Opportunity and Chance: Understanding the Difference

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Opportunity and chance are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference.
  • While all opportunities are chances, not all chances are opportunities.
  • Opportunities are favorable circumstances, while chances also involve risk and unpredictability.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英語の内容読解

You can use either chance or opportunity for a bad thing. この文章は、正解でしょうか?不正解でしょうか? ちなみに、本文は、 I'd like to talk about opportunity and chance. Let me begin by saying this-all opportunities are chances but not all chances are opportunities. What does that mean? Keep reading. Since they're similar words, they share the same meaning: "a favorable set of circumstances, a suitable time." In a sentence like "She has many chances(opportunities) in her work to travel abroad," either one is fine. I think that opportunity is a more formal word than chance. If you're writing a business letter, opportunity would be a better choice. When you're talking with friends, either one is okey.Here's another example: Every time you come to class, you have the opportunity of(chance of) learning something new. Many Japanese people tend to think of chance as being only a good thing, maybe because of the way it is used in Japanese. In fact, it's just the opposite. With chance, there's also the idea of something "unknown, unpredictable, a risk." Take a look at these sentences: You shouldn't play golf during a thunderstorm; there's a chance of getting hit by lightning. You should never drink and drive; you don't want to take the chance of hurting yourself or someone else. They're really different from the way chance is used in Japanese, aren't thay? This is why I said that all opportunities are chances but not all chances are opportunities. Opportunitise are always good things; chances may or may not be. Often you'll see chance used as a plural, chances.Use the plural when you want to talk about the possibility of something happening.The chances of winning the lottery are very slim; in fact, your chances of being hit by lightning are much higher. We have an old saying in English, "When opportunity knocks, answer the door." If you're given an opportunity, grab it. You may not get the chance again. です。 自分は正解だと思うんですが。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

不正解です。 You can use either chance or opportunity for a bad thing. 「chanceとopportunityのどちらも悪いことに対して使うことができる。」 ところが、本文では、  Opportunities are always good things; chances may or may not be.  「opportunitiesは常に良い事。chancesは良い事かもしれないし悪い事かもしれない。」 と書かれています。つまり、opportunityという単語は、悪い意味には使えないと言っているのです。

koulike
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 英語について

All opportunities are chances but not all chances are opportunities. 訳をお願いします。 それと、but notはなんでこんな並びになるんでしょうか。 but notは見たことがありません。 文法的な面から説明をお願いします。

• 英語の訳と文法

When you're talking with friends, either one is okey. 訳をお願いします。 また、either oneは、どちらの方も、と訳すのでしょうか? それとも、どちらか一方は、と訳すのでしょうか? ちなみに、前の文章は、 I think that opportunity is a more formal word than chance.If you're writting a business letter, opportunity would be a better choice. です。 opportunityとchanceはイタリック体です。

• 和訳をお願いします

Chance meetings are all around us. New and interesting people and great opportunities are dished up to us daily if we’re willing to sport them and seize them. Don’t be someone who sits on the sidelines and says, “I never seem to meet anyone interesting.” If that’s you, then it’s time to try a little harder. The opportunities are there; you’re just not tuning in to them. Whatever it is you want to succeed in, achieve or communicate to the world, chance meetings can be a valuable tool to help get you there. という文章があるのですが 最後の Whatever it is you want to succeed in, achieve or communicate to the world, chance meetings can be a valuable tool to help get you there. の文構造が取れず、訳せません 英語ができる方、よろしくお願いします

• 英語の読解問題です。

(1)When you sit in the reading room of a library to do your own homework, you are surrounded by centuries of research. When you log on to the Internet, you can find millions of research reports. All those reports are the product of researchers who have asked endless questions, gathered huge amounts of information, worked out answers and solutions, and then shared them with the rest of us. (2)Teachers at all levels devote their lives to research. Governments spend billions on it, and businesses even more. Research goes on in laboratories and libraries, in jungles and ocean depths, in caves and in outer space. It stands behind every new technology, product, or scientific discoveryand most of the old ones. Research is in fact the worlds biggest industry. Those who cannot reliably do research or evaluate the research of others will find themselves left behind in a world that increasingly depends on new ideas based on good information produced by trusted researchers. (3)In fact, research reported by others, in writing, is the source of most of what we all believe. None of us has been to Venus, for example, but we believe that it is hot, dry and mountainous. Why? Because thats what we've read in reports we trust. Whenever we look something up, our research depends on the research of others. But we can trust their research only if we can trust that they did it carefully and reported it accurately. (4)To put it simply, everyone does research: we all gather information to answer a question that solves a problem. You do it every day. PROBLEM: You need a new part for your bicycle. RESEARCH: You call bicycle stores or get on the Internet to see who has one in stock. PROBLEM: You want to know where Michael Jordan, the famous American basketball player was born. RESEARCH: You go to the library and look in a biographical dictionary, or you search the Internet and then sort through the thousands and thousands of references to him. PROBLEM: You want to learn more about the discovery of a new species of tropical fish. RESEARCH: You search the Internet for articles in newspapers and magazines. (5)Though we all do those kinds of research we dont all write it up. But we do rely on those who did: the bicycle part suppliers, Jordans biographers, and the fish discoverers. All of them wrote up the results of their research because they thought that one day someone would have a question that their data would answer. (6)In fact, without trusted and tested published research available to all of us, we would be locked in the opinions of the moment and (lie, fooled,hear,we,every,by). Of course, we all want to believe that our opinions are correct; yet mistaken ideas, even dangerous ones, develop because too many people accept too many opinions on not very good evidence. And those who act on unquestioned opinions can lead themselves, and others, to disaster. 【設問】 ・2段落2文目内even moreに続く語句1語を本文中から ・2段落4文目内最初のItが指す語句1語を本文中から ・2段落4文目内最後のonesが指すもの アtechnology, product, and scientific discovery イall the libraries that have been built ウresearchers in the laboratories and libraries エenormous amounts of money that governments spend ・最終段落6段落中の語句整序 本文の原文を見つけましたので、貼っておきます。 http://www.worldcat.org/wcpa/servlet/DCARead?standardNo=0226065677&standardNoType=1&excerpt=true

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

Paradoxically, it is the first factor - marring someone you do not love yet (but are attracted to ) that leads to the second one. In arranged marriages, the wedding is seen not as the concluding point, but only the beginning of a relationship that is marked more by hope than by expectation. Where couples in a "romantic" marriage might find the reality of everyday life a comedown after the excitement of the courtship period, the courtship dance in arranged marriages begins only after the wedding ceremony. As many South Asians with experience in this matter will enthusiastically tell you, this leads to the couple falling in love.    Are all arranged marriages successful? No more than all romantic marriages are. But, ultimately, what makes a marriage work is not how it began but what makes a marriage work is not how it began but what you do with it. Mutual respect, realistic expectations and a willingness to compromise may, in the long run, be more important than all the undying promises made in moments of passion. Marriage is a long race; it is learning the other's gait as you go. What matters is whether you are able to find a common rhythm.

• 前置詞について教えて下さい?

NHKラジオ英会話講座より Hank:Do you have any idea how remote the chances are of winning the lottery? Jeff:It's a long shot. But at least you'll have a chance, however remote, of getting rich. It's something to dream about. ハンク:宝くじが当たる可能性がどれだけ低いかわかっているのか? ジェフ:確率はきわめて低いけどね。でも、どれだけ可能性が低くても、すくなくともお金持ちになるチャンスはある。ちょとした夢なんだから。 (質問)同じような質問を繰り返す愚行をお許しください。前置詞についてお尋ねします。 (1)..how remote the chances are of winning the lottery?/,of getting rich の2つのofは、どちらもofの前に、a chanceが省略されていると考えてよろしいですか? (2) It's something to dream about.と It's something to dream.の違いについて教えて下さい。about の後ろには何か省略されていますか? ofとaboutのいずれも、私にとって難解な位置に収まっています。出来るだけ易しい説明をお願いいたします。以上

• 以下の英語の問題について、教えて下さい。

以下の各問について(1)~(4)の4つの文のうち語法・文法上間違っているものを選んでください。 全て合っている場合は「間違いなし」とお答えください。また、その理由もあわせておねがいします。 【1】 (1) I prefer red wine to white one. (2) To where is the capital of Italy? (3) How long will the train start? (4) All that glitter are not gold. 【2】 (1) It was N.Y. that I was born. (2) I think difficult to get rid of the bed habits. (3) Let Tom and me help you with your work. (4) He smiled in spite of oneself. 【3】 (1) He is something like his father. (2) Any doctor say something to please his patients. (3) Each boys have their own room. (4) They were talking each other. 【4】 (1) He is a best student of his all classmate. (2) Either he or I are responsible for it. (3) What did you say such a thing for? (4) What do you like this dress? 【5】 (1) Paris is the city which I want to live. (2) He is just that I expected him. (3) I heard which sounded like footsteps. (4) I could not believe what he said. 分量が多くなってしまいましたがよろしくおねがいします。

• 英語 長文 読解

Tips for Overseas Travelers        Imagine as if you were a US citizen 1.Obtain a new passport or have your eurrent one renewed well in advance of your departure date. The process takes a few weeks, and there is always the possibility of unforeseen delays, some fees are higher for adults than children. 2.Consult your travel agent or the Us. Department of State about the countries you plan to visit. Many countries require special visas if you plan to stay over 90 days. For some destinations, certain immunizations are needed requiring a month or more of preparation. 3.Be aware that some countries do not use the same voltage for electrical outlets that we use in the U.S. You may want to purchase a voltage converter to use abroad. 4.Try to minimize the exhaustion and fatigue caused by long overseas fiights. Airplane cabins have extremely dry air, and many people become dehydrated without realizing it. Avoid alcohol, and instead drink water every couple of hours. Get up to stretch at least once each hour if you are not sleeping. This helps keep you from getting sti lt also helps blood circulation and can reducc swelling in the feet, a common problem for people on long flights. 答えがないため以下の解答を教えていただけると助かります。 ●What are different for adult and child passports ●What type of purchase is suggested ●Why should we drink water every couple of hours on long flights お手数おかけしますがよろしくお願いします。

• この英語はあっていますか・・・?

自分で書いた文章なのですが、合っているかわからないので 間違っていたらご指摘お願いいたします><! However, English is not the one in one country alone. In fact, this English is used all over the world. But, the opportunity to meet British English is of rare occurrence to me when I'm in Japan. In addition, I suffer inconvenience from I can’t understand British English. --------------------------------------------------------------- It is to understand British’s culture. But, the opportunity to meet British English is of rare occurrence to me when I'm in Japan. Even if I am the international class, the chance to meet British culture is of rare to me. It can be recognized that there is a different culture. But, if this goes on I may end to live without learning other culture in the culture of Japan.

• 英語を訳していただけませんか

いくつかの質問の文章があり、自分では訳せなかったり訳に自信がないものがありましたので訳していただけると助かります。 ※○○は共通の趣味ことです だいたい裁縫とか衣装デザインとかのことを聞いてきていると思います 質問の数が多いので、一部を訳していただいてもかまいません。 ----------- ・Are there any helpful hints in sewing, costume design or any other aspects of your cosplay that you discovered in doing your creations? ・Do you have a preferred brand of make up in your ○○? And if so why? ・Is there a scene from a anime. cartoon, movie or tv show that left a big impression on you and what was it? ・Candy bar?(自動翻訳でもキャンディーバーとしか出ないのですがこの質問の意味がわかりません) ・Favorite Breakfast cerial? (シリアルとはあのサクサクの食べ物のことを言っているのでしょうか?) ・Is there something not going on in the ○○ world that you would want to see or is there something you would want to change? ・What was your favorite toy growing up?(直訳はできますが何を言ってるのかわかりません) ・Who is your biggest character crush and why? ----------------- 以上です。訳の方よろしくおねがいいたします。