• ベストアンサー
※ ChatGPTを利用し、要約された質問です(原文:見て頂けると幸いです、よろしくお願いします。)

Current State of Affairs: Attention and Conviction

このQ&Aのポイント
  • If you hadn’t asked me to write these letters, I probably wouldn’t have paid nearly as much attention to what’s going on here. This letter-writing suggestion is a good one: it keeps you alert and focused outward.
  • The current administration has in many ways undermined much of what America stands for. For example, no president in our history has tried so hard to take away our individual civil rights and freedoms. But now the public seems to be rebounding from and reacting to all this illegal spying and suppression with renewed conviction. We want our democracy back! Also, despite all their claims to the contrary, our current leaders have set the cause of environmentalism back at least 20 years.
  • But when my father spent a few days in the hospital recently, the doctors and nurses and aides who took care of him were of every race, religion, and ethnic group imaginable.

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

1) > ここで起こっていることに関してほとんど同じくらいの相当な注意を向けなかった as much attention (as) ... ではなくて as much attention to ... となっているので、「ここで起こっていることには大して注意を払わなかった」という意味ではないのかなぁと私は思いました。 > この手紙を書く提案は 意味はきちんと理解できますが、もう少し噛み砕いた表現をしてもいいのではないでしょうか。 > それはあなたを外交的で注意深く集中しているように保ちます ここの you は、一般的に「ひと」を表していて、必ずしも「あなた」だけを含むものではないのではあるまいか、と思われます(「人をして~させるのですね」みたいな感じではないでしょうか)。 [拙訳] こういう手紙を書いてみてはどうかと言われなかったら、ここの現状について、それほど関心を持たなかったかもしれません。手紙を書いてみたらどうかというご示唆は、とても有用でした。物事に関心を持ち、外の世界への注意も向けるようになりました。お礼申し上げます。 2) > どんな大統領も、それほど一生懸命に、私たちの個々の市民権と自由を取ろう(奪おう)としませんでした 「どんな~も~ない」というパターンですね。私だったら、「わが国の歴史上(in our history)、・・・した大統領はいなかった」と訳すかもしれないな、と思いました。 > with renewed conviction これが、all this illegal spying and suppression with renewed conviction というひとかたまりであるとも見えるので、悩ましいところです。 > それと反対な彼らのすべてのクレームにもかかわらず their claims to the contrary とありますから、いわば主語に当たるのは they ということになると思います。 > 環境保護主義の原因を遅らせて cause には「運動」という意味もあるので、私はそちらを取りました。 > 私たちの現在のリーダー(=大統領?)は leaders と複数形なので、「政権の中枢にいる政治家たち」という意味ではないかと思います。 [拙訳] 現政権は、さまざまな面で、アメリカという国が象徴するものを踏みにじりました。たとえば、わが国の歴史上、市民的権利(公民権)や自由を、これほど強引に奪おうとした大統領はおりません。けれど、いまや、大衆は信念を新たにして、これら違法なスパイ行為や弾圧に対する反発を強めています。私たちは民主主義を自分たちの手に取り戻したい! また、現政権で権力を握る人たちは、自分たちはそれを否定していますが、環境保護運動を20年は遅らせています。 3) imaginable は「およそ考えられる限りの」と訳せないこともないでしょうが、「一番最後に訳す形」というのがどういうものか、ちょっと想像がつきません。 [拙訳] でも最近わたしの父が入院した時の場合だと、世話をしてくれた医者も看護士も助手も、それぞれ人種や宗教や民族といったものはばらばらでした。 4) > 私は虚無的な気持ちで、前向きな気持ちです 矛盾することをいってるので、そのニュアンスを入れてもいいかもしれないです。 > あわてます dismay は「落胆する」という表現の方が近いという気がします。 [拙訳] とにかく、わたしは今、悲観してるのに楽観的で、感銘を受けてるのに落胆してるの。さっき言ったように、こんぐらがってるわ。 * 思いつきでいくつかコメントしてみましたが、あくまでも私の読みでしかありません。性急な読み方をしたために誤っているところもあるかもしれません。素人の参考意見(?)のひとつくらいにとっていただければと思います。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 英訳お願いします。

You're going to be proud of me, Marcie. Guess what I have in my lunch...an apple! Where is it? I know I put it in here this morning.. Here it is..underneath all the doughnuts. この訳がうまく出来ないのでお願いします。 あと、 This is perfect. I'll just lie here just in front of our mailbox and watch all of my valentines come in.. I'm surprised that no one else has thought of doing this.. このストーリーの訳もお願いします。

• 動詞のlogic

Our landlord is selling our house, so we’ve decided to move rather than roll the dice on what the new owner might bring. We weren’t able to find anything suitable in our current area, so we settled on something in a much more suburban area. All of a sudden I have a 40-minute commute instead of a 10-minute walk to work, and I’m away from friends and other social opportunities. It’s only a year lease, but I feel straight-up devastated, and for the past few days I’ve been kind of randomly bursting into tears. I really feel as though I’m grieving, and I’m not able to logic myself out of this funk—even though I know that in the grand scheme of things, this is a relative nonproblem. logic myself out of this funkの意味は何でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I can make a start with the window. I have to start somewhere, after all. I tell myself that I will think about the exhibition, and the paintings, while I work; and this sounds so convincing to me that I almost start to believe it. (前回の終わりの部分です) Chapter Three I do get to the paintings eventually. In the afternoon, I buy what I need to mend the broken pane, and more besides; heavy bags of tools and materials for which I am bound to find a hundred uses. I buy house paint, too: emulsion for the walls, to get them back the way they were – the way they should be. I set out all I have bought on the sitting-room floor, and go to work to fix the window. All through the afternoon, in the easy rhythm of working with my hands, the past comes, floating up around me and threatening to engulf me; and I fight it back, trying to stay in the here and now, trying to gain control. Sometimes – most of the time – I manage it. I can’t understand why this is happening to me now; and why so strongly, so – insistently. Jamie and Anna. I tell myself that it must be inevitable that being back here again would stir up memories of them. It’s natural; this was their place, of course, as well as mine. It’s no surprise that they’re here in my thoughts so much. But it has been so long since I’ve thought of them, and these aren’t just memories – these are fragments of reality, snatched from the past and creeping up around me in the present. It’s something I’ve learnt to live without all my adult life, and now it’s here, it’s back, and I can’t even control it. I might have expected to think of Jamie and Anna once or twice while I was here – but not this, not this. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。Jamie and AnnaはAlexの幼なじみです。 It’s something I’ve learnt to live without all my adult life, and now it’s here, it’s back, and I can’t even control it.という英文が最後の方に出てくるのですが、itが何を指しているのかよくわかりません。 it’s hereそれはここにあり、it’s backそれは戻り、I can’t even control it.私はそれを支配することさえできない。。。Jamie and Annaとの思い出みたいな感じでしょうか? I might have expected to think of Jamie and Anna once or twice while I was here – but not this, not this.のbut not this, not thisというのは、どういうことを言っているのでしょうか?これではない、これでは。。?? 質問の英文が長くなってしまいましたが、教えてください。お願いします。

• set us up

My sister came out as a lesbian this summer and I came out as bisexual this Thanksgiving to our very moderate middle-class parents. There were tears and talking and more tears, but my parents are ultimately supportive—almost too much so. My father brings up his “gay kids” in everyday conversations to complete strangers. An old high school friend who works as a barista mentioned it to me when my dad comes in for coffee. He says how proud he is of us, but he brings it up all the time! My mom has joined PFLAG and has taken to taking pictures of pretty girls and sending them to my sister and me in an effort to set us up. ここでのset us upはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I am a man in my 60s. I'm writing out of concern for my friend. "Will" and I are the same age; in fact, we share a birthday. He and I became well-acquainted in childhood and were very attached to each other. But then, in my early teens, our relationship took on a new and unanticipated aspect. We found that we shared an interest in girls, and as we grew through our teens and into our early 20s, we had many adventures together. When I married, Will was there and always supportive. It wouldn't have been the same without him, and I'm sure my wife would agree. I never minded in the least the interest he showed in her. But now, Will seems to have lost much of his get-up-and-go. He no longer shows much interest in my wife or in any other woman. I've tried to get him to be more spontaneous, telling him stories and showing him pictures that he used to like, but I barely get a rise out of him. I've tried to get himはI've tried getting himではなくそのような形なのはなぜでしょうか?あと、ここでのget a rise out ofはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I live in an upscale building, but my neighbor regularly leaves empty boxes, garbage bags, a cat condo, etc. in the hallway for extended periods of time. I’ve complained to the building to no avail. This is a fire hazard and can potentially attract vermin, but it also stresses me out. I don’t want to say it traumatizes me to see junk in the hallway, but it’s a constant reminder of a bad time in my life when I lived in a less nice building, where this kind of thing happened all of the time. The building has spoken to them several times, and it’s a violation of the lease, but they don’t care. I love my place, and certainly am not moving over this. I was thinking I should write them an anonymous note telling them how inconsiderate they are, piling my garbage on theirs, or putting their boxes outside the garbage shoot on the other side of the hallway, so people can see how inconsiderate they are and hopefully also complain to the building. all of the timeはなぜall the timeではなくall of the timeなのでしょうか?あと、garbage shootはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 移民の話です。翻訳お願いします。

移民についての文章です。 日本語訳をお願いします。 Our door has to be open—but not wide open. We cannot let in all of the world's many millions who wish to come. And we are entitled to be selective. The key question is how effectively our policies have been designed to address our interests. Another short answer: Not at all. That is why we have to take this opportunity to change them. The bipartisan bill by a group of 10 U.S. senators is a good and bold attempt to sort out this issue after decades of confusion. The senators are right to call for a change of emphasis to put more stress on special skills and limit the numbers claiming entry on the fact of a relationship to someone here. Today, once an individual has become an American citizen, he or she can petition on behalf of relatives, not only spouses and children but also parents and siblings, who in turn can bring other relatives over, creating so-called chain immigration. This allows an immigrant to bring in a brother who brings in a sister, who brings in a brother-in-law, who brings in a daughter, ad infinitum.

• 和訳お願い致します。

From this statement of the case it will be apparent that our knowledge of mental activities in any organism other than our own is neither subjective nor objective. That it is not subjective I need not wait to show. That it is not objective* may be rendered obvious by a few moments' reflec tion. .For it is evident that mental activities in other organisms can never be to us objects of direct knowledge ; as I have just said, we can only infer their existence from the objective sources supplied by observable activities of such organisms.. Therefore all our knowledge of mental activities other than our own really consists of an inferential inter pretation of bodily activities — this interpretation being founded on our subjective knowledge of our own mental activities. By inference we project, as it were, the known patterns of our own mental chromograph [chromograph=chromolithograph] on what is to us the otherwise blank screen of another mind ; and our only knowledge of the processes there taking place is really due to such a projection of our own subjectively. This matter has been well and clearly presented by the late Professor Clifford, who has coined the exceedingly appropriate term eject (in contradistinction to subject and object), whereby to designate the distinctive character of a mind (or mental process) other than our own in its relation to our own. I shall therefore adopt this convenient term, and speak of all our possible knowledge of other minds as ejective.

• 翻訳をお願い致します。

So, media (social and news) has been blowing up over this Charlottesville thing. Yes, there are racists who still believe in white supremacy, but not very many. I think we're giving them way more attention than they deserve, and at a cost of our own collective peace of mind. Listen, I can't stand this neo Nazi bullshit, either, but I'm not going to let them ruin my day. Maybe I'll just listen to some Dead Kennedys, and remember this shit has been around my whole life. This one's for the ignorant racists everywhere, not just in Charlottesville.

• 翻訳をお願い致します!

Dean: “I don't know if the fans want to hear this kind of stuff, they probably want to hear more about music, but our band means a lot to us. It never wavered or diminished in any way. Robert and Eric and I are really filled with gratitude. There's a lot that comes along with being in a successful band and it's all luxurious. Really. It really is. With that said, it means so much to us and it's such a big part of our life… I'm gonna say it doesn't define us, but it's a big part of our life. It comes into our homes! It really lives and resides in our homes — in our bedrooms, around our children and when a toxic orbit or environment steps into my house… would you wanna do that?” Dean: “It's like what Robert said, man. It's more about quality of life. You know, I'm gonna say something that's not slighting Chester in any way, but I would've loved for [the Scott Weiland] lineup to have gone on forever [or] until we were taken out by our elbows and heels, but it just… we did not dictate where we're at now. By any means.”

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 新NISAの始まりをきっかけに、常陽銀行で作っていたNISA口座を他の金融機関(楽天)に変更したい場合、勘定廃止通知書または非課税口座廃止通知書を取り寄せる必要があります。
  • 変更後、現在NISA口座で運用中の投信は他の金融機関のNISA口座に移動します。
  • NISA口座の変更手続きについては、変更先の金融機関のウェブサイトやお客様センターにお問い合わせください。
回答を見る