The Fascinating History of Gingerbread

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Discover the fascinating history of gingerbread, from its origins in England to its elaborate creations in the sixteenth, seventeenth, and eighteenth centuries. Queen Elizabeth I even had gingerbread molded in the image of her guests!
  • Gingerbread has been enjoyed in England since the thirteenth century, with Chaucer mentioning it in his writings. It grew increasingly elaborate over the centuries, and Queen Elizabeth I even hired a special artist-baker to create gingerbread lords and ladies.
  • Experience the rich history of gingerbread, from its early fame in England to its intricately molded creations in the royal court of Queen Elizabeth I. Discover the royal connection to gingerbread and how it became a beloved treat for guests.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

一文一文が長く困っています。

生姜についての文なのですが、一文一文が長く翻訳に困っています。 文法に疎いので翻訳お願いします。 By the thirteenth century ginger and gingerbread were well known and appreciated in England. In the fourteenth century Chaucer, who seems to have been food-conscious,records: “They sette hym Roiall spicerye and Gyngerbreed.” Throughout the sixteenth,seventeenth,and eighteenth centuries gingerbread grew ever more elaborate. Queen Elizabeth I of England, never one to deny a sweet tooth,knew that her guests were fond of gingerbread, especially if the cake was molded in the image of the guest to whom it was offered. A gingerbread likeness proved to be so successful a conversation piece,Elizabeth I hired a special artist-baker, whose sole work was the creation of gingerbread lords and ladies to amuse and flatter her courtiers. 

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

13世紀になると、ショウガやジンジャーブレッドは、英国でよく知られ賞味されるようになった。  14世紀には、食べ物には凝り性であったと思われるチョーサーが「(ショウガは)王室香辛料部御用達となりジンジャーブレッドも(そうなった)」と記録している。  16,17,18世紀と、ジンジャーブレッドはますます手の込んだ物となった。  甘い物には目のないイギリスのエリザベス一世女王は、特に客の顔かたちの型に入れたジンジャーブレッドは、客の受けがいいことを知っていた。  人の顔かたちに似せたジンジャーブレッドは、話の種として非常に受けがよく、エリザベス一世は、女王が廷臣たちを喜ばせ、あるいは機嫌を取るため、ジンジャーブレッド製の王侯貴族を作るためだけの、専門の彫刻家兼パン焼き職人を雇った程である。

syo6411
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました!

関連するQ&A

• この文の構造と訳お願いします。

It is now almost a century since a literate woman was sufficienty a curiously to have the fact of her sex noted every time her literary activities were mentioned, and so authoress is going out of use.

• 英語の訳をお願いします!

Sometimes a person‘s whole life can be changed in an instant.Elizabeth Blackwell‘s life changed one afternoon in 1844 when she went to visit a friend who was dying.As Blackwell later described the scene, the dying woman asked her why she did not think of studying medicine, since she was smart and healthy.When Elizabeth reminded her friend that there were no women doctors,the woman sighed and said that if she had been treated by a ‘lady doctor,‘ she might not be dying.At that time, it was not considered proper for women to talk about or know anything about the human body. Elizabeth‘s sick friend had been so ashamed to mention her internal problems to a man that she hid her pain for too long.When she finally sought treatment, it came too late to save her life. Elizabeth couldn‘t get the dying woman‘s suggestion out of her mind. She decided to devote her life to medicine. To earn money for her medical training, Elizabeth took a teaching job in North Carolina.It happened that the principal of the school where she worked was a medical doctor.He had lots of medical books,and Elizabeth  to read them was free when her teaching work was done.She wrote to twentyーnine medical schools asking for admission.Most didn‘t even reply, and the ones that did were very rude.Friends suggested that she dress up as a man to attend medical school, but Elizabeth wanted to be accepted for what she was.A small medical college in NewYork finally said ‘yes.‘ Elizabeth graduated in 1849 at the head of her class,the first woman in the United States to receive a medical degree. 

• この文の構造と訳お願いします。

It is now almost a century since a literate woman was sufficientlya curiosity to have the fact of her sex noted every time her literary activities were mentioned, and so authoress is going out of use. No one could have foreseen, fifty years ago, that woman were sooon to do so much that men had thought they alone could do that to attempt to call attention to it would burden the language.

• これらの文がうまく訳せなくて困っています。

これらの文がうまく訳せなくて困っています。助けてください。よろしくお願いします。 Now, however, it’s hard to know who the hostess is because almost no women wear hats any more. When a woman removed her hat indoors it meant that she was “relaxing”, and the custom was for her to keep her hat on unless her host asked if she would not be more comfortable without it. This custom, too, is no longer observed. Clip-ons and screw-ons have been around since the seventeenth century, making them rather recent innovations. Previously, almost all ear decorations were of the pierced variety. Coming to the Yayoi Period, however, there is nothing that can be identified as an ear ornament. It may be because ear ornaments were made of wood or bamboo such as is seen in Southeast Asia, and these materials did not survive the centuries.

• これらの文がうまく訳せなくて困っています。

これらの文がうまく訳せなくて困っています。助けてください。よろしくお願いします。 The results of the single-list elections to the Volkskammer in the years from 1950 to 1986(i.e. in the periods of Walter Ulbricht and Erich Honecker), show a cluster of ‘Yes’ votes developing clearly in parallel and a turnout in the election giving percentages that look rather suspicious. The numbers were all well over 90 per cent, ranging towards the 100 per cent mark. With a turnout, for example, in1986 of 99.74 per cent with 99.4 per cent ‘Yes’ votes, the suspicion of fraud was obvious. The constitution of the GDR was reminiscent of the Weimar one in form. Germany was referred to as an ‘indivisible democratic republic’ based on Lander.

• 文の中からkeywordが探すを手伝ってください。

Mahalia Jackson Mahalia Jackson was born into a preacher's family in 1911, and she grew up in a riverfront shanty in New Orleans. She was motherless at five, working as a maid and loudness in her mid-teens. As a little girl, she would whisper to herself before she went to sleep, "someday the sun is going to shine down on me in some faraway place." In pursuit of that dream, Mahalia migrated to Chicago when she was still a teenager. She never expected to support herself by singing, and by the time I joined her, the hands she used so expressively in her performances had scrubbed floors, laundered and helped her earn a living as a hotel maid, factory worker, beautician and florist. But her remarkable voice brought her more and more invitations to sing-at funerals, in churches, at concerts. And, through her warm friendly personality and a life based on sound spiritual values and hard work, she eventually found her place in the sun. 1. It is stated in the passage that Mahalia ----. A) had no mother during her whole life B) lived in a fashionable house in New Orleans C) was orphaned when she wasn't even a teenager D) become a servant at the age of five E) grew up in a religious family 上記の文に対し、問1の答えはC)です。この文のどこにorphenedだと書いてあるのか教えてください。motherless ではないし、preacher's familyに born in するということから判断するのでしょうか?  お願いします。

• これらの文がうまく訳せなくて困っています。

これらの文がうまく訳せなくて困っています。助けてください。よろしくお願いします。 The GDR constitution also offered a handy pretext for a justice system that, increasingly, acted politically, proceeding by targeting opponents of this new German partial state and carrying out harsh measures against them. It soon became clear that this constitution was a contradiction with the elements in itself that were based on a state system recognizing legal rights and in contradiction to real democratic conditions. In 1952, without reference to the populations concerned and the representatives of the Lander of Brandenburg, Mecklenburg Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia, these historic Lander were replaced by fourteen ‘Bezirke’(counties). No change to the constitution was considered necessary for this.

• 英語の訳をお願いします!!

I was in the cafe by the north entrance to the station, reading my paper and having a coffee .I had an appointment with a client nearby and I was killing time because I'd arrived half an hour early.I suddenly heard a terrible shout, and when I looked out of the window,I saw that a woman was in the middle of the crossing. I assumed she'd fallen off her bicycle because it was lying on the tracks and all her shopping had come out of her basket.People were calling out to her from the road.Some were telling her to stay put and others were telling her to get off the crossing. She didn't seem to know what to do.She just say there.One of the waiters in the cafe saw this and ran out to get her.

• これらの文がうまく訳せなくて困っています。

これらの文がうまく訳せなくて困っています。助けてください。よろしくお願いします。 At first it was a matter of tentative exploration and putting out feelers on the part of Georges Bidault and Robert Schuman from the related political party, the MRP(Mouvement Republicain Populaire ) in France. At issue was the tricky question of the resolution of the Ruhr question and who the Saarland belonged to. It was not until the Elysee Treaty, signed on 22 January 1963 in Paris, wrongly referred to as the Franco-German Treaty of Friendship (it was just called the Franco-German Treaty), that avenues for closer cooperation were opened up, creating the preconditions for a reconciliation.

• これらの文がうまく訳せなくて困っています。

これらの文がうまく訳せなくて困っています。助けてください。よろしくお願いします。 The declared ‘search for security’ (as Eckart Conze calls it) of the Germans in the Federal Republic was to be carried out by means of the creation of a new army and its being equipped with nuclear weapons, giving rise to the contradictory situation that this policy simultaneously led to a threat to military security for Germans in East and West and an increase in their political insecurity, particularly since the potential for conflict and confrontation between the GDR and the Federal Republic was heightened. With his one-sided and undisguised Western policy and his style of governing, Adenauer shaped an era that was characterized by an American, transatlantic and francophile attitude and, at the same time, conservative and authoritarian models. The main concerns of the Federal Chancellor, who was strongly oriented towards the Rhineland, were the determined concentration on achieving sovereignly for the West German state and the forcing through of Western integration in the teeth of strong opposition from the SPD. Adenauer was consciously prepared to accept the resulting division of Germany by giving the impression in public that unity could only be achieved through Western integration and a ‘policy of strength’ towards the USSR.