End of the Cold War: Major Influence on Taiwan-U.S.-China Relations

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Explore the major influence brought on by the end of the Cold War with regard to Taiwan-U.S.-China relations.
  • Reveal more about Taiwan-U.S.-China relations since the September 11 terrorist attack in 2001.
  • Adopt three approaches to analyze the impact of the Cold War's end on the trilateral relations.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

bring on とbring aboutの違いを教えてください。

ネイティブの方は、下記の文章中、「brought on」の「on」を「about」と訂正しました。なぜ、ここでは「about」 が正しいのでしょうか。辞書によると「brought on」と「brought about」の両方とも「引き起こす」と同じ意味なので、どちらでもいいような感じがしました。宜しくお願いいたします。 The aim of this paper is to explore the major influence brought on by the end of the Cold War with regard to Taiwan-U.S.-China relations and reveal more about their relations since the September 11 terrorist attack in 2001. This article adopts three approaches as mentioned below.

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数9

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • KappNets
  • ベストアンサー率27% (1557/5688)
回答No.1

bring about (=cause, make something happen) は普通に客観的に「結果する」という意味で用います。 bring on は英英辞書を見ると先ず (cause, make something bad or unpleasant happen) とあり、Stress can bring on an asthma attack. という例文が載っていました。ここまでですと差が分かりにくいのですが、他のニュアンスの説明も見ると、その中に (make plants or crops grow faster) というのがあります。作物を育てるという意味です。この意味なら私も知っていました。 つまり on にはもともと「育てる、成長させる」というニュアンスがあるのですね。ぜんそくの文例に戻るとストレスが継続的に加わって喘息発作に至る経過を on で表しています。作物を育てるがごとく育てる (醸成する)、その成長のニュアンスが on なのですね。 何か怒らせるようなことを自分が言って、それがあいての顔つきに現れる、これも「(怒りという感情の)醸成」のプロセスが入るので What's brought this on? Have I upset you somehow? などと言います。 そういう醸成のニュアンスのない、単なる原因・結果なら bring about を使って下さい。

onsen04
質問者

お礼

早速ご回答くださりありがとうございます。onの解釈から全体の意味を導く方法はとても参考になりました。

関連するQ&A

• 英語 長文の和訳を教えてください。

Perhaps more importantly, the seeds of japanese culture were spread in the united states by the almost two million americans who came to japan during the occupation. While they represented only about one percent of the population, they had a tremendous influence on the american image of japan. As each of them returned to the U.S., they brought tales of life in this strange, exotic country which spread to their friends, relatives and neighbors.

• 以下の動画の英語を書き起こして頂きたく思います

以下の動画の英語を書き起こしていただきたく思います。 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67CoF5p9Mfs 41:25~ 自分なりには「Since you stressed the rule of law, the only one of the court decisions I know was made in 1944 by the Tokyo district court saying in a lawsuit between the fishery cooperative so far Taiwan and the fishing cooperative so far Okinawa about their possession of Senkaku Islands. The Tokyo district court said “ They belong to Taiwan. Now,this decision’s never been overturned. Does this mean after the return of Taiwan,the sovereignty to Taiwan, actually those island belong not to China, not to Tokyo,but to Taiwan?」と言っているように聞こえるのですが(細かいところは不詳、又は書き換えておりますが)。 よろしくお願い致します。

• This is, in fact, the aim

This is, in fact, the aim of education : not just to give information about this or that, but to relate bits and piece of knowledge to each other in a unified vision or understanding of life. 日本語訳をお願いします! できるだけ意訳ではなく直訳でお願いします。

• on wantの意味

Some of the states we zoomed in on want to integrate into and benefit from structures of global capitalism (Kuwait), others seek to develop their economic power and influence on a global scale (China). 上記英文中のon wantの意味・使い方についてご教示ください。 原典はhttps://doi.org/10.1080/09692290.2019.1665084 です。以上,宜しくお願い致します。

• about which

I cannot stress too greatly the radical distinction between a view for which the postmodern is one (optional) style among many others available, and one which seeks to grasp it as the cultural dominant of the logic of late capitalism: the two approaches in fact generate two very different ways of conceptualizing the phenomenon as a whole, on the one hand moral judgments (about which it is indifferent whether they are positive or negative), and on the other a genuinely dialectical attempt to think our present time in History. ポストモダンとは数多い他の選択肢の中の一つの(付加的な)形式であるという視点。そして後期資本主義の論理の文化的優性としてそれを理解することを求める視点。両者の間にある根本的な区別を、私はいくら強調しても足りない。二つのアプローチは事実、現象を全体として概念化する二つのまるで違った方法を生み出してしまう。片方は(それが肯定的か否定的かには無関心である)道徳的判断であり、他方は歴史全体の中でこの現代の位置づけを捉えようとする真に弁証法的な試みである。 About whichがわかりません。Whichは何を受けているのでしょう。

• onとto / continuingとcontinued

英語やり直し組です U.S. National Security Council Spokesman Gordon Johndroe says President Bush joins the Pakistani people in their continued concern about the state of emergency and the curtailment of basic freedoms. (1)their continued concernと書かれていますがcontinuingではないのでしょうか? 「彼らの続いている関心事」のような意味だと思うのですが何故continuedなのでしょうか?またcontinuingだとおかしいのでしょうか? Johndroe told reporters in Texas that the White House is calling on all sides to refrain from violence and to work together to put Pakistan back on the path to democracy. (2)calling on all sidesのonはtoではないのでしょうか? 「四方八方に呼びかけている」という意味だと思うのですがtoではないのでしょうか?onでもわかりますが、どちらでもいいのでしょうか? (3)to put Pakistan back on the path to democracy.のon~toはto~ofだと駄目なのでしょうか? to return(restore?) Pakistan to the path of democracy.のようだとニュアンスが変わってくるのでしょうか? お願いします。

• この場合の前置詞の違いについて。

I am going to give you a speech ABOUT my hometown. と、 I am going to give you a speech OF my hometown. と、 I am going to give you a speech ON my hometown. の、違いは何でしょうか?? 以前他の事で質問させていただいた時にABOUTにするよりONの方がいいとご指摘をいただきました。 Aboutは間違いなのでしょうか?? OFもだめなのでしょうか?? どなたか、お時間がよろしければお願いいたします^^

• 添削お願いします

問題 「あなたが億万長者で、何か新しい賞のための基金を設けようとしたと考える。どのような人やどのような功績に対して賞を与えたいかを、その理由とともに70語程度の英語で述べなさい。」 回答 「I`d like to give a prize to the educators who had the greatest influence on the career choice of the winnners of an existing major prize, such as the Nobel prize.This is because without these mentors, the prizewinners might not have exercised their abilities to the full and accomplished what they did.The spotlight should be put not only on the prizewinners but also on those who brought out their potential.」

• about schmidtについての英文の和訳

about schmidtについての英文の和訳をお願いします。 Since the Western rode off into the sunset in the early 1960s, no other movie genre has better defined the contradictions of Am erican life than the road movie. In such films, cow-boys on horseback were replaced by young rebels at the wheel of hot cars or riding on hopped-up motorcycles. These unconventional new heroes invariably set out across the country on journeys of self-discovery. In 1969,"Easy Rider," starring Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper as chopper-riding hippies, brought the road movie to the forefront, and also introduced an unknown actor with a devilish grin by the name of Jack Nicholson. Nicholson stole the show in the role of an offbeat lawyer who joins the hippies on their journey through the South. Some 35 years later, director Alexander Payne has brought us "About Schmidt," starring a paunchy, balding Jack Nicholson as a 66-year-old recent retiree and widower named Warren Schmidt. When Schmidt hits the road on his own odyssey across America, not on a glamorous Harley, but in an enormous 35-foot Winnebago, the road movie takes on a whole new meaning.

• 高校の課題の和訳です。かなり困ってます・・・

Perhaps the most interesting thing about these contrasting approaches to speech-making is the light they shed on how extremely hard it is for anyone to break out of his own particular polite fiction. polite fiction という言葉は説明が長くなるので、英語のままでいいです。 よろしくお願いします!!