• 締切済み

テキストにのってたMy grandfather died befor

テキストにのってたMy grandfather died before I was born. I never met him. これはI have never met him. じゃないのかな?と思ったのですが、ネイティブによるとI have never met him.もOKと。でもI never met him.もありみたいなのですが、どういう違いなのでしょうか???

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数3

みんなの回答

回答No.2

過去完了は、「~したことがある」という経験を言うことができる言い方です。 I have been there.(そこへ行ったことがある)のように。 なので、シンプルに考えて、 I never met him. →彼には一度も(=never)会わなかった。 I have never met him. →彼には一度も会ったことがない。 の違いだと思いますよ。 日本語だって、どちらでも言えるでしょ?

MuckyDuck
質問者

お礼

そっか、シンプルに考えればそうですね、わかりやすかったです。ありがとうございます。

回答No.1

すでに my grandfather は亡くなっているわけです。 When he was alive「存命中に」という過去時におけることですので, それに対応する主節になる I never met him も過去形ということになります。 When I was young, I lived in Tokyo for five years. When I was young, I visited Tokyo many times. when I was young という過去時のことで, 現在完了にはなりません。 よくこれまでも質問されていますが,過去完了にもならないのです。 (過去完了は過去までの経験で,young より前に住んだり,訪れたりしたことになる) 今回,もちろん,when he was alive の時点で I は生まれていないわけですが。 I have never met him. という現在完了はすでに亡くなっている人については用いないとも言えますが,I の方は今も生きているわけであり,I が主語であるので可能だと思います。 特に when he was alive というのを念頭におかず, I の方の all my life「生まれてから今までずっと」と考えれば現在完了になります。

MuckyDuck
質問者

お礼

んん、ちょっとむずかしいのですが… つまり、この文は「自分はその当時会ってない」という言い方をしたかったからこう書かれただけなんでしょうか…?? 自分はすぐに現在完了を使うクセがついてるのでオヤ!と思ってしまったのですが…

関連するQ&A

• 現在完了形の過去分詞

こんばんは☆初めて質問させていただきます。 現在完了の経験について勉強していたときに疑問に思ったのですが・・ まず3つ例文を挙げさせてもらいます! 1.I have met him before. 私は以前彼に会ったことがある。 2.Have you ever seen her? あなたは今までに彼女に会ったことがありますか? 3.I have not never seen my grandfather. 私は一度もおじいちゃんに会ったことがありません。 これらの文では過去分詞は全て”会う”という意味のものですが、 seeの会うなのか、meetの会うなのか、どちらを使わないといけないという決まりはありますか??それぞれ過去分詞を入れ替えても使えますか?わかりやすい回答お願いします!

• ドラマの台詞です。

二つのドラマを観ていて、過去の経験について語ってるシーンでの時制の違いが、どんな意味の違いを生むのかわかりませんでした。 1、刑事さんが、主人公の霊能者に手術を受けていたことを告白するシーン Went in 23 days ago. I have never been so scared. The doctor cracked me open like a walnut. 2、親しい部下が、嘘発見の権威の主人公にいままで黙っていたことを告白するシーン He came to me in the middle of night before our first session. Not to my office, to my house. My house. And I'd never seen him before, and I never saw him again. 1の"I have never been so scared." と2の"I'd never seen him before" で現在完了と過去完了で異なっている理由を教えて下さい。 自分は、1の方が話し手の意識が初話時点にあって、2の方は話し手の視点が過去のある期間にあるからかな、と思っています。 宜しくお願いします。

• 強調構文について

I met him yesterday.のyesterdayを強調したい時って It was yesterday that I met him.になりますよね。 で、Iを強調したい時って It was I that met him yesterday.になると思うんですが、 It was me that met him yesteday.でもOKですかね? くだらない質問ですいませんm(_ _)m よろしくお願いします

• 英文 順番

もしその不動産屋に会ったことがなければ、彼に紹介してあげますよ。という英文が If you have never met the real estate agent, I'll introduce you to him.だったんですが I'll introduce you to him,if you have never met the real estate agent. これじゃ駄目なのでしょうか? 教えてくださいm(_ _ )m

• wait out my feelings

My father died two years ago from complications due to alcoholism. It was a long time coming, and I lived on the other side of the country and did not want to deal with the daily aspects of his care. My mom took care of him as he died but only in the most cursory ways—feeding and housing him. In all other ways she seemed to hate him: freezing him out and ignoring him when he spoke. I firmly believe that my mom should have left him, and it makes me angry at her for staying with him and enabling his alcoholism. I am having a lot of trouble talking to my mom now. I feel angry every time we speak. I currently can’t afford counseling, so my only strategy is to avoid her and wait out my feelings, which since my dad’s death have wavered between clinginess, distance, annoyance, and anger. wait out my feelingsはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• grind on

I've had a crush on my brother's friend for years. I invited him to the birthday party I threw for my brother, and I also invited my best friend. Bestie had never met Crush before, but she knew of my crush. They spent the evening together, flirting and getting more touchy-feely the more they drank. She was grinding on him by the end of the night. ここでのgrinding onはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 文法問題です。わかる方教えてください

次の各文中で( )のitが指しているもの、もしくは表している意味を選択肢から答えよ。 問1:(It) was snowing heavily last night. (1)その場の状況 (2)時 (3)天候 (4)明暗 (5)距離 問2:How far is (it) from here to the amusement park? (1)その場の状況 (2)時 (3)天候 (4)明暗 (5)距離 問3:(It) is not clear when my grandfather was born. (1)その場の状況 (2)天候 (3)clear (4)When my grandfather was born 問4:I make (it) a rule never to mix business with pleasure. (1)その場の状況 (2) a rule (3)business (4)never to mix business with pleasure 問5:Laura always uses my computer without permission, and I don't like (it). (1)その場の状況 (2)Laura (3)my computer (4)Laura always uses my computer without permission

• 問題といてください

できたら和訳もお願いします!! 1 (1)We arrived at the cinema at 10:00, but the movie (starts/has started/would start/had started) at 9:30. (2)I (went/was going/have gone/have been) to Tokyo Disneyland three times so far. (3)We stayed inside while it (rains/is raining/was raining/has rained). (4)When (are you clean/did you clean/have you cleaned/are you cleaning) your room? (5)Please call me when he (comes/came/has come/will come) back tomorrow. (6)We don't know when the earthquake (happens/will happen/will be happening/have happened). (7)A friend of mine (arrive/arrived/is arriving/have arrived) in Narita next week. (8)Jack (watches/is watching/was watching/has been watching) TV since he came home. (9)If I go to hokkaido once more, I (visit/visited/have visited/will have visited) it three times. (10)We learned that Columbus (discovered/was discovered/has discovered/had discovered) American in 1492. (11)We will go on a picnic if it (is/was/will be/has been) fine tomorrow. (12)I recognized him at once, because I (saw/would see/have seen/had seen) him before. 2 日本文の意味になるように空所に適切な語を入れなさい。 私のおじいさんが死んで5年になる。 (1)My grandfather ( ) five years ago. (2)My grandfather has been ( ) for five years. (3)It has been five years ( ) my grandfather died. (4)Five years have ( ) since my grandfather died. 3 2文が同じ意味になるように、空所に適切な語を入れなさい。 (1)This is the most wonderful scenery I have ever seen. =I have ( ) ( ) such wonderful scenery as this. (2)Beth began to play the piano three hours ago, and is still playing. =Beth ( ) ( ) ( ) the piano for three hours. (3)I lost the key to my room and I don't have it now. =I ( ) ( ) the key to my room. (4)He went to China and he isn't here now. =He ( ) ( ) to China. (5)I brought a mobile phone yesterday, but lost it this morning. =This morning, I lost the mobile phone which I ( ) ( ) the day before. お願いします!!

• 英語の関係詞について

The place at which she met him was my house.  は The place which she met him was at my house. に書き換えても文法的には正しいのでしょうか?

• nor の使い方。

I had never met him in my life , nor he me. nor のこんな使い方あるのでしょうか。 nor + 主語 + 目的語 ? 文法的にどう解釈すればよいのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いいたします。