• ベストアンサー

次の英文の解釈方法【大学入試レベル】

Speech, in fact, is one of those [few], basic abilities -tool making [is another]- that set us apart from animals and are closely connected with oour ability to think abstractly. <,>、スペース ともに上の文章で間違いありません。 [ ]でくくったところは、仮に[ ]の部分がなかったら読める、言い換えれば[ ]の部分があるから解釈に困っている所になります。 質問内容としては 1.[few]がどこにかかっていて、それをどのように訳すか 2.この文章から[speech=tool making] が分かるらしいのですが、[is another]があるために訳しづらいのでその訳し方 3.- -で囲まれたところをbasic abiliteとどうつなげるか です。 よろしくお願いします。 ちなみにこの文におけるspeechは(話し言葉)と訳します。 ※もしも[ ]が邪魔で読みづらいというのであれば[ ]をとった文章を下に掲載しておきます。 Speech, in fact, is one of those few, basic abilities -tool making is another- that set us apart from animals and are closely connected with oour ability to think abstractly.

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Parismadam
  • ベストアンサー率65% (2756/4211)
回答No.1

はじめまして。 ご質問1: <1.[few]がどこにかかっていて、それをどのように訳すか> 1.かかっているのは後続する名詞、basic abilitiesです。 2.このfewは「数少ない」というやや否定的なニュアンスで使われています。 ご質問2: <2.この文章から[speech=tool making] が分かるらしいのですが、[is another]があるために訳しづらいのでその訳し方> 1.anotherの後にはbasic abilitiesが省略されています。 2.つまり、Speech「言葉」もtool making「道具を作ること」も、set us apart from animals「人と動物を分けている」basic abilities「基本的な能力」である、という点で同じなのです。 それが、[speech=tool making]ということになります。 ご質問3: <3.- -で囲まれたところをbasic abiliteとどうつなげるか> 1.この「- -」は「例えば」という例示として使われています。 2.ここではthose few, basic abilitiesの言い換えになっています。 3.このthose few, basic abilitiesは後にある関係代名詞thatの先行詞になっています。 4.関係詞thatはset~文末まで含みます。 5.ご質問文の訳出の流れは以下のようになります。(なお、訳例のない和訳はこのサイトでは禁じられており、削除されますので、解釈のヒントにとどめます。訳例を提示していただければ訂正訳を提示することができます。) (直訳)「言葉はset~abstractlyする数少ないbasic abilitiesの一つであり、例えばtool makingもその一つである」 となります。(上記の質問にあるヒントより、訳を汲み取って下さい) 以上ご参考までに。

a_as_b
質問者

お礼

ヒント→直訳が見事につながっていて、本当に分かりやすい解説でした! すごくスッキリしました。ありがとうございました!!

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (2)

• d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.3

#2です。 「この文章から[speech=tool making] が分かるらしいのですが」のご質問について、少し補足します。 Speech, in fact, is one of those few basic abilities. (話し言葉は、実際、そのような少数の基本能力の一つだ。) tool making is another (of those few, basic abilities) 道具つくりは、もう一つのそのような基本的能力だ。 単純化すると、Speech is one. Tool making is another.と言っているわけで、[speech=tool making]とは言っていないと思います。 ご質問の文章の解釈としては、speechとtool makingは、両方とも「それらの少数の能力」に該当するが、あくまでふたつの別々の能力だということになります。

a_as_b
質問者

お礼

どうやらspeechとtool makingが完全なイコールと捉えようとしていたために解釈につまずいていたようです。 d-y様の説明も非常に分かりやすかったです。 ありがとうございました。 (ここで#2のお礼も兼ねます。)

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
  • d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.2

言語は、そのような少数で基本的な能力のひとつです。(ちなみに)道具を作る能力もそういう能力のひとつです。そのような能力は、私たち(人類)を動物とは異なったものにしており、私たちが抽象的に考える能力と密接に関連しています。 “few, basic abilities”は、"few and basic abilities"とほぼ同じ意味だと思います。 “tool making is another”の部分は挿入句で、「道具つくり(の能力)は、(そういう能力の)もう一つだ」ということです。 “that sets us ~”は、意味の上では“those few, basic abilities”に続いています。(関係代名詞thatの先行詞はthose few, basic abilities”です)

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• and以降の文章や言葉が、何処にかかるのか。

よろしくお願いします。 よく戸惑うのがこれです。 and 以降の文章や言葉が、それ以前の文の何処にかかるのか?これをどのように見分けられるのか秘訣をご教授いただけませんでしょうか。 たとえば、 An Executive Administrative Assistant works closely with management-levelpersonnel and is exposed to important policy-making decisions. という文ですが、 is exposed to important policy-making decisions. が、Administrative Assistantにかかるのかmanagement-levelpersonnel にかかるのかどの様に見分けられるのでしょうか。 また、この文章の訳もいただければうれしいです。

• 下記の英文を訳してくださる方はいませんか?

Another problem is that the finding was based on a conception of “intelligence” that most developmental psychologists now reject. Specifically, the finding was from studies in which a single global IQ score was the only measure of a person’s intelligence. It is now known that intelligence is not a single unitary trait, but rather consists of several distinct and relatively independent skills or abilities, such as verbal fluency and numerical ability. The fact that these abilities are relatively independent suggests that they should not be limped together into one global score. Another reason not to combine them is that they seem to depend to different degrees on heredity. Finally, and of most importance to developmental psychologists, different abilities exhibit different patterns of change through the life span. お願いします。

• 次の英文を和訳してほしいです。

From the time that life first appeared on Earth, species have gone extinct. Extinction is a natural part of evolution. Species that are best at adapting to their environment survive. Other species are unable to adapt quickly enough – so they die off. So, why do endangered species get so much attention today? One reason is much of the extinction happening these days is unnatural. The leading reason for a species to become endangered is loss of habitat. As humans cut down forests for farmland, expand cities, or pollute waterways, to name a few ways that habitat is destroyed, animals, plants, and insects find it harder and harder to survive. Thus, the effect of humans on the natural world is causing species to become endangered, and, ultimately, go extinct. Another leading reason for a species to become endangered is climate change. For example, the lizards in this article could probably adapt to a gradual change in temperature. However, the rapid change in the climate, and the consequent decrease in lizard birthrate, threaten to doom many lizard species. If human activity is a major reason for climate change, then it would seem that we are changing our world far too rapidly for species to naturally adapt. Humans are highly adaptable, but most species need a lot of time to get used to changing conditions.

• 英文解釈について質問があります。(2) 12/3

In how much were the experiences from your solo- and collaborational efforts directly beneficial to this process? Stefan Németh: I think I have learned from some productions that I should try really hard to be satisfied with what I do. This sometimes means that you have to find out where the weak points in your track are. Basically it is about being honest to yourself and if you are not happy than you have to do it again and again, even if it is not always a pleasant process to discard some parts of the music or even a track. But in the end this gives me a much better feeling with the final version. Florian Kmet: I refined the recording process, improved my gear and the use of different instruments during the work on my last solo CD and other projects. Personally, I come back to lokai with a clear head, when I have done something fruitful with another project. Then I feel more open to go into this special sound cosmos, and enjoy to work on those details and structures. 1.疑問文のIn how muchの部分の文法の構造を教えて下さい。 2.I think I have learned from some productions that I should try really hard to be satisfied with what I do. この文章のproductionsのあとのthatは関係代名詞ですが、productionはどこに入るのでしょうか? 意味は、何曲かを通して学ぶ事が出来たと思う。その何曲かというのは、自分が満足するために本当に真剣にトライするべき何曲ってことだよ。 こういうことが言いたいのでしょうか? 3.Basically it is about being honest to yourself and if you are not happy than you have to do it again and again, even if it is not always a pleasant process to discard some parts of the music or even a track. この文章ですが、if you are~と even if~に対する主文はどれでしょうか?it is about being~ ここですか? それと全体の意味はどうなりますか? 4.Then I feel more open to go into this special sound cosmos, and enjoy to work on those details and structures. この文章のcosmosですが、これは「秩序、調和」と解釈し、特別な音の秩序に通じるさらなる空間を感じる。そしてその細かい1つ1つ、それと構造上で作業をする事を楽しんでいるよ。 なにやらいまいちつかめないですが、解釈はこの方向で合ってますか?

• この英文はどれくらいのレベルか

この英文は中3,高1,高2,高3の中でどれくらいのレベルだと思いますか? 全部読まないで答えてもらってもいいです 時間があったら回答お願いします   Don't we find it irresistible? The Internet is everywhere, and it is loved and used by everyone for everything. Many of us get up in the morning, and before saying hello to anyone we live with or before even having breakfast, we sit down and use and enjoy the Internet. We get our news, receive our mail, send our letters, write to our teachers, do our shopping, arrange our lives, schedule our travels, meet new friends, review all the knowledge in the universe, and most of us do it while we are sitting in a chair looking at screen. Can life get any better? Well, there are some disadvantages mixed in with all the advantages, and sometimes it is a good idea to take a closer look at the other side of paradise. But for now, let's just look at all the things we like to do with our new number one companion of the 21st century.   The United States military began the Internet with a small network of computers in the swinging 1960s. Non-military users began enjoying the benefits when companies and American universities were given access to do research related to military projects. The information window was opened and could not be closed. In 1989, the World Wide Web was presented to the world. I think any of us who make the Internet a daily companion would agree that nothing has been the same since we first decided to go online.   A quick survey reveals that most people will tell you that they use the Internet to stay in touch with others on the Internet. Most of us say that writing or receiving e-mail is our number one use of the Internet. We do this at home, at work, or wherever we sit down at a computer. We send and receive e-mails for fun, for personal reason, daily for business, and in all areas of our work. The Internet allows us to communicate from room to room, city to city, or country to country for the same price and the same immediate speed. Correspondence is king of Internet use.   As students, we use the Internet to do research and help us with our assignments. Friends or teachers often suggest we look up an article on the web. We act on those suggestions nearly as frequently as we write e-mails. We love the ability to grab quick chunks of information and make it ours. As students, we no longer have to search through dusty books and spend money, copying articles to get our research done. This unique research tool is available twenty-four hours a day, every day of the week, or as long as have electricity or a form of power to get us online.   For those of us who have watched travel agencies close up their doors and go out of business, we know that online travel is the future, and the future has arrived. Wherever we want to go and however we want to get there, the Internet is our guide and companion to those destinations. The Internet has changed the way we travel forever. Go online with a credit card in hand, and you can arrange for hotel in Dallas, a rental car in Los Angeles, or a safari in Kenya.   Electronic commerce or e-commerce is one of the fastest growing areas of Internet use. E-commerce is the buying and selling of either services or merchandise while using the Internet. Buying cars, sending musical greeting cards, downloading the newest music, and even trading stocks are done everyday on the Internet before some of us see the sun rise. Just imagine how many millions and millions of dollars have changed due to commercial activities since you started reading this.

• 英文解釈お願いします””一部だけでも本当にありがたいです!宜しくお願いします#

【終わりに】 1、人身取引問題はとても複合的な問題であると思う。 2、国境を越えたヒト・モノ・カネの容易化が人身取引に拍車をかけたとも言えるのではないだろうか。 3、被害者を人間と扱わない人身取引という犯罪は人権を重視する現代社会において許される行為ではない。 4、こうした犯罪を放置することは、国の威信に関わることだと思う。5、私は今まで日本の人身取引の実情を正確に把握してなかった。 6、今はそのことが恥ずかしくて仕方がない。 7、これまで政府をはじめとする機関の活動を中心に話してきた。 8、しかし、何より大切なのは私たち一人一人の意識であると私は思う。 9、いくら素晴らしい法律が存在して、犯罪するものを阻止し検挙し、被害者のケアが万全だとしても被害者が出ることに変わりはない。 10、それよりは私たち世界中の人々がこの人権問題を真摯に受け止め 考えることで、将来加害者となる可能性のある人間を一人でも多く作らないことが大切なことなのではないだろうか? 【Conclusion】 1、I think that human trafficking problem is a very compound problem. 2、It may be said that development of the globalization accelerated human trafficking. 3、As for the modern society making much of human rights, human trafficking which does not see a victim as a human being is not a permissible act. 4、It would be shameful for us to leave such a crime. 5、I did not know the fact of the human trafficking in Japan precisely so far. 6、It can not help being shameful now. 7、I talked mainly on the activity of the government so far. 8、However I think that it is the most important for us to be conscious about this problem above all. 9、Even if there is a perfect law, it is unchanged that a victim does not disappear perfectly. 10、I think that it is important for all of us in the world not to create another possible offender any more in the future by taking rather the human rights issue seriously than the law.

• 次の英文の誤りを教えてください(大学入試レベル)

There are much more wild animals living on this small island than in our entire city. 上の文章の誤りはどの部分でしょうか。また理由もご指摘いただけると幸いです

• 次の英文を和訳してほしいです。

The article mentions that the 50 research subjects were divided into three groups. Thus, each group likely had 16 or 17 members. With such a small sample size, the findings can only be described as preliminary. Even so, the results are very interesting because earlier studies with animals suggested that reduced-calorie diets may improve memory. This study, with its admittedly small sample, backs up the original research and makes it clear that the research should be continued. To be sure, a study done with a larger sample would seem to be the next step. Surprisingly, samples do not have to be very large in order to make accurate predictions about a population. In fact, using a sample is actually more accurate than if data on every member of a large group were collected. For one thing, with a large population, the time required to get data on each member would mean that conditions might change between the beginning of the data collection and the final analysis of the data. Another problem would be that more mistakes in entering the data would occur if too many members were surveyed. Thus, if a proper sample size is selected, and data are collected properly, an accurate prediction about a population can be made even with a relatively small sample.

• 長崎大学の入試長文について。

In addition, men are more likely to work dangerous jobs, he says; 90 percent of on-the-job deaths kill men. Farming is one field in which men tend to dominate and which abounds in dangers. Another report, delivered quite coincidentally at a U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention meeting in Atlanta this week, illustrates one of those dangers. Men are more than twice as likely to die during thunderstorms, There were 1,442 thunderstorm-related deaths in this country from 1994 through 2000, Songer's research finds, and 70 percent of the corpses were male. Most involved either lightning strikes or flash floods, with a few caused by tornadoes. One reason why men are more likely to die in a thunderstorm is that they tend to do the macho, thus dangerous thing. In a low-lying area, where the danger is drowning, men will often drive around a barrier, and drown. 「その上、男性は危険な仕事をしがちであると彼は言う。90%が危険である。・・・・・・・」 以下の英文がよくわかりませんでした。 この英文の訳を教えてください。よろしくお願いします。 全英文参照↓ ​http://virtual.parkland.edu/jfoust/online101/Angel/gifs/exp_pjt/ris...

• 次の英文の和訳をお願いします。

Climate change is often associated with extreme weather events, melting glaciers and rising sea levels. But it could also have a major impact on human, animal and plant health by making it easier for diseases to spread. Various germs and parasites may find the coming years a time to live longer and prosper. Rising temperatures are changing environments and removing some of their natural impediments. Sonia Altizer is an associate professor at the University of Georgia’s Odum School of Ecology and lead author of the study. She said it’s a review of research done over the past 10 years to see what trends and new information on climate change have emerged. “One of the big themes that has emerged is that there’s a lot of diseases, especially in natural systems, where there as a pretty clear signal that either the prevalence or severity of those diseases has increased in response to climate change.” She said some of those natural systems where the signal is strongest are in the arctic and in warmer oceans. “So in the arctic there are parasitic worms that affect muskox and reindeer, for example, that are developing faster and becoming more prevalent and expanding their ranges. And then in tropical oceans, like Caribbean coral reefs, there’s a large amount of evidence that has mounted that shows that warming interferes with the symbiosis of corals – makes them more vulnerable to disease and at the same time increases the growth rate of some lethal bacteria,” she said. But a second theme emerged indicating that sometimes climate change may have no effect at all. “The other main point that we focused on is that knowing why different pathogens respond differently to climate change is what’s needed to help us predict and ultimately manage disease outbreaks in people and animals and plants,” she said. Some countries will be much better prepared to handle the disease threat than others, like those in Europe and North America. . “Surveillance, vector control, modern sanitation, drugs, vaccines can be deployed to prevent outbreaks of a lot of diseases, especially vector borne disease or diarrheal disease that are much more problematic in the developing world. And so these can counter the effects of climate change and make it hard to detect increases in those pathogens,” said Altizer. Controlling vectors means controlling such things as mosquitos and ticks, which can carry malaria or dengue fever. In developing countries, pathogens affecting agriculture and wildlife could adversely affect food security and the livelihoods of indigenous peoples. So how concerned should health officials be? Altizer said there’s no simple answer. “I think that the answer to it really depends on the location. So where, when and what pathogen? So I think we’re at a stage now where in the next five to ten years scientists will be able to move towards a predictive framework that will be able to answer questions about where in the world and what pathogens are responding and will continue to respond most strongly to climate change.” Altizer says the effects of climate change will unfold over decades. So it’s vital to follow long-term standardized data for many diseases and pathogens. She said crop management may be a good example to follow. It has a long history of tracking disease outbreaks, forecasting potential threats and responding to those threats early.

このQ&Aのポイント
  • ThinkCentre M710e デスクトップ - Type 10URを使用しているPC素人です。最近、電源トラブルが頻発しており、電源が入らなかったり勝手に落ちたりする症状が発生しています。サイト上でのハードウェア診断でファンが見つからないと診断されたため、ファンの不具合が原因の可能性があるのでしょうか?
  • ThinkCentre M710e デスクトップ - Type 10URを使用しているPC素人です。最近、電源トラブルが頻発しており、電源が入らなかったり勝手に落ちたりする症状が発生しています。電源トラブルの原因として考えられるのは、ファンの不具合です。サイト上でのハードウェア診断でファンが見つからないと診断されたため、ファンが原因の可能性があると考えられます。
  • ThinkCentre M710e デスクトップ - Type 10URを使用しているPC素人です。最近、電源トラブルが頻発しており、電源が入らなかったり勝手に落ちたりする症状が発生しています。この問題の原因として考えられるのは、ファンの不具合です。ハードウェア診断でファンが見つからないと診断されたため、ファンの故障が原因の可能性が高いと考えられます。
回答を見る