• ベストアンサー

英語音痴な質問

He put his head down and crawled like a snow plough over to the desk, pulled himself up and about thirty seconds later said, "I've found it." の意味は、He moved strongly and as fast as he could.だそうですが、ploughには「のろのろ進む」のような意味があり、どうしてこうなのかわかりません。文脈というものなのでしょうか。あえていえば、30秒後というところでしょうか。 Kim will have heard a recording of a symphony once as a little boy. He will then hear it again now at age 53 and if there's a mistake, he will note it.は結局のところ、「キムは人生で2回音楽を聴いた(1回目は子供のとき2回目は53歳の今、でミスがあれば、昔聴いた記憶から気がつく)」ということでしょうか。最初のwill haveの解釈がいまいち分かりません。 You didn't phone me last night. I know. I'm very sorry but I did'n get in until midnight. このget inは日本語にすると何なのでしょうか。「時間の都合がつかなかった」みたいなものでしょうか。 If he hasn't come back by seven, leave without him. これはhasn'tではなく、doesn'tではだめなのでしょうか。 It's been raining here for a week. Oh, has it. has itの最後はフルストップですか、それとも「?」ですか。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • go_urn
  • ベストアンサー率57% (938/1643)
回答No.2

こんにちは! (1)He put his head down and crawled like a snow plough over to the desk, pulled himself up and about thirty seconds later said, "I've found it." ●snow plough は、スキーのプルークボーゲンという滑り方を指していると思います。右手と左手を交互に使いながら進みますので、似ているのでしょう。  over to は、~のところまで、という意味です。  pulled himself up は、そこで止まるということです。何か腹這いのまま探しているのです。30秒後に見つけたのです。 (2)Kim will have heard a recording of a symphony once as a little boy. He will then hear it again now at age 53 and if there's a mistake, he will note it. ●キムは音の感覚が鋭く、子供の頃に1度聞いただけの音楽を53歳の今聞いても、間違いがあれば気づくでしょう、という意味です。「でしょう」という推量の気持ちで書かれていますので、それが1文目にも出てきているのです。確かに少しなじめない形だと思います。Suppose he heard a recording of a symphony once as a little boy and hear it again now at age 53... ということです。 (3)You didn't phone me last night. I know. I'm very sorry but I did'n get in until midnight. ●get in がイデイオムで、帰宅するということです。 (4)If he hasn't come back by seven, leave without him. これはhasn'tではなく、doesn'tではだめなのでしょうか。 ●If he doesn't come back でも大丈夫です。それがふつうかもしれません。 (5)It's been raining here for a week. Oh, has it. has itの最後はフルストップですか、それとも「?」ですか。 ●疑問文なので、?でなくてはなりません。読むときの調子で、ニュアンスを変えられます。  以上、英語音痴どころか、ツボにはまったご質問ばかりだと思います。少しでもご参考になれば幸いです!

その他の回答 (2)

noname#77550
noname#77550
回答No.3

すみません、補足を いろいろな考え方があるでしょうが、ご質問の最後の Oh, has it. は、私は疑問文だとは思いませんでした。 ご質問者はテープか何かを聞かれたのでは無く、書かれたものを読んだ上での疑問ですよね? でしたら、ピリオドが付けられていたのか?マークが付けられていたのかお分かりと思います。 もし、ピリオドが付いていたのでしたらそれは疑問文ではありません。 これが、疑問文ならちゃんと?マークが付いているはずだと思います。 前にあるセンテンスの意味から言って(一週間の長雨でクサクサしている状況)、ですので Oh が最初に来て、その後は It has been の倒置になっていると、私は思いました。 倒置は強調の意味がありますから、雨が続いている事を暗に言って嘆いているのだと思います。 「ここでは一週間も雨が降っている」「ああ、降っている」と続けているのではないでしょうか? #1の訳は少し飛躍し過ぎましたが、そういう気持ちが込められた文だと思います。 ですから、ピリオドでもかまいませんし強調の!でもかまわないと思いました。 素人的発想です。

noname#77550
noname#77550
回答No.1

こんにちは 文の前後関係が分かりませんので確実なことは言えませんが、この文だけで解釈する限りでは、 plough は、「のろのろ進む」でなく、a snow- plow すなわち除雪車のことだと思います。 plough は plow の英国の使い方です。 むしろ、それよりも、crawl が「のろのろ進む」という意味です。 赤ちゃんのハイハイして進むことを crawlと言います。で、意味としては (彼は頭を下げて、まるで除雪車のように机を越えてゆっくり進み、起き上がりそして、「見つけた」と30秒後に言った。) ということですので、彼は何らかの条件で素早く行動出来なかったと推察されます。しかし、出来るだけ速く、そして力強く進んだと解するべきと思います。 未来完了形ですから推測でしょう。 未来完了は <will+have+過去分詞>です。 この get in は「帰宅する」です。 if 、仮定に過去形を使う場合は、現在の実現困難な願望を表わすときに使います。 ですから、その事実を語り手が望んでいない時には if の後は過去形です。 この場合は「ああ、勝手にしてくれ」という事でしょうから、「!」が一番適当ではないかと思います。

関連するQ&A

• 英語の質問です

教えてください!! ( ) tomorrow our baseball game will be canceled 1Whether it rains 2In case it rains 3if it will rain 4 Unless it rains He has no sooner come home ,( ) he turns on Tv 1if 2before 3than 4so Hardly had he seen me ( ) he ran away 1and 2as 3than 4when ( ) that I am older I've changed my mind and want to enjoy my life in the country 1After 2Now 3Since 4During Physical exercise is to the body ( ) reading is to the mind 1that 2what 3which 4whose I studied very hard ( ) I would have failed the entrance examination 1beside 2and so 3but for 4otherwise You can't watch television ( ) you haven't finished you work 1until 2as long as 3although 4after I sat there a long time ( ) 1until I hear my name called 2after I had heard my name call 3before I heard my name called 4since I have heard my name calling The party will be held outdoors ( ) it rains 1only 2if 3without 4unless

• 英語の質問です

( )に入る適語を教えてください (  ) I known the fact、I (  )(  ) told it to you ( ) it ( ) for air and water, we ( ) not exist on the earth If I ( ) in your position, I ( ) not do such a thing I wish I ( ) a brother and a sister He acts ( ) ( ) he ( ) a millionaire If it ( ) ( ) nice, we ( ) ( ) played soccer in the park He is, ( ) ( ) ( ), a superman He looks ( ) ( ) he ( ) ill If all the tropical forests ( ) ( ) disappear, what would become of our planet? If he ( ) got up early, he wouldn't ( ) missed the train Provided that you ( ) a lot of money, what ( ) you do with it? If my father ( ) in good health, he ( ) carry out his plan ( ) ( ) water, the plants would die I wish I ( ) speak English as well as you ( ) he known about my trouble, he ( ) ( ) helped me

• 英語の質問です。これはどういう意味ですか?

on the other hand it would be stupid if i wouldnt attend a distance university to get the degree with so little effort to get a good job and as i said on sunday if i have a nice job at a language school i probably wouldnt go to a normal university thats all

• (手紙の)英語の意味を教えてください。

友人の手紙の一部がわかりませんので、教えていただけたら助かります。 友人(女性)の夫は、昨年6月頃からリストラ後、就職をしようとしません(2,3は職に就けたものの、2,3日で行かなくなったり、後はごろごろ。友人(彼女は仕事をしている)が夫の職探しをして履歴書を何回も書いて(それに対して夫は罵声や悪口三昧で、昼はベットから動かない、、、らしいとのこと)。という状況で下記のメールです。 I went to see my finance advisor and I have sent off forms and see what happens. If I can get it, it will take his name off the mortgage and the house will be under my name only. Then I will change my will so (ここに息子の名前) as it in his name if I die. I will do anything to make sure his family do not get their hands on it. I had to do this if possible because the interest charges on his debt will make it a right mess. It would of been great if he had got a job as soon as he walked out of his job but being out since last June it is out of control. I still cannot believe he did it. I do not know what to do if this does not work. You know he has not even thanked me for even trying. When the forms came to fill in, it was like a book. You know what I mean. I looked in despair and started to plough through it while he shouted don't f......g (swearing) do it if you don't want too. I don't give a shit, I am past caring he said. I thought you ungrateful sod. So if we lose the house he would then shit himself. He does not deserve me. See what happens. 前半部分は多少はわかりますので特に知りたいのはI do not know what to do if this does not work.からです。その部分に関しては多少語句や文法の説明も含めて教えていただけたら助かります。記入すべきthe formsがきたら、とか、  he shouted don't f......g の部分とか、I am past caring....とか何箇所もわかりません。なにとぞよろしくお願いします。

• 英語仮定法における大過去について

“The ball was thrown to Jim and he bobbled it. If it were me [to whom it had been thrown], I would have caught it easily.” In most cases, it should be “If it were I.” という英語による文法の説明がありました。しかしこれは時制上、”If it had been me, I would have caught it easily.”となるべきではないのでしょうか? 同じように、”He didn’t collide with me. He could have caused me and himself serious harm if he crashed into me.”と言うネイティブがいるのですが、これも” He didn’t collide with me. He could have caused me and himself serious harm if he had crashed into me.” と言うべきところではありませんか? 大過去の形をとるべきであろうと理解される部分の時制を、過去形で表現しているネイティブの言語専門家による仮定法の文例を散見し、混乱しています。 どのようなことが理由か教えて頂ければ幸いです。よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語の間違い

1.Because Mr. Andrew has a job (1. that ) pays very well and has (2. lots ) of vacation time , he (3. has had ) many chances to travel abroad . As a result , he has (4. ever ) been to many countries. 2.In order (1. to get ) into a top-level university , it is important (2. to try ) hard at school and also (3. spending ) lots of time (4. studying ) at home . 3.Tom (1. has been ) living in Japan (2. since ) 2005 , and (3. since ) he enjoys it so much he says he will keep on living there (4. until ) five more years . 1、2、3の1~4のかっこは それぞれどれが違いますか? 分かる方教えてください(>_<)

• またしても英語が分かりません。

次の各文の( )のうち、誤っているものを1つ選んで正して下さい。 (一) (1)(These days,)scientists are sometimes(2)(predict)the severity of(3)(earthquakes) and other forms of natural(4)(disaster.) 誤り(    ) 正す(     ) (二) I(1)(haven't seen) Tom(2)(for a long time.) When(3)(have you seen) him(4)(last?) 誤り(    ) 正す(     ) (三)(1)(Have you)(2)(already been)(3)(to Canada)(4)(in for life?) 誤り(    ) 正す(     ) (四)(1)(He has been)(2)(doing research)(3)(in Oxford,)(4)(and by the end of this year)(5)(he will stay there)(6)(for as many as ten years.) 誤り(    ) 正す(     ) (一)、(二)、(三)、(四)、は一つの問題文です。 分かりにくかったら、すみません><

• 教えてください。

次の空欄に入れるべき動詞の形を,選択肢から選びなさい。 If the weather were too hot or cold, plants ( ) grow.      (1)had to (2)won’t (3)would (4)would not I wished I ( ) a millionaire.      (1)am (2)have been (3)had been (4)were He ( ) if I didn’t stop him.      (1)smokes (2)will smoke (3)would have smoked (4)would smoke The castle looked as if it ( ) built in the Middle Ages.      (1)has (2)has been (3)had been (4)was If it ( ) fine, we’ll go to the park.      (1)is (2)was (3)were (4)will be Don’t tell me to be quiet. You ( ) quiet.      (1)are (2)be (3)had been (4)were He worked very hard, otherwise he ( ).      (1)would fail (2)would not fail (3)would not have failed (4)would have failed I don’t think it will happen; but if it ( ), what shall we do?      (1)had (2)should (3)were (4)will We insist that the committee ( ) its decisions.      (1)reconsider (2)will reconsiders (3)will reconsidered (4)will have reconsider Just suppose everyone ( ) to act like you.      (1)should (2)were (3)will (4)would

• 英語ができる方、問題をお願いします。

英文中の空所に入る適切な語、または語句を選択肢から選びなさい。またその英文を訳しなさい。 1. It's started raining. If it ( ) raining, we could go on a picnic. (1)is (2)isn't (3)was (4)weren't 2. If the weather were too hot or too cold, plants ( ) grow. (1)could (2)would not (3)had to (4)won't 3. We would have gone to see the movie last night of we ( ) it was so funny. (1)know (2)would know (3)had known (4)could know 4. If I had known about the good news earlier, I ( ) to congratulate you. (1)would call (2)must have called (3)would have called (4)should call 5. If my son had taken my advice, he ( ) successful now. (1)is (2)was (3)would be (4)would have been 6. I wish I ( ) back the clock and do it all over again. (1)can turn (2)could tuen (3)had turned (4)have turned 7. I wish ( ) much more when I was young. (1)study (2)studied (3)have studied (4)had studied 8. If ( ) he had told her the truth. (1)timely (2)only (3)plainry (4)suddenly 9. It's time Bill ( ) home. (1)go (2)will go (3)goes (4)went 10. ( ) his idleness, he would be a nice fellow. (1)If he would be (2)If he were not (3)If it were not for (4)If it was 11. ( ) for the examination, I could have gone shopping with my friends. (1)Without (2)If (3)But (4)With 12. ( ) for your support, we wouldn't be here. (1)Not were it (2)It were not (3)Were not it (4)Were it not 13. ( ) I known more about the man, I would have gone shopping with my friends. (1)If (2)As (3)Were (4)Had 14. ( ) anything happen to you, you can always call me on my mobile phone. (1)If (2)Should (3)Unless (4)Would 15. ( ) your help, we would have failed. (1)Were it not been for (2)Had it not been for (3)If it had been for (4)Without being 同じ意味になるように空所に適切な語を入れなさい。また、(a)の文を訳しなさい。 1. (a) Because of the storm, I couldn't arrive earlier. (b) If ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) for the storm, I couldn't arrive earlier. 2. (a) If he had helped us, we could have succeeded. (b) ( ) his help, we could have succeeded. 3. (a) If you heard him talk, you would think that he was a new student. (b) ( ) ( ) him talk, you would think that he was a new student. 4. (a) If he the university students had not started at once, they would have missed the train bound for Tokyo. (b) The university students started at once; ( ) they would have missed the train bound for Tokyo. 以上です。 お手数をおかけしますが、どうかよろしくお願いいたします。 ミスなどがありましたらお知らせください。

• [英語] ()に当てはまるものを教えて下さい><

1. "I made this artwork at school today. () do you think of it ?" "I think it's very beautiful." (1) How (2) Since (3) Who (4) What 2. () is Scotland that they are going to, not Ireland. (1) That (2) This (3) It (4) Which 3. It is not () because English is superior to other languages that it has spread more widely than others. (1) unless (2) necessarily (3) until (4) naturally 4. Never () such a ridiculous story. (1) have I heard (2) heard I (3) I have heard (4) I heard 5. She's been dead for 20 years now, ()? (1) hasn't she (2) does she (3) isn't she (4) is she 6. It's cleared up. Let's go, () we? (1) aren't (2) don't (3) shall (4) will 7. () she had no interest in him was obvious to us all. (1) That (2) What (3) Which (4) Whatever 8. A store will not exchange the shirts you bought () you bring a receipt. (1) despite (2) because of (3) unless (4) regardless of 9. As () as I know, he's still living in Los Angeles. (1) well (2) many (3) long (4) far 10. Any book will do as () as it is instructive. (1) long (2) far (3) possible (4) many 11. () is often the case with scientists, he has no interest in clothes. (1) What (2) As (3) Which (4) It 12. () is worth doing at all is worth doing well. (1) Whichever (2) Whatever (3) Whoever (4) Whomever 13. Paul is so depressed now. He lost () little money he had earned from three weeks of working part-time. (1) but (2) what (3) how (4) every 14. Soseki Natsume is a novelist () I have the greatest respect. (1) whom (2) with whom (3) for whom (4) of whom 15. He is very active () his age. (1) against (2) spite (3) for (4) through 16. The proposal was dropped because eight people out of ten voted () it. (1) against (2) for (3) over (4) to