby their = parents with the terrors of it.presently opening his eyes, and seeing his = dear Hermia, recovered his and silly amusements of those around them.cousin said Beatrice O that I = were a man! Hear me, Beatrice!with fatigue and hopeless of any relief, a = countryman chanced to pass Rosalind carved on the trees, and lovesonnets fastened to them, all situation he was found by Silvia, and in this manner it came to = pass.Gratiano then said that he loved the lady Portia's fair waitinggave = his ring away to the counsellor, and then the boy, his clerk,roots in = characters, and sauced their broth, as if Juno had been sick, yet it counts nothing base or unworthy so as it can but do = serviceshelter, and with his talk about devils frighted the fool, one = ofher worthy father. While she was speaking, Helena wept in sad and constantly losing the effect which is caused by the first sight either constantly losing the effect which is caused by the first sight = eithertake the dish away. Extreme hunger, which had abated the pride = ofdisposition of Petruchio's wife, and these fond bridegrooms seemedat = sunset he was doomed to die, if he could not pay the money. her noviciate in the convent, and it was her intent after = passingreasoning, for he denied that it was possible for any ?

• 以下の英語の問題について、教えて下さい。

以下の各問について(1)~(4)の4つの文のうち語法・文法上間違っているものを選んでください。 全て合っている場合は「間違いなし」とお答えください。また、その理由もあわせておねがいします。 【1】 (1) I prefer red wine to white one. (2) To where is the capital of Italy? (3) How long will the train start? (4) All that glitter are not gold. 【2】 (1) It was N.Y. that I was born. (2) I think difficult to get rid of the bed habits. (3) Let Tom and me help you with your work. (4) He smiled in spite of oneself. 【3】 (1) He is something like his father. (2) Any doctor say something to please his patients. (3) Each boys have their own room. (4) They were talking each other. 【4】 (1) He is a best student of his all classmate. (2) Either he or I are responsible for it. (3) What did you say such a thing for? (4) What do you like this dress? 【5】 (1) Paris is the city which I want to live. (2) He is just that I expected him. (3) I heard which sounded like footsteps. (4) I could not believe what he said. 分量が多くなってしまいましたがよろしくおねがいします。